Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
Harley or Honda? I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 4:47 am

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Harley or Honda? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Harley or Honda? I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Harley or Honda? I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Harley or Honda? I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Harley or Honda? I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Harley or Honda? I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Harley or Honda? I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Harley or Honda? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
Harley or Honda? I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Harley or Honda?

Go down 
+25
westgl
"Hi Yo"
DaveR
hardee41
Art
Silverwinglicious
HORNBLOWER
sonuvabug
Az Kicker
john grinsel
JeffR
Meldrew
Tourezrick
Gustafa
gremlin
exavid
masontx
Cookie
Old Limey
GHM-PM
terrier
Cosmic_Jumper
NWSSC
Bash On!
Branyers
29 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Branyers
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2015-10-23

Harley or Honda? Empty
PostSubject: Harley or Honda?   Harley or Honda? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 27, 2015 10:35 am

So yesterday I'm cruising on the freeway, minding my own business, 65mph.  Suddenly a Harley shows up, and in a close call, guns it around me all the while producing an excessively loud, annoying, bellow that can only be described as severe flatulence.

So I'm a little pissed because he assumes my bike can go no faster.  Here I find myself on the throttle, on his a** for the next 5 miles.  Of course he decides to slow down because he realizes I am not so slow.

No point really.  I just wanted to point out that this douchebag behavior only further perpetuates the typical Harley rider stereotype.  Why behave that way?  And I really don't understand the allure of an overweight, loud, underpowered shiny hunk of metal that hasn't improved on engine design in decades.  Can someone please explain why people buy these bikes other than a insatiable desire to compensate for some type of serious bling factor deficiency?  I am so confused.
Back to top Go down
Bash On!
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2015-08-24

Harley or Honda? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harley or Honda?   Harley or Honda? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 27, 2015 10:43 am

Sorry. "Douchebag behavior" on display by both sides here.
Back to top Go down
Branyers
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Harley or Honda? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harley or Honda?   Harley or Honda? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 27, 2015 10:53 am

True, but that is not really my attitude and it was outside of character for me. We all share a similar passion for riding on two wheels. I was just really annoyed by this guy's arrogance, and quite frankly, he came so close, it scared me.
Back to top Go down
NWSSC
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
NWSSC

Number of posts : 418
Registration date : 2010-03-03

Harley or Honda? Empty
PostSubject: Harley or Honda?    Harley or Honda? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 27, 2015 11:09 am

I hope this does not start one of those trains but in defense of the decent Harley riders it only takes one bad apple to spoil the barrel.In all are travels we always have had a good re-pore with the big bore boys.
I will say the first time I saw a Harley engine apart I realized why it had the unique sound but wondered why it ran. When Harley realized a engine should have water in it and gave it to Porsche they
received back a real engine. Howard
Back to top Go down
http://www.northwestsuburbanscooterclub.com/
Bash On!
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Harley or Honda? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harley or Honda?   Harley or Honda? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 27, 2015 11:39 am

I used to ride a Japanese crotch rocket. Am I a squid?
I used to have a dirt bike. Am I a hooligan?
I used to have a Harley. Am I a pirate?
I ride a BMW. Am I stuck-up?
I ride a scooter. Am I an elderly dweeb?

Dunno. I think I've just been plain-old Bash no matter what I happen to be riding at the time. Stereotypes are useless and inappropriate, no matter the context.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Harley or Honda? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harley or Honda?   Harley or Honda? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 27, 2015 11:41 am

Branyers wrote:
<> Can someone please explain why people buy these bikes other than a insatiable desire to compensate for some type of serious bling factor deficiency? <>

Ever notice how many of those bikes have "balls" hanging off the rear? Evidentially it's because the owner "sees" their bike is a penis extension. So by making that obnoxious move around you they are effectively saying that, "my schwantz is bigger than your penis". And if that be the case then those loud pipes are, in fact, flatulence. IMHO

Tim
Back to top Go down
Branyers
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Harley or Honda? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harley or Honda?   Harley or Honda? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 27, 2015 12:07 pm

Bash On! wrote:
I used to ride a Japanese crotch rocket.  Am I a squid?
I used to have a dirt bike.  Am I a hooligan?
I used to have a Harley.  Am I a pirate?
I ride a BMW. Am I stuck-up?
I ride a scooter.  Am I an elderly dweeb?

Dunno.  I think I've just been plain-old Bash no matter what I happen to be riding at the time.  Stereotypes are useless and inappropriate, no matter the context.

