Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New to Me Swing
ABS Light Stays On I_icon_minitimeby john grinsel Today at 5:41 pm

» I said Farewell...
ABS Light Stays On I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Today at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
ABS Light Stays On I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
ABS Light Stays On I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
ABS Light Stays On I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
ABS Light Stays On I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
ABS Light Stays On I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
ABS Light Stays On I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
ABS Light Stays On I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
ABS Light Stays On I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

ABS Light Stays On

Go down 
+5
jdeereanton
Opalsboy
Waspie
mitch
DickO
9 posters
AuthorMessage
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1018
Registration date : 2008-12-23

ABS Light Stays On Empty
PostSubject: ABS Light Stays On   ABS Light Stays On I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 06, 2011 11:03 pm

Hi All,

Ran this writeup at the .org(?) site also but didn't want to miss anyone.

Just ran in to a new problem (for me). My 2005 SWing sat in my unheated garage for about 2 months and as expected, the battery went dead. I jumped it from my car, put my gear on, and headed down the highway to charge it back up. The ABS light that is suppose to go out above 5 mph or so remained on for my 6 mile round trip into our little village and back. Stopped, restarted, and accelerated to higher speeds several times... light stayed on. A visual inspection of the main brake components didn't reveal any discrepancies. Brakes "seemed" to work okay.

Checked the troubleshooting guide in the service manual and saw that there were several electrical circuits to be checked with a meter but that's not my strong suit. The most obvious thing I saw was to remove the left body panel and check a 30 amp system fuse for being blown. Guess I'll try that tomorrow. Barring that, I reckon I'm looking at a trip to the dealer. Thought I"d hit you guys up first though to see if there was anything else "more" obvious to check first. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
mitch
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
mitch

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2010-09-10

ABS Light Stays On Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABS Light Stays On   ABS Light Stays On I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 07, 2011 4:59 am

Morning DickO

I was having a similar problem with my Deauville last year.

Dealer told me that one of the main causes for ABS light to stay can be an undercharged / faulty battery.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

ABS Light Stays On Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABS Light Stays On   ABS Light Stays On I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 07, 2011 6:36 am

DickO, here's hoping it's something real simple.

I would be happy, nay, ecstatic if it was simply the battery drain. I'd settle for a blown fuse but that may mean finding out why such a large fuse blew.

Fingers crossed for you.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2009-01-10

ABS Light Stays On Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABS Light Stays On   ABS Light Stays On I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 07, 2011 8:25 am

I don't have any explanation for why I would try the following tip other than to say it worked on a Jeep Cherokee "Check Engine" light once upon a time.

Disconnect the battery for a minute or so. Then reconnect.

As I said, might not help in your case, but it is simple and FREE. Hope it is something as simple.
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

ABS Light Stays On Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABS Light Stays On   ABS Light Stays On I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 07, 2011 9:29 am

DickO,

I'm going to guess that your battery is probably the original battery. If so I'd posit the theory that a replacement battery will resolve the issue.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
rogerscoot
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2011-01-05

ABS Light Stays On Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABS Light Stays On   ABS Light Stays On I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 07, 2011 3:25 pm

I'm guessing here, but think this procedure might reset a number of items (like it works for the belt light)

Hold down the two buttons on the instrument panel and then turn on the ignition....hold for possibly ten seconds, and then start up the motor.

Nothing lost if it don't work.
Back to top Go down
wayneliz
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
wayneliz

Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2010-09-10

ABS Light Stays On Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABS Light Stays On   ABS Light Stays On I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 08, 2011 10:24 pm

As a former Service Director for Honda/Acura for many years, it has been my experience that Honda ABS ecu's don't take kindly to too low or too high system voltages. I would suggest you check the fuses, remove the battery connections and either fully charge the battery or replace it. If the problem still persists, a visit to the dealer is in in order to have the ABS diagnosed for possible damage from voltage surge at jump start. Good luck.

