Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Belt slap gone....no new belt OR J.Costa I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 9:09 am

» Drive belt prices
Belt slap gone....no new belt OR J.Costa I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 5:26 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Belt slap gone....no new belt OR J.Costa I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Belt slap gone....no new belt OR J.Costa I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 7:27 pm

» New to Me Swing
Belt slap gone....no new belt OR J.Costa I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» LF extended back rest
Belt slap gone....no new belt OR J.Costa I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Yesterday at 4:42 pm

» I said Farewell...
Belt slap gone....no new belt OR J.Costa I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Belt slap gone....no new belt OR J.Costa I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:05 am

» Rear shock longevity
Belt slap gone....no new belt OR J.Costa I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Belt slap gone....no new belt OR J.Costa I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Belt slap gone....no new belt OR J.Costa

Go down 
+6
JeffR
MikeO
buddy19520
honda_silver
celloman99
jdeereanton
10 posters
AuthorMessage

Belt slap gone....no new belt OR J.Costa Empty
PostSubject: Belt slap gone....no new belt OR J.Costa   Belt slap gone....no new belt OR J.Costa I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 3:48 am

At 4000 miles I had a lot of belt slap, and a shuddering vibration when I'd take off.

I just installed 26 gram Malossi rollers and "yellow" clutch springs, but I don't think that's what solved the belt slap. I think the fact that I just took stuff apart and cleaned it up explains it.

The belt looked brand new, so there certainly wasn't any reason to replace it.

If you have belt slap or vibration or other strange goings-on in there, and you don't think you have enough miles to justify replacing parts, try cleaning them instead. Mineral spirits on a rag works well to get rid of the rubber and clutch dust.

It's smooth as silk now! Just like new.
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Belt slap gone....no new belt OR J.Costa   Belt slap gone....no new belt OR J.Costa I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 3:40 pm

Mickey,

Congrats on the simple fix.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
celloman99
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2010-03-04

PostSubject: Re: Belt slap gone....no new belt OR J.Costa   Belt slap gone....no new belt OR J.Costa I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 7:38 pm

Hello all,
My name is Pete and I'm about to own a new 2009 Silver Wing. It'll join my Bmw K1200RS in the garage. I have a question about wind deflector strips that are available for the sides of the Yamaha Majesty 400, but I haven't found them yet for the Silver Wing 600. Does anyone know if such a product exists for the Honda?
Waiting to hear? Thanks for any help with this search!

Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Belt slap gone....no new belt OR J.Costa   Belt slap gone....no new belt OR J.Costa I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 7:56 pm

celloman99 wrote:
I'm about to own a new 2009 Silver Wing. It'll join my Bmw K1200RS in the garage.

Welcome.

celloman99 wrote:
I have a question about wind deflector strips that are
available for the sides of the Yamaha Majesty 400, but I haven't found
them yet for the Silver Wing 600. Does anyone know if such a product
exists for the Honda?

Something like this http://www.bakerbuilt.com/bbairwings/hswaw.html ?
Back to top Go down
celloman99
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Belt slap gone....no new belt OR J.Costa   Belt slap gone....no new belt OR J.Costa I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 9:48 pm

The side wind deflectors I had in mind are installed with two sided tape and screws if desired. They fit the edging on either side of the upper "foot compartment" area. The Goldwing "wind deflectors" are something that is useful, but not what I had in mind. Anymore ideas from anyone?
Pete-
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

PostSubject: Re: Belt slap gone....no new belt OR J.Costa   Belt slap gone....no new belt OR J.Costa I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 11:29 pm

celloman99 wrote:
The side wind deflectors I had in mind are installed with two sided tape and screws if desired. They fit the edging on either side of the upper "foot compartment" area. The Goldwing "wind deflectors" are something that is useful, but not what I had in mind.

http://www.doble.co.uk/content/pdfs/Accessories/silverwing.pdf
Page 2
Item 10
Leg Deflector Set

Is that what you are looking for??
Back to top Go down
celloman99
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Belt slap gone....no new belt OR J.Costa   Belt slap gone....no new belt OR J.Costa I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 11:47 pm

The LEG DEFLECTOR SET is exactly what I'm looking for! Thank you! Now, getting it will be another matter perhaps? Got to ask my dealer if he can get it for me? Otherwise I'll have to get it directly from HONDA UK I presume?

