Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Ignition wires to which plug?
Hello from Louisiana I_icon_minitimeby DescendingRaven Today at 12:17 pm

» noise under load
Hello from Louisiana I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 2:38 am

» Hello from Illinois!
Hello from Louisiana I_icon_minitimeby DescendingRaven Yesterday at 2:13 pm

» Silverwing Brakes
Hello from Louisiana I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Tue May 14, 2024 11:57 pm

» LF extended back rest
Hello from Louisiana I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Mon May 13, 2024 7:57 pm

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
Hello from Louisiana I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Mon May 13, 2024 12:53 pm

» checking the oil
Hello from Louisiana I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Mon May 13, 2024 10:11 am

» Left brake micro-switch
Hello from Louisiana I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
Hello from Louisiana I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

» Greetings from a 'Wing' newbie
Hello from Louisiana I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Fri May 10, 2024 8:11 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Hello from Louisiana

Go down 
+6
DickO
Okiedolkle
"Hi Yo"
DennisB
robert
SonnyO
10 posters
AuthorMessage
SonnyO
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
SonnyO

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2012-07-23

Hello from Louisiana Empty
PostSubject: Hello from Louisiana   Hello from Louisiana I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2012 1:14 am

I don't yet own a scooter but getting closer to taking the plunge, thanks mostly to forum members here and the info shared on this site.

I have ridden motorcycles since '99, the last a Goldwing bought new in '05 until May of last year. Fantastic bike, but health issues made it progressively more difficult to climb on/off, and dealing with it at stops.

Any way, I really expected that to be the end of my riding, then recently I found this site and a few others that clearly show that a scooter would fit my needs and put the FUN back in riding.

Based on what I have learned so far, looks like a Silverwing ABS is in my future!

Back to top Go down
robert
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
robert

Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2010-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Louisiana   Hello from Louisiana I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2012 1:26 am

Welcome SonnyO, Take that plunge, the Silver Wing was made for old farts like us, step thru, twist and go, plenty of power, it does'nt get much better. Ride Safe.
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Louisiana   Hello from Louisiana I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2012 7:40 am

Hi SonnyO,

Welcome to the forum. Great to have you with us. cheers
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Hello from Louisiana 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Louisiana   Hello from Louisiana I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2012 8:01 am

welcome Howdy from next door. I really like my Silverwing for running around town and short trips. I haven't had a chance (darn work) to take longer trips, but I hope to in the future. Have you checked the "For Sale" section here? Sometimes there are some good deals.
Back to top Go down
SonnyO
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
SonnyO

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Louisiana   Hello from Louisiana I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2012 10:07 am

Thanks guys!

Just welcomed a new grand baby last night, number 8!

Needless to say my bike shopping will be delayed for a bit.

Robert, the step thru, low cog, and nearly 400lbs less weight than the Goldwing should make the scooter perfect for me.

Hi-Yo, I too enjoy(or did when I had a ride) the local short trips on a regular basis. But my real passion is road trips where a buddy and I have covered much of western US, Canadian rockies, and one trip up the BRP. It's great to see the Silverwing can be set up for long distance trips. Seems the tank size is somewhat limiting compared to my past rides but still doable. Can't wait to get back in the saddle!

Last edited by SonnyO on Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Okiedolkle
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Okiedolkle

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2012-06-27

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Louisiana   Hello from Louisiana I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2012 7:13 pm

Go for it, SonnyO. SilverWings are a blast. At least that is what I have discovered since I got mine several weeks ago.
(OK, so I cheated a little bit by buying one with a Trike kit Smile )

Homer
Back to top Go down
SonnyO
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
SonnyO

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Louisiana   Hello from Louisiana I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2012 8:08 pm

It is not cheating to be happy, and riding, no matter how we do it!
Wife and I started riding bicycles Nov. last year, every day around the subdivision, about 5 miles. Net effect was to improve my leg strength and start me on the path back to a motorized version!
Back to top Go down
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1018
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Louisiana   Hello from Louisiana I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2012 12:32 am

Greetings and Welcome to Ya' "SonnyO",

Sounds like the SWing will be just right for you. It was for me when I started out as a "brand new" rider at age 63 or thereabouts. And this has proven to be the best site goin' for pretty much all the info you might need.
Good Luck and happy shopping!!
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Louisiana   Hello from Louisiana I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2012 12:56 am

cheers SonnyO, congratulations on the newest grandchild! cheers
Back to top Go down
SonnyO
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
SonnyO

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Louisiana   Hello from Louisiana I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2012 2:26 am

Thanks again guys for the warm welcome.

Hi Yo, those grand babies are special, they call me "Tickle Monster".

