Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Almost a barn find I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Almost a barn find I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 6:43 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Almost a barn find I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 6:41 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Almost a barn find I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 6:35 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Almost a barn find I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 6:28 am

» Silver Wing for sale - UK
Almost a barn find I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Today at 5:15 am

» LF extended back rest
Almost a barn find I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Yesterday at 8:54 pm

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Almost a barn find I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 12:54 pm

» Drive belt prices
Almost a barn find I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 5:26 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Almost a barn find I_icon_minitimeby landisr Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:15 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Almost a barn find

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
genius149
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2022-05-16

Almost a barn find Empty
PostSubject: Almost a barn find   Almost a barn find I_icon_minitimeMon May 16, 2022 6:27 pm

Hello all.
After riding a couple of Japanese 1989 PC800 Pacific Coasts for a few years, then taking a break from riding due to a combination of finances and a frozen shoulder, I'm back in the saddle on a 2002 non-ABS Silverwing. It had been bought by its previous owner in 2004 with only 2600 miles on it and he had just put it in the corner of his heated garage, covered it and forgotten about it.

Moving house meant that he had to sell the majority of his collection so I got lucky with the Swing. I say lucky, he said he'd put a brand new battery on it but I wasn't so sure as it wasn't holding a charge. Then for the past fortnight I've not been able to start it. Try as I might to clean the starter switch (I had it all apart), seeing if I could do anything with the side stand switch (I couldn't), it took me a while to find the answer but found it I did.

Two clicks on the rear brake! This should be a sticky for noobs like me. I was kicking myself but I'm pleased I can get past the stuck traffic tomorrow morning. I also bought a brand new battery so now I've got a spare - I may swap them every few months to keep them both alive and well and to test if the one with the bike is okay or not.

I ought to add that the first ride I had on it was to the MOT station for its first ever test. It sailed through and the tester was quite impressed. It's not quite immaculate as it was an insurance write off originally but probably stolen/recovered. Either way, it is now well and truly in my ownership and I'm looking forward to commuting during the summer and hopefully not having to pop in here too often.

Oh yeah, I've taken the front caliper off and given the pistons a bit of a clean up and work out but I need to do the rear and probably a full seal/piston replacement job.

Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 929
Registration date : 2010-09-15

Almost a barn find Empty
PostSubject: Re: Almost a barn find   Almost a barn find I_icon_minitimeTue May 17, 2022 1:14 pm

Welcome aboard the board genius! If you're inclined to do your own maintenance, I strongly advise investing in a Factory Service Manual or use the site's "Search" button to locate a digital source for one.
Back to top Go down
genius149
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Almost a barn find Empty
PostSubject: Re: Almost a barn find   Almost a barn find I_icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2022 5:20 pm

Thanks.  I don't really do anything other than the basics but maybe one day I'll invest in one.  For those odd jobs and basic servicing, I imagine it's all pretty straight-forward once you've taken the tupperware off.  Hopefully I won't need to do that too often.
Back to top Go down
Terry Smith
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Terry Smith

Number of posts : 388
Registration date : 2020-03-11

Almost a barn find Empty
PostSubject: Re: Almost a barn find   Almost a barn find I_icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2022 6:47 pm

If you need a service manual, feel free to download one from this link. I found it on the Silverwing owner's Facebook page.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pyldyvssqlyg8q4/Silverwing%202002-2013.pdf?dl=0
Back to top Go down
genius149
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Almost a barn find Empty
PostSubject: Re: Almost a barn find   Almost a barn find I_icon_minitimeSun May 29, 2022 1:07 pm

Terry Smith wrote:
If you need a service manual, feel free to download one from this link. I found it on the Silverwing owner's Facebook page.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pyldyvssqlyg8q4/Silverwing%202002-2013.pdf?dl=0

Thanks Terry. I've just downloaded it and I'm hoping that I won't need to read it too often but I will give it some basic servicing in the next few weeks so it will be useful for that purpose alone.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Almost a barn find Empty
PostSubject: Re: Almost a barn find   Almost a barn find I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Almost a barn find
Page 1 of 1