Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» LF extended back rest
BSA or AMF Harley? I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Today at 1:55 pm

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
BSA or AMF Harley? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Today at 12:54 pm

» Drive belt prices
BSA or AMF Harley? I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 5:26 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
BSA or AMF Harley? I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
BSA or AMF Harley? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 7:27 pm

» New to Me Swing
BSA or AMF Harley? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» I said Farewell...
BSA or AMF Harley? I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
BSA or AMF Harley? I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:05 am

» Rear shock longevity
BSA or AMF Harley? I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
BSA or AMF Harley? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

BSA or AMF Harley?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
joncallihan
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1025
Registration date : 2009-02-16

BSA or AMF Harley? Empty
PostSubject: BSA or AMF Harley?   BSA or AMF Harley? I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 31, 2010 1:55 pm

Shortly after I became comfortable with the Danson, I got into a bit of road construction. There was an almost invisible (unmarked) pavement difference. The part I was on was about 3 inches below the existing pavement. I was going about 20mph.
After the SMACK, I stopped, inspected the front wheel, half expecting a broken wheel and/or tire.

Both the wheel and tire survived the incident unscathed, but since then the front brake caliper has been acting like it belongs on either a BSA or AMF Harley -- a small puddle of what appears to be fork oil (red oil) shows up each morning.

My question is: could this have destroyed one or both fork seals, thus the old motorcycle symptoms? The only place the leakage shows up is below the rotor and caliper. Both are grimy. The brake fluid level is correct in both master cylinders, so I'm convinced that it is not brake fluid. There are no other signs of leakage.

I'm puzzled.

:alien beamed u
Back to top Go down
http://www.joncallihan.com
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

BSA or AMF Harley? Empty
PostSubject: Re: BSA or AMF Harley?   BSA or AMF Harley? I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 31, 2010 2:02 pm

Jon,
At night, wipe everything clean and then twist tie paper towels to the suspect areas (fork seals, caliper, etc, and leave it over night.

In the morning, which part of what paper towels are wet will tell you where the leak is coming from and the width of the wet stain will tell you how fast it is leaking. Wider stain=faster leak.

Dan

Back to top Go down
MaxB
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
MaxB

Number of posts : 302
Registration date : 2009-10-06

BSA or AMF Harley? Empty
PostSubject: Re: BSA or AMF Harley?   BSA or AMF Harley? I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 31, 2010 9:41 pm

Jon, Do the trick of the paper towels.
You said that you took a big hit. Since I have not worked much with trikes or side cars much. This is guesswork on my part. I presume that there was no leak before the big hit.

If the towels are wet at the fork tops near the seals, a couple of things come to mind.

1. if you hit at an angle you may have twisted the forks a bit causing binding in the up down motion. causing leakage.
try losening up the axle, top clamps, and pump it up and down a few times to reallign the forks/ axle.

2. axle bent...... take to someone who can check for trueness. if bent just replace.

3. you bent the slider tubes that go inside the forks. I have seen this 3 times in my experience. Even a slight bend would cause the forks to weep oil.
Take the forks off and remove the springs and oil. they should move easily up and down their lengh of travel. IF in doubt take the forks apart and check for trueness along the length of the tube. replace if bent in the slightest. (I have never been able to get true straightness on bent ones.)

4. If it is not leaking at the seal area, you may have cracked the lower tube near the axle boss. causing a leak. (never seen this myself but it does happen.)

Hope this helps.
MaxB (who has three sets of inner fork tubes in the garage taking up space)

Back to top Go down
joncallihan
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

BSA or AMF Harley? Empty
PostSubject: Re: BSA or AMF Harley?   BSA or AMF Harley? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 01, 2010 9:52 am

Thanks to both of you.

MaxB,

There was no leak before the big hit. In fact, the leak started to show itself about two tanks of gas later. The leak is not major (a dime sized overnight spot). The reason I suspect it to be the fork is the color of the oil -- ATF red.

The hit was absolutely straight on. If it had been on a real motorcycle, I could have mitigated it a bit with an induced wheelie. The CVT precludes that, though.

I suppose my main question is "Is there a way for the maximum travel to be exceeded by a mm or two, thereby causing a seal failure?" The strange thing is that there is no blow-by (no oil, etc.) on the radiator scoop, nor on any of the forward body work. I don't think that I bent anything (axle or tube). A slider crack is possible, I suppose.

I'll keep you all informed of the ongoing investigation and subsequent resolution.
Back to top Go down
MaxB
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
MaxB

Number of posts : 302
Registration date : 2009-10-06

BSA or AMF Harley? Empty
PostSubject: Re: BSA or AMF Harley?   BSA or AMF Harley? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 01, 2010 11:30 am

If there is no oil up on the fork , but just a little on the bottom. I could be the retainer bolt and selaing washer are loose.
They are parts #20 and 21 on this exploded view.

http://hondaparts-direct.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=144693&category=SCOOTERS&make=HONDA&year=2005&fveh=3417

hope this helps

MaxB
Back to top Go down
MikeH
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
MikeH

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2009-05-02

BSA or AMF Harley? Empty
PostSubject: Re: BSA or AMF Harley?   BSA or AMF Harley? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 01, 2010 1:25 pm

joncallihan wrote:

I suppose my main question is "Is there a way for the maximum travel to be exceeded by a mm or two, thereby causing a seal failure?" The strange thing is that there is no blow-by (no oil, etc.) on the radiator scoop, nor on any of the forward body work. I don't think that I bent anything (axle or tube). A slider crack is possible, I suppose.

