Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
Back After 3 Years - Back Wheel Brake Seized Solid I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 8:47 am

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Back After 3 Years - Back Wheel Brake Seized Solid I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 8:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Back After 3 Years - Back Wheel Brake Seized Solid I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Yesterday at 2:56 am

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Back After 3 Years - Back Wheel Brake Seized Solid I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Back After 3 Years - Back Wheel Brake Seized Solid I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:57 am

» Hello everyone
Back After 3 Years - Back Wheel Brake Seized Solid I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Back After 3 Years - Back Wheel Brake Seized Solid I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Back After 3 Years - Back Wheel Brake Seized Solid I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Back After 3 Years - Back Wheel Brake Seized Solid I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:41 pm

» Low charging
Back After 3 Years - Back Wheel Brake Seized Solid I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Back After 3 Years - Back Wheel Brake Seized Solid

Go down 
+4
tinman
NWSSC
Cosmic_Jumper
lenseonlife
8 posters
AuthorMessage
lenseonlife
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2012-04-13

Back After 3 Years - Back Wheel Brake Seized Solid Empty
PostSubject: Back After 3 Years - Back Wheel Brake Seized Solid   Back After 3 Years - Back Wheel Brake Seized Solid I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 23, 2015 7:37 pm

Hi,
About 3 years ago bought S-Wing (2004) and had a problem with wobbly rear wheel which got solved here on the forum.  Had a great year using the bike but then had some health issues so back dusting off the old machine (S-Wing, not me).

It will need a lot of work - didn't drain fuel Shocked so that will cause problems (but for another day).

But simple issues first - rear wheel needs new tyre - but the rear brakes are holding onto it for dear life - how do I get the disks to release their grip of death?  Have tried talking nicely, screaming and shouting ... there is a sledge hammer in the corner but thought I'd ask the experts before resorting to brute force (have already tried ignorance).

P.S.  I'm a 62 y.o. looking forward to a couple of months getting my hands dirty and greasy putting some life back into the machine.

Any help, suggestions greatly appreciated,

Thanks,
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Back After 3 Years - Back Wheel Brake Seized Solid   Back After 3 Years - Back Wheel Brake Seized Solid I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 23, 2015 8:07 pm

Remove the brake pads holding pin at the very bottom of the caliper. It's a long 5mm hex head pin hidden behind a straight slot plug screw. Once that pin is extracted one or both pads may fall out --if you're lucky. If not, or in any case you should then spritz the area between the pad and the caliper, with brake cleaner, to clean & lube the caliper pistons and seals. You could then drive something like a wooden wedge between the pad and the rotor to force the pistons back enough so that the pads can be removed. Once the pads are out of the way you can remove the caliper bolts and take the caliper off the rotor. You may have to back off the bleeder screw to allow the piston to move back into the caliper body.

Once the caliper is removed you may need to use a "C" clamp and a old brake pad to force the caliper pistons fully back into the valiper body.

Plan on rebuilding the caliper with new pistons & seals and replacing the brake fluid. While you're going to all the effort --rebuilding is actually not a difficult job-- you might as well replace the front caliper pistons and seals too.

There are a few posts here regarding caliper rebuilding, as well as quite a few YouTube videos showing the basic 'How to' of rebuilding.

The alternative would be to replace the entire caliper(s), or take it to a shop and have them relieve you of your childrens' inheritence.

Tim
Back to top Go down
lenseonlife
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Back After 3 Years - Back Wheel Brake Seized Solid   Back After 3 Years - Back Wheel Brake Seized Solid I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 23, 2015 8:56 pm

That was quick! And on a Sunday :-)

Great instructions - just coming up to 21:00 here - will start tomorrow evening (weather permitting).

Once I get them off - then to YouTube land and start preparing for a rebuild - should be interesting, and I think I'll take your advice and do the front as well.

I'll put the sledge hammer back to bed and save for another day.

Thanks for the help.

cheers for now,
Back to top Go down
NWSSC
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
NWSSC

Number of posts : 418
Registration date : 2010-03-03

PostSubject: Back After 3 Years    Back After 3 Years - Back Wheel Brake Seized Solid I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2015 1:39 am

If I may suggest,rebuild one caliper at a time.You can run into a lot of time bleeding the system if you let most of the fluid run out.
Also I like to find a small length of hose (put a small bolt in one end)  and slip it over the brake line to minimize the loss of brake fluid. And of course now is the time to thoroughly flush all of the old fluid out.
Howard
Back to top Go down
http://www.northwestsuburbanscooterclub.com/
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

PostSubject: Re: Back After 3 Years - Back Wheel Brake Seized Solid   Back After 3 Years - Back Wheel Brake Seized Solid I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2015 2:31 am

There are 2 brake system's on the rear wheel .Did you dis engage the parking brake.( food for thought.) My parking brake locked up ,and the harder I pull to release ,it would not release until my friend tried a lighter release and the parking brake came off.
Back to top Go down
lenseonlife
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Back After 3 Years - Back Wheel Brake Seized Solid   Back After 3 Years - Back Wheel Brake Seized Solid I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2015 9:49 am

Yes,

Had hoped it was the parking brake - but that slipped off no problem.

It is the biggie one that's stuck.

Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions
Back to top Go down
lenseonlife
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Back After 3 Years - Back Wheel Brake Seized Solid   Back After 3 Years - Back Wheel Brake Seized Solid I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2015 12:03 pm

Well, IT'S OFF!

And now it does need a big restore - most everything is corroded.

Next job - find a manual - I'll post a new thread on that

Thanks for all the support
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-04

PostSubject: Re: Back After 3 Years - Back Wheel Brake Seized Solid   Back After 3 Years - Back Wheel Brake Seized Solid I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2015 1:57 am

applause Let us know how the restore goes.
Back to top Go down
lenseonlife
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Back After 3 Years - Back Wheel Brake Seized Solid   Back After 3 Years - Back Wheel Brake Seized Solid I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2015 10:57 am

The last bike I worked on was a Honda 125 back in 1976!!! So this should be enjoyable.

If I get a chance I will video portions of it and post,

I came across the following understatement online when I had to remove the rear wheel a couple of years ago due to a wobble (probably out of a service manual for the Silver Wing)

'Removing the rear wheel, for tire replacement, on the Silver Wing is quite easy. It only requires a few tools and removal of only a few parts.' - yet I spent over an hour yesterday grunting, pulling, pushing and generally wrestling with the exhaust / muffler which was just number 1 of the removal of 'just a few parts'. Brute force won out in the end! cheers
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

Number of posts : 876
Registration date : 2012-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Back After 3 Years - Back Wheel Brake Seized Solid   Back After 3 Years - Back Wheel Brake Seized Solid I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2015 11:13 am

Yes you must have lots of corrosion. Removing the rear wheel should only take 10-15 minutes tops.
Back to top Go down
tankyuong
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
tankyuong

Number of posts : 475
Registration date : 2009-07-12

PostSubject: Re: Back After 3 Years - Back Wheel Brake Seized Solid   Back After 3 Years - Back Wheel Brake Seized Solid I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2016 6:41 am

Im back too
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3783
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Back After 3 Years - Back Wheel Brake Seized Solid   Back After 3 Years - Back Wheel Brake Seized Solid I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2016 3:32 pm

Not seized solid, one hopes! Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Back After 3 Years - Back Wheel Brake Seized Solid   Back After 3 Years - Back Wheel Brake Seized Solid I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Back After 3 Years - Back Wheel Brake Seized Solid
Page 1 of 1