DickO, you did it right and made the right choice the first time. Impressive to start riding at 63! Thought I was done at 61. My primary traveling buddy is 71, rides an HD Electraglide Classic. I went thru 4 bikes over the last 12 or so years. Honda Magna, BMW K1100LT, Honda ST1100, and finally the Goldwing. Enjoyed every one. Hopefully, the Swing will be the sweet spot!
Back to top Go down
SonnyO
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
SonnyO

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Louisiana   Hello from Louisiana I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2012 10:32 pm

Picked up new 2012 Swing today! Naturally it was raining.
Was only able to add a few miles, then off to visit new granddaughter.
First impression, boy it feels strange to ride a motorbike after over a year on only a bicycle! I really like the low cog. Even as new to it as I am, I had little trouble at low speed. Will definitely need to use a few of your ideas here to improve the riding position(need a little more leg room) and eventually the windshield.
Thanks again for all the good info available here, I look forward to many Smiles on the Swing!
Back to top Go down
SonnyO
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
SonnyO

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Louisiana   Hello from Louisiana I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2012 10:42 am

Ok, did 100 mi. this morning, including some parking lot time. I am completely sold on this bike. Without a doubt, the best choice for me.
Back to top Go down
Windrider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Windrider

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2010-07-05

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Louisiana   Hello from Louisiana I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2012 10:44 am

Where In Louisiana are you? I am in Tyler, Tx.
Back to top Go down
SonnyO
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
SonnyO

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Louisiana   Hello from Louisiana I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2012 11:01 am

I'm in the town of Central, just northeast of Baton Rouge.
Spent some time in Tyler a few years ago. We built a new unit for a petrochemical co. I worked for and the modules were fabricated in Tyler and shipped here.
Back to top Go down
SonnyO
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
SonnyO

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Louisiana   Hello from Louisiana I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2012 10:58 am

Did the "buttrest to backrest conversion" as outlined here, simple and works great(Thanks!). I also added an additional hole to drop it down an inch or so. Already had the Walmart pad from previous bikes. Good to go now!
Did another 100 mi short run this morning on the backroads around here. One was under construction. You know, the the ones where they grind up most of the original surface resulting in grooves in the direction of the roadway. Forgot how squirrely that feels. Other than that a great(hot) morning.
Looks like an oil change next week......
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Louisiana   Hello from Louisiana I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2012 3:58 pm

SonnyO, I'm sure you've read the maintenance tips on oil change, but make sure you get the 24mm 6 point socket. I picked up one at AutoZone. From what I've read, the 6 point socket is needed to keep from rounding off the tappet. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
Back to top Go down
MarkB
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
MarkB

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2011-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Louisiana   Hello from Louisiana I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2012 9:09 pm

Welcome, SonnyO, and congrats on the new grandchild.

Other than a Yamaha 450 which I rode for just a summer in '94, the Swing has been my only bike. So far I've put over 8000 miles on it since I got it last Sept. and I'm planning to put another 1000 miles on it this weekend. With it's ample storage and excellent handling it doesn't need much to fit it for long distance touring. The main one for me is the GIVI topcase - and the Admore lighting for it.

This site has been great for ideas, tips, cautions, and just general comraderie. All of my 'farkles' originated here.

Enjoy the ride.
Back to top Go down
SonnyO
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
SonnyO

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Louisiana   Hello from Louisiana I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2012 10:36 pm

Hi Yo, I have read much of the maintenance tips section and have the correct socket on hand. Have the Honda service manual on the way. Thanks!

MarkB, Glad to hear from someone who has put the Swing on the road as I plan to do. I intended to purchase/install a Givi top box. Had 52l for a few years on an ST1100. Turns out my dealer needed to move a 46l Shad box ordered for another customer, not picked up. $100 with mounting plate/hardware. Appears to be decent quality and similar function to the Givi. That, underseat storage and a waterproof Cabelas bag I secure to the passenger seat will easily handle what I carry for trips. I am very safety conscious and my next addition will be additional tail/brake lights, probably the Admore as you have.
I really would like to hear about your travel on the bike, any comments you could share would be greatly appreciated.
This site is a terrific resource!
Back to top Go down
MarkB
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
MarkB

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Louisiana   Hello from Louisiana I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 08, 2012 1:07 am

Well, the trip to Ottawa went well. Heading up last Thursday after work I only did 3+ hrs before calling it a night and stayed at an Econolodge in Vermont. (Nice room, somewhat aged but clean and confortable - with breakfast - for ~$65.) I visited my sister in Montreal, QC for a couple of hrs and then headed on to Ottawa, ON. (I had a scare at one point, though. I made a quick decision to turn into an upcoming road instead of staying on my current path - when, as I was breaking and rolling into the road, I saw it was all gravel! I quickly released the breaks and aimed the bike straight - rolling onto the gravel shoulder of my current road (and abandoning the road I had aimed for). I was able to keep the bike upright and let the gravel do the braking. Once I was stablized, I just eased the throttle on and carried on my original road. Whew! No more quick decisions!) The weather was somewhat overcast but no rain to speak of. My E52 topbox normally would have been more than adequate for my travelling gear but my sister-in-law had bought a matress cover online which I offered to bring with me - so it was cramed solid (as was the trunk). But everything fit.

