Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Rear shock longevity
Maybe new owner (engine replacement)  I_icon_minitimeby dovahkiin Yesterday at 10:55 pm

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Maybe new owner (engine replacement)  I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
Maybe new owner (engine replacement)  I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks
Maybe new owner (engine replacement)  I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Maybe new owner (engine replacement)  I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Maybe new owner (engine replacement)  I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Maybe new owner (engine replacement)  I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Maybe new owner (engine replacement)  I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Maybe new owner (engine replacement)  I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:16 pm

» Greetings From 'Phoenix'
Maybe new owner (engine replacement)  I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:07 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Maybe new owner (engine replacement)

Go down 
+4
Cookie
john grinsel
Cosmic_Jumper
Kennylxix
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Kennylxix
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 156
Registration date : 2016-11-05

Maybe new owner (engine replacement)  Empty
PostSubject: Maybe new owner (engine replacement)    Maybe new owner (engine replacement)  I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 05, 2016 11:09 pm

Hi guys. I may be getting an 03 sw tomorrow. The po hit a curb and ripped the center stand off punching a hole in the block in the process. I already have a replacement engine lined up.

I have a couple questions. I am a mechanic by trade but would like specific info on the engine/CVT removal process. I found a fsm online but it's in german:(

Does anyone have a removal process how to available?
Is there an English fsm online?
Are the engines for all years the same (the donor is an 02)?

Im pretty excited about this bike. I'm a long time motorcycle rider and have been interested in trying a big scoot for a while.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Maybe new owner (engine replacement)    Maybe new owner (engine replacement)  I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 05, 2016 11:32 pm

Welcome to the forum Kenny. Thanks for your Introduction.

Mechanically the engines and drive trail are all the same. There was an ECU change in 2008 which remapping the FI and ignition and also added an O2 sensor in the muffler connection. Get the latest version of the FSM that you can find on Ebay, but nothing wrong with an '03 book if the price is right and that's the SWing you buy.

Sorry I can't help with info on pulling the engine other than to say that the engine, belt case and final drive will all come off as one unit. Best to break loose the axle nut (100+ ft lbs) and probably the variator bolt (75 ft lbs) while the scoot has both wheels on the floor. 

Ultimately you'll probably need to remove all the rear body panels as well as the tunnel cover. Just keep track of which screw/bolt goes in which location --it can become damn confusing weeks later when you try to put the toothpaste back in the tube.

Tim
Back to top Go down
Kennylxix
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Maybe new owner (engine replacement)    Maybe new owner (engine replacement)  I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 05, 2016 11:40 pm

Well I'm hoping this will be a one day job. I can swap an engine on a Civic in half a day so it shouldn't be too bad. I

It may be a no go. I just found out the rear wheel is damaged and it looks like a decent one off ebay is hundreds of dollars and I'm not sure I want to invest that kind of money
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3294
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Maybe new owner (engine replacement)    Maybe new owner (engine replacement)  I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2016 6:14 am

I think engine change is possible----invest money in service manual first---they sometimes answer questions.

Investing money/time/effort in 13 year old scooter, questionable in my mind----besides engine there may be other things that need attention
Back to top Go down
Cookie
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Cookie

Number of posts : 233
Registration date : 2011-10-03

PostSubject: Re: Maybe new owner (engine replacement)    Maybe new owner (engine replacement)  I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2016 8:33 am

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:

--it can become damn confusing weeks later when you try to put the toothpaste back in the tube.
Tim

Excellent comment Tim... and so true when putting things together after a few days!
Back to top Go down
Kennylxix
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Maybe new owner (engine replacement)    Maybe new owner (engine replacement)  I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2016 8:36 am

Yeah I'm actually leaning the direction of passing on this I have a line on a basically perfect 06 berg 400 and even though having a 600 is "cooler" I'm starting to think my time could be better invested elsewhere.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: Maybe new owner (engine replacement)    Maybe new owner (engine replacement)  I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2016 12:04 pm

Nothing wrong with a 400 Burgy. Plenty capable of freeway speeds and good fuel economy too.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Maybe new owner (engine replacement)    Maybe new owner (engine replacement)  I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2016 10:15 pm

Cookie wrote:
Cosmic_Jumper wrote:

--it can become damn confusing weeks later when you try to put the toothpaste back in the tube.
Tim

Excellent comment Tim... and so true when putting things together after a few days!