I have never thought anything negative about any of the bikes you have listed besides Harley. I would be more likely to wave to somebody on a Ducati than I would a Harley.

Harley riders think very highly of their machines. Fact of the matter, they are decades behind the competition and do not innovate besides with more chrome or wavy lines, and the build quality is ****. Tell me why a modified 1600cc Harley only puts down about 90hp?
Back to top Go down
terrier
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
terrier

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2015-08-12

Harley or Honda? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harley or Honda?   Harley or Honda? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 27, 2015 3:53 pm

Bash On! wrote:
Sorry.  "Douchebag behavior" on display by both sides here.  

applause
Back to top Go down
Branyers
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Harley or Honda? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harley or Honda?   Harley or Honda? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 27, 2015 3:57 pm

So how do I handle it the next time this happens?
Back to top Go down
Bash On!
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Harley or Honda? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harley or Honda?   Harley or Honda? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 27, 2015 4:05 pm

Let it slide.  

Don't assume you know what the other guy is thinking ("little pissed because he assumes my bike can go no faster").

Don't judge people by what they ride ("insatiable desire to compensate for some type of serious bling factor deficiency").  

Don't instigate/escalate a possible road rage incident ("I find myself on the throttle, on his a** for the next 5 miles").

Be safe. Ride safe. Live to ride another day.

Last edited by Bash On! on Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Branyers
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Harley or Honda? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harley or Honda?   Harley or Honda? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 27, 2015 4:22 pm

I was exaggerating when I said 5 miles. I sped up and passed him is a more accurate depiction. Still can't wrap my head around why someone would buy one of those contraptions. I guess I equate it with ignorance. It is the ONLY make I feel that way about. HD is good at marketing, that's about it.
Back to top Go down
terrier
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
terrier

Harley or Honda? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harley or Honda?   Harley or Honda? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 27, 2015 4:38 pm

Branyers wrote:
 Still can't wrap my head around why someone would buy one of those contraptions.

Maybe he's thinking the same about your contraption. Live and let live and enjoy YOUR ride.
Back to top Go down
Bash On!
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Harley or Honda? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harley or Honda?   Harley or Honda? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 27, 2015 4:38 pm

"I guess I equate it with ignorance. "

I plead ignorance then, even though I have four degrees, had dozens of bikes of many different brands and been riding almost 40 years.

Actually, I've had two Harleys. Yep, they're slow, overweight, and overpriced, but dang aren't they fun in their own way! Where else can you get a decades-old bike brand-new?

Bought a brand-new Harley and a brand-new BMW in the same year, and, would you believe, the Harley was made better. Harley never saw the shop (except maintenance) and the BMW always seemed to have something big or little needing repair. The Harley seemed of one piece while the Beemer had lots of plastic.

Never bought into the pirate look, though. Always ride ATGATT, even though I'd get a lot of disapproving looks visiting the HD dealer.

I'd recommend releasing all that bad karma/strong feelings about a single brand of motorcycle. Turn all that negative energy into enjoying your own ride--whatever it is. Peace.
Back to top Go down
Branyers
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Harley or Honda? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harley or Honda?   Harley or Honda? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 27, 2015 4:40 pm

terrier wrote:
Branyers wrote:
 Still can't wrap my head around why someone would buy one of those contraptions.

Maybe he's thinking the same about your contraption.  Live and let live and enjoy YOUR ride.

Tell that to the guy who nearly clipped me.
Back to top Go down
Branyers
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Harley or Honda? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harley or Honda?   Harley or Honda? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 27, 2015 4:43 pm

Bash On! wrote:
"I guess I equate it with ignorance. "

I plead ignorance then, even though I have four degrees, had dozens of bikes of many different brands and been riding almost 40 years.  

Actually, I've had two Harleys. Yep, they're slow, overweight, and overpriced, but dang aren't they fun in their own way!  Where else can you get a decades-old bike brand-new?

Bought a brand-new Harley and a brand-new BMW in the same year, and, would you believe, the Harley was made better.  Harley never saw the shop (except maintenance) and the BMW always seemed to have something big or little needing repair.  The Harley seemed of one piece while the Beemer had lots of plastic.

Never bought into the pirate look, though.  Always ride ATGATT, even though I'd get a lot of disapproving looks visiting the HD dealer.

I'd recommend releasing all that bad karma/strong feelings about a single brand of motorcycle.  Turn all that negative energy into enjoying your own ride--whatever it is.  Peace.

