Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» OE Quality Drive Belt
Instrument panel replacement. I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Instrument panel replacement. I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» New to Me Swing
Instrument panel replacement. I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 10:56 am

» I said Farewell...
Instrument panel replacement. I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:52 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Instrument panel replacement. I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Instrument panel replacement. I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Instrument panel replacement. I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Instrument panel replacement. I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Instrument panel replacement. I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Instrument panel replacement. I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Instrument panel replacement.

Go down 
+2
Cosmic_Jumper
creeksidemonkey
6 posters
AuthorMessage
creeksidemonkey
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2011-05-28

Instrument panel replacement. Empty
PostSubject: Instrument panel replacement.   Instrument panel replacement. I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 31, 2016 8:57 pm

Recently had a fire ant infestation of my SW instrument panel. Dismantled and cleaned out panel as best I could but now after short ride panel will go crazy and sometimes go blank. As long as SW running it's ok. Once turned off, battery will be dead and SW will not start. After recharge, it will start and run fine until switching off. Battery one year old. Any suggestions for replacement purchase site for instrument panel?
I have seen prices in $380 - $490 range. That about right?

***Warning to Southeast USA SWingers.*** SW had only sat 4 days since last ridden in driveway with no visible ant mounds in area. I do HVAC/electrical repair and have found them in every kind of electrical device. NEVER imagined this scenario!
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Instrument panel replacement.   Instrument panel replacement. I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 31, 2016 11:04 pm

I would insure that the charging system is operating before I purchased another Combination Meter. There are meter-test procedures outlined in the FSM for both the Stator and the Regulator/Rectifier.

Is it possible that whatever (chemical) you used to eradicate the ants may have caused short circuits on the Meter board or wire harness connections? Can you clean the board and connections with an electrical contact cleaner?
Back to top Go down
creeksidemonkey
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Instrument panel replacement.   Instrument panel replacement. I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 01, 2016 7:44 am

Used air pressure to clean panel, put panel in freezer overnight then used air pressure again. Immediately put in dryer on low heat to remove any condensate. Isolated panel for 5 days and used air pressure again.
Will check into electrical contact cleaner. FSM stands for?
Thanks much for the suggestions!
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 929
Registration date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Instrument panel replacement.   Instrument panel replacement. I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 01, 2016 7:52 am

FSM = Factory Service Manual
Back to top Go down
NWSSC
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
NWSSC

Number of posts : 418
Registration date : 2010-03-03

PostSubject: Instrument panel replacement.   Instrument panel replacement. I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 01, 2016 1:03 pm

Not sure if you think the instrument panel problem is related to the battery problem but I think it is highly improbable but more of a
coincidence. If the battery is only one year old you may have the same problem as before. As suggested have the charging system
checked out. I have only a limited experience with Fire Ants but you may have gone a little to fare to rid them. Instrument clusters can be sensitive to extreme temperatures. As the saying goes keep it simple. Keep us posted,it is going to be interesting. Howard
Back to top Go down
http://www.northwestsuburbanscooterclub.com/
Siataukreg
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Siataukreg

Number of posts : 221
Registration date : 2014-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Instrument panel replacement.   Instrument panel replacement. I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 01, 2016 8:21 pm

If you need a swing clock set non abs i have one that the outer black casing is broken due to being dropped the internals are all good showing 28k miles its from a 2003 scoot that i have broken up for parts UK scoot
Back to top Go down
creeksidemonkey
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Instrument panel replacement.   Instrument panel replacement. I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 01, 2016 8:28 pm

Thanks again for the tips, suggestions, info. Hope to address issue this weekend.
Where can you source an FSM?
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 929
Registration date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Instrument panel replacement.   Instrument panel replacement. I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2016 8:16 am