A TIP:
When dismantling equipment with many different kinds/sizes/threads I use Ziploc snack bags and label them for easy assembly. Not just bolts/screws. I keep rockers and rocker ball, and other small parts. I use the bags to separate head bolts, manifold bolts, etc. Makes assembly sooooo easy. No second guessing. That my tip of the day.

Back to top Go down
Kennylxix
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Maybe new owner (engine replacement)    Maybe new owner (engine replacement)  I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2016 10:30 pm

Very good advice. I'm a professional mechanic so so compared to pulling an engine on a car this should be pretty straightforward. I think I'm going to go for it. There's nothing in the world I love more than taking something broken and forlorn and making it good again.
Back to top Go down
Kennylxix
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Maybe new owner (engine replacement)    Maybe new owner (engine replacement)  I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 08, 2016 5:42 pm

BTW I now have the fsm as a pdf. Does anyone want it?
Back to top Go down
janitorj1
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2014-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Maybe new owner (engine replacement)    Maybe new owner (engine replacement)  I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 08, 2016 5:58 pm

Sure, I have a hard copy but "browsing" a PDF would be nice. I didn't "bet" on your getting this done in one day - but you seemed determined. janitorj1@gmail.com and thank you.....
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Maybe new owner (engine replacement)    Maybe new owner (engine replacement)  I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2016 1:13 pm

cheers better 26 baggies than thinking a few days later WTHDTG, a digital camera has been a god send a time or two AND this site.
Back to top Go down
Kennylxix
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Maybe new owner (engine replacement)    Maybe new owner (engine replacement)  I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2016 1:15 pm

For sure. I'm actually pretty stoked about how active this site seems to be. Most "enthusiast" forums I join are all, but dead.
Back to top Go down
Reg
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Reg

Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2016-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Maybe new owner (engine replacement)    Maybe new owner (engine replacement)  I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 12, 2016 4:50 pm

Kennylxix wrote:
Ok so a quick RTFF and I think I'm just being paranoid. I also think the vibration is being accentuated by the fact that the PO laid it down and quite a few plastic bits are broken.   It's certainly smoother than a lot of motorcycles I've ridden.

I also notice a little wonkiness at turn in but I'll reserve judgment on that one until I'm no longer riding on 10 year old bald tires:)  (no I'm not riding on the road until I replace them)

When I got my Swing in August at 13,000km it still had the original Hoops. The rear was getting worn kind of square.
On corners it felt like there was something wrong with the front end. The front seals started leaking and I thought that was it. Got them change and with new oil front felt a bit stiffer. But the feeling was still ther. Finally at 16,000km there rear was done and I changed it. Now the front end feeling is gone.
Also I have found that the SW works better with a bit more air in the tire. I now have 36 rear and 32 front.
Back to top Go down
Kennylxix
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Maybe new owner (engine replacement)    Maybe new owner (engine replacement)  I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 12, 2016 5:26 pm

Yeah the current rear is squared off pretty badly and both front and rear are hard as a rock. New tires will be a priority:)
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: Maybe new owner (engine replacement)    Maybe new owner (engine replacement)  I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 14, 2016 9:45 pm

Given your successful engine transplant I've split this topic.

See: Engine Replacement (was Maybe New Owner).

Tim
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Maybe new owner (engine replacement)    Maybe new owner (engine replacement)  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Maybe new owner (engine replacement)
Page 1 of 1