Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Givi Windshield Install Question I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 11:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Givi Windshield Install Question I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 11:43 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Givi Windshield Install Question I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 11:41 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Givi Windshield Install Question I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 11:35 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Givi Windshield Install Question I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 11:28 am

» Silver Wing for sale - UK
Givi Windshield Install Question I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Today at 10:15 am

» LF extended back rest
Givi Windshield Install Question I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Today at 1:54 am

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Givi Windshield Install Question I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 5:54 pm

» Drive belt prices
Givi Windshield Install Question I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 10:26 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Givi Windshield Install Question I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 2:15 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Givi Windshield Install Question

Go down 
+2
Opalsboy
jdeereanton
6 posters
AuthorMessage

Givi Windshield Install Question Empty
PostSubject: Givi Windshield Install Question   Givi Windshield Install Question I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 04, 2009 11:37 am

I will be receiving my windshield today. About the 4 screws that must be removed I can see the two that are just above the headlight that look like they are holding the plastic molding that holds the windshield in place. I just want to confirm that the other two scres are those on the riders side of the windshield at each end of the "dashboard" where the stock windshield meets the dashboard. To me those don't look like they would have anything to do with replacing the windshield, but I don't see any other screws so they must be the ones.

Can anyone confirm this for me. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Givi Windshield Install Question   Givi Windshield Install Question I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 04, 2009 12:49 pm

Jay600,

The two screws on the dashboard side - these are located in the small triangular projections on either side of the windscreen above the two outermost dashboard vents. These two screws are machine screws as opposed to the two screws above the headlight which are self tapping screws.

Take care when removing the windscreen garnish; it is removed by sliding it forward. After removing the screws, insert your thumbs into the opening in the garnish and lift slightly up and pull the garnish forward. You may find it helpful to slide a stiff piece of plastic under the lower points of the garnish to facilitate the removal.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Windshield removal pictorial   Givi Windshield Install Question I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 04, 2009 1:16 pm

Hey Jay... Jeffr has posted this very helpful pictorial. Look at it and see if it can help you. Good luck and be sure to thank Jeff if it helps.

https://www.silverwing600.com/silver-wing-accessories-modifications-f5/givi-windshield-installation-pictorial-t46.htm?highlight=replacing+windshield

If for some reason the link doesn't work for you, do a search for windshield removal and find the link from Jeff. Good luck again. Gary
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Givi Windshield Install Question   Givi Windshield Install Question I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 04, 2009 3:26 pm

Thanks a lot for the pictures and reference. I was able to get them printed off. I'm really going to have to take a closer look for those upper set of screws. I must have been half(more like totally) asleep. From the pictorial I was definitely looking at the wrong screws.

Thanks agains for the reference.
Back to top Go down
mr fish
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
mr fish

Number of posts : 276
Registration date : 2009-03-23

PostSubject: Re: Givi Windshield Install Question   Givi Windshield Install Question I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 04, 2009 11:19 pm

Put my screen on today the pictorial was a great help so thank you jeffr

however my tip of the day is becareful if the screws are seized one of mine at the front rounded off so i went to drill it out and all it did was heat the screw and it melted the plastic doh Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-03

PostSubject: Re: Givi Windshield Install Question   Givi Windshield Install Question I_icon_minitimeSun May 30, 2010 12:50 am

I put my GIVI on today. Again, thanks to Jeff for his excellent tutorials. I also passed on the install of the two white metal reinforcing brackets. I reason that since I don't drive crazy fast on the highway (maximum I go is 110 km/h, as that's the highest speed limit in the province and I don't want or need any speeding tickets) then the GIVI won't be unduly stressed. If I drove regularly at 130+ km/h into strong cross or headwinds, then I would have probably gone with the reinforcement.
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Givi Windshield Install Question   Givi Windshield Install Question I_icon_minitimeSun May 30, 2010 2:14 am

Bigbird,

Glad it helped you out. I didn't put those brackets on either and I have been over 100 mph by GPS. I also cut mine down about an inch or so and it still keeps the wind off my head, and I"m 6' with a long torso. I wish I would have done a better job cuttint it though. The XL Clearview (with vent) I had flexed way too much which is why I bought the Givi. But only a few of us had that problem.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
ridr44
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2010-06-04

PostSubject: Installed Givi Screen   Givi Windshield Install Question I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 04, 2010 12:17 pm

Jeff, I now have my second SW 2002. I had installed my last givi without your instructions and I must highly compliment and thank you for the detailed posting. It was supremely easy. I want to know if you think there are any risks by not using their little brackets? You said you didn't use them and I followed you on this install...any risk at high speed??? Thanks so much dan
Back to top Go down
ridr44
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2010-06-04

PostSubject: Re: Givi Windshield Install Question   Givi Windshield Install Question I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 04, 2010 12:20 pm

Also...the givi is a bit tall for me too...I dealt with it last sw around but do people cut them down on a regular basis? And how? Thanks agian dan
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Givi Windshield Install Question   Givi Windshield Install Question I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Givi Windshield Install Question
Page 1 of 1