Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Hi there guys
Butt rest adjustment I_icon_minitimeby Kenjls Today at 7:20 am

» Final Drive Noise banished
Butt rest adjustment I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:14 am

» Rear shock longevity
Butt rest adjustment I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:10 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Butt rest adjustment I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
Butt rest adjustment I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks
Butt rest adjustment I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Butt rest adjustment I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Butt rest adjustment I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Butt rest adjustment I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Butt rest adjustment I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Butt rest adjustment

Go down 
+9
ericclapham
Greysilver
Mr Blobby
Flyingpanman
Murf
oldwingguy
Modernman1953
lloyd193
Jinglebob
13 posters
AuthorMessage
Jinglebob
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Jinglebob

Number of posts : 297
Registration date : 2009-07-18

Butt rest adjustment Empty
PostSubject: Butt rest adjustment   Butt rest adjustment I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 25, 2017 11:51 am

Greetings! I just got a 2003 SWing and would like to.move the butt rest back a bit. Dud some research here and learned there are two allen screws on the underside of the seat which can be loosened for that purpose. I tried that, removing the screws entirely, but the butt rest wouldn't budge.

Any ideas?
Back to top Go down
lloyd193
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
lloyd193

Number of posts : 327
Registration date : 2017-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Butt rest adjustment   Butt rest adjustment I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 25, 2017 1:41 pm

Jinglebob wrote:
Greetings!  I just got a 2003 SWing and would like to.move the butt rest back a bit.  Dud some research here and learned there are two allen screws on the underside of the seat which can be loosened for that purpose.  I tried that, removing the screws entirely, but the butt rest wouldn't budge.

Any ideas?

Is the butt rest already in it's rear most position? Pull it forward it should slide out, Lubricate and reinstall. Happy motoring lloyd 193. swing
Back to top Go down
Modernman1953
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 379
Registration date : 2016-06-01

PostSubject: Re: Butt rest adjustment   Butt rest adjustment I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 26, 2017 1:08 am

Yea. take it off completely and enjoy the extra space.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Butt rest adjustment   Butt rest adjustment I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 26, 2017 7:08 am

Convert it to a back rest, gaining more room if needed and some lower back support.
Back to top Go down
Murf
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Murf

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2017-04-19

PostSubject: Re: Butt rest adjustment   Butt rest adjustment I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 26, 2017 2:25 pm

I removed the back rest and love the extra room. Even put a cool seat cover on it now.
Back to top Go down
Jinglebob
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Jinglebob

PostSubject: Re: Butt rest adjustment   Butt rest adjustment I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 26, 2017 6:18 pm

OK, didn't understand that the butt rest comes off by pushing it forward. Was able to remove it, but now I see that the associated brackets underneath, on the seat, are attached to the seat pan by both Phillips screws and rivets. Do you guys remove these, or what do you do with them?
Back to top Go down
Flyingpanman
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Flyingpanman

Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2016-06-03

PostSubject: Re: Butt rest adjustment   Butt rest adjustment I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 26, 2017 7:22 pm

I'm 6' 3" and need all the room I can get. I removed the butt rest and made a plywood backrest as in the photos in my album on this site. Here's one of the pics...

Butt rest adjustment Dsc01012
Back to top Go down
Jinglebob
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Jinglebob

PostSubject: Re: Butt rest adjustment   Butt rest adjustment I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 26, 2017 8:10 pm

Gotcha. That looks really well done.
Back to top Go down
Mr Blobby
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Mr Blobby

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2016-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Butt rest adjustment   Butt rest adjustment I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 27, 2017 3:02 pm

Hi

The backrest looks really good on your bike Mr Flyingpanman. I checked out your pictures and it seems fairly easy to do.
I was wondering if you could just cut 2 pieces of flat steel bar and drill holes to correspond with the adjusting legs in order to bolt one end to the butt rest and use the adjusting leg holes for the the other end, that would raise the butt rest height by a couple of inches so you get the same effect. Maybe the butt rest, now a back rest, will apply too much load to the legs as you lean back on them. Not sure.
The project looks interesting to me so just might start looking at making brackets.
Thanks for the idea.

