Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New to Me Swing
o.e.m belt I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Today at 9:39 pm

» LF extended back rest
o.e.m belt I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 8:42 pm

» I said Farewell...
o.e.m belt I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Yesterday at 7:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
o.e.m belt I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 9:05 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
o.e.m belt I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:28 pm

» Drive belt prices
o.e.m belt I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
o.e.m belt I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
o.e.m belt I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
o.e.m belt I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
o.e.m belt I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

o.e.m belt

Go down 
+4
Loosemarbles
GHM-PM
zrx212
gustav
8 posters
AuthorMessage
gustav
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 190
Registration date : 2019-04-14

o.e.m belt Empty
PostSubject: o.e.m belt   o.e.m belt I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2022 9:34 pm

Was compiling a list of parts to order for bikes today. Noticed oem drive belt for SilverWing has more than doubled in price, Partzilla, Cheap Cycle Parts. Holy Cow! Paul
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 516
Registration date : 2020-12-27

o.e.m belt Empty
PostSubject: Re: o.e.m belt   o.e.m belt I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2022 10:41 pm

Those places are not cheap IMO, I only use Ron Ayers, cheapest prices I've found in the US, never had a issue, Honda oem belt is $125.12 , any order over $129 is free shipping !!

https://www.ronayers.com/
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2555
Registration date : 2012-05-17

o.e.m belt Empty
PostSubject: Re: o.e.m belt   o.e.m belt I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2022 11:26 am

Decent prices, I will bookmark this site. Interesting to note the CVT belt for the Forza is 25 dollars USD more than the one for the Silverwing. Strange...
Back to top Go down
gustav
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 190
Registration date : 2019-04-14

o.e.m belt Empty
PostSubject: Re: o.e.m belt   o.e.m belt I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2022 11:50 am

Ron Ayers is 20$ cheaper. Thanks for the tip! Paul
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

o.e.m belt Empty
PostSubject: Re: o.e.m belt   o.e.m belt I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2022 7:04 pm

BTW you can contact Ron Ayers with email link on web page to check parts availability, I made a few large orders early this year and already used the front caliper seals, etc.

https://www.silverwing600.com/t12532-squirrel-away-parts-good-bad-idea-opinions
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1564
Registration date : 2016-10-01

o.e.m belt Empty
PostSubject: Re: o.e.m belt   o.e.m belt I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2022 7:26 pm

If the OEM belt is still the Mitsuboshi one, they are just under £90 sterling over here. That's about £20 more than I paid not very long ago.
Back to top Go down
Mottza
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Mottza

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2021-07-21

o.e.m belt Empty
PostSubject: Re: o.e.m belt   o.e.m belt I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 01, 2022 2:59 pm

Not cheap these days. I had mine done the other week. Much smoother, but still has the characterful sealion noise.
Back to top Go down
Jeffmaira
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2021-11-06

o.e.m belt Empty
PostSubject: Re: o.e.m belt   o.e.m belt I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2022 8:54 pm

@mottza

may i ask what was the cost of replacing the drive belt?
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

o.e.m belt Empty
PostSubject: Re: o.e.m belt   o.e.m belt I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2022 9:17 pm

Most of us here do our own service and maintenance.* Experience has shown that dealer service here in the US borders on sheer incompetence.

It is simple enough and only requires a few basic tools. And the cost of a Factory Service Manual (FSM) is peanuts compared to what it’s going to cost to have a dealer’s Denny Dickfingers work on your scoot. “I always wanted t’ fix me one a’ them scooter things.”

Ebay usually has FSM’s available.

When in doubt ask a question. We’re all friendly and helpful here.

*Well, Meldrew excepted.

Last edited by Cosmic_Jumper on Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Jeffmaira
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2021-11-06

o.e.m belt Empty
PostSubject: Re: o.e.m belt   o.e.m belt I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2022 9:24 pm

yea....watched a couple videos...looked quite involved to change the rear tire and drive belt.
i'm not very "mechanical" either
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4178
Registration date : 2010-11-16

o.e.m belt Empty
PostSubject: Re: o.e.m belt   o.e.m belt I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 12, 2022 8:06 am

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
Most of us here do our own service and maintenance. Experience has shown that dealer service borders on incompetence.

It only requires a few basic tools, and the cost of a Factory Service Manual (FSM) is peanuts compared to what it’s going to cost to have a dealer’s Denny Dickfingers work on your scoot. “I always wanted t’ fix me one a’ them scooter things.”

Ebay usually has FSM’s available.

That's rather a broad statement Timothy, I can't be the only one who has limited interest in home maintenance, and enjoys riding more than wrenching.

Although at belt change time it's more convenient to let a dealership do the job. Over here changing scooter belts is as routine as servicing to mechanics in motorcycle dealerships. It also means I know the belts service life and don't clutter up valuable under seat storage with spare belts and home made belt changing tools.

As for that FSM, I bought one for my Silver Wing from a US seller more on impulse than necessity. I'd say it was more useful helping out home maintenance types on here that didn't have their own FSM than anything else.

I'm also of the opinion that for every competent home mechanic, there's more of the “I do me own maintenance” chaps who are inept bodgers.

🔧🔨

*Admin Edit: I’ve amended my post.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2555
Registration date : 2012-05-17

o.e.m belt Empty
PostSubject: Re: o.e.m belt   o.e.m belt I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 12, 2022 11:35 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dq4Y2rEJdSw

I used this video to help with my belt/slider change. A friend helped me and luckily he had the variator tool. My opinion is it's a job that can be done by the individual, but I would not say it is particularly easy. Figure a couple of hours to do the job right unless you have done several (I haven't). My 2015 Forza needs a belt change which I will do in May. Based on the video it is MUCH easier than the Silver Wing. And doesn't require special tools. Will keep you posted.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

o.e.m belt Empty
PostSubject: Re: o.e.m belt   o.e.m belt I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2022 6:09 am

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
Most of us here do our own service and maintenance.*

*Well, Meldrew excepted.

