Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» LF extended back rest
New Silverwing owner, long-time rider I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Today at 2:49 am

» New to Me Swing
New Silverwing owner, long-time rider I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Yesterday at 10:47 pm

» I said Farewell...
New Silverwing owner, long-time rider I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Yesterday at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
New Silverwing owner, long-time rider I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 5:05 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
New Silverwing owner, long-time rider I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
New Silverwing owner, long-time rider I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
New Silverwing owner, long-time rider I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
New Silverwing owner, long-time rider I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
New Silverwing owner, long-time rider I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
New Silverwing owner, long-time rider I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

New Silverwing owner, long-time rider

Go down 
+6
DennisB
JeffR
Opalsboy
honda_silver
dspevack
WarrenK
10 posters
AuthorMessage
WarrenK
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
WarrenK

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2010-02-22

New Silverwing owner, long-time rider Empty
PostSubject: New Silverwing owner, long-time rider   New Silverwing owner, long-time rider I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 7:53 pm

Hello All,

I just purchased a used, gray 2005 model. I've only had a chance to ride it up and down the street a few times, still need to get it PA inspected and registered. I've ridden a Silverwing before and really liked it. This one will be for my 20 year old son to ride. I currently ride a 2008 Goldwing. I'm waiting now for Honda to build a Bronzewing so I can try for all 3 medals. New Silverwing owner, long-time rider Icon_smile

I've already done a little reading here and made good use of the information. I'm looking forward to future exchanges.

I've got a service manual on order already and prefer to service my own bikes as much as possible. This one needs a little TLC, but for the price, I couldn't pass it up.

I have one question already that perhaps you can help me with. I'm thinking this thing has an aftermarket accessory on it to flash the rear turn signals when the brakes are applied. They are lit when the bike is running, when the brakes are applied they flash alternately, like school bus lights do, and when the turn signals are active, one flashes and the other is completely out. I assume this is all done to draw attention from drivers that are following. I actually like the idea, but I've gotten grief for things like this when getting my PA inspections done on other bikes in the past. I am thinking I may as well remove it before I get the bike inspected. Anyone heard of what I'm describing and maybe where I may find it on the scooter?

Thanks in advance, and a big HELLO to all.

Warren
Back to top Go down
http://home.comcast.net/~hogwarren/site/
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: New Silverwing owner, long-time rider   New Silverwing owner, long-time rider I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 8:19 pm

This sounds like a signal dynamics product.
http://www.signaldynamics.com/

Chances are that most similar products are installed similarly, so check the website for the "back off" product, look for installation instructions, and that should point you in the right direction.

I'm not quite sure what "PA" inspection is, but here in the states it is not a problem to have this on your bike.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: New Silverwing owner, long-time rider   New Silverwing owner, long-time rider I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 8:32 pm

WarrenK wrote:
I have one question already that perhaps you can help me with. I'm thinking this thing has an aftermarket accessory on it to flash the rear turn signals when the brakes are applied. They are lit when the bike is running, when the brakes are applied they flash alternately, like school bus lights do, and when the turn signals are active, one flashes and the other is completely out. I assume this is all done to draw attention from drivers that are following. I actually like the idea, but I've gotten grief for things like this when getting my PA inspections done on other bikes in the past. I am thinking I may as well remove it before I get the bike inspected. Anyone heard of what I'm describing and maybe where I may find it on the scooter?

If you do not modify the stock lights and signals .. you may not have remove for annual inspections. Here is a description of what I have which might be close alternatives.

I have a the Night Riderz ( http://www.customdynamics.com/knight_rider_led_light_bar.htm ) which sequential moves left and right and then flashes 5 times before going sold. The Night Riderz lights are very bright.

I also have the BackOff Wig Wag ( http://www.customdynamics.com/signal_dynamics_back_off_brake_light_modulator.htm ) which are attached to two red 30 LED Stingerz ( http://www.customdynamics.com/stingerz_led_accent_lights.htm ) attached underneath the aluminum Wing which "Wig Wag" right and left.

I also have the Admore LED lighting ( http://www.admorelighting.com/index.php?page=products/index.php&subpage=7 ) for my Givi E52 top case.
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Re: New Silverwing owner, long-time rider   New Silverwing owner, long-time rider I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 8:34 pm

I think the PA is for Pennsylvania...
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: New Silverwing owner, long-time rider   New Silverwing owner, long-time rider I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 8:46 pm

Warren,

Welcome to the site and post a pic in the Album section if you get a chance. Also, even though you have a Goldwing you can still ride the SWing and have a lot of fun on it. I'm not sure about the questions you asked but it seems the ones that answered this before me do. If you want to do your own maintenance you might want to look at the "Pictorial" section, if you haven't already done so. Welcome.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: New Silverwing owner, long-time rider   New Silverwing owner, long-time rider I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 9:35 pm

Hey Warren,

Welcome aboard.
Back to top Go down
WarrenK
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
WarrenK

PostSubject: Re: New Silverwing owner, long-time rider   New Silverwing owner, long-time rider I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 4:01 am

Thanks to all for the "Welcome" messages and all the good, quick information.