Coming home yesterday was more of an endurance test, though. It took about 10 hrs, including gas, border, and rest stops. Although I did what I could to stretch and shift my riding position frequently, by the time I was about 1/2hr away from home my shoulders were burning from fatigue and I had to take another break. I'm glad I had mounted my Breakaway throttle lock, though. That and the Crampbuster were essential in relieving the strain on my right wrist. The Swing performed like a champ, though. It never gave me any trouble... except that today it sounds rougher than I think it should and there seems to be a slight wobble in the front wheel. I may have to take it in to the shop to have it looked at.
Back to top Go down
SonnyO
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
SonnyO

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Louisiana   Hello from Louisiana I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 08, 2012 7:11 am

MarkB,

Glad you had a safe trip. Gravel roads/shoulders can certainly be a bit unnerving.
I have been riding locally so far, will need to do the first oil change this week. Thinking about a trip up the Natchez Trace to Nashville, just a relaxed ride with minimal traffic.
Are you using the stock windshield, don't see an aftermarket shield on your list? With a full face helmet I find it bearable, but have not been on the superslab yet.
Hope the bike is ok, let us know what you find.
Back to top Go down
Windrider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Windrider

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2010-07-05

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Louisiana   Hello from Louisiana I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 08, 2012 8:42 am

SonnyO, The Trace is a nice ride. I rode it in 2007. Watch out for the Deer(there are lots of them) and the wild turkeys, Seen lots of them too. It was a nice ride. My Wife and I was on A Goldwing trike then.
Back to top Go down
SonnyO
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
SonnyO

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Louisiana   Hello from Louisiana I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 08, 2012 10:31 am

Windrider,

The Trace is a nice ride. The south end is within a couple hours of here so we have done it several times over the years, preferring the northern section above Tupelo. It is not very exciting as motorcycle roads go, but nice scenery(especially with fall colors), low speed, minimal traffic, historical sites, and yes - many critters! One of the more interesting sites is at mile marker 338, just above the Tennessee River crossing. A guy has constructed a rather massive rock wall in honor of his Native American heritage. We also always stop at the Meriwether Lewis site. My last time there was also on a Goldwing.

I like your signature line - my riding buddy actually has "GEEZER" as his license plate.

Added a few pics of the trace to my album.
Back to top Go down
MarkB
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
MarkB

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Louisiana   Hello from Louisiana I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 08, 2012 5:58 pm

SonnyO,

I was all set to get the Givi Adjustable AirFlow but I had put Barkbuster handguards on my bike which are too large for the wider windscreen - so, yes, I settled for the Honda OEM windscreen. My helmet is a fullface flip-up and I find that the air current actually does ride up over it. (I'm only 5'4" so, while I can see over the windscreen, I don't need a lot of deflection.)

The bike seems to be holding up. I inserted an alan key in the axle holes on the right side and it is pressed against the outside of the fork mount. The added tension seems to have settled the wheel. I think I'll order some new bearings anyway.

It sounds like you have some nice riding country out there. Enjoy it. Smile
Back to top Go down
jmcamionero71
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
jmcamionero71

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2012-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Louisiana   Hello from Louisiana I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2012 1:45 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum welcome
Back to top Go down
SonnyO
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
SonnyO

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Louisiana   Hello from Louisiana I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2012 10:17 pm

Thanks, Jmcamionero71!

MarkB, I'm with you, stock screen is ok with the full face. Making a short trip next week and that will decide if I need the AF214.

First oil change was uneventful, thanks to info from you guys. Installed Admore tail light today, fit fine under the top box mounting plate. My HD riding buddy may add one to his bike!

I have two minor concerns at this point, and DennisB suggested they were really no problem. The oil filter and hose just below it appear vulnerable to road debris, and I probably will fabricate some sort of guard for this area. On the Goldwing the oil filter was closer to the front wheel, and there were several cases of filter penetration by road debris. Many guys, including me, added belly pans to protect the filter. Also, the radiator seems exposed with some of the pics I have seen of other bikes showing numerous dings to the fins. I will probably add a piece of hardware cloth to catch any large debris, yet not affect air flow.
Anyone ever have a problem with either of these?
Back to top Go down
MarkB
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
MarkB

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Louisiana   Hello from Louisiana I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 03, 2012 9:09 pm

Good observations, SonnyO. I do worry somewhat about the radiator fins - but I didn't see any problems with mine when I did some wiring under there (for the aux headlights and the heated grips, etc.).

