Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
Wheels, tyres, fork springs, brakes, handguards, just done. I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 5:43 pm

» New member from Europe
Wheels, tyres, fork springs, brakes, handguards, just done. I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Wheels, tyres, fork springs, brakes, handguards, just done. I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Wheels, tyres, fork springs, brakes, handguards, just done. I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Wheels, tyres, fork springs, brakes, handguards, just done. I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Wheels, tyres, fork springs, brakes, handguards, just done. I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Wheels, tyres, fork springs, brakes, handguards, just done. I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Wheels, tyres, fork springs, brakes, handguards, just done. I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Wheels, tyres, fork springs, brakes, handguards, just done. I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Wheels, tyres, fork springs, brakes, handguards, just done. I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Wheels, tyres, fork springs, brakes, handguards, just done.

Go down 
+7
Jolly Bodger
bikerboy
Reg
terrier
oldwingguy
DerrillW
Flyingpanman
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Flyingpanman
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Flyingpanman

Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2016-06-03

Wheels, tyres, fork springs, brakes, handguards, just done. Empty
PostSubject: Wheels, tyres, fork springs, brakes, handguards, just done.   Wheels, tyres, fork springs, brakes, handguards, just done. I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 11, 2016 6:35 pm

My 2006 Swing tyres were worn out as the odometer read 11k miles. I bought a pair of Metzeler Feel Free Wintecs tyres but the wheels needed repainting before fitting. Initially, I was going to paint them myself with 2 pack paint.

I found out that you can now get a mirror chrome finish with powder coating. I made enquiries and was quoted £60 per wheel. Considering the process has to be done twice, one for chrome effect and one for clear, it didn't seem too bad.

Below is a pic of my front wheel. I think it looks great - more like polished alloy than chrome maybe.

I've also fitted a Givi Airflow 214 screen and a pair of handguards from ebay uk. As winter approaches, I'm looking at fitting leg wind deflectors next. They might also hide a few scratches the previous owner left for me!

I fitted new brake pads all round and cleaned, painted, re-furbed associated bits and pieces as I went along - eg., the small oval exhaust heat shield was tarnished so I tried to unbolt it but both bolts snapped. I fitted a new type over the top - again ebay uk.

I made a front mudflap out of builders plastic damp proof course and glued it with "Serious Glue" made by Bostik or Evo Stik?

Last but not least, I plumped for Hyper Pro progressive front fork springs after the pits and pot holes were shaking me up so badly. I now have a supple ride that firms up nicely when cornering and doesn't feel as if it's going to snap the steering head off.

More pics of the recent work is on this site under my personal album.Flyingpanman's Album

Wheels, tyres, fork springs, brakes, handguards, just done. <a href=Wheels, tyres, fork springs, brakes, handguards, just done. Dsc01112" />
Back to top Go down
DerrillW
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
DerrillW

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2013-09-28

PostSubject: Re: Wheels, tyres, fork springs, brakes, handguards, just done.   Wheels, tyres, fork springs, brakes, handguards, just done. I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 11, 2016 8:01 pm

Fantastic finish on those wheels!
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Wheels, tyres, fork springs, brakes, handguards, just done.   Wheels, tyres, fork springs, brakes, handguards, just done. I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 11, 2016 8:51 pm

Looks good, very good.
Back to top Go down
terrier
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
terrier

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2015-08-12

PostSubject: Re: Wheels, tyres, fork springs, brakes, handguards, just done.   Wheels, tyres, fork springs, brakes, handguards, just done. I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2016 1:58 pm

Flyingpanman........The wheels look great. Nice finish. Hope they stand up to bad weather and salt corrosion. You've now made me jealous of the Hyperpro springs Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad It's something I'd like to do but my Swing is still under warranty until the end of the year so can't mess around with it too much. Maybe next year Smile Smile

Den small moped
Back to top Go down
Reg
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Reg

Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2016-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Wheels, tyres, fork springs, brakes, handguards, just done.   Wheels, tyres, fork springs, brakes, handguards, just done. I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2016 2:04 pm

That wheel looks better than new.
Back to top Go down
bikerboy
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2011-05-12

PostSubject: Wheels tyres fork springs   Wheels, tyres, fork springs, brakes, handguards, just done. I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 13, 2016 3:46 am

I really like the wheels. Where did you get them done ?
Back to top Go down
Flyingpanman
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Flyingpanman

PostSubject: Re: Wheels, tyres, fork springs, brakes, handguards, just done.   Wheels, tyres, fork springs, brakes, handguards, just done. I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 13, 2016 4:38 am

bikerboy wrote:
I really like the wheels.  Where did you get them done ?

Not too far from you. Fast Line coatings Ltd., Preston PR1 8SZ. Ask for Steve. I've no affiliation, just a pleased customer.

I was in two minds because the wheels on any scooter, particularly the rear, are difficult to see. I wondered if it was worth £60 per wheel. Then I thought I'd get it done to see how good it can be and how well it lasts. I'm pleased with the look but time will tell on durability. Other coatings can be cheaper, of course.

