Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Sinko De Mayo
Riding- not much being done right now I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 3:33 pm

» May 2024 forum picture
Riding- not much being done right now I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Today at 10:44 am

» checking the oil
Riding- not much being done right now I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:13 pm

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Riding- not much being done right now I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Riding- not much being done right now I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Riding- not much being done right now I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Riding- not much being done right now I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Riding- not much being done right now I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:28 am

» Silver Wing for sale - UK
Riding- not much being done right now I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:15 am

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Riding- not much being done right now I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:54 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Riding- not much being done right now

Go down 
+4
Meldrew
Cosmic_Jumper
gremlin
john grinsel
8 posters
AuthorMessage
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3298
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Riding- not much being done right now Empty
PostSubject: Riding- not much being done right now   Riding- not much being done right now I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 15, 2017 2:19 pm

I think right now not much SilverWing riding being done in at least in the northern part of the world, winter being what is going on, but aging rider population and aging Silverwings are factors, too.

How about the southern half of the world where it is summer?

Where I live there are at least 360 days of riding, the other 5 shut down by snow/ice storms.

I use my Scooter daily for shopping, etc, regardless of temperature, only ice and salted roads stop me....planning on ride to Atlanta to look at new Vespa and another to Columbus MS to look at houses, medical, etc.But this summer, 49 states again and hopefully all Canadian prov. Cost with SilverWing=2 rear tires, one drive belt, plus reg oil/filter changes. Cost on road about $100 a day if I use cheap motels, $50 if I find free or cheap camping.

Bike will have passed the 50,000 miles I like to keep them, but will be ok.

Now of course, thinking of next scooter----I need lighter (my age). Vespa, expensive and no strong dealer network.Honda Forza would work, but no 2017 models----Kymco People GTI300 possible for me=cheap, reliable, I think with right windshield, buffet free ride, but small gas tank, rather limited underseat storage.

Dog goes with me, riding in Givi E46 box---good alarm when sleeping outside.

I don't want to get third new SilverWing, even though there seems to be plenty of new left overs available---bike, loaded for touring is getting too heavy for me, especially at low parking lot speeds. But SilverWing has been ok bike for me, just lacking some of the Burgman 400 features (so far I see Suzuki bringing no 2017 Burgman 400's to US) and Burgman 400 is way over priced.

Bottom line: Riding is Fun!....and can be cold/wet with wrong clothes/boots.
Back to top Go down
gremlin
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
gremlin

Number of posts : 227
Registration date : 2015-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Riding- not much being done right now   Riding- not much being done right now I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 15, 2017 2:43 pm

John, if you are looking for a lighter scooter with a good power / weight ratio, I recommend to have a look at the Piaggio Beverly 350. It has big wheels, a fabulous engine, good storage space and the fuel tank in the right place. And the weight is substantially lower than that of the Swing. For anyone doing long distances that makes it a better choice than the large Vespas.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Riding- not much being done right now   Riding- not much being done right now I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 15, 2017 4:04 pm

Mr Grinsel, Other than fuel economy, what are the features of the Burgy 400 that are lacking on the Silverwing?

Tim
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Riding- not much being done right now   Riding- not much being done right now I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 15, 2017 4:07 pm

Piaggio/Vespa in US/ N. America not good deal------weak dealer network/Italian parts service/ and how reliable are they? Japanese stuff better/Kymco from Taiwan ok, too. Had 4 Vespas in past.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Riding- not much being done right now   Riding- not much being done right now I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 15, 2017 4:11 pm

Burgman 400 while still heavy/overweight lighter by 100lbs or so.., has electric plug in/outside temp/fuel average display maybe cheaper to insure-----had 2 new ones.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4178
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Riding- not much being done right now   Riding- not much being done right now I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 15, 2017 10:09 pm

The subject of Mr Grinsel's next scoot seems to be an annual topic. I think the answer is simple, when advancing years, declining physical strength, ATGATT etc gets to be a problem, give up riding and get a small car to do the 49 states tours.

There's a couple of nice small Chevrolet hatchbacks/sedans or whatever you call them in the US that would be well suited to the job. Weather is less of a problem as there's heat, air con, windshield wiping, and demisting on demand. You carry more stuff or camping gear, both driver and dog can nap in comfort, pee into a plastic container inside the car to avoid the dubious Tennessee bathrooms, and you have better headlights and more rubber on the road. Smile
Back to top Go down
Jolly Bodger
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2016-10-05

PostSubject: Re: Riding- not much being done right now   Riding- not much being done right now I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 16, 2017 1:00 am

Meldrew wrote:
The subject of Mr Grinsel's next scoot seems to be an annual topic. I think the answer is simple, when advancing years, declining physical strength, ATGATT etc gets to be a problem, give up riding and get a small car to do the 49 states tours.

There's a couple of nice small Chevrolet hatchbacks/sedans or whatever you call them in the US that would be well suited to the job. Weather is less of a problem as there's heat, air con, windshield wiping, and demisting on demand. You carry more stuff or camping gear, both driver and dog can nap in comfort, pee into a plastic container inside the car to avoid the dubious Tennessee bathrooms, and you have better headlights and more rubber on the road. Smile

OK I'm convinced - Swing for sale Laughing

JB
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

PostSubject: Re: Riding- not much being done right now   Riding- not much being done right now I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 16, 2017 4:38 am

I don't know about anyone else but in my part of the country just now I am still going out every other day, covering about 200 mls a week. The bad weather just recently seems to have been worse in the south and east of England. Scotland as usual has the worst weather. As Meldrew says John has his yearly debate about what to buy next, most of us are happy with the Silver wing so John gives us something to read if nothing else.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Riding- not much being done right now   Riding- not much being done right now I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 16, 2017 8:41 am

Small cars I have had--Honda Beat, Toyota 800-S, Daihatsu 2 stroke 360 Shin Max, MG Midget, 2 Miatas, Fiat 850 &1100, Messerschmitt 3 wheel (2)----they are fun and have heaters but no sub for 2 wheels-----I am not yet at the point to give up bikes, everyday rider since 1955, had first ride, 1943 as small child.

One of my employees, last time, in Japan gave me 550cc Suzuki van----some Suzuki shop work, new tires---and big piece of plywood in back----with tire chains used it for ski trips as you could comfortably sleep in it. Due to then laws in Japan had speed limiter---beeped/buzzered you if 80-85kph was exceeded.
Back to top Go down
Modernman1953
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 379
Registration date : 2016-06-01

PostSubject: Re: Riding- not much being done right now   Riding- not much being done right now I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 17, 2017 1:48 am

Rode for 75 miles in the Seattle area on Sunday. Been cold and rainy this winter though.
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 998
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Riding- not much being done right now   Riding- not much being done right now I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 17, 2017 3:34 pm

You've had some interesting cars John.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Riding- not much being done right now   Riding- not much being done right now I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Riding- not much being done right now
Page 1 of 1