Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» checking the oil
Squirrel Away Parts, Good/Bad Idea, Opinions ? I_icon_minitimeby COMick Today at 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
Squirrel Away Parts, Good/Bad Idea, Opinions ? I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Squirrel Away Parts, Good/Bad Idea, Opinions ? I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
Squirrel Away Parts, Good/Bad Idea, Opinions ? I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Squirrel Away Parts, Good/Bad Idea, Opinions ? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Squirrel Away Parts, Good/Bad Idea, Opinions ? I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Squirrel Away Parts, Good/Bad Idea, Opinions ? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Squirrel Away Parts, Good/Bad Idea, Opinions ? I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Squirrel Away Parts, Good/Bad Idea, Opinions ? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Squirrel Away Parts, Good/Bad Idea, Opinions ? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Squirrel Away Parts, Good/Bad Idea, Opinions ?

Go down 
+4
andyman
MUCHoldERwingguy
Mech 1 twa
zrx212
8 posters
AuthorMessage
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 519
Registration date : 2020-12-26

Squirrel Away Parts, Good/Bad Idea, Opinions ? Empty
PostSubject: Squirrel Away Parts, Good/Bad Idea, Opinions ?   Squirrel Away Parts, Good/Bad Idea, Opinions ? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2022 7:10 pm

Admittedly I've been a spare parts hoarder most of my life, not in general stuff, mostly specific to motorcycles I've owned, that I'm fairly certain I will keep for a while, specially if the bike was a limited production and/or was discontinued, kinda like my previous bikes/scooters and now the SW. Usually what is known to fail/wear, what normally get dinged in a side drop, etc., etc., etc.  They are mostly used/serviceable, some new.

Finding good condition, used serviceable, cheap parts for the SW in the US is not very easy, ebay is really a crapshoot, mostly overpriced crap. But why buy used when OEM is relatively cheap in the US scratch , I replaced 80% of my body plastics with "New Oem" cost was very similar to repair/paint my scratched parts, similar wait, just bolt on, no brainer cheers

In the US in general there's a 10yr rule for retail vehicles, where they have to provide spare parts for a vehicle after it's discontnued. Well there's a lot of gray areas, in what is usually considered a pleasure use vehicle in the US, like a motorcycles. IAC SW's time is up.

So with the knowledge(for now Rolling Eyes ) that the SW is a keeper and nothing is sparking my interest(The new MP3 500 is cool, but waiting on lottery to buy it) and looking at price increases, supply chain, "new abnormal Rolling Eyes "
etc. I decided to go all in and purchase my own stash of "Squirrel Away Parts ", got everything to essentially, zero time the cvt, engine gaskets, etc., etc., etc. Is it smart, who knows scratch  In the past I've been able to sell or negotiate parts with bike$$, when selling, was the case on last bike and 2 scooters thumbs up

Here's the pic of most of the parts, expensive?, not really, if you compare to similar parts I've purchased for my Burgman 400 wich are relatively smaller, less durable and twice the cost Shocked , but if you average both as "Scooter Expenses" it does not look as bad scratch Wink

Squirrel Away Parts, Good/Bad Idea, Opinions ? Sw15012
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Squirrel Away Parts, Good/Bad Idea, Opinions ?   Squirrel Away Parts, Good/Bad Idea, Opinions ? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2022 8:51 pm

I'd say good idea.  SW was last sold in 2013 in US maybe a bit longer overseas and new parts will be harder to find or on backorder. Price increases are here inflation now at 7.5 % and climbing I could go on.  Mad
Ebay is difficult unknown quality or use.
Back to top Go down
MUCHoldERwingguy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 89
Registration date : 2022-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Squirrel Away Parts, Good/Bad Idea, Opinions ?   Squirrel Away Parts, Good/Bad Idea, Opinions ? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2022 8:53 pm

I say good luck sir if you have the $$$$ o do it and time to wait until someone else needs it go for it. I STILL have some 1500 GW items and a friend ended up making a landfill deposit out of his.
Back to top Go down
andyman
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2009-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Squirrel Away Parts, Good/Bad Idea, Opinions ?   Squirrel Away Parts, Good/Bad Idea, Opinions ? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 11, 2022 7:16 am

I did that soon after I got my silverwing. Somewhere around 2010 I watched someone on ebay breaking down a wrecked wing with 5000 miles on it and every week they kept dropping the price on the engine/drivetrain. After a couple months I put in my bid and got it all for a few hundred $. (Forget exact as it was over a decade ago). I also have a spare set of wheels and plastics that I was collecting whenever I saw a cheap part go on ebay. The wheels came in handy as I could drop off a set to the shop and get tires installed without having the bike down for a day or 2, but as I'm mounting and balancing my own tires now I'm ready to let those go. As far as the drivetrain goes, I've harvested a couple small parts off of it as things needed attention on my bike and to me are an amazing insurance policy as my wing gets long in the tooth.

Long response to say I think it's a good idea for something that's a long term keeper.

Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4179
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Squirrel Away Parts, Good/Bad Idea, Opinions ?   Squirrel Away Parts, Good/Bad Idea, Opinions ? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 11, 2022 8:21 am

Here's my two bob's worth. I kept my Silver Wing eight years and apart from replacing worn tyres, changing to Iridium plugs and the usual fluids and filter changes, the only part I had to replace in all those was the rear brake hose which I accidentally damaged a couple of years before I sold it.

So for me hoarding away parts doesn't work. When I retired and moved to York there was all sorts of junk for BMW's and MZ's I'd acquired and never used or needed to dispose of. Plus there's a couple of Burgman screens I still have.

