Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

Welcome to the home for Honda SilverWing and everyone interested. This is a place to ask questions, share, and learn about the SilverWing and its dedicated riders. Please post an introduction when you join as a sign of Courtesy.

HomeCalendarGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in
Share | 

V-matic indicator light

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: V-matic indicator light   Tue 03 Mar 2009, 09:51

I have a 2002 Silverwing that the V-matic light comes on. When I take it to the service dept, they just reset it and state nothing is wrong.

Any ideas on why it is doing this? Is it a problem?
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2457
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: V-matic indicator light   Tue 03 Mar 2009, 10:01

pvretis wrote:
I have a 2002 Silverwing that the V-matic light comes on. When I take it to the service dept, they just reset it and state nothing is wrong.

Any ideas on why it is doing this? Is it a problem?

Are you using the J Costa variator?
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1295
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: v-matic light   Tue 03 Mar 2009, 16:13

If you are at a multiple of 16,000 miles, that is normal. It is just a reminder to have the belt changed. Nothing unusual about resetting it. I have read posts of folks that wait for many many miles before changing. I had my changed at 16,000, but won't hurt to go longer. Light means nothing else. Repeat... light is a mileage alert indicator only. Every 16,000 miles it is going to come on. Resetting is simple and you can make up your own mind about changing.

BTW.. J-Costa variator is probably a superior feature. However, I am certain your V-Light is going to relight itself with or without a J-Costa. Someone please advise me if I have been misinformed.
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2786
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: V-matic indicator light   Tue 03 Mar 2009, 17:07

Hi Gary,
Your absulotly.....RIGHT! 16,000 miles every time and then a reset. It's just the program on the scooters e-prom chip. cyclops

DennisB :D
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin

Number of posts : 2450
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: V-matic indicator light   Tue 03 Mar 2009, 17:53

I have a J. Costa and it has come on a couple of times, but only when I was going up a steeper hill 2 up. I just reset the light at the next stop and there was no difference in how the bike ran. I wounldn't worry about it too much though.
Back to top Go down
http://www.silverwing600.com
Bernardo
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 261
Registration date : 2008-12-25

PostSubject: Re: V-matic indicator light   Tue 03 Mar 2009, 17:58

About the V light coming on.......

I've had this too, although only after having the J Costa installed. My belt is OK still good for another five thousand miles or so. The light coming on has not been a problem, there has been no noticeable degradation in performance, scoot still matches the same revs to speed etc.... It doesn't seem to matter how you ride the scoot, hard or gentle, the light just comes on anyway... So, I've just reset the light each time. (With the ignition off, push in the two black odometer buttons, and keep them pressed in.. Switch on the ignition, wait a few seconds and the V light starts to flash, take fingers off the buttons and all is done, V light is reset)

I've read on a different forum it has been suggested the ECM aswell as being programmed to light the V-light after 16,000 miles, will also light the V-light if there is anything odd in the transmission, for example Engine revving higher than usual for a given speed. This does tie in with the J costa as it causes the engine to rev slighlty higher at lower speeds and after 70mph, vice versa.

This would also mean that if the V-light keeps coming on and more and more frequently, (rather than every now and then) chances are the belt is a bit too worn and needs a replacement
Back to top Go down

V-matic indicator light
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1