Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Rear shock longevity
long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 7:50 am

» Final Drive Noise banished
long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons I_icon_minitimeby dovahkiin Today at 6:29 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 12:40 pm

» What did you do to your SW today.
long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks
long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:06 am

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:29 pm

» peace, love and life
long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:58 pm

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:16 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons

Go down 
+28
lalee
dickie
bigtrain
Jinglebob
sctr199
Magoo Triker
bigbird
jdeereanton
cotetoi
MikeO
Scooterian
bikerboy
Hammy
pippobis2
skootrtrash
RArch
surlybiker58
Cosmic_Jumper
GHM-PM
Meldrew
masscoot
rodenbach
john grinsel
dspevack
old fart
KurtPerthWA
CathyN
scooterboyz
32 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
scooterboyz
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2012-10-24

long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons Empty
PostSubject: long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons   long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2012 3:56 am

What's the further distance any of my fellow members have ridden in a single day and how was it?

I'm actually wanting to see/visit the Grand Canyon on my 02 Swing and would like to get a feel ( other opinions ) for the ride and mechanical risk involved.

thanks in advance
Back to top Go down
CathyN
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons   long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2012 4:16 am

The most mileage I have gone in one day is 620 miles. That was last August. I rode from Chicago to Grand Island, NE all interstate (boring). It was about 13 1/2 hours. Started out cool, had a little drizzle no mechanical issues. We were on our way to the Black Hills in SD. Now those are some nice roads. Smile

It all depends on your weather and the roads you take. Ideally I like shorter mileage and fun roads. But sometimes you have to take some boring interstates to get to them. Especially in Illinois. Sad

Cathy

Last edited by CathyN on Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:57 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Corrected total time in the saddle.)
Back to top Go down
KurtPerthWA
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
KurtPerthWA

Number of posts : 1709
Registration date : 2009-01-19

PostSubject: Re: long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons   long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2012 5:09 am

HMMM yeah, I think I know what you mean, Cathy

long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons Nullab10

long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons 90_mil10

(Not me, file pic, but Ive been there many times)

When I was about 20....Single longest distance justover 1000miles with about 2hours sleep somewhere between 600-700 miles.Melbourne to Brisbane before the freeways and the roads were just better than goattracks
Longest ride on the Swing about 550 klm a couple of years ago.
Albany - Denmark to Mt Barker to Perth and a few years ago on the MZ, Albany to Denmark to Bunbury to Perth (750klm +) but then I am not as young as I once was. These days I can manage about 2-3 hours on the scoot Max.

Last edited by KurtPerthWA on Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
scooterboyz
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2012-10-24

PostSubject: Re: long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons   long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2012 5:13 am

Thanks Cathy. Here in CT we have some very twisty and challenging mountain roads and beatiful scenery. I love it all but really want to get out there. ............. somewhere beuatiful that I've never been . Sounds like you didn't have any mechanical problems and thats what I wanted to hear the most.

Thanks again for relating your experience
Back to top Go down
old fart
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
old fart

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2009-02-02

PostSubject: Re: long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons   long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2012 5:20 am

I've done about a dozen 600 mile days. Some back to back.
I have a throttle lock and an airhawk pillow. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to L/D ride.
One ride from Edmonton, Alberta, Canada to San Francisco by way of Oregon coast. That was a bucket list ride.
The other was last summer from Edmonton to Homer Alaska.
That was a double bucket list ride. cheers
Once I get on the scoot I can't seem to get off it.
I've ridden in all kinds of weather.
You ride the good with the bad.
Parking brake was stuck once. Got the tool kit out and released and adjusted it.
Accidently hit the kill switch when gassing up.
A WT* moment till I figured it out.
Make sure you do your maintenance and these scoots will always get you home.
Good thing I don't live in southern US. I would be welded to it.
Not into iron butt riding but I'm sure I could do it. small moped
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons   long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2012 7:30 am

about 1000 miles... Miami to Knoxville TN.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3294
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons   long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2012 10:44 am

I once did 986 miles in one sitting---boring/dangerous near end. Scooter long distance fine---if you are in shape, have professional quality riding gear.

Returned last nite--4 day 1600 miles on scooter (Burgman 400) Three days 36F AM temps, yesterday 33. Trip Chattanooga to MI---miserable weather, including cold rain yesterday afternoon.

Japanese made bikes/scooters in good shape= no problem.

