Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Ignition wires to which plug?
Yet more brake bleeding problems - resolved I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Today at 6:39 pm

» noise under load
Yet more brake bleeding problems - resolved I_icon_minitimeby COMick Today at 6:04 pm

» Hello from Illinois!
Yet more brake bleeding problems - resolved I_icon_minitimeby DescendingRaven Yesterday at 2:13 pm

» Silverwing Brakes
Yet more brake bleeding problems - resolved I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Tue May 14, 2024 11:57 pm

» LF extended back rest
Yet more brake bleeding problems - resolved I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Mon May 13, 2024 7:57 pm

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
Yet more brake bleeding problems - resolved I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Mon May 13, 2024 12:53 pm

» checking the oil
Yet more brake bleeding problems - resolved I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Mon May 13, 2024 10:11 am

» Left brake micro-switch
Yet more brake bleeding problems - resolved I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
Yet more brake bleeding problems - resolved I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

» Greetings from a 'Wing' newbie
Yet more brake bleeding problems - resolved I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Fri May 10, 2024 8:11 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Yet more brake bleeding problems - resolved

Go down 
+2
Cosmic_Jumper
smellybeard
6 posters
AuthorMessage
smellybeard
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2020-08-11

Yet more brake bleeding problems - resolved Empty
PostSubject: Yet more brake bleeding problems - resolved   Yet more brake bleeding problems - resolved I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 10, 2021 7:27 am

I've replaced the pistons and seals in my front calliper (and pads).

Right-hand/ front system bled quickly and efficiently. Very solid feel.

Left-hand/ rear system is being the usual obstreperous unbleedable unmentionable. I'm using a vacuum and have worked a couple of times around the rear and lower front bleed nipples. I've put nearly a litre of DOT4 through it with no air coming out and no sign of a proper brake lever. I'm not doing any more of that until I understand what's going on.

My conclusion is that there's an undocumented trap for air somewhere in the system and that some engineer, thinking that just because he worked for Honda, he could direct water to flow uphill. As a Canadian actor once said in a funny voice, 'Ye canne change the laws of physics'.

I suspect that somewhere around the delay valve there's a bit of silly design. Alas, that's inside the plastic somewhere and I'm not familiar with it. Has anyone looked at this and might there be an air trap there?

Last edited by smellybeard on Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Yet more brake bleeding problems - resolved   Yet more brake bleeding problems - resolved I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 10, 2021 8:24 am

The Search window (Advanced / Google) produced this interesting discussion: 

https://www.silverwing600.com/t4516-how-can-the-brake-delay-be-tested
Back to top Go down
Mottza
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Mottza

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2021-07-21

PostSubject: Re: Yet more brake bleeding problems - resolved   Yet more brake bleeding problems - resolved I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 10, 2021 10:06 am

I took my wing to my local garage who charges very little for a bleed. It has improved the brakes quite a lot and manage to lock tyres now before the lever hits the grips.

Once the new disc is on, that will improve the front brake further as a warped disc will push the pads out further an

Much better than me cursing and mucking it up.

Last edited by Mottza on Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4179
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Yet more brake bleeding problems - resolved   Yet more brake bleeding problems - resolved I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 10, 2021 12:09 pm

Hmmm… scratch How do you lock the tyres/wheels on a Silver Wing equipped with ABS as a safety feature to prevent the rider doing just that?

I never managed to lock up a front or rear wheel up once in my eight years of Silver Wing ownership. Neutral
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 999
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Yet more brake bleeding problems - resolved   Yet more brake bleeding problems - resolved I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 10, 2021 2:31 pm

Try bleeding it through the traditional way rather than using a vacuum thingy.
Back to top Go down
Mottza
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Mottza

PostSubject: Re: Yet more brake bleeding problems - resolved   Yet more brake bleeding problems - resolved I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 10, 2021 3:12 pm

Meldrew. ABS will not stop a wheel locking up. But will prevent it carrying on.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1568
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Yet more brake bleeding problems - resolved   Yet more brake bleeding problems - resolved I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 10, 2021 4:10 pm

I don't know how old your SW is but rear brake bleeding has haunted me for six years, even though mine doesn't have ABS. It took a whole lot of piece-by-piece elimination to get my rear brake to behave properly; it's all covered here on the forum, including the brake delay valve.

I ended up replacing a ton of stuff and get the brakes bled at the shop. My brakes are the best they've ever been.......kinda scary when I think about how many miles I have covered with imperfect brakes affraid
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4179
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Yet more brake bleeding problems - resolved   Yet more brake bleeding problems - resolved I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 10, 2021 4:36 pm

On Page 70 of the Owners Handbook, "the ABS is designed to help prevent lock up during hard braking on uneven or poor road surfaces while running straight. Although the wheel may not lock up, if you're braking too hard in a turn the scooter can still lose traction causing a loss of control.'

Unlike your old Forza the Silver Wing is also equipped with a Combined Braking System. The front brake lever applies the front brake, Operating the rear brake lever applies the rear brake and a portion of the front brake.

Can't say I miss my Silver Wing at all, although I was pleasantly surprised to see it advertised for sale again on Autotrader a few weeks ago. By the next week it had gone.

Back to top Go down
Mottza
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Mottza

PostSubject: Re: Yet more brake bleeding problems - resolved   Yet more brake bleeding problems - resolved I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 10, 2021 4:47 pm

The Forza had linked brakes as well. Not that it has any relevance.

Glad your happy with your Forza, I'm happy with the Wing. So all is well with the world. 👍
Back to top Go down
smellybeard
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2020-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Yet more brake bleeding problems - resolved   Yet more brake bleeding problems - resolved I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 13, 2021 9:51 am

Without actually figuring everything out like I intended but after discussing it with wise heads, I decided to try something.

I pumped up the left/rear lever and tied it back to the bar.
Using the vacuum bleeder, I sucked on the rear bleed nipple, topping up the reservoir as needed. Eventually, I got a decent glop of air.
Next, using the vacuum bleeder and without disturbing the lever, I switched to the front lower nipple. Again, I eventually struck air.
I repeated this (without touching the lever) and got some more air from the rear.

At this stage I was dying to try the feel of it and untied the lever and was very pleased. Job done.

I think, perhaps, the 'delay valve' may not like being disturbed during the bleed process and pumping the lever may help trap air in or around it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Yet more brake bleeding problems - resolved   Yet more brake bleeding problems - resolved I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Yet more brake bleeding problems - resolved
Page 1 of 1