I prefer to build my "decades old" machine myself. No offense, I think I could build a better bike than HD.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2540
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Harley or Honda? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harley or Honda?   Harley or Honda? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 27, 2015 9:13 pm

I ride with several Harley riders and there is not a problem even when I am on the SWing. They know I can keep up with them and exceed most on serious grades, gotta love water cooling! In hot weather the ancient V-twins run into big problems.

But I agree there are always a few that spoil it for others. To me, almost as annoying is a crotch-rocket winding up WAY over the speed limit and blowing by me so fast it is scary.

Guess I am getting old... Speed just isn't that important to me anymore...
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

Harley or Honda? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harley or Honda?   Harley or Honda? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 28, 2015 5:51 am

We have "Harley" riders in the UK,you can usually hear them coming. Normally in a group so they can frighten the horses and little children(or so they like to think). Most of them are "Posers" not really riders just nobodies that want people to stare at them, they like to think they are all "Hells Angels "after watching some American films. If you talk to them you find most never travel more than about twenty miles at one go as,they don't want their bikes to get dirty. If you do meetthem on the road usually i can pass them without them realising i am doing because iam so quite. Laughing
Back to top Go down
terrier
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
terrier

Harley or Honda? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harley or Honda?   Harley or Honda? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 28, 2015 6:36 am

[/quote]I prefer to build my "decades old" machine myself.  No offense, I think I could build a better bike than HD.[/quote]

Why don't you go onto one of the Harley forums and tell them that.  I'm sure they'll be pleased to hear from you !
Back to top Go down
Cookie
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Cookie

Number of posts : 233
Registration date : 2011-10-03

Harley or Honda? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harley or Honda?   Harley or Honda? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 28, 2015 7:02 am

I actually quite like Harleys although It's not really based on anything constructive since I have never owned or even ridden one. At the prices they are in the UK that's not likely to change either.

I read once that the difference between a big engine and a small engine with the same horsepower is that the horses in the big engine are the sort that have thick hairy legs! Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
masontx
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
masontx

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2015-04-01

Harley or Honda? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harley or Honda?   Harley or Honda? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 28, 2015 12:17 pm

I don't own a H-D, and can find better used prices on Honda's, but I've got to say that the local H-D dealership (Javalina Harley in Boerne Tx) are some of the nicest people I've ever met. They are so nice I sometimes think it would be fun to own a H-D, then I look at the price and come back to reality.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

Harley or Honda? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harley or Honda?   Harley or Honda? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 29, 2015 1:38 am

I'm not a fan of the V-Twin engine on any bike though I think the Japanese twins are better than the HD due to less vibration and superior cooling. I don't believe HD ever really solved that rear cylinder overheating problem. On motorcycles I much prefer shaft drive. I don't mind the fully enclosed CVT on maxis but don't like exposed drive belts. I've heard that the HD drive belt can cost as much as $800 to replace. Don't know if that's true but it was an HD owner that told me that. In larger bikes I much prefer four or six cylinder bikes because of their smoothness. I've ridden Goldwings for years and loved that big flat four or six. The GL1500 and 1800 feels like it's powered by a huge, hi-torque electric motor. Quiet and powerful. My BMW K1100LT's in line four was a great engine, also a long lasting engine like the GW's. Air cooled engines can't last as long without top end service as liquid cooled ones. My GL1500 had over 200,000 miles on it when I sold it and a friend of mine has a Goldwing that has a bit more than 400,000 miles on it. Neither bike needed any serious engine or transmission work over those miles. The Silverwing with its water cooled twin will run longer without major top end maintenance than any air cooled HD.

As for bad mouthing a different make, Harley riders seem to denigrate other brands more than any other riders I've met. The expression, "Jap crap" came from HD riders.
Back to top Go down
gremlin
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
gremlin

Number of posts : 227
Registration date : 2015-04-09

Harley or Honda? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harley or Honda?   Harley or Honda? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 29, 2015 2:44 am

I have Harley riders in the family and know quite a few others as well. My observation is:  there is no point to argue with them about the quality and price of HD. They love it and will buy and ride it no matter what.  Logic, reliability, cost of ownership etc does not enter the picture at all. HD have created a myth ( a bit similar to the old VW beetle and campervan), supported by hundreds of movies, that will not be torn down in a hurry.  Myself, I do like the looks of most of them, but would never buy one for obvious reasons.  The sad part is that it is mostly Harley riders, that I have  seen riding in t-shirts, shorts and whatever footwear.
My son in law just bought an Aus$ 35,000 Harley. I can go just as fast and more comfortable with a lot of gear  on my SW.  It might not sound the same, but I am Aus$ 30,000 in front already.

