Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Trike Riders! Stand up and be counted!
Air mixture screws  I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Today at 8:06 pm

» Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning
Air mixture screws  I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 2:50 pm

» Introduction.
Air mixture screws  I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 6:02 am

» Temperature Gauge Norm
Air mixture screws  I_icon_minitimeby Slugg Today at 2:05 am

» Hello from North Florida
Air mixture screws  I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 7:25 pm

» Radiator Removal
Air mixture screws  I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 6:31 am

» Crumpled...........
Air mixture screws  I_icon_minitimeby KurtPerthWA Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:46 pm

» Parting out 2004 Silverwing 600
Air mixture screws  I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:18 pm

» Stator wire gauge
Air mixture screws  I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:54 pm

» Overheat problem
Air mixture screws  I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:39 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Air mixture screws

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
micbusathens
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
micbusathens

Number of posts : 199
Registration date : 2012-04-05

Air mixture screws  Empty
PostSubject: Air mixture screws    Air mixture screws  I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 04, 2017 12:47 pm

Hello to all. Does anyone know or if is possiible to check his air mixture screws for turns out? Mine is a 2008 fjs 600 with catalyzer

Last edited by micbusathens on Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Air mixture screws    Air mixture screws  I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 04, 2017 1:24 pm

You need a manometer to adjust the air screws. Here is a YouTube video showing a simple DIY manometer using some plastic hose and a couple of empty bottles.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_WDF6glD5k

Tim
Back to top Go down
micbusathens
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
micbusathens

PostSubject: Re: Air mixture screws    Air mixture screws  I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 04, 2017 1:32 pm

I do have a Carbtune but I have lost the initial settings to start with. You can balalance both cylinders nomatter the number of turns out
Back to top Go down
Cookie
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Cookie

Number of posts : 233
Registration date : 2011-10-03

PostSubject: Re: Air mixture screws    Air mixture screws  I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 04, 2017 4:25 pm

Since it is fuel injected and thus doesn't have carburettors there aren't any air mixture screws to worry about. The ECU takes care of all that.
The only adjustments are the screws for synching or balancing the throttle openings in the two throttle bodies and the screw for adjusting the idle speed.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: Air mixture screws    Air mixture screws  I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 04, 2017 8:48 pm

micbusathens wrote:
I do have a Carbtune but I have lost the initial settings to start with. You can balalance both cylinders nomatter the number of turns out

If you are saying that the air mix screws (throttle opening balance screws) are completely out of whack and you would like to start over then you might want to carefully adjust those screws so that they are fully closed. Then back out each of the screws 1.5 turns, and adjust the idle screw so that you are at the proper idle rpm. After that hook up the manomoeter or Carbtune device and make the fine adjustments to the air screws from there.

Tim
Back to top Go down
micbusathens
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
micbusathens

PostSubject: Re: Air mixture screws    Air mixture screws  I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 04, 2017 10:03 pm

Τhats exactly what I ment Tim. Some say 1.5 others 1.45 or 2.00 even 3.00 turns out.Right now after a 2.00 turns as a start I ended with half turn minus as a difference (2, and 1.5)for fine tuning. My SW doesn't seems so happy though. It doesn't like top ends like before and consumption is higher . Thats why I'm asking to check yours. Anyway, you can achieve balance even with half of a turn out with higher setting at the idle screw.

Cheers,
Michael
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: Air mixture screws    Air mixture screws  I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 04, 2017 10:47 pm

IIRC the air adjustment screws don't effect the high rpm operation of the S'Wing. The fuel injectors and the ECU take care of that. The air screws effect the low rpm operation and idle balance of the throttle body.

Have you checked the air filter and spark plugs?

Tim
Back to top Go down
micbusathens
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
micbusathens

PostSubject: Re: Air mixture screws    Air mixture screws  I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 05, 2017 1:07 am

Τhere's no kind of hesitation or caugh. Sparks and filter are ok. Problem with exess consumption and top speed arrised  after balancing and loss of the initial setting. I disturbed the setting just because after several tunings through the years I couldn't decrease idle anymore.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: Air mixture screws    Air mixture screws  I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 05, 2017 11:46 am

micbusathens wrote:
<>I disturbed the setting just because after several tunings through the years I couldn't decrease idle anymore.

Silverwings just aren't known for having the type of problems you are experiencing. Is this a gradual deterioration or something that suddenly appeared? What kind of "tunings" have you done?

Have you checked the cylinder compression?

Possibly it is nothing more than a bad fuel pressure regulator (FPR).

Tim

Back to top Go down
micbusathens
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
micbusathens

PostSubject: Re: Air mixture screws    Air mixture screws  I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 05, 2017 11:59 am

Sorry.Tunings = fine balance adjustment.If you have a faulty FPR then your bike won't start.Isn't so ? Never had that issue.Starts fine.If now a faulty regulator deteriorates engine output then I might have a look.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: Air mixture screws    Air mixture screws  I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 05, 2017 12:49 pm

A faulty FPR will certainly contribute to a deterioration in engine performance.

If the FPR isn't delivering the required fuel pressure (~50 lbs psi) to the fuel injectors then the engine will still operate at low rpm (because it is still getting some fuel) but not deliver the required amount of pressurized fuel to operate at high rpm.
Back to top Go down
NWSSC
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
NWSSC

Number of posts : 418
Registration date : 2010-03-03

PostSubject: Air mixture screws    Air mixture screws  I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 05, 2017 2:45 pm

Drive ability problems are one of the worst,especially from a distance.I sounds that your first concern was a higher than normal idle. One of the down sides of the S/W ECU system is that it is not truly a closed system. If it were the PROM in the ECU system would maintain the proper no mater what you would do and it would not even have a idle adjustment screw. One area of concern would be a vacuum leak ie in the FPR and this could raise the idle and perhaps loss of top speed. I never experienced this but there is always the first time. Are there any codes or did you ever have a check engine lite come on. Let us know it will be interesting. Howard
Back to top Go down
http://www.northwestsuburbanscooterclub.com/
micbusathens
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
micbusathens

PostSubject: Re: Air mixture screws    Air mixture screws  I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 05, 2017 3:06 pm

No idle raise no leaks no codes.I'll buy a new regulator maybe.Now as I remembered all these changed suddenly after a change of tyres to Bridgestone SC's.These tires had somehow larger outer diameter as right after the change, SW was leaning more at the kick stand.So less top speed and less milage indication at the odo.Could be that I dont know.Anyway I'll let you know about the outcome
Back to top Go down
micbusathens
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
micbusathens

PostSubject: Re: Air mixture screws    Air mixture screws  I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 05, 2017 10:46 pm

Forget the idle issue. Right now is ok. All I said is that I had to start again with the initial setting because after numerous adjustments for balancing through the years  I reached to a point where I couldn't decrease idle anymore. This can happen. If you open intake butterflies enough through the two adjusting screws its impossible to decrease idle after a point.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: Air mixture screws    Air mixture screws  I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 06, 2017 8:52 am

Boy, this kind of got off on a tangent. Thanks for the clarification, Michael. I hope that you get your idle speed back once those air screws are sorted.

Tim
Back to top Go down

Air mixture screws
Page 1 of 1