I have made several winter coast to coast crossings in US, Helix/HD sidecar outfit/Suzuki GB500E-----all fun-----only Helix would start at 10F on reg basis---HD and Suzuki required warming battery inside to get going.
Back to top Go down
rodenbach
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
rodenbach

Number of posts : 321
Registration date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons   long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2012 11:29 am

When I was younger I have done a couple of +600 Miles rides, on different motorcycles. (but never on a scooter) The most difficult one from Corsica to Antwerp (+/-750 Miles) with a non-working clutch on a Yamaha XS750, by French Routes Nationales.

My most remarkable long-distance ride was starting on a Monday morning, at 9 a.m. in Copenhagen (Denmark) to arrive home in Antwerp (Belgium) around 6 p.m. Some 600 Miles, including a ferry crossing. Long live the German 'no speed limit' Autobahns! On arrival, I had time enough left to take a shower and then ride on to Brussels, where I had to start working at 10 p.m.

On my Laverda SF 750 I always wore ear plugs when riding long distance: the original pipes were way too loud and left me with a constant buzz in the ears for hours after I got off the bike. Perhaps a good idea on a Silverwing with original screen (???)

On my Silverwing I only did a 200 Miles tour so far, but I don't see why one shouldn't be able to ride a Wing for many hours. You'll have to stop every two hours or so to fill 'r up, anyway...
Back to top Go down
masscoot
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
masscoot

Number of posts : 438
Registration date : 2009-03-24

PostSubject: Re: long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons   long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2012 1:26 pm

My longest time in the saddle was 380 mi in September to a really in PA. We mixed it up between interstate and twisties about 60-40 in favor of twisties. A fun but long day. Like John and many others suggest, conditioning has a lot to do with your endurance. I am not sure of the destinations you are interested in but if you head due north to VT/NH there are some great roads and scenery. CT as you already know is very rider friendly!
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4174

PostSubject: Re: long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons   long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2012 1:33 pm

I don't find long distance rides are that much different or a bike or scooter, and engine size doesn't matter that much either as long as you have the stamina to spend long hours riding. All a bigger engine does is give you the the ability to cruise faster, accelerate past slower traffic quicker, and push through the turbulent wake of heavy vehicles easier. On a smaller bike or scooter you know it'll struggle at times so you just have to adjust to a slower pace, and you've got more time to appreciate the area you're riding in. Neutral

Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2551
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons   long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2012 1:50 pm

I have done several 300-400 mile days but the terrain was always a combination of highway-twisties-freeway. I think a 500 mile days is attainable on a pure freeway trek. To me hours in the saddle is the key thing. 11-12 hours on the stock saddle causes me pain Embarassed

Perhaps with a bead cover or Airhawk this would not be the case.

But at my age it is about the ride NOT the amount of miles I can do.
Back to top Go down
rodenbach
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
rodenbach

PostSubject: Re: long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons   long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2012 3:15 pm

I have to agree with GHM-PM: it's the time in the saddle, not the distance covered that counts. Also the kind of roads you are riding on: 200 Miles of twist 'n turn roads will be more exhausting than 500 miles of motorway.

I.m.h.o. when riding long distance it's important to 'stretch your legs' from time to time: while stopping for fuel, have a soda and/or a snack. And when planning your trip: don't over-estimate your average speed, so that you never have to hurry up to meet your goal.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons   long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2012 5:49 pm

I prefer to travel alone and have done several 3000+ mile trips, ridden many 650-750 mile days, some of them back to back, as well as one IBA-certified Saddle Sore 1000 ride. All on my '03 SW. Under those circumstances I traditionally leave at 0400-0500 AM to both get a good fresh start as well as to avoid the horrendous traffic in these parts. And don't stop for a 'breakfast' until I've run the first tank.

The 'trick' to LD riding IMHO is to have a motel booked, or some such destination, so that you have a goal to shoot for. That way you can ride until the late hours and get where you expect to be. Some LD riders I know use Bluetooth & GPS devices so that they are able to find & book a motel while on the fly. A bit too high tech for this old skool rider.

Beside maps, and a Clearview windscreen the only other "travel aid' I use is a sheepskin seat pad --warm in the winter, cool in the summer.

Tim
'03 Silverwing, Cosmic Jumper
70,000 miles & counting
Back to top Go down
surlybiker58
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
surlybiker58

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2011-12-11

PostSubject: Re: long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons   long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2012 7:50 pm

Kurt,

With 90 miles of open straight road, I'd be real tempted to
twist the throttle to red line just to see what the Wing would do
at top end.

