Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
First Post, Hello and Help! I_icon_minitimeby bjkaraoke Today at 7:30 am

» Left brake micro-switch
First Post, Hello and Help! I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
First Post, Hello and Help! I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

» Greetings from a 'Wing' newbie
First Post, Hello and Help! I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Fri May 10, 2024 8:11 am

» Silverwing Brakes
First Post, Hello and Help! I_icon_minitimeby Silverwingdays Fri May 10, 2024 6:20 am

» YSS rear shocks for sale
First Post, Hello and Help! I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Wed May 08, 2024 12:11 pm

» checking the oil
First Post, Hello and Help! I_icon_minitimeby COMick Tue May 07, 2024 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
First Post, Hello and Help! I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Tue May 07, 2024 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
First Post, Hello and Help! I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
First Post, Hello and Help! I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

First Post, Hello and Help!

Go down 
+5
sc00ter
AldusFran
GHM-PM
MUCHoldERwingguy
artvarck
9 posters
AuthorMessage
artvarck
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
artvarck

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2022-03-03

First Post, Hello and Help! Empty
PostSubject: First Post, Hello and Help!   First Post, Hello and Help! I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2022 6:52 pm

Hiya -

Long time motorcycle rider, and hopefully soon-to-be scooter owner.

I am close to being the owner of a 2012 FSC600 w/ around 5,000 miles. I say "close to" because I am taking a look at it tomorrow, and feel fairly certain I am going to purchase it, however...

I'd like your expert opinion(s) on what I need to look for when inspecting this Silverwing. I know what I'd check out on a motorcycle (chain/sprocket/oil or any fluid leaks/fork seal/engine sound/etc), and am sure many of the same checks apply. But what should I look for that is unique to this scooter? I have zero knowledge of CVTs (except for my CR-V); is there anything to pay attention to there?

Thanks to this forum, I've already asked the question, "does it have the accessory plug in the left-hand storage compartment", to which the answer was Yes.

Thanks in advance, and I look forward to learning from and participating in this community.

-artvarck
Back to top Go down
MUCHoldERwingguy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 89
Registration date : 2022-01-29

PostSubject: Re: First Post, Hello and Help!   First Post, Hello and Help! I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2022 8:42 pm

artvarck, hello and welcome from 43135. The bike is 10 years old so tires and rubber parts are a question, does it have any records of the Maintenace done? Fluid changes including brake fluid and antifreeze and a belt inspection would be a good start. Was it stored inside and dry?
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2565
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: First Post, Hello and Help!   First Post, Hello and Help! I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2022 6:43 am

With only 5K on the clock it probably needs to be RUN! Make sure it starts and idles well. Fuel injection work can be expensive. Check the rubber as mentioned above, the tires probably look good but most likely need to be replaced anyway. That and fluid changes and you should be good, these are bulletproof machines. Good luck.
Back to top Go down
AldusFran
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 203
Registration date : 2015-06-13

PostSubject: Re: First Post, Hello and Help!   First Post, Hello and Help! I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2022 9:38 am

Welcome, artvarck; if you decide to buy this low mileage Silverwing ,the first thing I would do is get a good repair manual .The one I use is printed by Honda which are excellent and was found on Ebay. I'm on my fourth Swing and really enjoy their simplicity and ease of use. Good luck
Back to top Go down
sc00ter
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2018-07-16

PostSubject: Re: First Post, Hello and Help!   First Post, Hello and Help! I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2022 9:52 am

Sounds like the used Silverwing for sale at my local dealer. Is this a private seller or dealer? Does it come with any history? Price of said Silverwing?
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1567
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: First Post, Hello and Help!   First Post, Hello and Help! I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2022 2:34 pm

Welcome ardvarck. For what it's worth, my SW was my first scooter and like any machine it has it's idiosyncrasies.

At 5000 miles I can't see you having many issues. Assuming it hasn't been modified from stock I would suggest; that you look for an even idle speed; 1100rpm ideal but a little above this from cold. Think about the CVT, belt and centrifugal clutch all engaging smoothly for a steady take-off without any scraping or whining noises. Some juddering can be acceptable for the take-up but you'll know if it doesn't feel good.

BTW, check the parking brake. Some SW riders don't use it so it could be a bit sticky but is easily remedied.

There's plenty of help here if you have any issues but the age and mileage suggest that you might have a good'n there thumbs up
Back to top Go down
artvarck
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
artvarck

PostSubject: Re: First Post, Hello and Help!   First Post, Hello and Help! I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2022 7:28 pm

Thanks for the welcomes!

As the now-proud owner of an 2012 FSC600(!), let me try to answer your questions.

All the rubber was in surprisingly good condition, and the SW looked to have been stored under cover most of its life.  It looks like someone dropped it on the right side, an "oops" I have been guilty of in one of two parking lots and driveways in my life.

