Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Oil screen stuck
is the J Costa variator worth buying? I_icon_minitimeby Nolabel10935 Yesterday at 11:20 pm

» Trike Riders! Stand up and be counted!
is the J Costa variator worth buying? I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning
is the J Costa variator worth buying? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 2:50 pm

» Introduction.
is the J Costa variator worth buying? I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 6:02 am

» Temperature Gauge Norm
is the J Costa variator worth buying? I_icon_minitimeby Slugg Yesterday at 2:05 am

» Hello from North Florida
is the J Costa variator worth buying? I_icon_minitimeby landisr Thu Jul 25, 2024 7:25 pm

» Radiator Removal
is the J Costa variator worth buying? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Thu Jul 25, 2024 6:31 am

» Crumpled...........
is the J Costa variator worth buying? I_icon_minitimeby KurtPerthWA Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:46 pm

» Parting out 2004 Silverwing 600
is the J Costa variator worth buying? I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:18 pm

» Stator wire gauge
is the J Costa variator worth buying? I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:54 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

is the J Costa variator worth buying?

Go down 
+6
Atlanticfun
MaxB
dspevack
teamaster
JeffR
tankyuong
10 posters
AuthorMessage
tankyuong
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
tankyuong

Number of posts : 475
Registration date : 2009-07-12

is the J Costa variator worth buying? Empty
PostSubject: is the J Costa variator worth buying?   is the J Costa variator worth buying? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 29, 2009 12:11 am

Is there a dramatic difference with it?
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2600
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: is the J Costa variator worth buying?   is the J Costa variator worth buying? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 29, 2009 12:21 am

tank,

I thought there was a big difference between the stock variator and the J. Costa. I now run the 28g Dr Pulley sliders, which cost about $60, and I find an improvement over the stock rollers. But I hear that if you install the 22gr sliders that they make a big difference at less then the J. Costa. But I have to think there is nothing like the J. costa. I'm sure I will buy new pins for it and then re-install the Costa. It really makes the Swing fun to ride.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com

PostSubject: Re: is the J Costa variator worth buying?   is the J Costa variator worth buying? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 29, 2009 2:51 am

tankyuong wrote:

Well, it really comes down to what sort of difference you mean is the J Costa variator worth buying? Icon_neutral . If you mean off the line speed, I'd have to say yes it makes a difference. If you mean mpg, I'd say it certainly is not detrimental since I get 51 to 53 mpg now at mostly 70- 75 mph., but don't really know whether it is due to the J Costa or simply "wearing in the engine", now that it has about 10,000 miles on it. At hiway speeds the Costa definitely provides more throttle response for passing, but since there is also an after market pipe in my case, I can't give all the credit to any one improvement. is the J Costa variator worth buying? Icon_wink
Back to top Go down
teamaster
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 11

PostSubject: Re: is the J Costa variator worth buying?   is the J Costa variator worth buying? I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2009 9:20 pm

I don't really know about the difference it may make in the Silverwing. But from what I know there are quite a few others on Totalruckus that has installed the JCosta on their Big Rucks. According to them it has made a world of difference in their scooters. But you are talking about a 250cc scoot, and every little bit helps.
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: is the J Costa variator worth buying?   is the J Costa variator worth buying? I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2009 11:03 pm

I tried both the Malossi Variator and the J. Costa.
J. Costa is much better.
Smoother and wider power curve.

Dan
Back to top Go down
MaxB
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
MaxB

Number of posts : 302
Registration date : 2009-10-06

PostSubject: Re: is the J Costa variator worth buying?   is the J Costa variator worth buying? I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2009 11:47 pm

JeffR wrote:
tank,

I thought there was a big difference between the stock variator and the J. Costa. I now run the 28g Dr Pulley sliders, which cost about $60, and I find an improvement over the stock rollers. But I hear that if you install the 22gr sliders that they make a big difference at less then the J. Costa. But I have to think there is nothing like the J. costa. I'm sure I will buy new pins for it and then re-install the Costa. It really makes the Swing fun to ride.

I have ordered some 28 gr. sliders. you mentioned running 22 gr. sliders. Hmmm do you know that 6 28gr. (168gr. total) is just about the same as 8 22gr. sliders (176gr total). Hmmm.....
I did the kmod on the reflex using only 3 rollers instead of the six. Could this be done for a quick comparison at no cost????