I blew a fork seal exactly that way. I was riding along the pacific coast highway between Stinson Beach and Muir Beach. There were a lot of sink holes probably 2-3 inches deep on that stretch of road. Most of the sink holes were marked with paint around the edge so you could see them and slow down. This hole wasn't marked. I slammed into going at least 30 mph. I bottomed out both front and rear when I went in, and again when I hit the edge going out of the hole. I didn't notice the leak until a couple of days later when I had the scoot on the trailer on my way back to Utah. I decided to install the Hyperpro fork spring after that. When I took the forks apart the retaining spring that keeps the seal in was kinked. There was no blow by on mine either. Just a small puddle under the fork.

BSA or AMF Harley? Kinked15

BSA or AMF Harley? Kinked17

Last edited by MikeH on Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:11 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : add photos)
Back to top Go down
joncallihan
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

BSA or AMF Harley? Empty
PostSubject: Re: BSA or AMF Harley?   BSA or AMF Harley? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 01, 2010 4:13 pm

Thanks all.

MikeH, especially. I took it out today, about a half tank of gas, found some reasonably rough pavement, came home and applied fresh paper towels on all the usual suspects (as in Casablanca). The only fresh (red) oil was on the left (brake side) fork tube. Just as pictured in the first photo above.

It would appear that Hyperpro springs, fresh seals for both legs, and fresh brake pads are in my near future. Now that I am reasonably sure what the problem is, I am much happier and content.

Thanks again. jocolor alien beamed up
Back to top Go down
MikeH
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
MikeH

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2009-05-02

BSA or AMF Harley? Empty
PostSubject: Re: BSA or AMF Harley?   BSA or AMF Harley? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 01, 2010 9:46 pm

One of the gents on the yahoo forum has had delays in getting his hyperpros. So you may want to look into that and check delivery time.
Back to top Go down
joncallihan
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

BSA or AMF Harley? Empty
PostSubject: Re: BSA or AMF Harley?   BSA or AMF Harley? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 02, 2010 11:17 am

Mike,
Thanks for the heads up. Delays won't bother me too much, as fixing this is not an immediate goal. The thing is still ride-able around town; the front brakes still work, but not extremely well (rather like me, in fact). It seems that the majority of the oil in the offending leg is long gone, so the mess is getting less like the BSA.

Jon
Back to top Go down

BSA or AMF Harley? Empty
PostSubject: Re: BSA or AMF Harley?   BSA or AMF Harley? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 02, 2010 6:31 pm

Mike,
Great reply and thanks for the pictures. I rebuilt my friends forks and that was the same problem on hers. These post help more then one person.

Paul

MikeH wrote:
joncallihan wrote:

I blew a fork seal exactly that way. I was riding along the pacific coast highway between Stinson Beach and Muir Beach. There were a lot of sink holes probably 2-3 inches deep on that stretch of road. Most of the sink holes were marked with paint around the edge so you could see them and slow down. This hole wasn't marked. I slammed into going at least 30 mph. I bottomed out both front and rear when I went in, and again when I hit the edge going out of the hole. I didn't notice the leak until a couple of days later when I had the scoot on the trailer on my way back to Utah. I decided to install the Hyperpro fork spring after that. When I took the forks apart the retaining spring that keeps the seal in was kinked. There was no blow by on mine either. Just a small puddle under the fork.

BSA or AMF Harley? Kinked15

BSA or AMF Harley? Kinked17
Back to top Go down

BSA or AMF Harley? Empty
PostSubject: Re: BSA or AMF Harley?   BSA or AMF Harley? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 15, 2010 3:49 am

It really useful for me. Thanks MaxB for the reply.
Back to top Go down
joncallihan
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

BSA or AMF Harley? Empty
PostSubject: Re: BSA or AMF Harley?   BSA or AMF Harley? I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 02, 2010 3:25 pm

All is now good with my BSA / AMF Hog. Got the new seals, brake pads and a replacement top "bolt" for one of the fork legs. Took everything apart, gave most of the bits a good bath and put it all back together. This is NOT a job to take lightly. It is very labor intensive. Photos 13 thru 21 in

http://gallery.me.com/joncallihan#100018

show some of the work needed. The rest of this mess is of the trike build and current status.

alien beamed up
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

BSA or AMF Harley? Empty
PostSubject: Re: BSA or AMF Harley?   BSA or AMF Harley? I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 03, 2010 12:14 am

Usually it's pretty easy to tell the difference between a caliper leak and a fork leak. Normally brake fluid is clear and doesn't have an oily feeling while fork oil is often actually AFT and colored red. One other tip off is that even a slight fork leak will leave a dirt ring around the fork tube an inch or two above the top of the fork slider. If a brake caliper is leaking it usually won't show up on the fork but a leak in the fork seal will show up on the dust over on top of the slider.
Renewing fork seals isn't a tough job, I've changed many fork seals in various Goldwings when I had my shop. There are a couple of common errors I've seen that cause new seals to fail. One is putting the seal in upside down. The lettering on the seal should be on top or away from the road. The other is installing a seal dry. The top of the fork tube should be taped with a single layer of tape to prevent the delicate lips of the seal from being damaged by the sharp edge. Also the fork tube and tape should be oiled with fork oil to let the seal pass down over it without tearing the seal lips. Those precautions will go a long way toward making a seal replacement last a long time. There's nothing much more irritating than doing a replacement job and finding it leaking a week later.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

BSA or AMF Harley? Empty
PostSubject: Re: BSA or AMF Harley?   BSA or AMF Harley? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

BSA or AMF Harley?
Page 1 of 1