Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
Windshield opinion(s) I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Sun May 05, 2024 9:19 pm

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Windshield opinion(s) I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» checking the oil
Windshield opinion(s) I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Fri May 03, 2024 7:41 am

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
Windshield opinion(s) I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Windshield opinion(s) I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Windshield opinion(s) I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Windshield opinion(s) I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Windshield opinion(s) I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Windshield opinion(s) I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Windshield opinion(s) I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Windshield opinion(s)

Go down 
+6
Dale N.
skids
GHM-PM
Meldrew
Loosemarbles
Bcook01
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Bcook01
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2015-11-05

Windshield opinion(s) Empty
PostSubject: Windshield opinion(s)   Windshield opinion(s) I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 21, 2021 10:16 am

I look at the pic [Nov 2021 forum photo] and think who seriously owns a Silver Wing and doesn’t junk the useless Honda screen ASAP and fit an Airflow.

i don't know why everyone is so enamored with the give windscreen. I have tried both givi's and clearview.  I won't disagree ....the honda is not very good. I find the givi airflow still gives me buffeting no matter where i adjust the screen but I find there is a lot of wind on my arms and little protection on the hands especially in rain! It is more pronounced when the temperature drops

I removed a clearview and replaced with givi and reinstalled the clearview after a year on the givi. Besides it i cheaper and you can add ventilation for the summer.

Each to their own. I just find the givi airflow is somewhat overrated.

BTW i have two NEW OEM screens that are sitting idle if someone is interested. Smile
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1567
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Windshield opinion(s)   Windshield opinion(s) I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 21, 2021 10:44 am

I suspect that the riding position on most scooters will be difficult to protect from the wind. I quite like my GiVi 214, I found it a big improvement over the OEM. I still get a lot of buffeting but it depends on so many dynamics, like riding speed, wing direction and speed etc.

For the most part it works fine and I have found it's best quality is deflecting the rain above and over my visor.

Whilst enjoying this distraction, that picture is still making feel uneasy!
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4179
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Windshield opinion   Windshield opinion(s) I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 21, 2021 11:40 am

I liked the Airflow on my Silver Wing, even though I had two top screens jettison off at high speed. When I remedied the fault and later added a Wunderlich wind deflector it was spot on. The Airflow's side wings don't look much but they work well at speed in wet weather to deflect rain off your gloves.

I now have a taller, wider Givi screen on my Forza, not that they was much wrong with the OE screen, I just wanted more weather and wind protection. In addition to it being electrically height adjustable it has the Wunderlich wind deflector off the Silver Wing fitted, and bodywork mounted Givi hand wind deflectors.  Together they're a pretty formidable wet weather combination.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2562
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Windshield opinion(s)   Windshield opinion(s) I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2021 6:52 am

After hearing the issues with the adjustable (as Meldrew says) and after having a Goldwing with an adjustable windshield which once set I never moved again, I went another route. Cee Bailey made motorcycle windshields for a time (no longer sadly) so I measured exactly the size needed and ordered it. The windshield is great quality and exactly the size I needed. LOVE it!

That said I got a Givi fixed screen for my Forza to replace the horrid shorty screen that Honda put on it... Will install it in May and it should make a big difference.
Back to top Go down
skids
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2021-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Windshield opinion(s)   Windshield opinion(s) I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2021 5:56 pm

I have the 18” windshield from https://madstad.com/products/honda-fjs600

I love it
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1986
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Windshield opinion(s)   Windshield opinion(s) I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2021 6:34 pm

When I bought my 08 SWing it had a Clearview XL windscreen. I think the XL stands for Extra Large or Long. Either way it fits me fine and I haven't thought about changing it. If I sit up straight I can just see over the top without stretching any. I figure if it ain't broke...
But then, To Each His Own.
Back to top Go down
Mike M
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2022-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Windshield opinion(s)   Windshield opinion(s) I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 29, 2023 11:41 am

Hello all.
Loving reading up all your comments about windshields. Had my SW for 10 months now and I love the bike but hate the buffeting and immense noise over about 40mph. After 150mile recent ride I arrived deafened and with a splitting headache. Seems you all say its the terrible OE Honda screen and I can see why. But looking at a GIVI alternative, they say only for SW up to 2009, mine is a 2010 FJS600, so will it still fit? So sorry if this has been trawled before...
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Windshield opinion(s)   Windshield opinion(s) I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 29, 2023 11:48 am

The Givi AF 214 will fit; I had one on the 2013 model.