Pete
Back to top Go down
buddy19520
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
buddy19520

Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2010-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Belt slap gone....no new belt OR J.Costa   Belt slap gone....no new belt OR J.Costa I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 05, 2010 4:45 pm

celloman99 wrote:
Hello all,
My name is Pete and I'm about to own a new 2009 Silver Wing. It'll join my Bmw K1200RS in the garage. I have a question about wind deflector strips that are available for the sides of the Yamaha Majesty 400, but I haven't found them yet for the Silver Wing 600. Does anyone know if such a product exists for the Honda?

Welcome to the board, Pete.

Either on this site, or more likely on the www.silverwing.org site there is a lengthy write-up by Bernardo about his preference for the stock windshield with the Laminar Lip and Laminar Ears. Try googling Laminar Lip and you should find what you are looking for. Many people over 5'8" like to replace the windshield.

Congrates on the new bike!
Back to top Go down
celloman99
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Belt slap gone....no new belt OR J.Costa   Belt slap gone....no new belt OR J.Costa I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 05, 2010 8:45 pm

Thanks for the welcome on board and congratulations. I appreciate this very much. It shows me that people actually do respond on the site! Actually the item I was asking about is called a LEG DEFLECTOR and I found it available on the HONDA.CO.UK site. Lots of stuff available there, but now, I have to figure out how to order it from them. That sight is a bit vague? Oh well?

Take care,
Pete

Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3794
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Belt slap gone....no new belt OR J.Costa   Belt slap gone....no new belt OR J.Costa I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 06, 2010 3:30 am

It might be easier from here:

http://www.hondaofbournemouth.co.uk/results.aspx/332/4641/Silverwing_600_Leg_Deflector_Set

or ask your dealer - mine got mine for me.
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Belt slap gone....no new belt OR J.Costa   Belt slap gone....no new belt OR J.Costa I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 06, 2010 9:57 am

Pete,

Welcome to the site and hope you enjoy it. Here is the post by Bernardo about the Laminar Lip. He is very good about posting on this site and the silverwing.org site when he writes things up.

https://www.silverwing600.com/silver-wing-accessories-modifications-f5/laminar-lip-or-tall-screen-t76.htm?highlight=laminar+lip

I had one on my Majesty, with the Givi screen, and really liked it. Good luck on the leg deflectors.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995

PostSubject: Re: Belt slap gone....no new belt OR J.Costa   Belt slap gone....no new belt OR J.Costa I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 06, 2010 11:20 am

I feel like I want to start a thread about the laminar lip to see if i get more references to the leg deflectors.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
john123
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
john123

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2010-02-21

PostSubject: Wind deflector   Belt slap gone....no new belt OR J.Costa I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 09, 2010 2:42 am

honda_silver wrote:
celloman99 wrote:
I'm about to own a new 2009 Silver Wing. It'll join my Bmw K1200RS in the garage.

Welcome.
Here you go. Check out Three Brothers PERFORMANCE LEG DEFLECTORS

celloman99 wrote:
I have a question about wind deflector strips that are
available for the sides of the Yamaha Majesty 400, but I haven't found
them yet for the Silver Wing 600. Does anyone know if such a product
exists for the Honda?

