Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
New Member - First Post I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 11:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
New Member - First Post I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 11:43 am

» May 2024 forum picture
New Member - First Post I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 11:41 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
New Member - First Post I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 11:35 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
New Member - First Post I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 11:28 am

» Silver Wing for sale - UK
New Member - First Post I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Today at 10:15 am

» LF extended back rest
New Member - First Post I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Today at 1:54 am

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
New Member - First Post I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 5:54 pm

» Drive belt prices
New Member - First Post I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 10:26 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
New Member - First Post I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 2:15 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

New Member - First Post

Go down 
+5
"Hi Yo"
larryinseattle
DennisB
MikeO
mjm1942
9 posters
AuthorMessage
mjm1942
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
mjm1942

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2012-03-28

New Member - First Post Empty
PostSubject: New Member - First Post   New Member - First Post I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 3:44 pm

Hello All. I have just bought a lightly used 2008 Silverwing. I was sold on it after just a short ride which met all the expectations I had from researching it on line. I have had a 2007 Piaggio MP3 250 for the last year and it is a great bike to learn on and for short rides but lacks reserve power on the highway. After checking out Majestys and Burgmans I settled on the Silverwing and it appears that I made the right choice. I live on Wolfe Island, one of the Thousand Islands, near Kingston, Ontario. I can always get on the ferry with my bike as I go to the front of the line no matter how busy it is. I'll be 70 this year and love riding - always finding an excuse to get out there.

As a new owner I would like to get your feedback on a couple of things. First item on my list is to swap out the windscreen. What is the best replacement? Also, considering a top-box. Again what recommendations do you have for me? Many thanks, Mike
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3794
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: New Member - First Post   New Member - First Post I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 4:28 pm

Hello, Mike, and welcome!

I think you've made the right choice. Smile

There are different opinions on both screens and top-boxes; I have a Givi 214 Airflow, the advantage of which is that it's adjustable for height, and a Givi E52 Monokey box.
Neither is cheap but both worth the price AFAIC.

Do have a look at DennisB's 'shop' for useful add-ons for the Silverwing and don't be afraid to ask questions although you'll probably find most of the answers if you use the SEARCH facility.
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: New Member - First Post   New Member - First Post I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 4:54 pm

Hi Mike,

Welcome aboard. cheers
Back to top Go down
larryinseattle
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 387
Registration date : 2010-03-31

PostSubject: Re: New Member - First Post   New Member - First Post I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 5:11 pm

Hi Mike.

I agree with MikeO on the Givi screen the Givi E52 Monokey box. You can find cheaper top boxes out there, but they will be cheap long after you paid for it. The Monokey is a long term solution.

The fixed height Givi windshield is a good choice as well. If you have some patience, you can find someone selling them used as that is a mod that the original buyer buys and then keeps the original. When they go to sell their bike, they put the original back on and sell the Givi on here or ebay.

I live in Edmonds, WA. We have a ferry here too, and I love the fact that scooters and motorcycles go to the front of the line, no matter what. No waiting for a ferry. My brother lives on the other side so we both travel back and forth quite a bit.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
New Member - First Post 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: New Member - First Post   New Member - First Post I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 5:39 pm

welcome As MikeO said, there is a wealth of information on both your questions by using the search function at the top of the forum. Only you know what is right for you and your riding needs. I know a lot of people like the Givi airflow because it is adjustable. Some people want a topcase with extra lights while others are happy with a milk crate and they are both right. Also you can look in the album section to see what others have done and how it looks. The main thing is enjoy the ride. small moped
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: New Member - First Post   New Member - First Post I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 7:34 pm

mjm1942 wrote:
live on Wolfe Island, one of the Thousand Islands, near Kingston, Ontario. I can always get on the ferry with my bike as I go to the front of the line no matter how busy it is.

I have been to Thousand Islands many times (not on the Silverwing) ... but I had to lookup which island was Wolfe Island ( http://g.co/maps/mqyq4 ).
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: New Member - First Post   New Member - First Post I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 9:37 pm

Glad you joined us Mike.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
twogun
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2012-03-29

PostSubject: Re: New Member - First Post   New Member - First Post I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 12:15 am

Hi,
Yes I am a newbie. I have a trike version of a 2011 Silverwing. I also am 6 ft 4 inches tall and have removed the driver back rest, thus my shins do not rub against the underside of the "dashboard". Still, I find the seaating uncomfortable. I see on the intro picture to this website seating pads. Are these pads available for purchase and if so, where? Also I am wondering if anyone has any knowledge of the Corbin seat? Thanks for any response to help my 81 year old skinny butt. Bob
Back to top Go down
wis-rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
wis-rider

Number of posts : 154
Registration date : 2010-12-31

PostSubject: Re: New Member - First Post   New Member - First Post I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 2:51 am

Welcome Mike. You will get answers on this wonderful Forum!
Back to top Go down
wis-rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
wis-rider

PostSubject: Re: New Member - First Post   New Member - First Post I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 2:53 am

Hey, Mike, what brand of Trike Kit do you have on you bike?
Back to top Go down
twogun
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2012-03-29

PostSubject: Re: New Member - First Post   New Member - First Post I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 5:56 am

Hi,
I fell in the middle of Jan and have a torn achilles and a hip replacement scheduled. I just needed training wheels so I could ride again without the fear of my hip giving away and falling again. I have the Tow-Pac insta trike (go to towpacinc.com to learn about it). I am pleased with it. My son and his friend installed it in about 5 hours. It has a reverse assist, but it is not hooked up yet. I think it was a mistake to have it added at the factory. I am pretty sure I wont be needing it.
If you were asking Mike about the trike, I apologize for responding, I am still new at this forum stuff. I will post a picture soon as I can -- Bob
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
New Member - First Post 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: New Member - First Post   New Member - First Post I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 5:59 am

Welcome Mike. Wal*Mart carries seat pads that are designed for ATV's, but several people use them on the S'Wing. Also, a number of people use the Airhawk cushions. If you use the search function at the top of the forum, you should find information on all these items.
Back to top Go down
wis-rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
wis-rider

PostSubject: Re: New Member - First Post   New Member - First Post I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 5:13 pm

Way to go Mike. All of that and all you needed was training wheel to keep you riding. You are to be commended.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Member - First Post   New Member - First Post I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Member - First Post
Page 1 of 1