There's a fair amount of information here on how to fit it; it's not difficult, especially if you take note of tips given by members.
Back to top Go down
Mike M
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Windshield opinion(s)   Windshield opinion(s) I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 29, 2023 11:57 am

Thank you so much MikeO, thats the plan then. You wouldn't by chance know if they are available in UK at all?......
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Windshield opinion(s)   Windshield opinion(s) I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 29, 2023 1:06 pm

Pleasure!

Indeed they are: just Google 'givi af 214'.

They're not cheap but worth every penny as far as I'm concerned.

This thread may be useful but don't hesitate to ask:

https://www.silverwing600.com/t567-givi-windshield-install-question
Back to top Go down
Dutch SilverWing
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Dutch SilverWing

Number of posts : 75
Registration date : 2020-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Windshield opinion(s)   Windshield opinion(s) I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 29, 2023 2:57 pm

Mike M wrote:
Thank you so much MikeO, thats the plan then. You wouldn't by chance know if they are available in UK at all?......

Hello Mike, I found this for you, may be it will help.
https://www.givi.co.uk/my-motorcycle/product/honda/silver-wing-400-06--09-/screen/af214
Back to top Go down
Dutch SilverWing
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Dutch SilverWing

Number of posts : 75
Registration date : 2020-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Windshield opinion(s)   Windshield opinion(s) I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 29, 2023 3:18 pm

As Bcook01 himself puts it so beautifully: "Each it's own".
From my own experiences I can say that the Givi AF214 Airflow is the best solution for me personaly.
I'm about 6'1" tall and have had several screens on both of my Silverwings.
But now that I have been riding with an Airflow for a good year, I have become a big fan of it.
The Airflow is also a big hit in Europe maybe more than in the US.
But again; "Each it's own".
Greetings from the Netherlands.
Windshield opinion(s) Windsc10
Back to top Go down
JohnyC
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
JohnyC

Number of posts : 301
Registration date : 2022-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Windshield opinion(s)   Windshield opinion(s) I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 29, 2023 7:35 pm

Being 6' 5" I find the longer Givi 214 DT screen perfect for me. And a lot better weather protection than stock.Windshield opinion(s) 20230213

Be safe, be seen and heard!
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4179
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Windshield opinion(s)   Windshield opinion(s) I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 30, 2023 3:13 am

Mike M wrote:
Hello all.
Loving reading up all your comments about windshields. Had my SW for 10 months now and I love the bike but hate the buffeting and immense noise over about 40mph. After 150mile recent ride I arrived deafened and with a splitting headache. Seems you all say its the terrible OE Honda screen and I can see why..

In my experience I've never owned a maxi scooter yet where I haven't had to change the OE screen for an aftermarket one.

I had the Givi AF 214 on my Silver Wing supplemented by a Wunderlich screen spoiler. I later sold my Airflow to a Silver Owner in thr East Riding, and the Wunderlich spoiler is now on the taller Givi screen on my Forza.

My interest was piqued over your comments about being 'deafened and with a splitting headache'.

I doubt if that is all down to the OE screen alone, it is rather noisy but tolerable if you're wearing a decent set of earplugs.

Were you wearing ear plugs, do you wear ear plugs?

As good as the Airflow is, it's still requires you the rider to wear a set of decent well fitting ear plugs.

Back to top Go down
Mike M
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Windshield opinion(s)   Windshield opinion(s) I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 30, 2023 6:01 am

Hi Meldrew and all. As an ex GoldWing rider of 10+ years this buffeting and noise was something I had not noted before.

I don't recall the same on my GL1000K2 + Pantera full fairing but I was a lot younger then! Many European tours and high speed dashes along autobahns never were the slightest problem.

Seems on the SW it is wind noise so might just be that I'm in the critical zone of eddies coming off the top of the screen which is also boanicing the helmet about. Hoping a change of screen will break the cycle and get back to enjoying the riding.

I don't feel safe riding with earplugs as I'm a bit hard of hearing anyway...WHAT YOU SAY!!!

On a side note, I've started using the petrol with 5% ethanol rather than the normal 10% and I'm sure my SW is running smoother and happier... Thanks all.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Windshield opinion(s)   Windshield opinion(s) I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Windshield opinion(s)
Page 1 of 1