I sold my Airflow screen and FSM last year and the only stuff I have now an oil filter, Magazzi mirrors and mirror extenders, and a few tools that were specifically useful on the Silver Wing for changing that silly tappet cover sump plug, or getting at the deep seated spark plugs.

All the accessories I had for the Silver Wing and no longer use like Givi soft panniers, Givi E52 top box, Airhawk seat, the aforementioned mirrors, and other sundry items, I should really get my lazy arse in gear and get rid of them.

It doesn’t take long for what once useful items to be downgraded to clutter.
I initially find it difficult to get rid of stuff,but once it's gone I don't give it another thought.
Back to top Go down
sc00ter
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2018-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Squirrel Away Parts, Good/Bad Idea, Opinions ?   Squirrel Away Parts, Good/Bad Idea, Opinions ? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 11, 2022 9:05 am

I only keep what I call emergency parts on hand. Brake levers, one brake micro-switch, transponder wire (for my Piaggio) and oil filters that were purchased at discount in bulk, because they are the slot end type.

I used to build Yamaha Zuma 2-strokes for a hobby and had enough parts to rebuild a whole scooter on hand. But for the Silverwing and the Piaggio I just keep the above on hand. It never thought of the fact that the Silverwing has been discontinued for a long while and parts may be harder to come by, but I rarely keep a scooter very long, 5 years max. The SIlverwing is the wife's and she no longer rides.

When I rode sport bikes I zip-tied a front brake lever and a clutch lever under the panels, or what was left of the panels, because I went down a couple of times doing stunts and had control levers get broken off.
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: Squirrel Away Parts, Good/Bad Idea, Opinions ?   Squirrel Away Parts, Good/Bad Idea, Opinions ? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 11, 2022 12:38 pm

My main focus in the case of the Silverwing is wear/maintenance oem parts, specifically CVT components, seals, bearings, etc., even though they are very durable, they wil wear. There's very few aftermarket cvt parts and they are mostly performance, no interest. Buying used cvt parts is not a good idea, IAC very hard to find any used parts.

In my last years I have really downsized on almost everything in my shop area, is just more sh.. to manage and take space, you don't need 1/2 dozen of the same tool  Rolling Eyes

I wiil keep all parts in their original packaging, sealed bags, etc. and  marked with value, you never know when ....   Sleep

The last part I wanted arrived ..., time to squirrel it all.
Squirrel Away Parts, Good/Bad Idea, Opinions ? Sw15110
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1567
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Squirrel Away Parts, Good/Bad Idea, Opinions ?   Squirrel Away Parts, Good/Bad Idea, Opinions ? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 11, 2022 2:43 pm

Squirrel away!

I have accumulated a number of new OEM screws, bolts, clips and rubbers. I have a used rear driven assembly which is far from useful but, it could be made good if they became rare. I've got two front brake levers and master cylinders. Part worn front and rear tyres and a belt with 14000 miles on it. Also kept my old Pollini rollers and my DR Pulley Sliders both with low mileage on them.

Squirelling away parts can get you straight back on the road while you arrange a new or better replacement. I guess when I order the small bits I usually order 1 or 2 extra. It's actually paid off on more than one occasion.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3298
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Squirrel Away Parts, Good/Bad Idea, Opinions ?   Squirrel Away Parts, Good/Bad Idea, Opinions ? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 11, 2022 5:24 pm

Outside of parts dealers never have,, even for current models----I carried spare belt and exhaust gasket. and I prefer to ride current model still under warranty....and ride a lot, different than many here. Had 2 new SilverWings, 2009 and leftover 2013---riding them to near 50,000 miles each....and got rid of them, getting anything I needed from Honda dealers.....not mail order. Will be 83 in spring, looking at Honda Super Cub 125 ABS.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4179
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Squirrel Away Parts, Good/Bad Idea, Opinions ?   Squirrel Away Parts, Good/Bad Idea, Opinions ? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 11, 2022 6:37 pm

I've had this theory for a long time now, there's those that get their enjoyment regularly riding, touring, or just going to different places. I'm in that camp.

Then there's those I get the impression will  never go far from home as they're forever tinkering and seem more interested in getting their jollies doing that.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: Squirrel Away Parts, Good/Bad Idea, Opinions ?   Squirrel Away Parts, Good/Bad Idea, Opinions ? I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 12, 2022 1:44 pm

Let's all just make soothing noises and tell zrx212 that his behaviour is perfectly normal. Smile

BTW...80 bucks for a clutch bell? I'll buy one!
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: Squirrel Away Parts, Good/Bad Idea, Opinions ?   Squirrel Away Parts, Good/Bad Idea, Opinions ? I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 12, 2022 10:04 pm

Loosemarbles wrote:
Let's all just make soothing noises and tell zrx212 that his behaviour is perfectly normal. Smile

BTW...80 bucks for a clutch bell? I'll buy one!

I do appreciate that thumbs up

Actualy I mark my parts at the price I'm wiling to sell them with no loss at any given point, usually rounded to next full dollar of what I paid, not retail.

FYI, Average retail for clutch bell here is $90 USD+ship+Tax ??

I Paid $79.80 total TMD
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: Squirrel Away Parts, Good/Bad Idea, Opinions ?   Squirrel Away Parts, Good/Bad Idea, Opinions ? I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 13, 2022 2:01 pm

I like your logic but I think more soothing noises are required!

I've PMd you. Please check thumbs up
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Squirrel Away Parts, Good/Bad Idea, Opinions ?   Squirrel Away Parts, Good/Bad Idea, Opinions ? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Squirrel Away Parts, Good/Bad Idea, Opinions ?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: Honda Silver Wing :: Maintenance, Tips and Hints-
Jump to: