Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Oil screen stuck
Anyone painted their Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeby Nolabel10935 Yesterday at 11:20 pm

» Trike Riders! Stand up and be counted!
Anyone painted their Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning
Anyone painted their Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 2:50 pm

» Introduction.
Anyone painted their Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 6:02 am

» Temperature Gauge Norm
Anyone painted their Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeby Slugg Yesterday at 2:05 am

» Hello from North Florida
Anyone painted their Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeby landisr Thu Jul 25, 2024 7:25 pm

» Radiator Removal
Anyone painted their Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Thu Jul 25, 2024 6:31 am

» Crumpled...........
Anyone painted their Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeby KurtPerthWA Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:46 pm

» Parting out 2004 Silverwing 600
Anyone painted their Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:18 pm

» Stator wire gauge
Anyone painted their Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:54 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Anyone painted their Silverwing?

Go down 
+4
sonuvabug
oldwingguy
Cosmic_Jumper
dekare
8 posters
AuthorMessage
dekare
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
dekare

Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2016-08-09

Anyone painted their Silverwing? Empty
PostSubject: Anyone painted their Silverwing?   Anyone painted their Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 16, 2016 9:52 am

I don't have alot invested in my Silverwing. It does have some scratches on some of the body parts. I thought about having it professionally repainted and doing a color change. Has anyone been down that path already? If so, did you take all the plastics off? Cost?
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Anyone painted their Silverwing?   Anyone painted their Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 16, 2016 7:14 pm

By all means, remove the tupperware yourself. That will give you the opportunity to repair any broken tabs or cracks (Plast-Aid is your friend http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.Xplast+aid.TRS0&_nkw=plast+aid&_sacat=0). It will also allow you to become familiar with the mystery bits of the Silverwing. You can't possibly expect a paint shop to remove the body panels without breaking something --let alone reassemble the jigsaw puzzle while jamming screws in the wrong location.

Tim
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Anyone painted their Silverwing?   Anyone painted their Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 17, 2016 8:29 am

There are two P's in painting Smile the most important is Preparation, correctly done you will spend a lot more time getting ready than you will actually applying paint. With the cost of paint getting it right the first time is the trick.
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 930
Registration date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Anyone painted their Silverwing?   Anyone painted their Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 17, 2016 9:04 am

Subscribing.  I too have some pretty big scarring from the previous owner who dropped it twice (once on either side of course).  This SWing was her first "two wheeler" ... just too much machine for her to handle.  She retired from riding after her second booboo.

I agree 100% with the comments above that proper paint preparation is the key.  I also have broken tabs and bits that need to be repaired or replaced so I want to take it apart and go over it with a fine-tooth comb.  

After preparation, was thinking of painting it myself (rattle can) and I realize this needs a "thin", steady hand and lots of patience.  I should add ... I'm pretty good with rattle cans and have literally painted hundreds of gallons (brush and roller) in my time.  I'm a very exacting, fussy painter.

Has anyone tried the rattle can approach?  How did it turn out?  Tips & do's and don'ts?

Last edited by sonuvabug on Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Anyone painted their Silverwing?   Anyone painted their Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 17, 2016 9:11 am

I have but mostly tractor parts and DIY projects never a bike or auto. Lucky for me a friend has his own business and the big P came from him. The hardest part is the last, keeping dust off so a good tack rag as you paint can come in handy.
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

PostSubject: Re: Anyone painted their Silverwing?   Anyone painted their Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 17, 2016 9:17 am

oldwingguy wrote:
I have but mostly tractor parts and DIY projects never a bike or auto. Lucky for me a friend has his own business and the big P came from him. The hardest part is the last, keeping dust off so a good tack rag as you  paint can come in handy.  

I agree. It's like furniture refinishing or trim staining & sealing, it need to be 100% dust/lint/dirt free or it'll show like crazy once the clear coat goes on.
Back to top Go down
Pappajack44
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2016-07-31

PostSubject: Re: Anyone painted their Silverwing?   Anyone painted their Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 17, 2016 1:36 pm

Invest in the service manual that can be bought on line. It has diagrams of removal of all the plastic parts. Be very gentle and use a very bright light to see behind things before you pull. Good luck and ride safe.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Anyone painted their Silverwing?   Anyone painted their Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 17, 2016 6:12 pm

I'd recommend you try it on a part (the front fender is easy to remove) and see how it works for you. If you like the results continue on the rest of the bike's pieces. If not you only have one part that can be easily cleaned off while the paint is only a few days old.
I've seen some pretty decent rattle can paint jobs so they can be done. The hardest part is a clear coat using a rattle can. But patience and cleanliness as well as applications of rubbing compound can result in a nice looking job.
The rattle can pain won't be as hard or as long lasting as a professional two part poly job but one can always redo what needs to be redone later.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1013
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Anyone painted their Silverwing?   Anyone painted their Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 17, 2016 10:57 pm

sonuvabug wrote:
Subscribing.  I too have some pretty big scarring from the previous owner who dropped it twice (once on either side of course).  This SWing was her first "two wheeler" ... just too much machine for her to handle.  She retired from riding after her second booboo.