While I was there, I did see some crash bars and fog light cases in the same finish. They really looked very good - an alternative to chrome plating.

Steve will give you a tour of the workshop and there's a glut of different finishes available - hundreds of colours, candy finishes, chrome and gold plate effect. I used to think powder coating was just basic colours, but not any more.
Back to top Go down
bikerboy
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2011-05-12

PostSubject: Wheels tyres etc.   Wheels, tyres, fork springs, brakes, handguards, just done. I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 13, 2016 5:47 am

The last time I was there was to have some chrome spotlights powder coated black to match my ST1100, much the reverse of what I want today !
Back to top Go down
Jolly Bodger
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2016-10-05

PostSubject: Re: Wheels, tyres, fork springs, brakes, handguards, just done.   Wheels, tyres, fork springs, brakes, handguards, just done. I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 15, 2016 11:11 pm

What do you think of the Metzeler Wintecs?
JB
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4170
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Wheels, tyres, fork springs, brakes, handguards, just done.   Wheels, tyres, fork springs, brakes, handguards, just done. I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 16, 2016 1:48 am

Old Limey is the bloke to ask about Metzeler Wintec tyres, he went through a set of them on his previous Silver Wing before going back to running on Bridgestone Hoops. Another UK member that's running on all season tyres is The Bern (hi bud!), he had them on his Silver Wing when we were at the Muppets Duxford meeting last summer.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Wheels, tyres, fork springs, brakes, handguards, just done.   Wheels, tyres, fork springs, brakes, handguards, just done. I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 17, 2016 6:19 pm

The powder coat ought to hold up well. I had the struts and fuselage tubing on my homebuilt Avid Flyer airplane powder coated to protect them from salt water spray. The looked just as good as new when I sold the floats four years later. Three years after that the fuselage and tail feather tubing still was completely rust and corrosion free. This was on an aircraft that was stored without a hanger on a ramp in salt water in SE Alaska which is noted for it's unending rain.
Ketchikan has and average of 145" of rain per year. Makes you guys in the UK look like you're living in a desert.
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Wheels, tyres, fork springs, brakes, handguards, just done.   Wheels, tyres, fork springs, brakes, handguards, just done. I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 31, 2016 1:58 am

This thread on the Singapore website has details on how to do handguards:

http://www.singaporebikes.com/forums/showthread.php/325894-lt-Info-gt-Silverwing-400cc-600cc-Tech-Corner?p=7529595&viewfull=1#post7529595
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4170
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Wheels, tyres, fork springs, brakes, handguards, just done.   Wheels, tyres, fork springs, brakes, handguards, just done. I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 31, 2016 6:43 am

exavid wrote:
Ketchikan has and average of 145" of rain per year. Makes you guys in the UK look like you're living in a desert.

In my local desert, the centre of York was badly flooded at the end of last year around Christmas time, and homes and businesses are still recovering from the damage caused. Further North in Cumbria where I used to live also suffered serious flooding at the end of last year. For many homeowners, shops, and businesses in places like Carlisle, and Cockermouth it was the second time in ten years it's happened.

In both Nork Yorkshire and the Cumbria floods, road bridges collapsed causing months of disruption and long detours. There's a little hamlet called Seathwaite in the Lake District that regularly gets between 136" to 140" of rainfall a year, they should maybe twin the place with Ketchikan.

Let's not forget we're not the ones put off by a bit of precipitation, and rain suits not baseball caps and shorts are normal riding gear to us. It's November tomorrow, we're moving into winter and already suiting up for the colder weather, our "riding season" carries on.
Back to top Go down
cornishtrailsloth
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2016-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Wheels, tyres, fork springs, brakes, handguards, just done.   Wheels, tyres, fork springs, brakes, handguards, just done. I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 31, 2016 3:30 pm

looks nice FPM, can I ask what handguard you put on and how easy/hard it was?

On riding in weather (of all sorts) I often dream of not being soggy during the winter and have bought many different waterproofs over the years - inevitably the 'damp crotch scenario' will occur.
Back to top Go down
Flyingpanman
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Flyingpanman

PostSubject: Re: Wheels, tyres, fork springs, brakes, handguards, just done.   Wheels, tyres, fork springs, brakes, handguards, just done. I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 31, 2016 5:13 pm

The thread below is where I posted a link to my handguards. Further down the thread, someone has posted better pics and fitting details.

https://www.silverwing600.com/t4387-handguards#95112
Back to top Go down
cornishtrailsloth
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2016-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Wheels, tyres, fork springs, brakes, handguards, just done.   Wheels, tyres, fork springs, brakes, handguards, just done. I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 01, 2016 1:54 pm

thanks FPM
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wheels, tyres, fork springs, brakes, handguards, just done.   Wheels, tyres, fork springs, brakes, handguards, just done. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wheels, tyres, fork springs, brakes, handguards, just done.
Page 1 of 1