I'm not that useless Timothy, I donned overalls and a pair of vinyl gloves to change the oil and filter on my Forza a couple of weeks ago.

Nice 12mm steel drain plug, easy to access side mounted oil filter which is the same type as the Silver Wing, fresh fully sythetic Motul 10w30 MB oil, and only 1400 ml of used oil to dispose of responsibly. I got to play with a torque wrench as well.

I can multi task too, I rest the Oil Change Indicator by holding in a couple of Mode switches and switching on the ignition.

That's progress compared to my first maxi scooter the venerable Honda CN250 Helix, back then I had to poke a screwdriver into the red Oil Change Indicator slot on the dash to reset it back to white.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

o.e.m belt Empty
PostSubject: Re: o.e.m belt   o.e.m belt I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2022 7:22 am

When I bought my SW I figured I was getting a bit old to grovel around on my garage floor so decided to use my nearest dealer to do my maintenance etc.

First off he sheared the oil drain plug. When I eventually got my bike back I noticed a water leak near the oil filter. When I bought my new front wheel, he'd put the tyre on the wrong way round.

That was enough for me. I fixed the water leak myself. I reckon I'm a more adept mechanic than he because I have the time to study the problem, Oh and I have this forum for guidance. Just saying....
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

o.e.m belt Empty
PostSubject: Re: o.e.m belt   o.e.m belt I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2022 8:29 am

As you're obviously into the dirt under the fingernails stuff, do you have the all important Honda Silver Wing FSM for reference too?
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

o.e.m belt Empty
PostSubject: Re: o.e.m belt   o.e.m belt I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2022 2:26 pm

Don't like to get into a bandwidth consuming discussion  o.e.m belt 1f634 . But having been a lifelong certified mechanic in several doctrines, worked in all capacities from entry level to manager/owner, I have a few comments on the DIY or Dealer debate.

1. You should expect/demmand near perfect results from a dealer or professional shop, KIM that most mere mortals/consumers basically only know wich end of the vehicle goes down the road first and where to add fuel (there's even new tech. to assist with that Shocked ), IOW they don't know enough to determine if repairs where done correctly or at all !! so it's strickly a trust relationship. Nowdays IMO, a very misplaced trust Sad

2. Replacing the drive belt should be a fairly simple tastk for "ANY REAL MECHANIC", otherwise it should only be done by the Avid/experienced diy'er, IOW both would know how/wich tools to use and capable of researching or sourcing the required tech data, how to videos,etc., and discerning what is good or bad info. the video referenced above has both Shocked
Is not a job for a person that has to constantly post questions like "silverwing 600 variator bolt torque" that would get almost instant (.38 sec) results on a google search or has to go buy his 1st torque wrench Rolling Eyes, see # 1.

3. In my case/fortunately, I've only taken my vehicles to a dealer shop for warranty work, other shops, for car tire changes/alignment and a few fender benders Embarassed . All other work I DIY.

4. I've have never had a "Perfect" experience with a dealer shop, but quite a few with other shops.
Yes, I'm more critical than most, but "Lowering My Expectations" is not in my mechanic DNA !! Smile

5. Do your research on dealer shops, most are $$$ grab, not all thumbs up
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

o.e.m belt Empty
PostSubject: Re: o.e.m belt   o.e.m belt I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2022 4:27 pm

Can't argue with that! Of course I've used dealers when buying a new car because it's under warranty etc. I wouldn't even think of trying to do anything on a vehicle under warranty.

I bought my tired, poor old beloved SW from a girl who let me test ride it before I bought it. There was hardly any air in the front tyre!

Besides, I enjoy doing my own work and it's been a lot easier since I got the Service Manual. That manual is a good study. I wasted a lot of this forums' 'server space' when I first joined it by asking stupid questions. Sometimes I just need confirmation or another opinion before I carry out any work.

It gives me a warm feeling cat

I'm not qualified in any respect but I do know that there is a difference between Theory and Practice.

Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

o.e.m belt Empty
PostSubject: Re: o.e.m belt   o.e.m belt I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2022 5:13 pm

" That manual is a good study. I wasted a lot of this forums' 'server space' when I first joined it by asking stupid questions. Sometimes I just need confirmation or another opinion before I carry out any work. "

I was been kinda facetious/sarcastic just to demonstrate a point, in Aviation, a few well used/famous phrases "There's no stu##d questions, the only stu##d question is the one you don't ask" and "Trust, but verify", the last one mostly covers checking work done by another or insuring your tech. data or procedure is correct. On vehicles with wheels on the ground, most failures will just leave you stranded, on those that float or fly is very different.

We have a lot of latitude on the way we work on wheeled vehicles, someone may have a better/easier way of doing a procedure than the manufacturer, that's trying to sell you a $$$ tool, etc. So it's not a bad idea to ask, but if they ask what the "710' cap is Shocked , you start to wonder about their abilities. scratch
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

o.e.m belt Empty
PostSubject: Re: o.e.m belt   o.e.m belt I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2022 6:11 pm

Your point is valid. "There's no stu##d questions, the only stu##d question is the one you don't ask"

I'm a keen aviation buff but I'm sure we've all read a lot of stories, or seen a documentary of tragedy as a result of not "asking the question".

You're never too old to learn?

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

o.e.m belt Empty
PostSubject: Re: o.e.m belt   o.e.m belt I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

o.e.m belt
Page 1 of 1