Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Givi windshield help please I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» Drive belt prices
Givi windshield help please I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 8:28 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Givi windshield help please I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 7:27 pm

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Givi windshield help please I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 7:16 pm

» New to Me Swing
Givi windshield help please I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» LF extended back rest
Givi windshield help please I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Yesterday at 4:42 pm

» I said Farewell...
Givi windshield help please I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Givi windshield help please I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:05 am

» Rear shock longevity
Givi windshield help please I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Givi windshield help please I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Givi windshield help please

Go down 
+6
Loosemarbles
Meldrew
MikeO
DickO
Mech 1 twa
Dabutcher
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Dabutcher
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2021-03-21

Givi windshield help please Empty
PostSubject: Givi windshield help please   Givi windshield help please I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 28, 2021 6:57 pm

I bought the Givi non adjustable windshield for my Swing. Amazon also recommended the accessories bracket kit. Both came today. I don’t think i need the brackets? Windshield mounted up just fine?
Anyone else mount the windshield?
Thanks. DGivi windshield help please Dcebfa10
Givi windshield help please Fed72510
Givi windshield help please 69b14b10
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Givi windshield help please   Givi windshield help please I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 28, 2021 7:52 pm

If my memory serves me you only need to drill two holes through plastic and fasteners are already under there. Drill slowly as to not damage threads, easy and remove the other bolts and use brackets.

Use them stops a lot of vibration at idle and just the proper way. GIVI adjustable has the same brackets.
Back to top Go down
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1018
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Givi windshield help please   Givi windshield help please I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 28, 2021 11:56 pm

Hi Dabutcher... I've got the standard high Givi (not cut down) and never noticed any ill effects... never used the brackets... many years ago the subject came up and think the bracket use was a 50-50 proposition...
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3791
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Givi windshield help please   Givi windshield help please I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 29, 2021 3:39 am

I've said elsewhere on the Forum that 'driling' the two holes in the plastic can be done with a sharp drill-bit held in the hand; there really is no need to use an electric drill although it might be helpful for us oldies with arthritic fingers to use a hand-drill.
The plastic there is quite thin and only a little pressure to get the hole started was necessary when I fitted the AF 214 Givi screen.
I used a metal-drilling bit.

Last edited by MikeO on Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4178
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Givi windshield help please   Givi windshield help please I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 29, 2021 4:22 am

There's probably more topics and posts about installing the Givi AF 214 and DT 214 screens than any other Silver Wing related subject on this forum.

There's also a useful installation Pictorial and numerous posts about drilling through the thin plastic to reveal the captured nuts used to secure the two metal brackets. It’s up the the owner whether they think fitting the brackets are necessary or are surplus to requirements.

I used the brackets simply because they were part of the installation kit, and removed them along with the Airflow when I sold the scooter.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1564
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Givi windshield help please   Givi windshield help please I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 29, 2021 4:14 pm

I installed the brackets on my 214. It took a bit of adjustment to the brackets using pliers. If you're careful when drilling the holes, it works fine.
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 516
Registration date : 2020-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Givi windshield help please   Givi windshield help please I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 29, 2021 5:04 pm

I don't have an aftermarket windshield or the brackets, but IMO just installing the 2 bolts made a world of difference in the rigidity of my oem fairing and windshield installation, so there they are in  Cool

I did not use a drill, used a mini torch, machinist scribe and a small round file ?, accessed the back area of metal bracket nut by removing meter cover piece, etc. I heated the hook end of scribe with a mini torch and located/melted hole from backside of nut, then heated straight end and push thru hole from fairing side, sized hole with file to a slight loose fit of bolt, done. procedure not for shaky/careless hands  Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: Givi windshield help please   Givi windshield help please I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 29, 2021 5:11 pm

Givi windshield help please Sw6011
Givi windshield help please Sw6111
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Givi windshield help please   Givi windshield help please I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 29, 2021 5:18 pm

FWIW those Givi brackets are intended to help reduce the effect of torsional stress caused by air pressure & side winds on the larger (than OEM) windscreen. There have been several reports of the top half of the Air Flow screen coming off at speed. Torsional stress and less than really tight adjustment locks contribute to that. YMMV.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4178
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Givi windshield help please   Givi windshield help please I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 29, 2021 5:35 pm

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
There have been several reports of the top half of the Air Flow screen coming off at speed. Torsional stress and less than really tight adjustment locks contribute to that. YMMV.

The reports you mention Timothy came mainly from me. I can assure you that tortional stress and less than really tight adjustment locks had nothing to either incident.

I remedied the problem, had visual markers on the second replacement that would warn me of any potential movement out of position, and installed a Wunderlich wind deflector on top of the screen that cost three times as much as the Givi replacement. I'd have been really pissed off if I'd lost that.

The Airflow was removed when I sold the Silver Wing, and the wind spoiler is now doing it's job on the higher Givi screen on my Forza.

There was I recall online concern from forum members worried about potentially losing their Airflow top screens. I was criticised as selfish when I was reluctant to pass on a grandly named retention mod I'd made to my screen to those that had no problems at all.

Hands up everyone who's lost an Airflow top screen since then and posted about it on here. I vaguely remember one.

Last edited by Meldrew on Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:37 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: Givi windshield help please   Givi windshield help please I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 29, 2021 5:36 pm

Good Posting CJ, engineers may not always be right, but common sense 101 on this one dictates, bigger area needs more support.
Back to top Go down
GoonerKev
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
GoonerKev

Number of posts : 409
Registration date : 2019-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Givi windshield help please   Givi windshield help please I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 30, 2021 3:11 am

As Loosemarbles & Meldrew have said, just take your time in the drilling process and all will be well, follow the instructions to the letter & it will fit just right, good luck with it.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3791
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Givi windshield help please   Givi windshield help please I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 30, 2021 3:35 am

And me! Smile
Back to top Go down
johnd
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 543
Registration date : 2010-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Givi windshield help please   Givi windshield help please I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2021 10:31 am

I too have installed the brackets many years ago without any issues. After a few years removed them and have not noticed any difference.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Givi windshield help please   Givi windshield help please I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Givi windshield help please
Page 1 of 1