I just did my very first oil change myself on Sunday - also thanks to JeffR's excellent pics and discription. I discovered that my shop - which did my previous oil changes - gave me a K&N oil filter which has a standard 17mm bolt head welded on for easier attachement/removal. I checked the K&N website and it looks like an excellent filter. My big question now is, do I have to replace it every oil change? I held onto it after installing the Walmart filter I bought because if I can use it again, I'd surely like to.

To address your point, though - it seems to me Dennis is right. The location of the filter seems to be out of the way of tossed up debris. It looks far enough back from the front wheel.
Back to top Go down
SonnyO
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
SonnyO

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Louisiana   Hello from Louisiana I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 03, 2012 10:15 pm

MarkB,

I suppose I am a bit anal about lubrication. I will not say you must change the filter every time, but I do. Condition of a used filter is an unknown(unless you cut it open). My recommendation: For $10 or less, always install a new filter with oil change. It gives me piece of mind to have fresh, clean oil in the bike, so I change it often and normally use synthetic. I have a few filters on hand, the purolator and also the K&N which are excellent. However, I plan to stick with the Honda filter until warranty is up. I know it is not required, but prefer to avoid the issue should a problem arise.

On the filter guard, you no doubt are correct, it should be ok. But again, to avoid worrying about it on some remote road, I fashioned a piece of hardware cloth to protect the filter and hose(may eventually replace this with aluminum or ss sheet metal). It can easily be removed for servicing.

I tend to ramble on just a bit, please bear with me. Although not directly related to the topic, I would like to share one of the strange experiences I had on a bike as an example of what can happen. Riding buddy and I were following the Lewis and Clark trail one year and were above Mobridge, S Dakota in southern N Dakota, hwy 1806 along the Missouri River. Middle of nowhere. I had added an electronic compass to the ST1100 I had at the time. It had a snap in mount about like gps' use today but not as robust. Anyway, it was powered by a 12v adapter connected to the bike. Compass was jarred loose by a bump and because it was connected by the coiled power cord it went under the bike where the rear wheel picked it up and it was trapped momentarily between the swingarm and tire. Terrible howling noise before it shattered and I quickly stopped(thankfully, no traffic on this road). That piece of plastic cut 2 parallel, deep circumferential grooves all the way around the tire tread. Fortunately the belts were not cut but were visible in spots. The tire held as we slowly made our way to Mandan, N Dakota where I found a replacement tire. The point of this long winded story is that sh!t happens, that we cannot predict, so I tend to attempt to address even low probability items ahead of time. BTW, on trips I carry an extra oil filter.
Back to top Go down
MarkB
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
MarkB

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Louisiana   Hello from Louisiana I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 08, 2012 10:35 pm

Good advice, SonnyO - and an excellent riding story. Glad everything worked out and you weren't hurt or totally stranded.

I guess I'll keep the K&N filter as my travelling spare (I head up to Canada every so often - about 500 miles one way.) and keep on getting fresh Walmart filters for the routine oil changes.
Back to top Go down
Dimond
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Dimond

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Louisiana   Hello from Louisiana I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 09, 2012 3:52 pm

Hi SonnyO - Thanks for getting a SWing and for sharing your observations.

I don't put much stock in the 'stock' Honda windscreen - they vibrate a lot at high speed and don't provide the best hand/wind/weather protection. The Givi Air Flow has some 'mouse ears' on the stationary screen that seem to provide me with a lot of hand protection - very little air on the hands. I think these 'mouse ears' give the windscreen a great deal of structural wind stability - as compared to the stock Honda screen that has no coverage in this area. I recently rode a SWing with a Givi tall windshield that had this same 'mouse ear' feature and it provided superior head protection (practically no air flow over head) as compared to my Givi AirFlow; however, I was always looking through the shield - and could not see over it (way too high) - which is great for weather protection - not so great if you like bees in your helmet and bugs in your teeth - or wind in your hair! Both Givi shields are great - each one for a different purpose.

Mark - Let us know how you finally resolve your front wheel wobble. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
SonnyO
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
SonnyO

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Louisiana   Hello from Louisiana I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 09, 2012 5:03 pm

Thanks, MarkB.

Dimond, Thanks, and I agree about the stock screen, a recent 1k mile trip changed my mind and I installed the AF214. No need to tell anyone here, but it made a dramatic difference in comfort and protection.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Louisiana   Hello from Louisiana I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hello from Louisiana
Page 1 of 1