Can't try it my neck of the woods, too much traffic and too many police officers to enforce the speed limits which I "always" follow to the letter of the law.
(preceding disclaimer was just in case any of you happen to be wonderful Maryland Law enforcement officers)
Back to top Go down
KurtPerthWA
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
KurtPerthWA

Number of posts : 1709
Registration date : 2009-01-19

PostSubject: Re: long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons   long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 05, 2012 3:22 am

Good point Surlybiker58.

I remember one evening cruising (wife driving about 110-120 kmh) along there in the back of the car dozing off when something went past that would have been doing around twice that. Within a few seconds a second car came past with sirens blaring (110km Speed limit all the way) My young son at the time said the plod were in an unmarked Subaru WRX.

You never know where they are or when they will strike. Along this stretch of the highway they use spotter planes to time you over 1/4 mile to white marker lines across the road and cameras. One type of camera used in remote areas takes your details and transmits to another camera any given distance away. If your elapsed time is too short for the distance... $$$$$$$ fully automated State revenue.

We tend to drive sedately especially around dawn and dusk due to roos and camels.
Back to top Go down
RArch
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
RArch

Number of posts : 613
Registration date : 2011-11-07

PostSubject: Re: long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons   long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 05, 2012 12:38 pm

Such a camera system is widely used here in the UK on Motorway road works.

No doubt it will become more and more the norm on all roads:(

Back to top Go down
http://www.rcmodeltalk.co.uk
rodenbach
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
rodenbach

PostSubject: Re: long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons   long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 05, 2012 2:34 pm

In Belgium, this new "fixed average speed check" technique is called trajectcontrole. It was first applied in Holland, but nowadays in more and more countries, e.g. Australia (Safe-T-Cam), Austria, Italy,... Sad

My favourite stretch of motorway is the E40 between the last exit in France and the first exit in Belgium. It is a kind of 'no-man's-land' where I have never seen a policecar, let alone a speed trap. I've never exceded 130MPH there... Twisted Evil

long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons 71ofvb
Back to top Go down
skootrtrash
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
skootrtrash

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2012-07-13

PostSubject: Re: long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons   long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 21, 2012 1:08 am

Went 250 awesome miles about 2 weeks ago from northeast Ohio south toward the Ohio river on a twisty road called Route 9 and back up Route 800. Nice long sweepers and majestic views.

The weather was great! about 65-73 degrees, slight wind at 15mph from the south...and nothing but blue sky. I was on my S'wing and my riding buddy on his 650 Burg. We each had cordura cold weather gear-jacket, pants and Balaclavas.

Lets just say my arse hurt after that one! We only stopped for gas twice, so most of the day-6 hours- was in the saddle. Wink
Back to top Go down
pippobis2
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
pippobis2

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2009-03-15

PostSubject: Re: long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons   long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 21, 2012 6:42 am

for me only 850 km (550 miles) in one day, Milan (Italy) - (Tours) France.
Back to top Go down
Hammy
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Hammy

Number of posts : 362
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons   long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 16, 2013 9:17 am

1520 miles from Philadelphia to Savannah and back. Don't think I'll do that again anytime soon, at least not on the East Coast.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ezridersscooterclub.com
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons   long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 16, 2013 10:04 am

It's easy enough to sit on motorways/autobahns/interstates all day long racking hundreds of miles as a means of reaching your destination, but it's not really interesting. All I remember are the service areas I stopped at every 130-150 miles or so for fuel, food, and comfort breaks.
Back to top Go down
surlybiker58
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
surlybiker58

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2011-12-11

PostSubject: Re: long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons   long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 16, 2013 1:11 pm

I agree with Meldrew. I try to avoid the interstates if I can and take the secondary highways.
There's much more to see and you don't have as many tractor trailers and the corresponding air
turbulence they create to deal with. Also I like to look for good places to stop and eat.
There's not many of them located on or near the interstates.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

PostSubject: Re: long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons   long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 16, 2013 2:26 pm

I also plan my trips with as little freeway time as possible! Usually I am out to SEE sights not just the tarmac... I try not to be in a huge hurry so I can see and enjoy things, stop to take pictures etc.