Last edited by gremlin on Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Bash On!
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Harley or Honda? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harley or Honda?   Harley or Honda? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 29, 2015 8:54 am

exavid wrote: "As for bad mouthing a different make, Harley riders seem to denigrate other brands more than any other riders I've met. The expression, "Jap crap" came from HD riders."

Yes, let's sink to their level, shall we?  Not me, thanks.

Last edited by Bash On! on Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:00 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added attribution for quoted material)
Back to top Go down
Gustafa
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Gustafa

Number of posts : 218
Registration date : 2015-10-10

Harley or Honda? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harley or Honda?   Harley or Honda? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 29, 2015 9:31 am

The guy that got me to get a SW is a Harley rider, we ride together and is someone I will do plenty of touring with. There's bad apples everywhere, but remember, 99% of two wheelers enjoy the fraternity. Let's keep that going.
Back to top Go down
Tourezrick
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 83
Registration date : 2014-09-12

Harley or Honda? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harley or Honda?   Harley or Honda? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 29, 2015 10:31 am

I've always thought that - 1. It's better to ride than not, 2. Doesn't matter what you're riding, as long as you're riding, 3. Always wave to other riders, it doesn't cost you anything, 4. ATGATT!, 5. Have fun, or stay home.
My son is a big Harley rider, a '12 Heritage Softtail Classic, and he is amazed that I can keep up as well as I do. I like the fact that my bike is quieter and lighter than his and has way more storage space. I do wish Honda made a trike, as I don't much care for the bolt on kits for the SWings. But until I find a bike that has the reliability and ease of operation of my SWing, I guess I'll be keeping mine!
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4170
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Harley or Honda? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harley or Honda?   Harley or Honda? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 29, 2015 12:31 pm

Bash On! wrote:
"The expression, "Jap crap" came from HD riders."

I don't think it did,  "Jap Crap" was the most common derogatory term for Japanese motorcycles on this side of the Pond in the Sixties and Seventies when the British motorcycle industry was in it's death throes. Used as an insult to riders who'd bought what are considered now vintage Japanese motorcycles, by some poor deluded fool who'd bought a dated, unreliable, oil leaking piece of British made junk, complete with dodgy Joe Lucas "Prince of Darkness" electrics.
Back to top Go down
Bash On!
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Harley or Honda? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harley or Honda?   Harley or Honda? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 29, 2015 12:52 pm

Meldrew wrote:
[quote="Bash On!"]"The expression, "Jap crap" came from HD riders."
[/quote]

The HD rider attribution came from "exavid" not me.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4170
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Harley or Honda? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harley or Honda?   Harley or Honda? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 29, 2015 3:46 pm

Yes it did, but when I scrolled up again there was your post with the Jap Crap quote.
Back to top Go down
Bash On!
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Harley or Honda? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harley or Honda?   Harley or Honda? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 29, 2015 5:02 pm

Meldrew wrote:
Yes it did, but when I scrolled up again there was your post with the Jap Crap quote.

Attribution added to quoted material in my post.
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

Harley or Honda? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harley or Honda?   Harley or Honda? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 29, 2015 5:10 pm

Hey,

Let's all just ease up a bit. I had a Harley once, although I was never considered a Harley rider, but some can have an attitude, but it is the same with the crotch rockets as well. Let's keep the posts civil since it is really the rider that controls the bike. I have had the same thing happen to me by all kinds of different m/c's.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3291
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Harley or Honda? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harley or Honda?   Harley or Honda? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 29, 2015 5:26 pm

Having owned at least 4 new Harleys and several used----fine at 55-60 mph----otherwise paint shakers. Once they had the best seat (solo-up down seat post) weather protection ( winter windshield kit, tin leg shields-----but they broke, often had oil leaks--Today's HD riders do not even ride in the rain----see the bikes on trailers and pickups!

Same purchased several new Hondas/Suzuki/Kawasaki------the Japanese make a superior product.....and you don't need a Halloween costume to ride!

Back to top Go down
Az Kicker
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Az Kicker

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2013-08-22

Harley or Honda? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harley or Honda?   Harley or Honda? I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 04, 2015 11:58 am

Harley Davidson is one of the best marketing companies in the world, and they happen to sell motorcycles.

If you look at the riders or visit their dealerships, you will see people who identify so strongly with the brand that they will wear HD-branded boots, riding gear, helmets, rain gear, t-shirts, and even underwear. They will buy HD-branded key chains, kickstand rests, and every imaginable piece of kitsch. They will go to every individual store to complete their collection of store-specific t-shirts to impress their other HD friends.