I probably should have mentioned that I live in south-central Pennsylvania, Hanover, to be more specific, about 12 miles east of Gettysburg. And yes, I was referring to our state's annual safety inspections that are done.

If anyone is familiar with Hyperlights, I had a set of those on a previous bike and was told once that they had to be removed because it was illegal to have any flashing lights, other than turn signals or 4-way flashers. I believe I've heard the same about having amber running lights on the rear of a vehicle too. I'm sure this could be just Pennsylvania and I don't doubt that some inspection stations let this slide, but I'd just assume not make waves over it. I really think that inspector was just having a bad day.

Just to give a little something back to the forum here, in case some of you are suffering the PMS (Parked Motorcycle Syndrone) like I am. I have a number of motorcycle videos that I've made posted here. Sometimes it helps being able to at least watch people riding and having a good time...

http://www.streetfire.net/uploaded/hogwarren.htm

We have a little riding group and jokingly call ourselves the Hanover Hogs. It all started when the movie Wild Hogs came out. There's a website for that too.

I'll be sure to check out the sites that some of you have pointed me to.

Thanks again,

Warren
Back to top Go down
tankyuong
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
tankyuong

Number of posts : 475
Registration date : 2009-07-12

PostSubject: Re: New Silverwing owner, long-time rider   New Silverwing owner, long-time rider I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 11:01 am

Thge bronze wing would probably be 150cc I dont think youd like it.
Back to top Go down
WarrenK
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
WarrenK

PostSubject: Re: New Silverwing owner, long-time rider   New Silverwing owner, long-time rider I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 11:36 am

Well, they could rename the Reflex, couldn't they? I'm assuming they still make the Reflex, I don't really know.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

PostSubject: Re: New Silverwing owner, long-time rider   New Silverwing owner, long-time rider I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 1:26 pm

WarrenK wrote:

Here is PA information:

http://www.pabulletin.com/secure/data/vol28/28-46/1876.html

(6) SEMA requested the Department amend § 175.66(h) to allow ornamental
lamps unless they oscillate, rotate, flash or otherwise create a known
safety hazard. Since flashing and revolving lights may be used only on
emergency and other authorized vehicles, this type of light is not
categorized with ornamental lamps. The use of these lights is addressed
in Chapters 15 and 173 (relating to authorized vehicles and special
operating privileges; and flashing or revolving lights on emergency and
authorized vehicles). Subsection (h) has been amended to reference the
relevant chapters and explain that flashing or revolving lights are not
ornamental lamps. Therefore, § 175.66(h) has been further amended to
clarify that a lamp not enumerated in this section, or located as
described in Tables III, IV and V of this chapter, is prohibited unless
available as original equipment, thereby promoting consistency with the
amended definition of ''ornamental lamps'' found in § 175.2. This
addresses the concern discussed previously, whereby the proposal
appears to restrict after-market businesses from supplying replacement
or supplemental lamps. The definition of ''ornamental lamps'' in
§ 175.2, and §§ 175.96(h), 175.125(f), 175.146(h) and 175.175(h)
(relating to lighting and electrical systems) was similarly amended to
provide consistency and clarity throughout the chapter.
Back to top Go down
masscoot
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
masscoot

Number of posts : 438
Registration date : 2009-03-24

PostSubject: Re: New Silverwing owner, long-time rider   New Silverwing owner, long-time rider I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 3:29 pm

Welcome Warren!

Thanks for signing up with us! You might find the control box you are looking for behind one of the access panels in the rear of the trunk (under seat). That is a popular place to hide/mount accessories as it provides easy access to rear light/signal harness. DennisB has a nice **No splice** solution for that. Good luck and have your son stop by and say hello!
Back to top Go down
WarrenK
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
WarrenK

PostSubject: Re: New Silverwing owner, long-time rider   New Silverwing owner, long-time rider I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 5:54 pm

masscoot wrote:
Welcome Warren!

Thanks for signing up with us! You might find the control box you are looking for behind one of the access panels in the rear of the trunk (under seat). That is a popular place to hide/mount accessories as it provides easy access to rear light/signal harness. DennisB has a nice **No splice** solution for that. Good luck and have your son stop by and say hello!

Thank You Masscoot!

I took a quick look at that link and I bet that is where this device is probably located. I'll take a look this coming weekend. Maybe I'll even have my service manual by then so I'll know how to get that plastic off without breaking it.
Back to top Go down
WarrenK
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
WarrenK

PostSubject: Re: New Silverwing owner, long-time rider   New Silverwing owner, long-time rider I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 5:57 pm

honda_silver wrote:
WarrenK wrote:

