Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New to Me Swing
Honda Scoot 750? I_icon_minitimeby john grinsel Today at 5:41 pm

» I said Farewell...
Honda Scoot 750? I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Today at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Honda Scoot 750? I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Honda Scoot 750? I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Honda Scoot 750? I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Honda Scoot 750? I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Honda Scoot 750? I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Honda Scoot 750? I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Honda Scoot 750? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Honda Scoot 750? I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Honda Scoot 750?

Go down 
+8
steve_h80
john grinsel
GHM-PM
Meldrew
exavid
E.D.
gremlin
Pastor Ron
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Pastor Ron
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 400
Registration date : 2013-02-24

Honda Scoot 750? Empty
PostSubject: Honda Scoot 750?   Honda Scoot 750? I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 18, 2017 7:45 pm

I just came back from my local Honda dealer and one of the salesman advised me that he heard of a new Honda scooter coming out that was a 750....anyone heard of this?
Back to top Go down
gremlin
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
gremlin

Number of posts : 227
Registration date : 2015-04-09

Honda Scoot 750? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Honda Scoot 750?   Honda Scoot 750? I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 18, 2017 10:10 pm

I hope it is not this adventure scooter: http://www.hondaprokevin.com/new-2017-honda-motorcycles-scooters-x-adv-adventure-model-news-update-video
Back to top Go down
E.D.
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
E.D.

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2016-05-29

Honda Scoot 750? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Honda Scoot 750?   Honda Scoot 750? I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 18, 2017 11:26 pm

I saw the news about the new "Adventure Scooter", but to me it's not much of a scooter, as it is not a step through design. I ride a scooter because of the step thru design, as I can't get my bad legs up high enough over the seat on a motorcycle. Are they trying to change the definition of scooter? Scooter to me has always meant step through with automatic transmission. Nowadays, things get more cornfuzed!
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

Honda Scoot 750? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Honda Scoot 750?   Honda Scoot 750? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 19, 2017 1:16 am

Chain drive is bad enough but spoked wheels? Do they have some magic way to seal them or does it mean going back to inner tubes? Either one of those would be a deal killer for me. Looks like the storage is a bit minimal. The cut away front fender looks designed to throw dirt and gravel at the front of the machine. Nope, I'll stay BMW for a while longer at least until my GT gives me a serious problem.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4176
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Honda Scoot 750? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Honda Scoot 750?   Honda Scoot 750? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 19, 2017 4:29 am

Are you really so uninformed about tubeless tyres on modern wire spoked wheels? They've been a standard feature on most adventure bikes for at least the last 25 years. I had them on a couple of air cooled BMW GS's I owned back in the early 1990’s, when that genre of bike were simply known as 'big trailies'.

The spokes are laced to the side of the wheel rim, not the centre like traditional spoked wheels. Honda use the same style of tubeless spoked wheels on their Africa Twin and so do other motorcycle manufacturers.

The Honda X-ADV is also an 850 not a 750, and it does have chain drive but so do plenty of other ADV bikes, the current BMW GS 800 and the Triumph Explorer range are just two examples. After reading plenty of forum posts over the year, chain drive only seems to be a problem for scooter riders who have never owned  a motorcycle and are clueless about basic chain maintenance.

I'm not a big fan of the Honda X-ADV 850, I looked at one and had a seat on the one on display at a bike show late last year. The concept and styling isn't for everyone, I liked the multi function display panel and not much else. If I wanted an adventure bike I'd buy the much lighter and user friendly new Suzuki V-Strom 250 kitted out with panniers and top box, and a can of chain lube!   Smile

As for the cutaway front mudguard/fender throwing up dirt and gravel over the front of the bike, I don't think the target rider Honda had in mind for this adventure scooter are old blokes in their 60’s and 70's going off road with something that weighs more than their Silver Wings and C650 GT's
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2555
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Honda Scoot 750? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Honda Scoot 750?   Honda Scoot 750? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 19, 2017 9:28 am

I for one have owned loads of bikes with chain drive. Cleaning and adjusting them is a chore and no matter what kind of lube I used, the rear wheel always ends up looking like an oil drum... That said the maintenance is not hard (especially with a center stand LOL). The last drive belt I changed on my SWing cost me about $125.00 USD. A high quality chain can approach or exceed $100.00 USD.

