Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» LF extended back rest
can and should I replace my dual brake cylinders with a single reservoir? I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Today at 11:19 am

» New to Me Swing
can and should I replace my dual brake cylinders with a single reservoir? I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Yesterday at 10:47 pm

» I said Farewell...
can and should I replace my dual brake cylinders with a single reservoir? I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Yesterday at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
can and should I replace my dual brake cylinders with a single reservoir? I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 5:05 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
can and should I replace my dual brake cylinders with a single reservoir? I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
can and should I replace my dual brake cylinders with a single reservoir? I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
can and should I replace my dual brake cylinders with a single reservoir? I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
can and should I replace my dual brake cylinders with a single reservoir? I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
can and should I replace my dual brake cylinders with a single reservoir? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
can and should I replace my dual brake cylinders with a single reservoir? I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

can and should I replace my dual brake cylinders with a single reservoir?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
XDM©
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
XDM©

Number of posts : 110
Registration date : 2019-10-20

can and should I replace my dual brake cylinders with a single reservoir? Empty
PostSubject: can and should I replace my dual brake cylinders with a single reservoir?   can and should I replace my dual brake cylinders with a single reservoir? I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 28, 2023 7:36 pm

So my brake reservoirs have started leaking again due to the broken glass window, looks like weathering. This is the second pair that I have brought and one side broke and the other one is on the way of breaking two I was wondering if I can convert (or more like should I) change my brake system to a single reservoir master cylinder system?
Or maybe can I even replace the all-in-one cylinders with two dedicated external reservoirs?
Back to top Go down
1Wingman1
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2013-01-19

PostSubject: Re: can and should I replace my dual brake cylinders with a single reservoir?   can and should I replace my dual brake cylinders with a single reservoir? I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 28, 2023 7:49 pm

April Fool's Day is close but you are early.
Back to top Go down
XDM©
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
XDM©

PostSubject: Re: can and should I replace my dual brake cylinders with a single reservoir?   can and should I replace my dual brake cylinders with a single reservoir? I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 28, 2023 8:17 pm

1Wingman1 wrote:
April Fool's Day is close but you are early.
Those assemblies are expressive and the little glass window is fragile. id like to have the plastic reservoir
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1564
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: can and should I replace my dual brake cylinders with a single reservoir?   can and should I replace my dual brake cylinders with a single reservoir? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 29, 2023 3:19 am

Can you? I would say, probably. Should you? It sounds like a mountain of work and pain.

I would be fascinated to see the results though.
Back to top Go down
JohnyC
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
JohnyC

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2022-12-23

PostSubject: Re: can and should I replace my dual brake cylinders with a single reservoir?   can and should I replace my dual brake cylinders with a single reservoir? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 29, 2023 7:42 am

Hi XDM.
This applies to EU road bikes, don't know about States but,
A Motor vehicle has a duel braking system, road bikes must have independent front and rear braking systems ie. cable/ hydraulic, or cable/cable or hydraulic/hydraulic. They can be linked like the rear brake on a Silverwing but it's still independent circuits so if one fails you still have the other. You can have a single reservoir feeding 2 master cylinders(front/back).

That said. Wanting to change the stock masters for something new will give you a big problem.
Finding the rear brake lever(left) because of the brake light/start switch, all kits I have seen to convert, the left lever is a clutch lever so no mounts for switches and no lug on lever to click them.

So no simple fix other than buying a Honda spare, and I must say youv'e been rather unlucky with the reservoir windows IMO.

Hope this helps

Be safe, be seen and heard!
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 516
Registration date : 2020-12-26

PostSubject: Re: can and should I replace my dual brake cylinders with a single reservoir?   can and should I replace my dual brake cylinders with a single reservoir? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 29, 2023 9:36 am

Just replace the glass/plastic window on reservoir !, Afaik they are all similar diameter, but you can measure to be sure, I got a dozen from eBay years ago, I've replaced them on several bikes/scooters, just did my Burgman this winter, I used a small "C" clamp and suitable socket, etc. Obviously need to drain/clean/dry reservoir, but it can be done with reservoir still on bikes, some mechanical ability is a must. look for how to videos on YouTube.
Back to top Go down
XDM©
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
XDM©

PostSubject: Re: can and should I replace my dual brake cylinders with a single reservoir?   can and should I replace my dual brake cylinders with a single reservoir? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 30, 2023 2:22 am

zrx212 wrote:
Just replace the glass/plastic window on reservoir !, Afaik they are all similar diameter, but you can measure to be sure, I got a dozen from eBay years ago, I've replaced them on several bikes/scooters, just did my Burgman this winter, I used a small "C" clamp and suitable socket, etc. Obviously need to drain/clean/dry reservoir, but it can be done with reservoir still on bikes, some mechanical ability is a must. look for how to videos on YouTube.
thats GENIUS! I'll be doing that instead! i never knew those windows can come off! my master cylinder is still in good shape 👍
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: can and should I replace my dual brake cylinders with a single reservoir?   can and should I replace my dual brake cylinders with a single reservoir? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

can and should I replace my dual brake cylinders with a single reservoir?
Page 1 of 1