Whatcha think JeffR????????

maxB (who likes power)
Back to top Go down
Atlanticfun
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2009-10-22

PostSubject: Re: is the J Costa variator worth buying?   is the J Costa variator worth buying? I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 31, 2009 12:19 am

It doesn't have even force being applied across the push side. But it should work for a while. I may also cause some vibration, I would think.

I ran a costa, molassi rollers, and dr pulley slides, on my atlantic 500 and the costa is the fastest you can get. It produces power by allowing you to rev higher, both off the line, and all the way through the power band. It is truely interesting how at highway speeds it settles back and allows for good fuel mieage.

I would say it depends what you want to due. What driving style you have.
Back to top Go down
MaxB
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
MaxB

Number of posts : 302
Registration date : 2009-10-06

PostSubject: Re: is the J Costa variator worth buying?   is the J Costa variator worth buying? I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 31, 2009 10:27 am

Ya know, I didn't think the 6 roller thing through.

It is not the total weight of the combined rollers , all by itself. It also involves individual roller weight. A lighter roller will give keep it in higher revs longer , but also heavier will open the pulleys slower. it has to due with centrifugal force and weight.
I surmise that 6 rollers will keep the revs up a bit. but not have the same rpm curve that lighter rollers will have. BUT they may have a less top end loss.

As far as vibration , I don't believe that 6 vs. 8 will have any significant effect. At least not measurable by the seat of the pants. As long as the 2 removed are symetrical (180 deg. apart).

MaxB (head hurts from thinkin and too many variables)
Back to top Go down
Bernardo
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Bernardo

Number of posts : 259
Registration date : 2008-12-25

PostSubject: Re: is the J Costa variator worth buying?   is the J Costa variator worth buying? I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 31, 2009 2:12 pm

tankyuong wrote:

There is a load of information here already on the J costa if you use the search engine...

https://www.silverwing600.com/silver-wing-accessories-modifications-f5/j-costa-variator-t8.htm?highlight=j+costa

But in short, yes it makes a significant difference to response, acceleration, and it is also a bit noiser, but in a good way....
Back to top Go down
tankyuong
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
tankyuong

PostSubject: Re: is the J Costa variator worth buying?   is the J Costa variator worth buying? I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 31, 2009 5:09 pm

How long do the pins last again? And is replacing them every year normal?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: is the J Costa variator worth buying?   is the J Costa variator worth buying? I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 31, 2009 5:17 pm

tankyuong wrote:
How long do the pins last again? And is replacing them every year normal?

Of course the life of the pins depend much on your riding style and mileage on the Variator. For example, I installed my Costa at 1600 miles on the clock. It now has a little over ten K. I have not pulled the cover to examine them, but notice no unusual performance or any unusual noises.
Back to top Go down
som2002
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
som2002

Number of posts : 120
Registration date : 2009-06-19

PostSubject: Re: is the J Costa variator worth buying?   is the J Costa variator worth buying? I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 31, 2009 10:07 pm

I love mine and would never go back to stock.
Back to top Go down
http://www.fquick.com/som2002
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: is the J Costa variator worth buying?   is the J Costa variator worth buying? I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 31, 2009 10:21 pm

I installed a J-Costa in my '08 back in June and it has worked great. The only thing is resetting the "V" light all the time. So now I just leave it on all the time.

DennisB
Back to top Go down
Bernardo
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Bernardo

PostSubject: Re: is the J Costa variator worth buying?   is the J Costa variator worth buying? I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 01, 2009 6:40 am

I think JeffR is the only one who has mentioned about changing the pins... But we all know that he rides like a hooligan!!! is the J Costa variator worth buying? Icon_lol

Only joking....! Though he does a fair few miles a year, more than the norm? Isn't that right Jeff?