A 300 mile day is long for me, I know guys on here talk about 500+ mile days, but that just doesn't sound like fun to me... Back to the "too many hours in the saddle".

But each to his or her own; I have friends that travel frantically to get somewhere then once they have arrived, can't wait to head back home again... I get exhausted being around them so I choose my traveling partners with CARE!!! Smile
Back to top Go down
bikerboy
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2011-05-12

PostSubject: Re: long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons   long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 16, 2013 9:21 pm

I agree with Meldrew et al, Highways are a necessary evil that have to be used to get to the interesting bits that you actually want to see, unless of course you can take weeks and weeks getting there on the slow roads !
Back to top Go down
Scooterian
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Scooterian

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons   long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 17, 2013 2:44 pm

Winchester, VA to Storrs, CT 450 miles.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3788
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons   long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 18, 2013 9:09 am

Surely it depends what the ride is for; if purely to get from A to B I use the quickest route but if for pleasure the most agreeable.
I also enjoy the speed of the Silverwing. ;-)
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 757
Registration date : 2013-06-27

PostSubject: Re: long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons   long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 19, 2013 5:40 pm

I rode a distance of about 500 km this summer. 12 hours: From Saint John to Florenceville/Bristol up the 107 woods highway from Stanley and back down the Saint John river. I was riding my Honda ACE at the time and my buddy had his 650 Burgman. We took mostly secondary roads. There is one stretch of road that went for about 80 km in the woods; no signage, and it was rough in stretches, broken pavement and potholes the size of galaxies. I began to think of the point of no return that pilots are famous for. I had not thought of gassing up before we hit this stretch, thinking there would be services with gas.
We met 4 vehicles for the entire hour it took us to reach civilisation: the outskirts anyway. I was running on fumes and lagging way behind, conserving every drop. I was envisioning spending the night in the woods if nobody showed up. Finally, we reached Juniper, a small town where the famous Miramichi river starts. This river is well-known world-wide for salmon fishing. I was never happier for filling up than at that little store. It had an antique gas pump in the yard, one grade only.
Not much by way of scenery thru the woods, but the vista does open up from Juniper to Florenceville which is on the mighty Saint John river. Some real pretty country and great biking roads. New Brunswick is famous for its beautiful scenery, and I think the Upper Saint John river valley makes up the best of the best. I was tired at the end, but I thoroughly enjoyed it, except for the part I thought I'd have to spend the night in the woods.
We are already planning for next year, extending our trip from there on to the Quebec or Maine upper reaches.
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons   long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 19, 2013 7:37 pm

In the past and likely in the future my wife and I have ridden some 500 mile days. We try to keep a limit of 350 miles maximum on a touring day and we avoid the interstates because they are devoid of character. I have been on I-40 between Asheville, NC and Newport, TN and will grudgingly admit that I believe this road would be fun on a bike.

We will ride this route next summer to get to a meetup with some other riders and redo the Skyline Drive and Blue Ridge Parkway. http://goo.gl/maps/79lKE This will be a two day ride, and we will spend 5-6 days getting home.

There is a section of the Natchez trace that we rode a few years back that was pretty desolate. We rode for an hour and never saw another vehicle.

500 mile and longer days are not generally as much fun in the heat or rain.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-03

PostSubject: Re: long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons   long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 19, 2013 8:31 pm

Dale, your neighbour's house across the street looks bizarre with that huge bush covering his windows. Maybe Heisenberg is in there cooking meth with Elvis, Janis Joplin, Jim Morrison, and Jimmy Hoffa?
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

PostSubject: Re: long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons   long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 19, 2013 9:20 pm

bigbird wrote:
Dale, your neighbour's house across the street looks bizarre with that huge bush covering his windows. Maybe Heisenberg is in there cooking meth with Elvis, Janis Joplin, Jim Morrison, and Jimmy Hoffa?
Maybe, but given the autos they drive, not likely. On the "staying in context" note, it is really a short ride over to their house.
Back to top Go down
Magoo Triker
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Magoo Triker

Number of posts : 145
Registration date : 2013-08-03

PostSubject: Re: long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons   long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 21, 2013 2:20 am

I did a total of 526 miles in one day this summer.  The Wing is a fine machine as a trike on the road

Magoo Triker
Back to top Go down
sctr199
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
sctr199

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2013-07-29

PostSubject: Re: long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons   long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 21, 2013 8:09 pm

scooterboyz wrote:
What's the further distance any of my fellow members have ridden in a single day and how was it?