Mr Blobby Laughing
Back to top Go down
Flyingpanman
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Flyingpanman

PostSubject: Re: Butt rest adjustment   Butt rest adjustment I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 27, 2017 6:44 pm

Mr Blobby wrote:
Hi

The backrest looks really good on your bike Mr Flyingpanman. I checked out your pictures and it seems fairly easy to do.
I was wondering if you could just cut 2 pieces of flat steel bar and drill holes to correspond with the adjusting legs in order to bolt one end to the butt rest and use the adjusting leg holes for the the other end, that would raise the butt rest height by a couple of inches so you get the same effect. Maybe the butt rest, now a back rest, will apply too much load to the legs as you lean back on them. Not sure.
Mr Blobby Laughing

The flat steel bars (or marine plywood in my case) need padding out and the bars would need to be angled forward to place the backrest in the small of the back. If not, your "tailbone" area will become quite sore as it will contact the steel bars. I tried pushing back on my plywood effort and it would need a lot of effort to break it. I suspect the plastic seat moulding would give way first. That's why I reinforced with plates of ply underneath the seat. I find plywood is strong enough and also gives a springiness that helps absorb shocks and bumps.

I considered steaming the ply to put a bend in it, but decided a hinge with some means of adjusting the angle would be best. That's why I went with two plates of ply and the hinges.

One drawback is the butt-rest is so wide that a pillion has difficulty getting astride it on the rear seat. I'm considering finding a headrest in a breakers to make into the backrest. I could cut down the butt-rest, but I may need it if I ever sell the machine.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Butt rest adjustment   Butt rest adjustment I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 28, 2017 8:02 am

So far covering the steel bars on mine with heavy foam water pipe insulation has worked for me. The insulation is pre split and EZ to install another plus is it's dark gray, it blends well with the seat color.
Back to top Go down
Greysilver
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Greysilver

Number of posts : 494
Registration date : 2014-04-08

PostSubject: very good looking mod   Butt rest adjustment I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 29, 2017 8:21 pm

Flyingpanman wrote:
I'm 6' 3" and need all the room I can get. I removed the butt rest and made a plywood backrest as in the photos in my album on this site. Here's one of the pics...

Butt rest adjustment Dsc01012

I'm 6'0" and the seat rest is pretty restrictive. This looks very effective. I have zip for talent so Ill admire only but My Compliments.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Butt rest adjustment   Butt rest adjustment I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 29, 2017 8:45 pm

Greysilver I'm 6.0 also, the straight bar construction is pretty straight forward, so far I haven't felt the need to bend the straight pieces.
Back to top Go down
Flyingpanman
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Flyingpanman

PostSubject: Re: Butt rest adjustment   Butt rest adjustment I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 30, 2017 5:57 am

Greysilver wrote:

I'm 6'0" and the seat rest is pretty restrictive. This looks very effective. I have zip for talent so Ill admire only but My Compliments.

If you look on eBay, I'm sure there's a guy over in the States who sells a kit for the Silver Wing to convert the butt-rest to a back-rest. He uses a steel plate that bolts in, I think.

He also sells to the UK, but I'm a cheapskate and built mine from stuff hanging around the garage.
Back to top Go down
Jinglebob
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Jinglebob

PostSubject: Re: Butt rest adjustment   Butt rest adjustment I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 31, 2017 7:03 pm

I just got one of those from eBay and put it on. Not sure how I feel about it yet. I need to go for a long ride with it and that will give me an idea about whether it's worth keeping.
Back to top Go down
ericclapham
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
ericclapham

Number of posts : 106
Registration date : 2014-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Butt rest adjustment   Butt rest adjustment I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 01, 2017 6:10 am

Flyingpanman wrote:
Greysilver wrote:

If you look on eBay, I'm sure there's a guy over in the States who sells a kit for the Silver Wing to convert the butt-rest to a back-rest. He uses a steel plate that bolts in, I think.