As a tip for everyone- make sure your ignition switch is turned off before attaching any type of battery jumper or charger. The voltage surge possible can damage many delicate electronic circuits!
Back to top Go down
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

ABS Light Stays On Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABS Light Stays On   ABS Light Stays On I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2011 1:54 am

Hi Again,
And thanks to everyone for their input on this problem. Family matters haven't let me get to the bike yet and it looks like 5 - 8 inches of snow tomorrow and Monday is going to preclude any quick-time scoots down the highway anyway. Will let you all know what I finally come up with. Thanks again.
Back to top Go down
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

ABS Light Stays On Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABS Light Stays On   ABS Light Stays On I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 27, 2011 9:19 pm

Hi All,
Very belated info on the resolution to my ABS problem stated above. Finally got a chance to get out of my driveway today; the snow finally melted enough. Anyway, because of the cold, I took the battery out and stored it for a week or a little longer and then stuck it back in to run the bike in the garage again. Took it out once more until yesterday to start the bike again just to make sure I'd be able ride it in to the big city for any possible repair.

As I said before, the snow was melted enough to clear the driveway so I threw on my gear to make a run down the county byway. Lo and behold ! ! The ABS light went out just as it was suppose to. Checked the "integrity" of the system as best I could and all seemed well. I guess it was just removing and reinstalling the battery that must have performed some sort of reset on the system (a la Opalsboy). At least that's my guess too. But wanted to let everyone know what the outcome was. Thanks again for everyone's input.

By the way... I'm gonna' go buy o'them-there little "battery tender" thingies tomorrow. Smile
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

ABS Light Stays On Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABS Light Stays On   ABS Light Stays On I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 27, 2011 11:57 pm

Dick,

I'm glad you found the solution to your problem. I guess in this case I'm lucky not to have ABS so I will never have that problem. I also didn't think Kansas got that much snow. Is this normal? I'm from Illinois and we got snow but I thought Kansas was a bit further south and didn't get that kind of snow. Good luck and hope you get to ride more.

Also, you don't need to say " the .org site (?). You can go ahead and give the entire name, www.silverwing.org , since we don't censor here. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

ABS Light Stays On Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABS Light Stays On   ABS Light Stays On I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 28, 2011 12:59 am

Hi JeffR,
Yes, having to pay for extra problems with ABS can be a pain. I was just lucky this time and a big load was lifted off my shoulders when everything worked like it did. With the weather starting to moderate a little more now, maybe I'll be able to hit the road again.

And yes, we are seeming to get what "use" to be ordinary snowfall amounts around here now. Have had 3 snows this past month and are expecting another in a few days. Back in the '50's, as a kid, I can remember getting snows all the time, especially blizzards at least once a year ('course, I was walking to school too, both ways up hill, if I remember correctly); then went into the service and wasn't around anymore to keep track but the last 8 or so years haven't been near as bad as the last two most recent years.
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2009-01-10

ABS Light Stays On Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABS Light Stays On   ABS Light Stays On I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 28, 2011 9:26 am

I taught school in Kansas one year back in 1966-67. We got two rains(the day I moved in and the day I moved out), one snow (11" during Christmas break)... LOTS of wind... and if my memory is correct, there were NO hills to walk to school up or down...

BTW Jeff... I have adjusted to the ABS brakes very easily. Big difference. I haven't completely gotten use to them yet, but very nice to have.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

ABS Light Stays On Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABS Light Stays On   ABS Light Stays On I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 28, 2011 10:27 am

Great news DickO, At least it was easy, cheap and quick to resolve.

Great guys on here, at least one answer cured a members problems. cheers
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
Sweendog
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Sweendog

Number of posts : 154
Registration date : 2009-07-12

ABS Light Stays On Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABS Light Stays On   ABS Light Stays On I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 29, 2011 9:39 am

Good news, free fixes are the best fixes. Wink

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

ABS Light Stays On Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABS Light Stays On   ABS Light Stays On I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

ABS Light Stays On
Page 1 of 1