I'm actually wanting to see/visit the Grand Canyon on my 02 Swing and would like to get a feel ( other opinions ) for the ride and mechanical risk involved.

thanks in advance
Personally, my longest single day ride was just under 500 miles.  Did lots more than that on my old Helix which was just as comfortable.  Longest trip so far was when I bought my old '02 SW from a friend in Missouri and rode it home to SoCal a few years ago.

BTW, I was stationed in CT for a total of 4 years, thanks to the Navy submarine force.  Don't miss the cold winters, but some great riding there!

Last edited by sctr199 on Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons   long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 22, 2013 11:25 pm

Any body want to ride along?-----Chattanooga to San Diego and back---most southern route===
2600 miles each way,so probably 4 days to get there, San Diego on the border Motel 6---Just turn around and come back...I am traveler, not tourist, been there before.

Purpose, finish up 4 US corners I said I would ride in 2013, done the other 3 already. I try to spend less than $100 a day---fast food/Motel 6 and $30 or so a day for gas. You need bike in good shape/fresh tires/tools---professional quality riding clothes.

I stop every 50 miles to get off---age seems to require pee stops often---take regular meal stops---don't like to screw around.

I will use my Burgman 400@60mpg----ride anywhere from 60 to 75mph----slower =less buffeting.
I change oil in parking lot at the half way point---stay away from bike shops.

Takers? Try 715-894-7857
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons   long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 23, 2013 12:51 am

john grinsel wrote:
Any body want to ride along?-----Chattanooga to San Diego and back---
I change oil in parking lot at the half way point---stay away from bike shops.

Takers?
2 questions:

1) What do you do with the used engine oil and filter in the parking lot?
2) Do I have to ride commando like you do?
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

PostSubject: Re: long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons   long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 23, 2013 11:06 am

john grinsel wrote:
Any body want to ride along?-----Chattanooga to San Diego and back---most southern route===
2600 miles each way,so probably 4 days to get there, San Diego on the border Motel 6---Just turn around and come back...I am traveler, not tourist, been there before.

Most assuredly NOT interested.  I like to ride with folks who are open to the ideas of others and not close minded.  I've never been to San Diego and want to enjoy myself, rather than flog myself.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons   long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 23, 2013 11:55 am

answering questions-----used oil goes in plastic pan, then after new oil put in engine, it is poured back in oil bottles and given to oil dump.

I do wear long underwear under either under my Darien pants (no jeans) or my leather bibs when cold----either pants are not good when hot and then it is jeans andno under wear.

Opened minded I am but do not like south and the dirty bathrooms and low standards period....and I was in Air Force.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons   long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 23, 2013 4:17 pm

john grinsel wrote:
answering questions-----used oil goes in plastic pan, then after new oil put in engine, it is poured back in oil bottles and given to oil dump.
You have room in your bike storage for a plastic pan just to collect used oil?
How many rags do you carry to clean the oil pan afterwards?
And how does the oil get to the oil dump from some random parking lot when you decide to do your oil change?
Being in such a hurry to rack up the miles on your "trips", I hope you don't just dump the oil and leave your mess behind.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons   long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 23, 2013 4:56 pm

I am not in Hurry------pan fits under seat other junk goes in it as I ride, can be throw away. Racking up miles I not my object---already done that----this case 2600 miles should be easy 4 days, 5 if weather goes bad/slippery. 2 qts of WalMart 10-40 fit under seat, too.

Used oil goes back to WalMart. Biggest deal in ride across TX/New Mexico/AZ it can be boring at times. 250 days can be easy, real cold, I like to quit at 400----since I ride every day, use bike/scooter for everything/transportation----another day of going someplace can be fun. Buffeting biggest pain---hold speed down to be more comfortable----getting new bike each year and right now stuck with 2---means I can ride trouble free and let warranty pay for any stuff that breaks----big expense on rubber band drive scooter is replacement belts and other drive line parts--and tires!!
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons   long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 23, 2013 5:48 pm

What exactly is the point of changing the oil in between the recommended oil change mileage when you annually change your bike or scooter anyway. The engine isn't going to go into meltdown because you go 4 or 5000 miles on the same oil and filter, so why bother doing in between. A dealer isn't going to give you any more for the scooter at trade in time.

Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons   long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 23, 2013 8:45 pm

Just the way I have been doing it and it has worked for the last million miles plus. so why should I change---My 4 Helix had small oil capacity of 900cc? Burgman 400 at 1200cc---oil works hard, but I know it doesn't wear out----but I drain some real crud out at my normal 2,000 mile drain intervals.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

PostSubject: Re: long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons   long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 23, 2013 9:19 pm

Meldrew wrote:
What exactly is the point of changing the oil in between the recommended oil change mileage when you annually change your bike or scooter anyway. The engine isn't going to go into meltdown because you go 4 or 5000 miles on the same oil and filter, so why bother doing in between. A dealer isn't going to give you any more for the scooter at trade in time.
My sentiments too. If I am close to needing an oil change prior to a big ride (multi-day affair), then I change it BEFORE the trip. If necessary, change again upon return. I take one pint of oil with me, and never use it... Honda says 7K will work for oil changes so I can't see ever needing a mid tour oil change! Unless I make a trip to Alaska or so; in which case I will pay Honda to change it!!! Would probably need a tire anyway in that case.

But each to his or her own.
Back to top Go down
Jinglebob
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Jinglebob

Number of posts : 297
Registration date : 2009-07-18

PostSubject: Re: long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons   long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 03, 2014 1:15 am

Two summers ago, I went 1900 miles from northern California into central Oregon and Washington.  Longest day was about 326 miles.  I tend to avoid long distance daily runs, because I like going along comfortably and stopping to see and do things along the way.  I also had one layover day in the Dalles, Oregon, so I could do my laundry and kick back and relax a bit.  I did not make hotel/motel reservations anywhere along the line and had no difficulties finding lodging, even in August.  Of the 1900 miles, I estimate about 200 miles or so was on Interstate freeway.  That is not my favorite mode of travel on any machine, but sometimes it is necessary so you can "connect the dots" when you don't know the local back roads or when you need to make time.  The Silverwing was fitted with a 48L Givi box and I also had a seat bag on the passenger seat behind me.  The bike performed admirably, with no issues whatsoever, and it averaged about 50 mpg.  It was a great trip.  Next year, I'd like to go all the way up into British Columbia or over into Colorado, Montana and Wyoming...but it costs a bit of money, so for new, I'm just in the planning and saving stage...I like riding motorcycles and still have a VStar 650 for local rambling, but I really don't think you can go wrong with a SWing, Burgman 400/650 or the like for touring AND local runs.

long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons SAM_1026600x450
Back to top Go down
bigtrain
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
bigtrain

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2013-11-11

PostSubject: Re: long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons   long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 03, 2014 2:39 pm

I can never ever see going back to shifting something again...of course I'm inherently lazy!
Back to top Go down
dickie
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
dickie

Number of posts : 238

PostSubject: Re: long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons   long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 03, 2014 5:47 pm

Summer of 2012 after retirement we went riding for 74 days. Didn't give a hoot how many miles we went each day. Stayed on all the secondary roads that we possibly could and when we came upon something interesting we stopped.
To us it has become the interesting places and people you meet along the way. There is still the anticipation of what's over the next hill. The roads less traveled.
Interstates sometimes must be taken if time is of essence. We've traveled many of them and probably more is in the future. Still they are not our preferred roads.
Our longest day two up is right around 800 miles and was accomplished in the early 80's on a KZ1300. This past summer I did 600+ miles on the swing riding solo (in the rain) for two days straight on interstates. Not nearly as enjoyable a 2 up on back roads just tooling around and enjoying God's creations.
We have found that if we go much further than 250-300 miles a day then we miss a lot of what's along the way. And to us this is what makes memories. And after being married 43+ years and riding motorcycles all this time we can share a bunch of memories together. (I courted Patty on a 1968 BSA 441 Victor).
So I guess my comment on the title of this topic "Long distance rides....pros and cons" would be:
Pros-You get to see a lot of the country and meet some very nice and interesting people.
Cons-Can't think of any.....and remember, the weather is just part of the experience.
God Bless.........Dick
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons   long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 03, 2014 7:27 pm

Somebody mentioned cost of trips-----using motel 6 and fast food costs can easily run $100 a day with gas, this year 2014, may do more camping and instant oatmeal breakfasts and own coffee in the AM.Gas have spent as much as $30 a day....with scooter!

Miles in day, this being my 61st year of doing this----250 slow ideal, 3-400 fine, 500 plus a day can be boring and miserable. I make no plans, get there when I do and always find someplace to sleep.