All of this for machines of ancient design and dubious construction.

HD is brilliant. They are marketing a vision of freedom and individualism in an increasingly constricted and corporate world. That is why the salesman at the dealership describes the bike as a starting point for you to 'customize' and 'individualize'. That is why people will spend incredible amounts of money; not for comfort, reliability or performance, but to show the world "this is ME".

I only wish I had thought of it first.
Back to top Go down
http://AzKicker.com
Bash On!
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Harley or Honda? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harley or Honda?   Harley or Honda? I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 04, 2015 1:06 pm

Very true, AzKicker. Must say though, some of their clothing is pretty good quality. Have a 25 year-old HD jacket and gloves that are still going strong. Feel a little funny wearing them on a scooter, though.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Harley or Honda? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harley or Honda?   Harley or Honda? I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 04, 2015 10:39 pm

I know the feeling, I feel a bit funny about wearing my old black leather jacket on a scooter. But with over a half century of owning and riding bikes I just ignore the feeling. At least it's not a new jacket.
Back to top Go down
Bash On!
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Harley or Honda? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harley or Honda?   Harley or Honda? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 06, 2015 8:53 am

I got a wave from a Harley rider yesterday!  And I was on a bicycle!  And when I was wearing a dweebish fluorescent shirt!

See, Harley riders aren't all bad.  [He was on only a Sportster, but still!]
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 924
Registration date : 2010-09-15

Harley or Honda? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harley or Honda?   Harley or Honda? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 06, 2015 11:39 am

Tourezrick wrote:
... snipped ... I've always thought that - 1. It's better to ride than not, 2. Doesn't matter what you're riding, as long as you're riding, 3. Always wave to other riders, it doesn't cost you anything, 4. ATGATT!, 5. Have fun, or stay home ...

Yup I agree Tourezrick ... pretty darn good guidelines that work.

It's all about attitude ... ours and theirs and there are people with good and poor attitudes riding every kind of motorcycle under the sun. The only thing we can do is control our own attitudes (and actions) and the great news is ... I get to choose my response each and every time. For the negative outliers, I don't allow them to ruin my day ... or attitude.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Harley or Honda? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harley or Honda?   Harley or Honda? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 06, 2015 8:32 pm

You have to wave at all of them because it might be a Japanese V-twin not a Harley.

Just kidding Wink
Back to top Go down
HORNBLOWER
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 171
Registration date : 2013-10-08

Harley or Honda? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harley or Honda?   Harley or Honda? I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 15, 2015 4:26 pm

I had a similar thing happen to me the other day Branyers. I was stopped at a set of lights in Birmingham UK with my wife riding pillion, when I heard a harley coming up behind me. As he stopped he gave us a sneering look, the lights changed he turned and gave us the finger and gunned it. Sadly I rose to the challenge so just sat on his back wheel for the next mile as he went quicker and quicker constantly looking over his shoulder at us to see if he had lost us. As we got to the slip road to the main flyover into the city i pulled level with him and carefully blocked him, gave him the finger back and left him to have to ride round a trading estate to get back on the flyover. At this point I got a sharp slap round the back of my helmet from my wife who was killing herself laughing.
We stopped in town for a coffee and when I asked her why she was laughing so much she said I was so predictable and it had reminded her of a joke.

Here it is.

On the farm lived a young female chicken and a male horse, both of whom loved to play together.

One day the two were playing, when the horse fell into a bog and began to sink. Scared for his life, the horse whinnied for the chicken to go get the farmer for help!

Off the chicken ran, back to the farm..
Arriving at the farm, he searched and searched for the farmer, but to no avail, for he had gone to town with the only tractor.

Running around, the chicken spied the farmer's new Harley. Finding the keys in the ignition, the chicken sped off with a length of rope hoping he still had time to save his friend's life.

Back at the bog, the horse was surprised, but happy, to see the chicken arrive on the shiny Harley, and he managed to get a hold of the loop of rope the chicken tossed to him. After tying the other end to the rear bumper of the farmer's bike, the chicken then drove slowly forward and, with the aid of the powerful bike, rescued the horse!

Happy and proud, the chicken rode the Harley back to the farmhouse, and the farmer was none the wiser when he returned.

The friendship between the two animals was cemented: Best Buddies, Best Pals.

A few weeks later, the chicken fell into a mud pit, and soon, she too, began to sink and cried out to the horse to save his life!

