Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Rear shock longevity
Valve stem on back wheel I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 9:07 am

» Hi there guys
Valve stem on back wheel I_icon_minitimeby Kenjls Today at 7:20 am

» Final Drive Noise banished
Valve stem on back wheel I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:14 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Valve stem on back wheel I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
Valve stem on back wheel I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks
Valve stem on back wheel I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Valve stem on back wheel I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Valve stem on back wheel I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Valve stem on back wheel I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Valve stem on back wheel I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Valve stem on back wheel

Go down 
+8
john grinsel
janitorj1
GHM-PM
Easyrider
bicyclenut
SteveO
Bash On!
2wheelgal
12 posters
AuthorMessage
2wheelgal
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2016-08-20

Valve stem on back wheel Empty
PostSubject: Valve stem on back wheel   Valve stem on back wheel I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 29, 2016 9:15 am

Hello all you Silverwing experts! I have been checking things over on my new to me 2009 Swing.  When checking the air in the back tire, even with the Swing on the center stand and me laying on the floor, found it next to impossible to get my gage on the valve stem!  There is just no room to get my hand and gage in and around everything on that wheel (working from the right side of the Swing, not the side with the variator cover) to get at the stem and get my gage on it, then getting the air compressor chuck on to air up the tire.  I am a stickler for making sure the air pressure is correct in tires.  Is there an easier way to do this that I just haven't figured out yet?

Last edited by 2wheelgal on Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Bash On!
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2015-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Valve stem on back wheel   Valve stem on back wheel I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 29, 2016 9:41 am

I use a chuck with a remote gauge, and still have to rotate the wheel so that the valve is away from the brake.
Back to top Go down
SteveO
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
SteveO

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2013-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Valve stem on back wheel   Valve stem on back wheel I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 29, 2016 10:24 am

Do you have a 90degree value stem or a straight stem. My 90degree is turned toward the muffler side and I have no problems

SteveO
Back to top Go down
bicyclenut
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
bicyclenut

Number of posts : 141
Registration date : 2015-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Valve stem on back wheel   Valve stem on back wheel I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 29, 2016 10:31 am

You can get a remote gauge and inflator such as this one as Bash On had indicated:

Digital inflator and gauge

We use these at work for cars all the time.

or you can install TPMS sensors so you only need to mess with tire pressure when low or if you want to check that the sensor is correct if you don't trust the electronics.

Earlier thread about FOBO TPMS

2wheelgal wrote:
Hello all you Silverwing experts! I have been checking things over on my new to me 2009 Swing.  When checking the air in the back tire, even with the Swing on the center stand and me laying on the floor, found it next to impossible to get my gage on the valve stem!  There is just no room to get my hand and gage in and around everything on that wheel (working from the right side of the Swing, not the side with the variator cover) to get at the stem and get my gage on it, then getting the air compressor chuck on to air up the tire.  I am a stickler for making sure the air pressure is correct in tires.  Is there an easier way to do this that I just haven't figured out yet?
Back to top Go down
http://www.MarkNovackPhotography.com
2wheelgal
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Valve stem on back wheel   Valve stem on back wheel I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 29, 2016 10:50 am

Thanks to all for the quick replies!! I will be replacing both tires in the near future and will have the 90 degree stems put on both wheels. Will also purchase the digital remote gage inflator to make checking and airing up the tires much easier. I am so glad I found this forum and the good advice from you seasoned Swing owners!
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Valve stem on back wheel   Valve stem on back wheel I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 29, 2016 3:20 pm

2wheelgal,
Place your bike on the center stand. Lay on the left side (variator side) you can see the value easier. With your right hand you can get to the valve from the right side.
I have a TPMS system from FOBO and love it. It reads within a half pound of my digital gauge. Only have to add air when phone app signals a low air condition. You can check your tires anytime with the app. I also have their T-valve stem and will install them when I have to replace my tires. The T-stem will allow me to add air without having to remove the sensor. I do not know if there is enough room on the back wheel for the T-stem.
Back to top Go down
2wheelgal
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Valve stem on back wheel   Valve stem on back wheel I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 29, 2016 4:09 pm

Thanks Easyrider, I am going to check out the TPMS system, sounds like a good deal to me!
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2553
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Valve stem on back wheel   Valve stem on back wheel I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 29, 2016 9:58 pm