I agree 100% with the comments above that proper paint preparation is the key.  I also have broken tabs and bits that need to be repaired or replaced so I want to take it apart and go over it with a fine-tooth comb.  

After preparation, was thinking of painting it myself (rattle can) and I realize this needs a "thin", steady hand and lots of patience.  I should add ... I'm pretty good with rattle cans and have literally painted hundreds of gallons (brush and roller) in my time.  I'm a very exacting, fussy painter.

Has anyone tried the rattle can approach?  How did it turn out?  Tips & do's and don'ts?

Painting involves a lot of time in preparing the pieces. I have done side covers and lower side covers from my Swing with the "RATTLE CAN". I usually spray two color coats of Rustoleum plastic paint, then four coats of clear plastic. Follow the drying instructions on the can. I apply four coats of clear because if you site down the length of the piece, you will notice a lemon peel surface effect that needs to be sanded down. Let it fully dry before continuing. I start with 800 grit wet sanding until all the lemon peel is gone. Careful when sanding the high points. You do not want to sand through the clear and color coat. Wash and dry the piece. Now lightly sand with a 1000 grit wet sanding until the whole piece is sanded. Wash and dry, then lightly sand with 1500 grit wet sanding. Wash/dry then lightly sand with 2000 grit wet sanding. What you are attempting with the 800 grit is to remove the lemon peel. Each subsequent finer sanding is to remove the scratches the prior grit left on the clear coat. After sanding with the 2000 grit I hand buff with Meguiar's Ultimate compound. Your goal is not to sand off all the clear coat. You want to still have clear when you start the final buffing. My finish would be a mirror finish.

For metal pieces, I use Rustoleum Appliance Epoxy Gloss Black.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Anyone painted their Silverwing?   Anyone painted their Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 18, 2016 8:00 am

That sand clean sand method sounds like the days of lacquer paint, the method will give a great finish if done correctly.
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

PostSubject: Re: Anyone painted their Silverwing?   Anyone painted their Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 18, 2016 2:11 pm

Good post easyrider. I was aware of the multiple paint/clear coat/sanding in between routine from when my B-I-L painted his truck (he got the orange peel look initially too).

I don't mind taking my time ... I couldn't live with myself if I did a sloppy job. It would drive me nuts.
Back to top Go down
Gustafa
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Gustafa

Number of posts : 218
Registration date : 2015-10-10

PostSubject: Re: Anyone painted their Silverwing?   Anyone painted their Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 18, 2016 3:46 pm

Yep, you can get some gorgeous paints on Amazon too if you have a compressor and spray gun.

Following this thread, probably going to prep mine here in December and paint in January. Joys of living in the south, not too cold.
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

PostSubject: Re: Anyone painted their Silverwing?   Anyone painted their Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 18, 2016 3:53 pm

Gustafa wrote:
Yep, you can get some gorgeous paints on Amazon too if you have a compressor and spray gun.

Following this thread, probably going to prep mine here in December and paint in January. Joys of living in the south, not too cold.

Unfortunately my compressor is not rated for a spray gun.  Sad

I am confused about another thing ... if I lived in your neck of the woods ... there wouldn't be any time for anything but riding!!! small moped  You have some great roads your way!!!
Back to top Go down
Gustafa
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Gustafa

Number of posts : 218
Registration date : 2015-10-10

PostSubject: Re: Anyone painted their Silverwing?   Anyone painted their Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 18, 2016 3:59 pm

sonuvabug wrote:
Gustafa wrote:

Unfortunately my compressor is not rated for a spray gun.  Sad

I am confused about another thing ... if I lived in your neck of the woods ... there wouldn't be any time for anything but riding!!! small moped  You have some great roads your way!!!

We do and I bought my Wing with 13,000 and now have nearly 22,000. So Im riding! But the previous 2 owners did some fantastic cosmetic work on the ride, so its time to make it pretty again.
Back to top Go down

Anyone painted their Silverwing?
Page 1 of 1