Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» LF extended back rest
Who needs a Harley? I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Today at 1:55 pm

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Who needs a Harley? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Today at 12:54 pm

» Drive belt prices
Who needs a Harley? I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 5:26 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Who needs a Harley? I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Who needs a Harley? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 7:27 pm

» New to Me Swing
Who needs a Harley? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» I said Farewell...
Who needs a Harley? I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Who needs a Harley? I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:05 am

» Rear shock longevity
Who needs a Harley? I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Who needs a Harley? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Who needs a Harley?

Go down 
+4
dspevack
ronjr009
DennisB
dwOhio
8 posters
AuthorMessage
dwOhio
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
dwOhio

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2010-05-06

Who needs a Harley? Empty
PostSubject: Who needs a Harley?   Who needs a Harley? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 30, 2010 11:54 am

I have ridden my 2009 Honda Silverwing over 2000 miles after purchasing it in April of this year. It had only one mile when I bought it.
I can do all the legal speeds plus some with my Silver wing, just like a Harley. I get better mileage than the big ol' Harleys. My Silver wing is a touring scooter so it can go anywhere, just like a Harley. The Silverwing is quiet and powerful, unlike a Harley which may be powerful but sure isn't quiet. People don't have to cover their ears when I scoot by.
I don't have to shift gears, unlike a Harley.
I really like that purr when I get up to 35 to 45 mph.
Too bad Harley doesn't make anything like this. Who needs a Harley? 383825
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who needs a Harley?   Who needs a Harley? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 30, 2010 12:02 pm

Can you imagine the hardcore Harley guys' outrage if H-D put out a Harley Scoot?

There's no reason they shouldn't, they built a gigantic Harley dealership in Columbia Tennessee and if you go in there half the stuff is made in China. Not the bikes, but half the accessories, and you can't get anything there without a Harley logo on it.

(UPDATE: I meant a maxi-scoot.)

Last edited by DuggleBogey on Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Who needs a Harley?   Who needs a Harley? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 30, 2010 12:19 pm

They did! Who needs a Harley? Affraid

Who needs a Harley? Harley-davidson-scooter-ad

Who needs a Harley? 1964-harley-davidson-scooter1
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Who needs a Harley?   Who needs a Harley? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 30, 2010 12:54 pm

Harley rider ego....If they race a Scooter and loose, they will not tell their Harley friends. If they just raced and won againest a scooter....they can't tell their friends because that would be lame. It's just a no win for the harley guys either way.
Back to top Go down
ronjr009
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
ronjr009

Number of posts : 180

PostSubject: Re: Who needs a Harley?   Who needs a Harley? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 30, 2010 5:12 pm

If you want to enjoy your 4th of July and see a dazzling array of sparks, just ride up to deal's gap and ride up the back of a Harley's tail end.... naturally they will try to speed up so as to not get completely embarrased by a scooter and when they start dragging all that chrome on Tennessee ashphalt..... Kick back, relax, and enjoy the show..... Who needs a Harley? Icon_lol
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Who needs a Harley?   Who needs a Harley? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 30, 2010 7:00 pm

I hear 70% of all Harleys made are still on the road.

The rest made it to their destination.
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Who needs a Harley?   Who needs a Harley? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 30, 2010 7:20 pm

Yes, that is true.....You just need to be careful not run over that stuff.
Back to top Go down
dwOhio
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
dwOhio

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2010-05-06

PostSubject: Re: Who needs a Harley?   Who needs a Harley? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 30, 2010 11:46 pm

Thanks for the comments, sometimes the Harley people won't even wave, or start to, see what they're wavin' at, and pull their hand back.
My wife's sister's daughter in law and her husband have harleys, they asked me to sit on one while they started it up. My ears are still ringing.
I'm looking for a scooter riding club here in Mansfield, Ohio, but seems to be a total lack of one. I may have to ride 70 miles to find one. It's good to ride in groups, it seems the automobile drivers show a little more respect when there's more than one, they don't try to run you off the road, or force you to go faster than you want.
Back to top Go down
KurtPerthWA
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
KurtPerthWA

Number of posts : 1709
Registration date : 2009-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Who needs a Harley?   Who needs a Harley? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 01, 2010 7:54 am

In Western Oz we get a choice of which colour we want our free Holden ute when we purchase a Harley.

USA read Pick Up truck for Ute. Holden is our local GMH brand

yep thats right a free ute with a Harley.

only way to get it home!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who needs a Harley?   Who needs a Harley? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 01, 2010 9:26 am

Good one Kurt!
I know a guy that has 4 HD's and he has trouble keeping one of them running at any one time. Safety in numbers? He also has a sticker on his helmet that says, "My bike doesn't leak oil, it is marking its territory." Whatever. I'll take the no leak type.

Ride safe. Who needs a Harley? 186319
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Who needs a Harley?   Who needs a Harley? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 02, 2010 12:49 am

DuggleBogey wrote:
Can you imagine the hardcore Harley guys' outrage if H-D put out a Harley Scoot?

They did.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harley-Davidson_Topper
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Who needs a Harley?   Who needs a Harley? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 02, 2010 1:07 am

I've beaten a HD Sportster off the line at a traffic signal twice now with my SW. Can you imagine that fellow's chagrin at being 'scootered'?
Power in a Harley. Forget about it. My Goldwing turns out 118hp at 5500rpm. The Harley Revolution engine cranks out 115hp at 9,000 rpm. Their Evolution 1450cc engine puts out a staggering 80hp. Our lowly scooters turn out 50hp at 7000rpm which is impressive considering the Evolution engine 883cc in the Sportster is rated at 53hp at 7000rpm. Only 3 more than the SW and it takes them 301cc more to get those extra three horsepower.
Harleys are good looking bikes in a traditional way but they are very old fashioned in design. Harley did a great job of creating an image and marketing it but they are stuck. Their customers expect an air cooled V twin which is basically an obsolete power plant. There's not much HD can do with it without changing it's 'look' and that's what they are selling.
Back to top Go down
crahar
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
crahar

Number of posts : 283
Registration date : 2009-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Who needs a Harley?   Who needs a Harley? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 02, 2010 2:40 pm

I like the look and would still get one, if I could find the one I use to own back in the mid 60's. A 1945 Harley Hummer just to look at if nothing else. I like the older looking bikes more than the newer ones. Would also like to have an old Cushman Eagle and one of the old step through Cushman's. Of course that means I'd have to build a bigger garage for keeping them as I don't think my better half would let me keep them in the living room.
Craig
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Who needs a Harley?   Who needs a Harley? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 04, 2010 5:23 am

Took this near the end of a ride on Saturday, July 3rd.

Who needs a Harley? 2010_010

We had rolled past 260 miles for the day when we rode up behind this set-up. Hard to figure out how those loud pipes were saving lives in this particular scenario.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Who needs a Harley?   Who needs a Harley? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 04, 2010 7:08 am

Dale, I see 3 bikes on that trailer...Must be a group ride.
Back to top Go down
crahar
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
crahar

Number of posts : 283
Registration date : 2009-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Who needs a Harley?   Who needs a Harley? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 04, 2010 2:09 pm

At least they can stay in a good tight group that way. Who needs a Harley? 922695
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who needs a Harley?   Who needs a Harley? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 12:03 am

Most reliable way to travel on a HD, isn't it? Who needs a Harley? Suspect
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Who needs a Harley?   Who needs a Harley? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Who needs a Harley?
Page 1 of 1