The horse thought a moment, walked over, and straddled the large puddle. Looking underneath, he told the chicken to grab his hangy-down thing and he would then lift her out of the pit.The chicken got a good grip, and the horse pulled her up and out, saving her young life.

The moral of the story, (yep, you betcha, there IS a moral!)?
"When You're Hung Like A Horse, You Don't, need A Harley to Pick Up Chicks."

I think its the nicest thing she has ever said to me. Lol!!!!!
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Harley or Honda? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harley or Honda?   Harley or Honda? I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 15, 2015 7:21 pm

:lol!: :lol!: motorcycle chickendance Darn near fell out of my chair on that one, Bravo :lol!: :lol!: :lol!:
Back to top Go down
Silverwinglicious
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Silverwinglicious

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2016-02-17

Harley or Honda? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harley or Honda?   Harley or Honda? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2016 4:39 pm

Nice compliment from the wife!
Back to top Go down
Art
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 272
Registration date : 2015-12-25

Harley or Honda? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harley or Honda?   Harley or Honda? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2016 10:52 pm

Laughing Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
hardee41
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
hardee41

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2013-07-23

Harley or Honda? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harley or Honda?   Harley or Honda? I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 20, 2016 12:37 pm

I too enjoy coming up on any M/cycle & pacing them or passing. Really enjoy being at a stop light where they expect to run away from you; it don't happen. Maybe I'll out grow it, I'm only 74.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Harley or Honda? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harley or Honda?   Harley or Honda? I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 20, 2016 11:15 pm

Nah, you're not too old, my riding buddy and I chased down a HD rider who flipped us off when we waved at him and my buddy is 90. We had both scooters well above a ton when the HD guy backed off and we passed him. Actually he didn't back off I think he was maxed out.
Back to top Go down
Art
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 272
Registration date : 2015-12-25

Harley or Honda? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harley or Honda?   Harley or Honda? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2016 12:22 pm

Guys on my Savage forum are convinced they can leave me from a standstill
I can't wait till I ride with them and show them the error of their thinking
That 650 single might pull me for 20-30 feet, then I'll blow by them waving Laughing
Back to top Go down
DaveR
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2009-02-19

Harley or Honda? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harley or Honda?   Harley or Honda? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2016 12:22 pm

I think all "bikes" come with a certain amount of "individual pride" attached. That is what makes us differ one from another and rightfully so. Where we get into trouble is when we allow our pride "tempt" us to do dumb things. It happens to all of us I guess. As far as the story about the chicken and the horse, I herd this similar story when I was in first grade. It was in a little green primmer book. But it was of the horse being jealous of the fancy new car. One day the car got stuck the horse pulled it out of the mud and they became friends. Of course this was about 70 years ago as I am about to turn 80.
Happy riding everyone as the season has arrived for us in our area.
Back to top Go down
Bash On!
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Harley or Honda? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harley or Honda?   Harley or Honda? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2016 12:52 pm

"I've got a bigger engine."  "But I'm faster."  "He didn't wave back."  "He looked at me funny." "I'll show him who's wrong."

What is this, kindergarten?
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Harley or Honda? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harley or Honda?   Harley or Honda? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2016 1:20 pm

I don't about the Burgman 650 but both the SW and the BMW C650GT have delays on the throttle. The ignition advance is delayed until the bike gets moving and then it's advanced in steps until you reach full advance. It's supposed to be safety feature to prevent wheel spin and lifting the front wheel. I believe that it's done in three steps on the SW. You can hear the change when you open the throttle hard from a standing start. The exhaust has an odd, slightly muffled sound for a few seconds then suddenly goes louder. If it weren't for that you could give a lot of motorcycles a shock.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Harley or Honda? 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

Harley or Honda? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harley or Honda?   Harley or Honda? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 26, 2016 3:18 pm

Bash On! wrote:

Yep, for those in their second childhood. Ain't it fun! Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
Bash On!
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Harley or Honda? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harley or Honda?   Harley or Honda? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 26, 2016 3:24 pm

Hi Yo wrote:
Bash On! wrote:

Yep, for those in their second childhood. Ain't it fun!     Laughing      Laughing

Or, as a friend of mine used to say, "It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"
Back to top Go down
westgl
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2014-04-11

Harley or Honda? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harley or Honda?   Harley or Honda? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 04, 2016 11:11 pm

To match the guy on the Harley for performance and quiet take the exhaust off and pull one of the spark plug wires now you not as loud but just as smooth a running
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Harley or Honda? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harley or Honda?   Harley or Honda? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Harley or Honda?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next