He also sells to the UK, but I'm a cheapskate and built mine from stuff hanging around the garage.
If you are talking about the unit made by Vinson, give it a big miss. The quality of workmanship - welds, paint finish etc - is rubbish. Not worth the money !
Back to top Go down
Jinglebob
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Jinglebob

PostSubject: Re: Butt rest adjustment   Butt rest adjustment I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 19, 2017 1:03 pm

Yep, as it turns out, that backrest catches me right in the middle of my back body armor. I rode with it for about 5 miles and realized it was not going to work. I put the backrest back into its normal place and pushed it all the way back as far as it would go, then put the Airhawk on the seat. I'll just learn to live with the stock seat, since I don't care to buy a Corbin seat again.
Back to top Go down
Silverwingdays
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 97
Registration date : 2017-06-05

PostSubject: Re: Butt rest adjustment   Butt rest adjustment I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 02, 2017 5:16 pm

Hi, someone in the UK gave me very good advice to take the seat hump off and move the bracket on it down to just the bottom set of bolts, then fit back, in, you get just over an inch further back and the seat hump sits a little further up too.

You can just see the main seat fixed brackets then. It makes a very big difference.

When I bought mine it was on the middle setting !!!! so I got just over 2 inches more room doing that fix.

I did wonder if you can tilt the handle bars forward a little too.

Or has anyone fitted lower, more forward bars possibly as might be handy too.

I might try it with my hump off, though its a shame there is so little padding on the seat there.

I was thinking of buying a gel and foam pad anyway so that would help on that front.

Hope you got( or get ) to a comfortable and sorted place with it.

Best SWD

Back to top Go down
Jinglebob
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Jinglebob

PostSubject: Re: Butt rest adjustment   Butt rest adjustment I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 02, 2017 6:32 pm

Currently, I have the backrest all the way to the rear and I have an AirHawk seat cushion on the seat. This combination seems to work quite well, so I'm satisfied, at least for now...
Back to top Go down
Silverwingdays
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Butt rest adjustment   Butt rest adjustment I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 03, 2017 4:06 am

Hi Jinglebob, would you mind me asking you what size airhawk you got and how it fits, feels etc please.

I was thinking of getting one to reduce harshness getting through from the road on bad out of the way roads etc.

I wonder why the silverwing as standard is so cramped ? But my son says its much comfier and roomy on the back than my old T max, even with the silverwing Hump set so far back.

Best SWD
Back to top Go down
Jinglebob
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Jinglebob

PostSubject: Re: Butt rest adjustment   Butt rest adjustment I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 03, 2017 6:44 pm

Hi, no problem.  I use an AirHawk R, size Large (LG).  They also describe it on the box as an AirHawk Cruiser R, size LG.  The box says that its dimensions are 14" deep and 14.5" wide.  Here's what it looks like on the bike:
Attachments
Butt rest adjustment AttachmentDSC01068.jpg
You don't have permission to download attachments.
(73 Kb) Downloaded 22 times
Back to top Go down
Flyingpanman
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Flyingpanman

PostSubject: Re: Butt rest adjustment   Butt rest adjustment I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 04, 2017 6:45 am

SILVERWINGDAYS wrote:
Hi Jinglebob, would you mind me asking you what size airhawk you got and how it fits, feels etc please.

I was thinking of getting one to reduce harshness getting through from the road on bad out of the way roads etc.

I wonder why the silverwing as standard is so cramped ? But my son says its much comfier and roomy on the back than my old T max, even with the silverwing Hump set so far back.