Somebody mentioned 441 Victor....not the world's most reliable!
Back to top Go down
dickie
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
dickie

Number of posts : 238

PostSubject: Re: long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons   long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 04, 2014 5:28 pm

John, you hit the money part right on. We kept good records on our trip and I will share this with others.
Motel-41 nights, most of these were free due to Choice Hotels point system from job travels.
Camped-20 nights
Stayed w/family along the way-13 nights
Average spent per day-$99.22
Total spent for 74 days-$7,342.28
Total miles-11,395
Miles per day average-153
2 oil changes at Honda dealers
Coldest Temp-35-36 degrees on Mt St Helens
Hottest Temps-111-112 Southwest
Average mpg 38.01 pulling a trailer w/89 Gold Wing-gentle riding on secondary roads
Lowest altitude -1ft
Highest altitude 11,332 ft.

Due to fixed income on retirement, a trip like this will probably never happen again for us, and will probably limit others also. I believe you can do it cheaper with camping (tent) and watching food costs.

Had we not done it right after retirement then we probably would have procrastinated and the trip would have been stored in the "some day" bank of things we would like to do. It also allowed us to complete riding to from our house to all lower 48 states which was a goal of ours.

Those who have the finances, freedom and health to travel at will are blessed indeed. Remember to make a positive impression on those you meet along the way.

Yes, the 441 BSA Victor was not best known for it's reliability. The furthest trip made on it was from Warrenton, VA to Elmira, NY. And parts vibrated loose and fell off. That was part of the adventure with the big thumper. I also was working for a BSA dealer so was used to wrenching on the old girl which helped. And as a side note, the GW is gone and I have gone back to my roots with an 09 Triumph Bonneville to complement the 03 SW. The newer Bonnies are simple, light, along with reliability and are a hoot to tool along on. Time will tell with this one.

Enjoy the ride and stay safe...

God Bless....Richard

Back to top Go down
lalee
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 289
Registration date : 2013-11-09

PostSubject: Re: long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons   long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 05, 2014 3:53 am

When I am touring, I usually do 300 a day and set and break camp. Just depends. My longest day was 700 miles driving though Arizona, New Mexico and into Texas. Speed limit east of El Paso was 85 miles an hour.

I tour to sight see so I want to see. Often times, I will camp in a spot and stay for a day or two and check out the surroundings and then move on afterwards. When riding two up, I use campgrounds, when I am riding solo, I look for opportunities and use my cot tent. I belong to a Goldwing forum and also the Goldwing Road Riders Association and they publish a annual book of members willing to host traveling members. I have met many nice folks on my travels.

I cook my own food, make my own coffee because I can, cuz I want to and it is often cheaper and better food. When I rise in the morning, I make breakfast, have coffee and fill my thermos and make a sandwich for lunch.

Often times I will check at the meat department of the grocery store and see if they have dry ice for sale. If they do, I will buy a little dry ice and a pint of ice cream and enjoy an after dinner ice cream treat. (with the dry ice, you have to set it on the table to let if warm up before you can stick a spoon in it.)

That is my story... and I am looking forward to the spring when I can leave here and enjoy some week long camping trips.

Back to top Go down
lalee
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons   long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 05, 2014 4:12 am

Here is my camp site at Alta Lake, in the north Cascades.  All of this gear was hauled on the motorcycle and trailer.  Yes, even the inflatable kayak....

long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons Camping_zps8617cf52

Here I am cooking some breakfast for some of my camp buddies.

long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons Larrycookinghamsteaks

Yea, the bike gets loaded down a little, but hey, I like bringing the kitchen sink.

long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons Cannonbeachbike
Back to top Go down
lalee
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons   long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 05, 2014 4:27 am

I won't post about my trip the southern California over the holidays, because it was a camping trip in the van, pulling my trailer with the Silverwing on the back.  We used the bike to visit different areas, but it was a camping trip.  So here are some pictures.

long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons 101COAST

long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons Cannonbeach2

long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons Oregoncoast3

long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons CookinglarryandKarla

Back to top Go down
Jinglebob
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Jinglebob

Number of posts : 297
Registration date : 2009-07-18

PostSubject: Re: long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons   long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 05, 2014 6:05 am

Nice...great photos and great times...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons   long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

long distance rides-------------Pros and Cons
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next