Having the CVT belt and the shaft drive on my Goldwing has spoiled me, rather not go back to a chain... I have a friend that traded his Silver Wing for a CTX700, and while he loves the bike he whines a lot about the chain maintenance.

Each to his/her own.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3296
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Honda Scoot 750? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Honda Scoot 750?   Honda Scoot 750? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 19, 2017 10:39 am

I don't mind chain drive.....on cheap bikes....just lots of motor oil on chain....big mess but they and the big mess they make something to think about.

I like chain cases, best being MZ, had Maico Blizzard with tin case, several Hondas CD series, all better than chain flapping in the breeze. That said got 43,000 miles from OEM chain and sprockets on my GS500E Suzuki, cared for with motor oil that was easy to clean/wipe off bike

Liked chain oiler on HD big twins, rain, just turn up screw on oiler, chain stayed nice, I think my
Triumph Thunderbird had Oiler based on oil mist from primary chain case.

But at this point in life am not going looking for open chain bike.

Something I learned...don't like o ring chains....sprockets still need lube...something people tend to forget.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

Honda Scoot 750? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Honda Scoot 750?   Honda Scoot 750? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 19, 2017 2:20 pm

No I wasn't aware that spoked wheels now can have tubeless tires. That's probably because I've owned several bikes with spokes over the years and they all required inner tubes. Part of that is because the bikes I've owned over the past twenty five years didn't have spokes. I've owned several motorcycles with chains and want nothing more to do with them. I don't mind the chain drive in my GT scooter as it's running in an oil bath in an enclosed environment and needs minimal maintenance. However I still think a shaft drive is the superior way to drive motorcycles and scooters. Very little maintenance, no adjustments, extremely long life, silent and protected from dirt, mud, rain, road salt and any other environmental harm.
You can have the spokes, enjoy truing your wheels. You can have chain drive, possibly a steam powered scooter would meet your needs.
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 998
Registration date : 2016-05-15

Honda Scoot 750? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Honda Scoot 750?   Honda Scoot 750? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 19, 2017 2:50 pm

Tubes do make me nervous but most big traillies run tubless spoked wheels by various types of cunning design, bmw & yamaha have been doing it for years.
I suspect the 750 scooter refered to is either the new adv thingy or the existing intergra.
But they are bike based.
It's all getting confusing lol.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Honda Scoot 750? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Honda Scoot 750?   Honda Scoot 750? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 19, 2017 7:15 pm

exavid wrote:
You can have the spokes, enjoy truing your wheels. You can have chain drive, possibly a steam powered scooter would meet your needs.

Nothing wrong with spokes mate. never had to tighten one in over 20 years of riding bikes, and my only expense a couple of MZ wheels I had rebuilt with stainless steel spokes for winter corrosion resistance. MZ chains had front and rear sprockets covered and the chain had gaiters, so they ran clean and lasted thousands of miles. An inspection, lube, and occasional adjustment took 10 to 15 minutes tops with an Allen key and a couple of spanners from the tool kit.

An enclosed chain cover and gaiters set up almost identical to MZ's was used by the short lived British bespoke 2-stroke motorcycle manufacturer Silk in the 1970’s. I've no information that the MZ set up was ever bettered by other motorcycle manufacturers.

I'm puzzled why you'd say a steam powered scooter would suit my needs, as electric is the way to go these days. I've also been happy enough with the Silver Wing I've owned for the last six years or so. Thank you for your concern anyway, and how are you getting along with that Silver Wing of yours these days.  Smile

Last edited by Meldrew on Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Pastor Ron
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 400
Registration date : 2013-02-24

Honda Scoot 750? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Honda Scoot 750?   Honda Scoot 750? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 19, 2017 9:57 pm

I am with E.D.,
If I can not step through...it`s a mute point....I was interested in the 750 part....but not at the expense of step through.....with that being said, I have no idea of what this new product is at this time.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Honda Scoot 750? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Honda Scoot 750?   Honda Scoot 750? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 20, 2017 3:13 am

There is no 'new' Honda 750 scooter, there's the 750 Integra that's been around since 2014 which is a larger capacity version of the original Honda NC 700 Integra from 2012. In step through terms, neither version of the Integra tunnel is as easy as the Silver Wing for getting on and off.