I've used one of the member's recent posts here to download the service manual .pdf. but will be purchasing a paper copy on eBay as well.

Private seller (Boulder, CO - I need to update my profile location), $3400, was asking $4K.  5500 miles.
Shoot!  I didn't check the parking brake.  Will do so shortly.
Oh, the owner was wrong; no accessory plug, just the rubber-covered blank where one would live.  I've seen good suggestions on this forum to add the plug, which I will likely be attempting.

Sadly, I got it home, and now it won't start (I made sure it was cold when I first inspected it). Lights, dash LEDs, but nothing happens when I hit the Go button. Hoping for an easy fix, but troubleshooting already begins...
[Edit: you have to pull the brake lever back with a little more force than I was expecting - it starts fine]

Oh - it's a lot of fun to ride!  Enough get up and go to [mostly] satisfy my need for speed on two wheels.

Thanks all!

-Art-
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1987
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: First Post, Hello and Help!   First Post, Hello and Help! I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2022 10:02 pm

Hi Art, My 08 SWing only has the rubber plug where the outlet is supposed to go. I just put a cigarette lighter socket under the seat and wired it right to the battery with a 10 Amp inline fuse and screwed it down so it wouldn't flop around. It's out of the way for my purposes and it works. I only use it for my MP3 player to keep it charged while riding. You'll notice in the photo the four speakers I have on the topbox. I also have a lighted toggle switch to turn on the Bluetooth receiver and 300 watt amp that are in the topbox. I put a lighted toggle switch on it because one time I forgot to turn it off and when I went to the garage to go for a ride the battery was stone dead. I learned my lesson!! I can hear my 50's and 60's music very nicely while going down the road. I have a Ram mount between the handlebars that holds my MP3 player. It works to my satisfaction.

First Post, Hello and Help! Coborn43
Back to top Go down
artvarck
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
artvarck

PostSubject: Re: First Post, Hello and Help!   First Post, Hello and Help! I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2022 8:51 am

Dale, that is a crazy SW! I am so curious how it became a trike, but I'll look over your previous posts to learn more.
I can't identify that top case? I just ordered the SR19 mounting kit, and have yet to decide on a Monokey case.
Are there any characteristics to distinguish models years between 2002-2013? They look the same to me.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: First Post, Hello and Help!   First Post, Hello and Help! I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2022 10:42 am

It's a Givi E52 top case, methinks.
They aren't cheap but last for ever.
Add to that: if you need a passenger backrest, the TB19 (I think) fits with the Givi boxes so one can take off the box and still have a backrest.

On the Forum is JeffR's How-To pictorial for fitting the backrest; it also points the way to fitting the Givi rack. All one has to do is drill four holes as marked instead of two.

It's here:

https://www.silverwing600.com/t31-givi-passenger-backrest-installation-pictorial
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1987
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: First Post, Hello and Help!   First Post, Hello and Help! I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2022 9:36 pm

Hi Art, It's a GIVI top box. Off the top of my head I can't remember the size. The trike kit is a Motor Trike kit. You can go onto their site and check them out. They also will tell you which dealers are in your area.
www.motortrike.com/ It's the GT3 kit.
My trike kit cost me about $8,000 total. That's for them to make it, ship it and have my Honda dealer install it. I also got all my parts back too.
It took a bit of getting used to but now I'm at home with riding it and love it. I rode it around town for an hour or so to get used to not leaning and how fast/slow to do intersections etc. Then I took it out on the highway for a few mile ride to see how it handled. It was great!! I only lost about 5 MPG on the highway but a bit more in town with stop and go. But either way it still gets better mileage than my pickup... LOL
I just went out and looked. It's a V56 Monokey box. I put this box on last summer. The one that came with the SWing when I bought it seemed "mis-used" shall I say. But it lasted me a few years until it started to not lock or close properly. The hinges didn't seem right either so I just said the heck with it and bought this one. It bolted right on to the existing bolt holes too so no problem. I've still got to install the electronics and speakers before summer.
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 929
Registration date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: First Post, Hello and Help!   First Post, Hello and Help! I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 06, 2022 12:32 pm

artvarck wrote:
... snipped ... Thanks for the welcomes!  As the now-proud owner of an 2012 FSC600(!), let me try to answer your questions.

[Edit: you have to pull the brake lever back with a little more force than I was expecting - it starts fine] Thanks all!  -Art-

Welcome aboard the board Art.  Regarding the left side lever, you can feel and hear the "click" when engaged for starting. It's subtle but it is there.  You can also observe it engaging if you're off the bike, observe and engage the left hand lever from the front and looking up.  I had to adjust mine after replacing the standard levers.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: First Post, Hello and Help!   First Post, Hello and Help! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

First Post, Hello and Help!
Page 1 of 1