I noticed a few months ago that my revs are a little higher now, which is indicative of a stretched belt.... Or I supposed worn rollers/pins. I have just ordered a new CVT drive belt and thus will get to have a look at the pins on mine... though I think have only done about 6k mileage if that, so should be OK... Will let you guys know....
Back to top Go down
Scooterian
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Scooterian

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: is the J Costa variator worth buying?   is the J Costa variator worth buying? I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 01, 2009 8:40 am

When I installed the J. Costa last spring, I noticed a significant reduction in vibration (and a bit more acceleration from a dead stop).
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2600
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: is the J Costa variator worth buying?   is the J Costa variator worth buying? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 02, 2009 1:18 am

Bernardo,

I do ride like a Holoigan sometimes and I rode like that a lot more when I had the J. Costa installed. It is so much fun with the additional performance it was tough to ride normal. I got about 9,000 miles for the pins and then they seemed to be worn down, but I did ride hard mostly. I noticed my rpm's increased about 200-300 with the worn pins. So I tried the Dr Pulley's but I'm going to replace the pins this winter. I'm curious what the power will be like with the J. Costa and my power commander, with Bill's (Honda_Silver) map in it.

If you only have 6,000 miles with the pins you should be fine. I probably could have gone a couple of thousand more but I don't push things like I did when I was younger. I also have 27,000 miles now with my SWing and I bought it in March of 2007 so I probably put more than normal on the bike. But I get to ride all winter too here.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
Bernardo
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Bernardo

PostSubject: Re: is the J Costa variator worth buying?   is the J Costa variator worth buying? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 02, 2009 3:32 am

JeffR wrote:
Bernardo,

I do ride like a Holoigan sometimes and I rode like that a lot more when I had the J. Costa installed. It is so much fun with the additional performance it was tough to ride normal. I got about 9,000 miles for the pins and then they seemed to be worn down, but I did ride hard mostly. I noticed my rpm's increased about 200-300 with the worn pins. So I tried the Dr Pulley's but I'm going to replace the pins this winter. I'm curious what the power will be like with the J. Costa and my power commander, with Bill's (Honda_Silver) map in it.

If you only have 6,000 miles with the pins you should be fine. I probably could have gone a couple of thousand more but I don't push things like I did when I was younger. I also have 27,000 miles now with my SWing and I bought it in March of 2007 so I probably put more than normal on the bike. But I get to ride all winter too here.

Hi Jeff,

Yeap I agree that the J Costa does change the whole scoots demeanour, and you do tend to ride faster.... Besides the added performance, I think it is also down to the J Costa being a bit noisier. I remember that I had the J costa and then got the power commander.... (it was only after those that I got the exhaust changed and the scoot dynoed....) Initially with the J costa and the Power Commander (and stock exhaust) although a little better in performance and super smooth, the scoot felt almost too smooth and not as exciting to ride.... Similar feel to years ago to when I first rode a Pan European having just got off my BMW K100RT..... The Pan although smooth and sublime had all the characteristics of an electric motor... bland...... (just my opinion, its still a great bike, but not my cup of tea, so no offence to Pan supporters!) So too, although with slightly better perfromance for the PC my S'wing felt that way..... But the scorpion exhaust changed all that... With that installed, came a bit more performance again and a whole new load of attitude.... louder and much more fun .......

The hyperpro front springs was the final touch, and again a big difference to the scoot... That coupled with my tyre setup, and my S'wing feels completely different now from how it was as stock....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: is the J Costa variator worth buying?   is the J Costa variator worth buying? I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 07, 2009 9:02 am

I guess I am the naysayer. After reading so many glowing things about the J Costa on various forums I spent the money and had one installed. Maybe I just expected too much but I was not sure if I noticed ANY difference at all. It did seem a bit quicker from a stop, but maybe that is wishful thinking after spending several hundred dollars. The J Costa variator certainly didn't adversely affect the SW, but I can't honestly say it improved the ride either. (My SW is the '07 ABS.)
Back to top Go down
tankyuong
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
tankyuong

PostSubject: Re: is the J Costa variator worth buying?   is the J Costa variator worth buying? I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 07, 2009 12:50 pm

vito wrote:
I guess I am the naysayer. After reading so many glowing things about the J Costa on various forums I spent the money and had one installed. Maybe I just expected too much but I was not sure if I noticed ANY difference at all. It did seem a bit quicker from a stop, but maybe that is wishful thinking after spending several hundred dollars. The J Costa variator certainly didn't adversely affect the SW, but I can't honestly say it improved the ride either. (My SW is the '07 ABS.)
I weigh only 135 lbs and I definitely notice a difference.
Back to top Go down

is the J Costa variator worth buying?
Page 1 of 1