Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Rear shock longevity
Car tire back wheel trike I_icon_minitimeby Mighty Mouse Today at 4:47 am

» Final Drive Noise banished
Car tire back wheel trike I_icon_minitimeby dovahkiin Today at 1:29 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Car tire back wheel trike I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
Car tire back wheel trike I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks
Car tire back wheel trike I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Car tire back wheel trike I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Car tire back wheel trike I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Car tire back wheel trike I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Car tire back wheel trike I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Car tire back wheel trike I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:16 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Car tire back wheel trike

Go down 
+3
Dale N.
Cosmic_Jumper
Russ Wristen
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Russ Wristen
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2019-06-25

Car tire back wheel trike Empty
PostSubject: Car tire back wheel trike   Car tire back wheel trike I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 04, 2019 6:33 am

QUESTION 1:
Do you have direct experience using a car tire on the rear of a TRIKE Silverwing?

This may have been asked before however I have acquired a 2006 Honda Silverwing with Voyager trike kit. The outer two TRIKE tires are 14 inch 60s with excellent tread, I think they’ve been on there the life of the bike which is 8000 miles.

The front tire would get by but it’s factory original but still has tread. But when I replace the rear I will replace the front anyway.

However the rear drive tire is completely bald and I’m definitely going to replace it.

I’ve been looking at motorcycle tires and it just seems the tread longevity has a short lifespan of 1500 to 3000 miles. Depending on how you drive it.

QUESTION 2: would a regular radial car tire be recommended in place of a motorcycle tire on the back?
This is the traction tire setting everything in motion. Since it is a trike with two outer car tires already, the rear tire is not leaning left or right. Am I right about that?

QUESTION 3: Would a car tire cause any problems with the 600 cc engine turning a regular car tire

QUESTION 4: Would there beca rear braking issue if uding a car tire?

And with that in mind, would it be advised to also put an automobile tire on the front?

I’ve also read about reverse set up’s where you put the front tire on the back and the back tire on the front. There is a size difference, the front tire is a recommended 14 inch and the rear tire is a recommended 13 inch. But that advice is given to owners of Harley and Honda Gold wing trike’s, not too sure if it even matters on a small 600 cc trike.

I’m a newbie and I figured you guys might have more experience than I do.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Car tire back wheel trike   Car tire back wheel trike I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 04, 2019 8:45 am

Question 1: Car tire, yes. On a trike, no.
Q2: Radial tire, yes
Q3: No
Q4: No

Since the Silverwing wasn't designed for sidecar or trike use I suspect that the steering head angle & front end geometery might be negatively effected by using a car tire on the front. 

Maybe you are overthinking this a bit. There are several folks here who've had trike conversions (some training wheel trike kits, some with actual trike conversions) and I never recall mention of car tire on the front.

Tim
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1982
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Car tire back wheel trike   Car tire back wheel trike I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 04, 2019 8:57 am

Good Morning Russ.
I don't have any experience with a Voyager kit but there have been some who have gone what they call "Dark Side" using a car tire. With the Voyager kit I don't see any real problem with using a car tire with it. There are probably others on here who have more knowledge than I do about it.
As for question 3 I don't see any problems with the car tire and the 600 cc engine. That wouldn't really make any difference with the kit already on the SWing, in my opinion.
#4. Braking shouldn't be any more or less a problem.
I wouldn't advise putting the front tire on the back. Not sure if it would fit anyway.
I have an 08 SWing with the Motor Trike kit on it but with mine the original rear wheel is completely removed and only 2 wheels on the back. Both of these wheels have disk brakes and car tires.

What Tim said. He has more experience than I do.

Car tire back wheel trike Coborn24
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3294
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Car tire back wheel trike   Car tire back wheel trike I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 04, 2019 10:00 am

Car tire on scooter rim, in my book a no no---bike (MC) rims are car rims are different at bead area. There is SAE paper on this---with SilverWing, better stick to tires that were made for it!! even with training wheel conversion.

My take with little or no safety approval required for registration, many of these trikes aint too safe. Remember how easy your trike tipped over as kid-----and how Honda had to take its 3 wheel ATV off the market, as it was dangerous?

Based on over 40 years of sidecar experience--SilverWing to use as trike should have steering damper/adjustable trail front fork/reduced gearing.....and then the drive train not designed for extra strain/short belt life.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1381
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Car tire back wheel trike   Car tire back wheel trike I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 04, 2019 5:10 pm

Car tire has a thicker bead area never fully seated on a motorcycle wheel. Many use them with no problems but why risk it.

Car tire will last much longer though.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Car tire back wheel trike   Car tire back wheel trike I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 05, 2019 8:24 pm

Russ,
I am traveling through western Canada from Idaho on my 2004 Swing that has a Voyager conversion. Two years ago I went to the dark side.  The Swing handles it great. No problems braking. Just make sure the pre-load is correct for your riding style.  My wife is traveling as my co-pilot and I have given it a slight positive pre-load. Not sure if Dale's trike bounces a lot. My wife doesn't like it when we go over bumps in the road.
I do notice head shake between 40-48 miles per hour. Tried several things to correct it, but unable to fix it for now. It may have something to do with the rake angle. Just stay out of that speed range.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3294
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Car tire back wheel trike   Car tire back wheel trike I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 05, 2019 9:08 pm

Head shake---asking SilverWing to do what it was not designed for----steering damper and adjustable trail fork would probably fix problem.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

PostSubject: Re: Car tire back wheel trike   Car tire back wheel trike I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 05, 2019 9:41 pm

When I had my SWing converted to a trike it was recommended to have a 4.5 degree rake kit put on. I did and haven't had any problems. She still handles great on the road at any speed. Although I haven't tried to take it up to 100 mph like I did when it only had 2 wheels. I just wanted to see what it would do and found out.
Another thing. It is a bit rougher ride on crappy roads and it's probably due to three wheels instead of just two.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

PostSubject: Re: Car tire back wheel trike   Car tire back wheel trike I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 05, 2019 10:44 pm

Dale, where did you get the rake kit from?
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

PostSubject: Re: Car tire back wheel trike   Car tire back wheel trike I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 05, 2019 11:37 pm

From Besser's Bike Barn when I had the kit put on. I'm not sure if they had to order it from Motor Trike Co. or if they had it in the shop already. I would guess from Motor Trike seeing as they made the trike kit.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

PostSubject: Re: Car tire back wheel trike   Car tire back wheel trike I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 06, 2019 1:10 am

Thanks Dale. I will see if they will sell me a kit.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

PostSubject: Re: Car tire back wheel trike   Car tire back wheel trike I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 06, 2019 8:19 am

This is the link for Besser's: https://bessersbikebarninc.com/
Back to top Go down
bikerboy
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2011-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Car tire back wheel trike   Car tire back wheel trike I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 06, 2019 8:38 am

Trikes converted from bicycles need to have the rake altered. My current ride is a trike conversion of a BMW bike and it has a replacement top yoke (triple tree) to do this. The bumpy ride seems to be inevitable as one of the three wheels is sure to hit the bumps or potholes.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Car tire back wheel trike   Car tire back wheel trike I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Car tire back wheel trike
Page 1 of 1