Here is PA information:

http://www.pabulletin.com/secure/data/vol28/28-46/1876.html

(6) SEMA requested the Department amend § 175.66(h) to allow ornamental
lamps unless they oscillate, rotate, flash or otherwise create a known
safety hazard. Since flashing and revolving lights may be used only on
emergency and other authorized vehicles, this type of light is not
categorized with ornamental lamps. The use of these lights is addressed
in Chapters 15 and 173 (relating to authorized vehicles and special
operating privileges; and flashing or revolving lights on emergency and
authorized vehicles). Subsection (h) has been amended to reference the
relevant chapters and explain that flashing or revolving lights are not
ornamental lamps. Therefore, § 175.66(h) has been further amended to
clarify that a lamp not enumerated in this section, or located as
described in Tables III, IV and V of this chapter, is prohibited unless
available as original equipment, thereby promoting consistency with the
amended definition of ''ornamental lamps'' found in § 175.2. This
addresses the concern discussed previously, whereby the proposal
appears to restrict after-market businesses from supplying replacement
or supplemental lamps. The definition of ''ornamental lamps'' in
§ 175.2, and §§ 175.96(h), 175.125(f), 175.146(h) and 175.175(h)
(relating to lighting and electrical systems) was similarly amended to
provide consistency and clarity throughout the chapter.

Wow Bill,
That sure is a mouthful, isn't it? They sure went to a lot of trouble just to say "don't put flashing lights on your scooter", didn't they?

How far is Georgetown, Texas from Tyler? I have a brother that lives in Tyler and flies a helicopter at one of the hospitals there.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

PostSubject: Re: New Silverwing owner, long-time rider   New Silverwing owner, long-time rider I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 6:26 pm

WarrenK wrote:
How far is Georgetown, Texas from Tyler?

220 miles to the northeast.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Silverwing owner, long-time rider   New Silverwing owner, long-time rider I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 7:21 pm

Welcome, I just love my Silverwing. Every Honda I have had has really run great and I have had no problems with any of them. Ride on!!!
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
New Silverwing owner, long-time rider 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: New Silverwing owner, long-time rider   New Silverwing owner, long-time rider I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 26, 2010 12:36 am

honda_silver wrote:
WarrenK wrote:
How far is Georgetown, Texas from Tyler?

220 miles to the northeast.
Hey Bill, I sure hope Warren's brother doesn't head northeast from Tyler to vist you. It would be a long way around. New Silverwing owner, long-time rider Icon_lol You have some beautiful areas for riding. I really envy you for your closeness to the hill country. Now that is some pretty riding and the bluebonnets are coming.New Silverwing owner, long-time rider Icon_flower
Back to top Go down
WarrenK
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
WarrenK

PostSubject: Re: New Silverwing owner, long-time rider   New Silverwing owner, long-time rider I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 01, 2010 4:01 am

WarrenK wrote:
Hello All,

I just purchased a used, gray 2005 model. I've only had a chance to ride it up and down the street a few times, still need to get it PA inspected and registered. I've ridden a Silverwing before and really liked it. This one will be for my 20 year old son to ride. I currently ride a 2008 Goldwing. I'm waiting now for Honda to build a Bronzewing so I can try for all 3 medals. New Silverwing owner, long-time rider Icon_smile

I've already done a little reading here and made good use of the information. I'm looking forward to future exchanges.

I've got a service manual on order already and prefer to service my own bikes as much as possible. This one needs a little TLC, but for the price, I couldn't pass it up.

Thanks in advance, and a big HELLO to all.

Warren

Well, Saturday I found and removed the device that was installed to do this. It was under the left side cover, as someone suggested. Not too hard to remove. I believe this is what it actually was:

http://www.kriss.com/runflasher.php#info

An interesting little device, but I think it would confuse other drivers as much as it would attract attention.

Warren
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: New Silverwing owner, long-time rider   New Silverwing owner, long-time rider I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 02, 2010 1:37 pm

Warren,

Welcome to the forum. There is a a pretty good rally in PA

From another site:
THE ANNUAL MID ATLANTIC SPRING SCOOTER RALLY will be held on May 21st,--22nd--23rd., 2010. HEADQUARTERS will be at the Hollander Motel, 320 East Main Street, New Hollad, PA. All departures will be made PROMPTLY from the Hollander Motel. Be sure to have a full tank of fuel in advance. *****There is no fee for this event however, REGISTRATION IS REQUIRED at our web site--- www.midatlanticscoot.com

I've never been, but it sounds like fun.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
WarrenK
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
WarrenK

PostSubject: Re: New Silverwing owner, long-time rider   New Silverwing owner, long-time rider I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 02, 2010 5:46 pm

jdeereanton wrote:
Warren,

Welcome to the forum. There is a a pretty good rally in PA

From another site:
THE ANNUAL MID ATLANTIC SPRING SCOOTER RALLY will be held on May 21st,--22nd--23rd., 2010. HEADQUARTERS will be at the Hollander Motel, 320 East Main Street, New Hollad, PA. All departures will be made PROMPTLY from the Hollander Motel. Be sure to have a full tank of fuel in advance. *****There is no fee for this event however, REGISTRATION IS REQUIRED at our web site--- www.midatlanticscoot.com

I've never been, but it sounds like fun.

Thanks Dale, I'll keep that in mind. I might even be able to make it to that one, it's only maybe an hour from here.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Silverwing owner, long-time rider   New Silverwing owner, long-time rider I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Silverwing owner, long-time rider
Page 1 of 1