Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Drive Belt - Real livetime  ---  breaking ? I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 6:39 am

» Drive belt prices
Drive Belt - Real livetime  ---  breaking ? I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 5:26 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Drive Belt - Real livetime  ---  breaking ? I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Drive Belt - Real livetime  ---  breaking ? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 7:27 pm

» New to Me Swing
Drive Belt - Real livetime  ---  breaking ? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» LF extended back rest
Drive Belt - Real livetime  ---  breaking ? I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Yesterday at 4:42 pm

» I said Farewell...
Drive Belt - Real livetime  ---  breaking ? I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Drive Belt - Real livetime  ---  breaking ? I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:05 am

» Rear shock longevity
Drive Belt - Real livetime  ---  breaking ? I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Drive Belt - Real livetime  ---  breaking ? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Drive Belt - Real livetime --- breaking ?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
eddy
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 187
Registration date : 2009-11-27

Drive Belt - Real livetime  ---  breaking ? Empty
PostSubject: Drive Belt - Real livetime --- breaking ?   Drive Belt - Real livetime  ---  breaking ? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 16, 2010 6:43 am

The belt of my SW is allready changed at 16000 miles by the former owner.

The old belt looks like new.
Not a scratch or crack.

How about the real live time?

And...very important...
Do they break?
Back to top Go down
http://edho@operamail.com
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Drive Belt - Real livetime --- breaking ?   Drive Belt - Real livetime  ---  breaking ? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 16, 2010 8:05 am

Hi eddy,

Happy to hear the former owner changed the belt. Most people change the belt per the book (maintenance) and I have only heard of 1 belt going bad during operation in the last 1 1/2 years. Most nornal wear on the belt will be on the sides where it makes contact.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3297
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Belt   Drive Belt - Real livetime  ---  breaking ? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 16, 2010 8:16 am

I have now over 200,000 rubber band drive scooter miles since 1990.

Always change at manufacturer's recommend time. Of course think they will go longer. Getting run over doesn't sound like fun to me----have been run over by lady on cell phone at stop sign--hurt.

Once one belt totally failed and thankfully as I turned off Freeway and as I gave gas nothing. Belt was shredded. I carried spare. Helix....again thankful belt could be changed by only taking cover off and using piece of wood to block rear clutch open, new belt would go in. Reflex didn't have space to do this and I think SilverWing Same.

These belts are weakest link---drive a lot----my last chain drive Bike went 44,000 on original chain----much cheaper to keep than scooter.

John Grinsel
Back to top Go down
eddy
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Drive Belt - Real livetime --- breaking ?   Drive Belt - Real livetime  ---  breaking ? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 16, 2010 11:54 am

Not much to find about belt breakage.

And like Dennis said... most people change the belt according maintenance scenario.

When i (in late summer) go for longer trips (weekend), i will take the old belt with me.
In case the current break.

Changing a belt needs special tools...

And that makes me dependable of other people.
Hate that.
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Drive Belt - Real livetime --- breaking ?   Drive Belt - Real livetime  ---  breaking ? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 16, 2010 12:29 pm

eddy wrote:
The old belt looks like new. Not a scratch or crack.
I think they generally look fine. Obvious damage to the surface would mean it is not serviceable. To determine if it is within the acceptable service limits you would have to use a micrometer to measure the width of the belt. It is possible to have internal damage and the belt still be within the service limits.

eddy wrote:
How about the real live time?
Real life time - best to follow the very conservative recommended mileage (KMs).

eddy wrote:
And...very important... Do they break?
I've only heard of one SilverWing belt breaking in the time I've been on various forums. Obviously they can break and it is even possible that more than the one I know of has broken.

We travel long distances (on 2 SilverWings) and do not carry spare belts. I know that is the behavior of a heretic, but...
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Drive Belt - Real livetime --- breaking ?   Drive Belt - Real livetime  ---  breaking ? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 16, 2010 1:03 pm

jdeereanton wrote:
eddy wrote:
And...very important... Do they break?
I've only heard of one SilverWing belt breaking in the time I've been on various forums. Obviously they can break and it is even possible that more than the one I know of has broken.

The belt that broke was a Mitsuboshi Kevlar Belt not an OEM Honda belt.
Back to top Go down
eddy
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Drive Belt - Real livetime --- breaking ?   Drive Belt - Real livetime  ---  breaking ? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 18, 2010 8:59 am

Conclusion: ( but not a scientific conclusion)

They don' t break when changing every 16000 miles.

Drive Belt - Real livetime  ---  breaking ? Icon_lol
Back to top Go down
eddy
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Drive Belt - Real livetime --- breaking ?   Drive Belt - Real livetime  ---  breaking ? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 19, 2010 7:32 am

Question again...

Did today a trip, 60 miles, hot weather (85 F ).
Secundary roads, 40..50 miles/hour , and with a lot stops and go.

At home i checked with my hand the temperature of the wheels, bearingsarea, tires.
Also the final drive box.

The rear objects are remarkable hotter, compared with the front.

It feels hot, but i can easy hold my hand.
I guess about 120 F .

Is it normal or to hot??

Thank You
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Drive Belt - Real livetime --- breaking ?   Drive Belt - Real livetime  ---  breaking ? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Drive Belt - Real livetime --- breaking ?
Page 1 of 1