Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New to Me Swing
Resetting the over-rev indicator light I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Today at 3:47 am

» I said Farewell...
Resetting the over-rev indicator light I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Yesterday at 8:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Resetting the over-rev indicator light I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 10:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Resetting the over-rev indicator light I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:21 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Resetting the over-rev indicator light I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:28 pm

» Drive belt prices
Resetting the over-rev indicator light I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:28 pm

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Resetting the over-rev indicator light I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Resetting the over-rev indicator light I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Resetting the over-rev indicator light I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Resetting the over-rev indicator light I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Resetting the over-rev indicator light

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2009-01-23

Resetting the over-rev indicator light Empty
PostSubject: Resetting the over-rev indicator light   Resetting the over-rev indicator light I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2009 2:33 pm

A couple weeks ago there was some discussion about the yellow over-rev indicator light. Well this past weekend I was accelerating onto the highway, uphill, while carrying a load and my over-rev light came on. Is this something I can reset myself, or do I need to take my bike to the dealership to get it reset?

Thanks for your advice.
DCC
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Resetting the over-rev indicator light   Resetting the over-rev indicator light I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2009 5:16 pm

Could you describe the location of the over-rev indicator. I do not have my owners manual with me, and am unfamiliar with this indicator.

As far as I knew the SilverWing instrumentation only includes an analog speedometer and tachometer, with LCD digital displays for odometer, twin tripmeters, fuel, clock and coolant temperature. Indicator lights display parking brake, FI (fuel injection), V-Belt, high beam, oil pressure and coolant temperature.

A V-Matic belt wear-indicator senses excessive belt slippage and illuminates an indicator light on the instrument panel.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

PostSubject: Re: Resetting the over-rev indicator light   Resetting the over-rev indicator light I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2009 5:35 pm

DCC,

I notice that you have the J.Costa Variator installed. I've read where some folks who have this installed are experiencing the "V" light coming on at various unexplainable moments. Is it possible that it is the "V" light that has illuminated?

You'd feel a slight hesitation and hear a change in engine pitch if the rev-limiter was active.
Back to top Go down
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

PostSubject: "V" light   Resetting the over-rev indicator light I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2009 6:01 pm

Dale:
Yes, it is the V light. I thought this indicated too high RPMs, but given my load and acceleration I figure it must have been belt slippage. So, how do I re-set the light?
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

PostSubject: Re: Resetting the over-rev indicator light   Resetting the over-rev indicator light I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2009 9:23 pm

DCC,

As I understand it -

With the ignition off, press & HOLD the two black buttons, (used to select trip odometers and reset them).

- keep them pressed in..

Switch on the ignition - wait a few seconds and the V light starts to flash.

Release the buttons and all is done - V light is reset.
Back to top Go down
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

PostSubject: Re: Resetting the over-rev indicator light   Resetting the over-rev indicator light I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2009 9:36 pm

Very good! Thanks Dale.
Back to top Go down
Bernardo
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Bernardo

Number of posts : 259
Registration date : 2008-12-25

PostSubject: Re: Resetting the over-rev indicator light   Resetting the over-rev indicator light I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2009 10:41 am

I posted this recently on a different forum... About the V light coming on after the J Costa has been installed...

I've had this too, and in the 7 months or so of having the J Costa installed, it's not been a problem, there has been no noticeable degradation in performance, scoot still matches the same revs to speed etc.... So, I've just reset the light. (With the ignition off, push in the two black odometer buttons, and keep them pressed in.. Switch on the ignition, wait a few seconds and the V light starts to flash, take fingers off the buttons and all is done, V light is reset)

It doesn't seem to matter how you ride the scoot, hard or gentle, the light just comes on anyway... What I might do one day is set the odometer and see if the light comes on at the same mileage intervals?

Actually I did that, and the intervals aren't the same.... It has been suggested that there the engine management system will make the V-light come on, if it senses that the revs are too high for certain speeds... Since the J Costa has a different rev to speed correlation than the stock variator, (the J costa revs a bit higher at lower speeds and a bit lower at higher speeds above 70mph) after a while the V light is triggered......

I just reset mine, though I might get round to just sticking a bit of black tape over the light..... That said it can still be useful as a warning I suppose in that if it keeps coming on all the time, then maybe it's time for a new drivebelt or variator weights.......
Back to top Go down
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

PostSubject: Re: Resetting the over-rev indicator light   Resetting the over-rev indicator light I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2009 3:02 pm

Bernardo:
I was following that thread as it was going because I has just installed a j costa, but until a couple of weeks ago the V light had not lit up. At the time it went on I was riding 2 up, and accelerating onto the highway while going up a hill. I was pretty hard into the throttle and that is when it went on. I just followed the reset instructions that JDeerearton posted and it appears that all is well - no further trouble.
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Resetting the over-rev indicator light   Resetting the over-rev indicator light I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2009 4:52 pm

I wouldn't worry about it. I happens to me sometimes and I just reset it. So, how do you like the J. Costa? It does give some nice acceleration and I like the added engine braking too while in the mountains. swing Had to throw in the new "Emoticon. I will have more later tonight too.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

PostSubject: Re: Resetting the over-rev indicator light   Resetting the over-rev indicator light I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2009 5:12 pm

Jeff:
I absolutely love how the J Costa boosted the performance of my bike. As you know, I also put on a K&N air filter and a Leo Vince exhaust, so my bike is very responsive. As I have posted before, I am a big person and I live above 5,600 feet above sea level, so my stock bike seemed a little anemic when I was trying to accelerate going uphill, but not anymore. The trade off is that I have seen my gas mileage drop about 2 or 3 mpg (from 50 to 51 mpg to 47 to 48 mpg), but that seems like a very small price to pay for a bike that will go 0 to 60 mph in less than 6 seconds and from 40 to 70 in what seems like only about 3 seconds. I am considering putting a power commander and hyperpro front springs on my bike this year to try to boost my gas mileage back over 50 mpg and improve high-speed handling. But then I am also considering (more like dreaming of) the purchase of a Kawasaki Concourse 1400, so either one of these options would improve high speed handling....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: When the V light keeps coming on   Resetting the over-rev indicator light I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2009 9:22 pm

Your drive belt can only go 52,000 miles before in breaks and when it does it will make this horrible noise. At about 50,000 miles on your belt whenever you go over 50 mph the V light will come on which is to warn you that your belt will break soon. No Silver Wing drive belt has ever gone over 52,000 miles.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Resetting the over-rev indicator light   Resetting the over-rev indicator light I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Resetting the over-rev indicator light
Page 1 of 1