Best SWD

Airhawks are very expensive. Look on ebay uk for Tourtecs air cushion (maybe Tourtechs?). Same type of thing/operation and around half the price. I've had one on my wing for over a year.

If you just want an idea of how it feels, search ebay for a wheelchair air cushion for around a tenner. Again, similar and I'm sitting on one at my computer. Problem is they are square and not enclosed in black cushion cover. After daily use, one punctured about 11 months old.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4174
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Butt rest adjustment   Butt rest adjustment I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 04, 2017 7:25 am

It's the neoprene rubber Airhawk cushions that are a tad pricey, but they also do a cheaper PVC option, and if accidentally punctured both are repairable. I've had a neoprene Airhawk for about 12 years, and it tends to be non slip mesh backing on the base of the Airhawk cover that gets worn.

Back to top Go down
Flyingpanman
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Flyingpanman

PostSubject: Re: Butt rest adjustment   Butt rest adjustment I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 04, 2017 8:03 am

Yes, you're right about the neoprene versions being pricey, but they are supposed to last longer and your 12 year use seems to confirm that.

I just had a quick look at prices of the Tourtecs and they have increased in price since I bought mine for around £50. They're more like £80 now!

The square pvc wheelchair cushions are very cheap at around a tenner each. It makes one wonder about the profit margins of the motorcycle versions. I managed to repair the pin-prick of a hole in mine with some Evo-Stik "Serious Glue" (my recommendation for many jobs) and it's stayed up for two days now - with my considerable weight on it! The square outline and lack of appropriate cover is the drawback for two-wheeled use.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4174
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Butt rest adjustment   Butt rest adjustment I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 04, 2017 8:33 am

Flyingpanman wrote:
Yes, you're right about the neoprene versions being pricey, but they are supposed to last longer and your 12 year use seems to confirm that.

Not really, I was just something I bought thinking I needed but I don't. Apart from when I regularly used it built up with a couple of layers of shaped closed cell for extra height to compensate for an over high Biondi screen on my 400 Burgman, I rarely used it in the two years I had a 650 Burgman even though it had a much harder seat than the 400.

The last time I remember using it on the Silver Wing was on the first day of a tour to Thuringia in Germany over five years ago. Then it went under the seat and and it stayed for the rest of the trip.

Last year I took it along the O2 Arena in London for the Country2Country Music Festival. Simply to get a bit of relief comfort when sitting for hours in the arse knumbing cramped seats there.  Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
Silverwingdays
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Butt rest adjustment   Butt rest adjustment I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 04, 2017 7:15 pm

I tried my Silverwing with the riders hump off and it felt really odd.

So popped it back on.

I think it will take a bit of getting used to like that.

Best SWD
Back to top Go down
Jolly Bodger
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2016-10-05

PostSubject: Re: Butt rest adjustment   Butt rest adjustment I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 05, 2017 2:27 pm

Does anyone know why there is a rectangular steel plate held on with 4 button head bolts on the back of the butt rest? It does not appear to have any purpose!

JB
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 757
Registration date : 2013-06-27

PostSubject: Re: Butt rest adjustment   Butt rest adjustment I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 06, 2017 8:56 am

Hey, JB. I don't know what purpose they serve. I adapted my buttrest into a backrest. I used two 5" pieces of flat steel about 1" wide 1/4" thick with the holes lined up into the four holes that were occupied by the rectangular plate. The four bolts come in handy for that. Once you have those you line up the other end on to the brackets that held the sliders for the buttrest. Four holes and four short bolts hold the entire assembly tightly together. Slide your backrest into the brackets and tighten bolts under the seat. Your buttrest is now your backrest.
I rigged up a small piece of plexiglass and a piece of foam to cover the space between the bars.
You can angle the flat steel to your liking, mine are probably at 8 or 9 degrees. It takes a real shallow angle to be comfortable in your back.
Jay.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Butt rest adjustment   Butt rest adjustment I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Butt rest adjustment
Page 1 of 1