This is a common complaint with the Silver Wing. I absolutely hate this set up... I tried to have Honda reverse the angled valve stem when changing the rear tire. They actually swiveled it but it did not work, clearance was not right... I am wondering if the straight (short) stem like used on the front would work? May try that next time.
Back to top Go down
janitorj1
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2014-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Valve stem on back wheel   Valve stem on back wheel I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 29, 2016 10:07 pm

I bought one of these - you can inflate or deflate while it's attached. Made in USA.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001CJHU9W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But I have a 90 degree valve on the rear, out towards variator.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

PostSubject: Re: Valve stem on back wheel   Valve stem on back wheel I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2016 4:21 am

Glen,
Are you saying that there is not enough room on the rear wheel for the T-stem? I once replaced my rear valve stem that was too tall. It ended up hitting the variator housing causing the air valve to loosen and release air. Had to install the short stem much like the one on the front wheel.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

PostSubject: Re: Valve stem on back wheel   Valve stem on back wheel I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2016 7:41 am

Easyrider wrote:
Glen,
Are you saying that there is not enough room on the rear wheel for the T-stem?  I once replaced my rear valve stem that was too tall. It ended up hitting the variator housing causing the air valve to loosen and release air. Had to install the short stem much like the one on the front wheel.

Exactly! We swiveled the original angled valve toward the variator side but it hit on something (can't remember what) so that did not work. My dealer did say that I could bring it in anytime and THEY would check the pressure for free! Nice except I live 50 miles from them!!!
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3294
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Valve stem on back wheel   Valve stem on back wheel I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2016 6:29 pm

Short, straight valve stem works fine on SilverWing. Get tools that work....pencil gauge, stubby air chuck.

Going back on Tire Pressure sensing junk-----if you cannot feel an underinflated tire, you probably do not belong on 2 wheels....or 4 for that matter.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

PostSubject: Re: Valve stem on back wheel   Valve stem on back wheel I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2016 6:47 pm

Anyone ever installed the T-VALVE from FOBO on the rear wheel? If so, can you describe which way the T faces? I will be attempting to install one when I change my rear tire. Maybe in a year. Thanks
Back to top Go down
bicyclenut
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
bicyclenut

PostSubject: Re: Valve stem on back wheel   Valve stem on back wheel I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2016 1:06 am

I am not sure why anyone would discourage the use of a device that increases safety and awareness of tire pressure, especially on a motorcycle. TPMS does not take the place of manual tire pressure checks but enhances the safety.  There is a reason that it is standard equipment on all cars now sold in the USA and Europe as well as other countries just as ABS, stability control and other safety features are standard or mandated. From my 30+ years in the automotive industry, 95% of drivers could and can not detect a slightly underinflated/overinflated tire when driving or looking at the tire. A grossly uninflated/overinflated tire, maybe, but the TPMS system, especially a direct TPMS system, can give you an accurate reading or inform you in advance of a pressure loss before it might become catastrophic.  I wouldn't be surprised if TPMS doesn't become standard equipment on motorcycles soon just as ABS is becoming more standard. Again, there are the minority of highly skilled riders who can brake as well or better than a bike with ABS, but for the masses it is a safety device that enhances safety. Again, TPMS does not eliminate the need for a manual pressure check, but enhances the safety, performance, fuel economy and tire life with real time information.

Iron Butt Article on Motorcycle TPMS, systems available are a bit dated from 2010

john grinsel wrote:
Short, straight valve stem works fine on SilverWing.   Get tools that work....pencil gauge, stubby air chuck.

Going back on Tire Pressure sensing junk-----if you cannot feel an underinflated tire, you probably do not belong on 2 wheels....or 4 for that matter.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4174
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Valve stem on back wheel   Valve stem on back wheel I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2016 7:31 am

I've nothing against TPMS, there's one with all the other toys fitted to our car but I still go round and check the tyre pressures with a pencil gauge, add air if necessary and do a visual check for wear, cracks, and remove any small stones from the tyre tread.

I had a set of those visual TPM caps on the Silver Wing for a time, the rear one failed and came apart scattering it's bits over my garage floor, luckily not when I was riding, so I'm sticking with conventional valve caps. I didn't like crawling around checking pressures with the OE Honda valves, so I replaced them with low profile alloy racing valves. Earlier I'd already changed from a tyre pump with a clip on connector to one with a screw on connector, less faffing around and losing air when connecting or removing it from the tyres.

