Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» LF extended back rest
My back wheel collapsed!!! I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Today at 2:49 am

» New to Me Swing
My back wheel collapsed!!! I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Yesterday at 10:47 pm

» I said Farewell...
My back wheel collapsed!!! I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Yesterday at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
My back wheel collapsed!!! I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 5:05 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
My back wheel collapsed!!! I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
My back wheel collapsed!!! I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
My back wheel collapsed!!! I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
My back wheel collapsed!!! I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
My back wheel collapsed!!! I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
My back wheel collapsed!!! I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

My back wheel collapsed!!!

Go down 
+3
jdeereanton
joncallihan
wingnprayer
7 posters
AuthorMessage
wingnprayer
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
wingnprayer

Number of posts : 166
Registration date : 2009-06-27

My back wheel collapsed!!! Empty
PostSubject: My back wheel collapsed!!!   My back wheel collapsed!!! I_icon_minitimeFri May 07, 2010 12:18 pm

OK not really, but I just needed to get the attention of anyone who might be subject to this serious recall relating to 2001-02 bikes:

http://tinyurl.com/29o5plq

It mentions that nearly 22,000 S'wings worldwide have this potential fault.

Here's a link to info relating to the US recall: http://tinyurl.com/23bvmxb
Back to top Go down
joncallihan
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1025
Registration date : 2009-02-16

PostSubject: Re: My back wheel collapsed!!!   My back wheel collapsed!!! I_icon_minitimeFri May 07, 2010 4:01 pm

My back wheel collapsed!!! Sleep Dude,
That was nine years ago -- I'd think that if any were out there still, they would not be very mobile. My back wheel collapsed!!! Sleep
Back to top Go down
http://www.joncallihan.com
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: My back wheel collapsed!!!   My back wheel collapsed!!! I_icon_minitimeFri May 07, 2010 4:08 pm

I don't know Jon, occasionally some one will buy a scooter that was purchased then sat for years unridden.

While I think most folks should know about the recall at this point, the reminder was somewhat entertaining and only a few electrons were mildly put out.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
wingnprayer
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
wingnprayer

Number of posts : 166
Registration date : 2009-06-27

PostSubject: Re: My back wheel collapsed!!!   My back wheel collapsed!!! I_icon_minitimeFri May 07, 2010 4:51 pm

Jon, I purchased my SW less than a year ago with less than 4K on it, yet it is from this recall period. Forgive me for being so stupid.... but I was hoping it might warn/help anyone else falling in this bracket. As far as I'm aware there is no mention of it in any other post on this forum.
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: My back wheel collapsed!!!   My back wheel collapsed!!! I_icon_minitimeFri May 07, 2010 6:20 pm

Here is a place you can go to the the recall info on a lot of bikes. www.scootertrap.com gives recall info for all of the bikes they sell parts/equipment for.

Here is the link for the silverwing:

http://www.scootertrap.com/SilverWing600.htm

Just scroll down to the "Recall Section".
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
Everett Brewer
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2010-04-19

PostSubject: My 2002???????   My back wheel collapsed!!! I_icon_minitimeSat May 08, 2010 12:14 am

I just bought a 2002 Silverwing with 6751 miles, and I don't think any of items, Rear Wheel, Steering, and Kick-stand, have been repaired under the Honda Recalls sent in 2003. The informatkion indicates that hundreds of the hwheels and steering mechanisms have failed----This means that many peolple were hurt---in my case could be hurt. Who should I go to for some advise and service??????
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: My back wheel collapsed!!!   My back wheel collapsed!!! I_icon_minitimeSat May 08, 2010 12:58 am

Everett Brewer wrote:
Who should I go to for some advise and service??????

Contact your Honda dealer ... he should be able to look up by your VIN number to determine if they recall items have been done.
Back to top Go down
Everett Brewer
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2010-04-19

PostSubject: Recalls Checked   My back wheel collapsed!!! I_icon_minitimeSat May 08, 2010 3:22 pm

Well---I calledd Carlos, the Service Manager at my local Honda dealer---he took the VIN number to research recalls. He called back later, and he said,"There has never been a recall against this vehicle." As I think about it, "was there a recall on the rear wheel, handlebars, and kick stand for all these vehiclaes?" No recall against any given VIN number?? I think I'll call Honda directly since they provide a phone number------What are your thoughts??
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: My back wheel collapsed!!!   My back wheel collapsed!!! I_icon_minitimeSat May 08, 2010 5:02 pm

Everett Brewer wrote:
Well---I calledd Carlos, the Service Manager at my local Honda dealer---he took the VIN number to research recalls. He called back later, and he said,"There has never been a recall against this vehicle."

1) I would first call Carlos back and ask him why he cannot find the recall ... it is listed on the government website and provide him the official campaign id numbers

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls/recallsearch.cfm

Make: HONDA
Model: SILVER WING
Model Year: 2002
Manufacturer: AMERICAN HONDA MOTOR CO.
Mfr's Report Date: SEP 13, 2002
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 02V250000
NHTSA Action Number: N/A
Component: WHEELS
Potential Number of Units Affected: 2454

Make: HONDA
Model: SILVER WING
Model Year: 2002
Manufacturer: AMERICAN HONDA MOTOR CO.
Mfr's Report Date: DEC 05, 2003
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 03V513000
NHTSA Action Number: N/A
Component: STEERING:WHEEL AND HANDLE BAR
Potential Number of Units Affected: 4997

2) Then tell him that since he could not find it that evidently the recall must not have been done for this vehicle.

3) Tell him to go back and search again (and contact Honda if necessary). If he still cannot find the recall, then you would need something in writing, which you may need when you contact Honda yourself.

I would not be surprised that he magically finds the recall ... cause he would not want to put it writing for Honda.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: My back wheel collapsed!!!   My back wheel collapsed!!! I_icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2010 11:17 pm

Everett Brewer wrote:
Well---I calledd Carlos, the Service Manager at my local Honda dealer---he took the VIN number to research recalls. He called back later, and he said,"There has never been a recall against this vehicle." As I think about it, "was there a recall on the rear wheel, handlebars, and kick stand for all these vehiclaes?" No recall against any given VIN number?? I think I'll call Honda directly since they provide a phone number------What are your thoughts??
Why not try another dealer? BTW - if these are NTSB recalls they never expire. I know of a fellow who had an '88 Goldwing recall performed last year. Recalls are done at Honda's expense too, no cost to the owner. Some shops have been known to try to squeeze labor cost from the owner but that's illegal.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My back wheel collapsed!!!   My back wheel collapsed!!! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My back wheel collapsed!!!
Page 1 of 1