Honda dealers can order them. I got mine on eBay. Maybe Craigslist.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: Instrument panel replacement.   Instrument panel replacement. I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2016 8:26 am

creeksidemonkey wrote:
<>Where can you source an FSM?  
As sonuvabug suggested, Ebay. Here is a link to a recent discussion regarding FSM: https://www.silverwing600.com/t8595-workshop-service-manuals#95157
Back to top Go down
creeksidemonkey
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Instrument panel replacement.   Instrument panel replacement. I_icon_minitimeSat May 13, 2017 11:50 pm

Finally.
Got a fsm from Helm for $74 in February and took Howards/Cosmic Jumpers advice and checked out charging system per fsm. Swing would start and run fine after full charge and resting on Battery Tender but would only show 12.15 volts while idling and then start a slow drop in voltage until instrument panel would start acting up. Turn off ignition, swing wouldn't start. Put on Battery Tender for 3 days, start swing, same  result. Checked stator and meter indicated it  was bad ( dead short on all three leads). Ordered a new stator from Babbitt on line and finished install today. Meter showed 14.61 volts at idle for 10 minutes.  Rode to my daughters for supper and home (about 20 miles). No problems.
 I guess the fire ant invasion and stator death at same time was just  a coincidence. I can't see any reason for the two being connected? Is there?  (Had to replace a switch at a pool and an hvac contactor for two different clients this past week that had been shorted by fire ants)

Can't thank you guys enough for the advice!
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: Instrument panel replacement.   Instrument panel replacement. I_icon_minitimeSun May 14, 2017 7:37 am

Happy to hear that you've resolved the problem. But what measures can you take now to keep those fire ants from revisiting you Silverwing?

Tim
Back to top Go down
cliffyk
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
cliffyk

Number of posts : 182
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Instrument panel replacement.   Instrument panel replacement. I_icon_minitimeSun May 14, 2017 3:23 pm

creeksidemonkey wrote:
Finally.
Got a fsm from Helm for $74 in February and took Howards/Cosmic Jumpers advice and checked out charging system per fsm. Swing would start and run fine after full charge and resting on Battery Tender but would only show 12.15 volts while idling and then start a slow drop in voltage until instrument panel would start acting up. Turn off ignition, swing wouldn't start. Put on Battery Tender for 3 days, start swing, same  result. Checked stator and meter indicated it  was bad ( dead short on all three leads). Ordered a new stator from Babbitt on line and finished install today. Meter showed 14.61 volts at idle for 10 minutes.  Rode to my daughters for supper and home (about 20 miles). No problems.
 I guess the fire ant invasion and stator death at same time was just  a coincidence. I can't see any reason for the two being connected? Is there?  (Had to replace a switch at a pool and an hvac contactor for two different clients this past week that had been shorted by fire ants)

Can't thank you guys enough for the advice!

I had the same instrument cluster/engine stops behaviour with my '03 Burgman 400, pulling and re-inserting the main fuse reset everything 'til the next time--turned out to be a burned terminal in the starer solenoid/main fuse block assembly. The assembly was rigid mounted to the frame but the supply wire out to the harness was just floating about--spade connectors don't like vibration.

I wired in an inline 30 A fuse to bypass the fuse block main fuse:Instrument panel replacement. K3400MainFuseBypass-01

We have fire ants here in Saint Augustine, however just in the ground/rotting stumps/etc. I have not found them invading any equipment but will keep an eye out. They are nasty SOBs, I stuck my hand into a nest under my workshop while pulling a 240 V feed for a new welder--that was a couple months ago and just thinking about makes my hand burn and itch...

I get lizards in my well controls now and then--usually they just get cooked up and foul the contacts a bit.
Back to top Go down
creeksidemonkey
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Instrument panel replacement.   Instrument panel replacement. I_icon_minitimeSun May 14, 2017 8:05 pm

I use poisons sparingly but I put a 15 foot ring of death around the swing's parking spot. Amdro, Ortho powder/granules and topped them with Tractor Supply pyrethrum spray. We'll see.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Instrument panel replacement.   Instrument panel replacement. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Instrument panel replacement.
Page 1 of 1