One good thing about being down and dirty with the tyre gauge and pump, you're more visually aware of the overall condition and wear rate of the tyre. We have none of that Darkside nonsense in the UK, so keeping tyres in a safe and legal condition is in our interest. For our own safety, to pass the annual MOT test, to avoid Police prosecution, and to stop insurance companies using a riders worn or under inflated tyres in accidents and crashes as a loophole or excuse to wriggle out of their responsibilities.
Back to top Go down
Modernman1953
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 379
Registration date : 2016-06-01

PostSubject: Re: Valve stem on back wheel   Valve stem on back wheel I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 01, 2016 12:58 am

When you use a car tire, you have the option of using a Run Flat tire.  This along with the tire pressure monitoring system will allow you to safely move to the side of the road when having a flat tire.

Safety equipment like this, helps and might keep one from sliding down the road in the ATGATT.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

PostSubject: Re: Valve stem on back wheel   Valve stem on back wheel I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 01, 2016 8:20 am

TPMS is a safety feature to be sure as the majority of motorists do NOT check pressure on a regular basis. I however DO, keep pressure gauges handy and check tires frequently so not essential in my case. My complaint is the extra expense when having to change sensors...either when the sensor fails or when a tire is replaced.
Back to top Go down
bicyclenut
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
bicyclenut

PostSubject: Re: Valve stem on back wheel   Valve stem on back wheel I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 01, 2016 9:32 am

Glenn,

it is necessary to check tire pressure and condition regularly even with TPMS as some systems don't monitor actual pressure (passive systems on older cars and some other cars use the ABS sensor to determine low variances due to the speed of the wheel) and some active systems just monitor pressure difference that are outside a range 2-5% to turn the light on.  I have seen cars with all tires overinflated 20psi and the light is not one because all tires are equal pressure so it doesn't trigger light yet tire pressure is not correct.

The TPMS systems do add an extra expense although you should not have to replace them at a tire change unless the tech damages them in removal or installation of the tire.  We have only begun to see batteries fail after many years of service as most sensors shut down when not moving. Some of the external TPMS sensors for motorcycles, such as FOBO have used replaceable batteries (CR2032). For autos, the metal or aluminum stems were an issue as when damaged the entire sensor had to be replaced, $75-150 plus labor, but the newer design has a rubber replaceable stem that is a better design as if stem needs to be replaced or is damaged, the sensor can be reused.

Of note, if you have a metal (aluminum) stem for TPMS on car or motorcycle, be sure to use a plastic valve stem cap and do use a cap. We have a drawer full of TPMS sensors that have damaged stems because a metal cap was used and the dissimilar metals, aluminum stem and steel or brass cap, fuse together and the stem breaks off when some one uses a pliers to try and get off or salt and water create corrosion in the stem.

GHM-PM wrote:
TPMS is a safety feature to be sure as the majority of motorists do NOT check pressure on a regular basis.  I however DO, keep pressure gauges handy and check tires frequently so not essential in my case.  My complaint is the extra expense when having to change sensors...either when the sensor fails or when a tire is replaced.
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2014-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Valve stem on back wheel   Valve stem on back wheel I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 04, 2016 4:33 pm

Rear wheel metal right angle valve facing variator casing, at first rib there's about 3/16 ths" clearance ...

Valve stem on back wheel Dscn3011

It's the next rib that needs a small amount of 'attention' with a Dremel/die grinder ....

Valve stem on back wheel Dscn3010
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Valve stem on back wheel   Valve stem on back wheel I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 05, 2016 4:24 pm

I like TPMS. My GT came with it installed. It indicates the tire pressure on the instrument panel. There is also an oil level monitor as well . They may be gimmicks but it means I check tire pressure and oil level on EVERY ride which is all to the good.
One thing I like about TPMS is occasionally when one hits a rock or something that makes a loud 'ping' or some such noise I know can switch on the TPMS and monitor the tire to make sure it's not losing pressure. I think they are well worth having on a bike even more than a four wheeler. A car can lose a tire and keep going, a bike has a nasty tendency to end up going down when a tire loses its air.
Monitors alike those above, ABS, and such do make for safer riding. In the US and Canada I like headlight monitors as well. They make a bike stand out to auto drivers who won't be saying, "I just didn't see him" to the police as they stand over a crashed rider on the pavement.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Valve stem on back wheel   Valve stem on back wheel I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Valve stem on back wheel
Page 1 of 1