The new for 2017 Honda X-ADV 850 Adventure Scooter continues that trend.

Last edited by Meldrew on Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Riggers
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2015-08-18

Honda Scoot 750? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Honda Scoot 750?   Honda Scoot 750? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 20, 2017 5:00 am

I for one would be interested in a new 750 scooter from Honda, but it would have to be on conventional scooter lines. Current machines won't last forever and for many the Integra is not a suitable alternative with its chain drive, lack of luggage space, large wheels and 'leg-over' mounting.

The Burgman 650 has been updated and is still manufactured but, having owned one, is such a tremendously heavy machine many (including me) can't cope with it.

A new Silverwing with a bit more power and improved handling would be most welcome.
Back to top Go down
dekare
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
dekare

Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2016-08-09

Honda Scoot 750? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Honda Scoot 750?   Honda Scoot 750? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 20, 2017 7:45 am

Riggers wrote:

A new Silverwing with a bit more power and improved handling would be most welcome.

When is enough power, enough? People want a tad more power, and then a tad more and pretty soon one is riding a 1800 cc. I feel the 600cc has all the power it needs, even at 2up.
Back to top Go down
Sidewinder Pilot
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Sidewinder Pilot

Number of posts : 200
Registration date : 2015-05-21

Honda Scoot 750? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Honda Scoot 750?   Honda Scoot 750? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 20, 2017 8:45 am

I have to agree, for riders that transitioned to scooter from a standard, the power deliver is "different", and sometimes you think you need more. In reality the SW gives all you actually need, you just "want" more.

The SW was engineered to provide a comfortable and reliable riding experience to a wide range of riders, but if you fall at the upper or lower ends of the height/weight envelope, you may find it lacking.

These problems can all be solved with mods to specifically tailor that envelope.

If you're heavy, you can use lighter sliders, slightly stronger clutch springs and Hagon rear shocks
If you're light, you can use heavier sliders and leave the suspension alone.

If you have a big arse, or long legs, then change the seat, if you don't have a problem, no worries.

My main point is SW power is really enough, enough to get you in trouble.
Your main problems will be solved by tuning the CVT to your weight and ride style.
Honda created a One Size Fits All for riders that fall within the standard deviation.
...Some of us just happen to be outliers.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Honda Scoot 750? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Honda Scoot 750?   Honda Scoot 750? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 20, 2017 9:14 am

dekare wrote:
Riggers wrote:

When is enough power, enough? People want a tad more power, and then a tad more and pretty soon one is riding a 1800 cc. I feel the 600cc has all the power it needs, even at 2up.

600cc will develop enough power. It's the inherent efficiency loss of the CVT which fails to deliver the available power to the wheel.

Honda's DTC resolves that problem. Unfortunately the DTC is not an option for our Silverwings. Dr Pulley's HiT Clutch along with their variator sliding weights are the best option we have for dealing with that CVT inefficiency. Not that there is anything actually wrong with with the OEM set up, mind you.

Also for those of us who really tinker, or tailor as Sidewinder says above, Dr Pulley is coming out with a new redesigned variator for the Silverwing. DAMHIK

Tim

Last edited by Cosmic_Jumper on Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Riggers
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2015-08-18

Honda Scoot 750? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Honda Scoot 750?   Honda Scoot 750? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 20, 2017 9:21 am

dekare wrote:
Riggers wrote:

Perhaps I should have said 'a bit more relaxed power delivery'. I do find the S/W a tad 'buzzy' at the top end whereas a 750 might well take things a little more in its stride.

On the handling front I think the front short, cut off forks are hardly up to a machine capable of over 100mph and could do to be full length motorcycle forks.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not in any way running the S/W down as I find it a very capable machine indeed, but if Honda were to introduce a proper successor then I believe a 750cc twin could be a cracker.

Riggers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Honda Scoot 750? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Honda Scoot 750?   Honda Scoot 750? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Honda Scoot 750?
Page 1 of 1