Something like this http://www.bakerbuilt.com/bbairwings/hswaw.html ?
Back to top Go down
john123
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
john123

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2010-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Belt slap gone....no new belt OR J.Costa   Belt slap gone....no new belt OR J.Costa I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 09, 2010 2:50 am

Let me try it this way. I have installed on my S/W some that are great. They are from Three Brothers Performance leg air deflectors. They are made out of a hard yet flexable rubber and would help if you ever were to happen to drop the bike on its side.
Good luck
Back to top Go down
lee
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2010-03-23

PostSubject: Re: Belt slap gone....no new belt OR J.Costa   Belt slap gone....no new belt OR J.Costa I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 3:01 pm

celloman99 wrote:
Hello all,

try www.davidsilverspares.co.uk
Back to top Go down
masscoot
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
masscoot

Number of posts : 438
Registration date : 2009-03-24

PostSubject: Re: Belt slap gone....no new belt OR J.Costa   Belt slap gone....no new belt OR J.Costa I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 3:37 pm

Sorry to say that Three Brothers Performance is no longer. They had a few great products and their prices were great. I laid my bike down last fall and the 3 Bro's deflectors actually saved the bike from a lot more "rash" than without or with the plastic (Honda) ones. There is a thread here (I think) about home made ones, search here or at the other SW site.
Back to top Go down
lee
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2010-03-23

PostSubject: Re: Belt slap gone....no new belt OR J.Costa   Belt slap gone....no new belt OR J.Costa I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 4:58 pm

www.davidsilverspares.co.uk sells the leg deflector set they will post worldwide
Back to top Go down
celloman99
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Belt slap gone....no new belt OR J.Costa   Belt slap gone....no new belt OR J.Costa I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 28, 2010 12:00 am

Has anyone installed a 12 volt accessory outlet in the left glove box of their SW? If so, is the necessary patch wires already inside the front of the bodywork?
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

PostSubject: Re: Belt slap gone....no new belt OR J.Costa   Belt slap gone....no new belt OR J.Costa I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 28, 2010 12:47 am

celloman99 wrote:
Has anyone installed a 12 volt accessory outlet in the left glove box of their SW? If so, is the necessary patch wires already inside the front of the bodywork?

If you SWing is from the USA then there is no wiring. I ran my own wire ... I did not want to risk potential damage to existing wiring. http://silverwing.org/cgi-bin/topic_show.pl?pid=12960#pid12960
Back to top Go down
dickie
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
dickie

Number of posts : 238

PostSubject: Re: Belt slap gone....no new belt OR J.Costa   Belt slap gone....no new belt OR J.Costa I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 01, 2010 9:43 pm

Wow, this thread has gone from belt slap to leg deflectors to accessary outlets. If I may I'm going to head it back to "belt slap".
With just over 7000 miles on my 03 and reading about cleaning the variator I decided to go ahead and take a look. I really wanted to clean the filter anyway.
Following JeffR's fantistac instructions it was a snap to accomplish. I was surprised at how much belt residue was in the case and around the rollers. Cleaned it all up and assembled. There was much evidence of belt slap on the cover but the belt looked fine. I did put a bit of grease on the two orings at the clutch prior to installing the cover which I haven't seen mentioned before. This is shown in the clutch repair section of the manual. Changed the final drive oil while the cover was off which makes it easier to accomplish this task.
Just want to say thanks to all who contribute ideas pertaining to these scooters.
Dick
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Belt slap gone....no new belt OR J.Costa   Belt slap gone....no new belt OR J.Costa I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 01, 2010 10:09 pm

Dick,

I'm glad the Pictorial helped you out. But you don't really need to wait to change your Final Drive Oil since you can drain your Final Drive Oil without removing anything. I have a Pictorial on that too. You just need a 12 mm open end wrench. But I'm glad everything worked out for you. Now...back to outlets and leg deflectors. Belt slap gone....no new belt OR J.Costa Icon_cheers
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
dickie
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
dickie

Number of posts : 238

PostSubject: Re: Belt slap gone....no new belt OR J.Costa   Belt slap gone....no new belt OR J.Costa I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 02, 2010 4:17 pm

Roger That!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Belt slap gone....no new belt OR J.Costa   Belt slap gone....no new belt OR J.Costa I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Belt slap gone....no new belt OR J.Costa
Page 1 of 1