Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
We may need a few extra cylinders for this. I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 1:54 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
We may need a few extra cylinders for this. I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
We may need a few extra cylinders for this. I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
We may need a few extra cylinders for this. I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
We may need a few extra cylinders for this. I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
We may need a few extra cylinders for this. I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
We may need a few extra cylinders for this. I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
We may need a few extra cylinders for this. I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
We may need a few extra cylinders for this. I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
We may need a few extra cylinders for this. I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

We may need a few extra cylinders for this.

Go down 
+2
Dale N.
oldwingguy
6 posters
AuthorMessage
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

We may need a few extra cylinders for this. Empty
PostSubject: We may need a few extra cylinders for this.   We may need a few extra cylinders for this. I_icon_minitimeWed May 11, 2016 8:06 am

It's interesting to say the least but maybe something else to go wrong?

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2016/05/09/honda-patents-engine-with-different-cylinder-displacements/
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1981
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: We may need a few extra cylinders for this.   We may need a few extra cylinders for this. I_icon_minitimeWed May 11, 2016 8:44 am

If I understood this right it would be something like the V-8 engines now that can go from 8-6-4 to conserve gas at highway speeds.

The Rotary Engine didn't take off very good because of being a gas guzzler. The idea was great and the engine was simple but the economy wasn't good.

This one might be a great idea and engine but I guess time will tell.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: We may need a few extra cylinders for this.   We may need a few extra cylinders for this. I_icon_minitimeWed May 11, 2016 11:08 am

What it seems to be if I read right is the cylinders vary in size if not in diameter then in stroke, like long stroke for torque to get going shorter for road use. I remember those Caddy engine, great idea but a troubled engine mechanically. Hondas V6 has a cylinder disabling feature for economy it seems to work ok.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: We may need a few extra cylinders for this.   We may need a few extra cylinders for this. I_icon_minitimeSat May 14, 2016 1:28 am

I'd suspect the reason for having the cylinder bores the same and varying displacement via stroke length was done for simplicity. That way you only have to change the crankshaft not the whole block. You could build the system with an existing block and head, valve train, etc. Since each piston and connecting rod would be the same size with only crankshaft throws varying it should be easy to balance the system. Pretty slick and inexpensive to manufacture.
Back to top Go down
Sidewinder Pilot
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Sidewinder Pilot

Number of posts : 200
Registration date : 2015-05-21

PostSubject: Re: We may need a few extra cylinders for this.   We may need a few extra cylinders for this. I_icon_minitimeSun May 15, 2016 12:07 pm

The connecting rods would be of differing length, with the short-throw journals receiving the longer rods.
All of the pistons need to reach the same position on the exhaust/compression stroke, otherwise those cylinders would not achieve sufficient compression to run efficiently or purge exhaust gasses.
Also, you would still need some valve-train monkey-motion device to take the unused cylinders off-line and not have them pumping air, but they already have this with their current VCM.
Honda has a long history of combustion management technology, from the 70's with CVCC (stratified charge), then VTEC (variable valve timing) and now the current VCM (variable cylinder management)
Interestingly, this latest generation of VCM also utilizes active engine vibration dampening and active cabin noise reduction to provide smooth transition and operation. Lot's of points of failure....
But....
If anyone can make it work reliably, it would be Honda!

Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: We may need a few extra cylinders for this.   We may need a few extra cylinders for this. I_icon_minitimeSun May 15, 2016 3:10 pm

I agree but think it would work by having the crankshaft throws differing while still using rods of equal length. Honda, especially the motorcycle division is famous for using a lot of parts in common among various models, especially engine parts. Seems they just grab out of the same parts box for a lot of different uses. Either way, I agree if Honda does it, it will work. I've owned a bunch of their bikes and cars over the years and all of them were extremely reliable.
Back to top Go down
Sidewinder Pilot
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Sidewinder Pilot

PostSubject: Re: We may need a few extra cylinders for this.   We may need a few extra cylinders for this. I_icon_minitimeSun May 15, 2016 6:41 pm

Remember the short-throw journal is closer to the cranks centerline, so, when at TDC it will be farther from the head...if you don't lengthen the rod the piston would not reach high enough to create a useable combustion chamber as it's compression ratio would be to low for proper ignition.

I think the accountants would have to bite it on this one, one or two additional parts won't kill them....even the beancounters can't change physics and geometry!
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: We may need a few extra cylinders for this.   We may need a few extra cylinders for this. I_icon_minitimeMon May 16, 2016 12:14 am

Yes indeed, you're entirely correct. My only excuse for poor visualization is that I have a terminal disease. A.G.E. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Sidewinder Pilot
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Sidewinder Pilot

PostSubject: Re: We may need a few extra cylinders for this.   We may need a few extra cylinders for this. I_icon_minitimeMon May 16, 2016 1:10 am

I too have A.G.E, It's currently stage 1, but I also have full-blown C.R.S.! Shocked
Back to top Go down
Art
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 272
Registration date : 2015-12-25

PostSubject: Re: We may need a few extra cylinders for this.   We may need a few extra cylinders for this. I_icon_minitimeMon May 16, 2016 12:39 pm

i was diagnosed with CRS at 28 AGE I am only in stage 1 of
Back to top Go down
Winger61
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Winger61

Number of posts : 452
Registration date : 2010-10-15

PostSubject: Re: We may need a few extra cylinders for this.   We may need a few extra cylinders for this. I_icon_minitimeMon May 16, 2016 5:44 pm

I've got advanced CRAFT syndrome! Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: We may need a few extra cylinders for this.   We may need a few extra cylinders for this. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

We may need a few extra cylinders for this.
Page 1 of 1