Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New to Me Swing
oil change erronious washer change I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Today at 10:47 pm

» I said Farewell...
oil change erronious washer change I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Today at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
oil change erronious washer change I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
oil change erronious washer change I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
oil change erronious washer change I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
oil change erronious washer change I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
oil change erronious washer change I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
oil change erronious washer change I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
oil change erronious washer change I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
oil change erronious washer change I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

oil change erronious washer change

Go down 
+5
gremlin
sonuvabug
Cosmic_Jumper
Old Limey
winged warrior
9 posters
AuthorMessage
winged warrior
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
winged warrior

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2016-08-31

oil change erronious washer change Empty
PostSubject: oil change erronious washer change   oil change erronious washer change I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2016 12:27 pm

As far as I can tell when I do an oil change the only thing that needs replacing is
a o ring usually. So why does Honda always charge me for a crush washer when
there is none needed (the oil plug described in the bike manual has a spring, filter, and o ring, no
washer there.

Is there some other oil plug I don't know about???
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

PostSubject: Re: oil change erronious washer change   oil change erronious washer change I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2016 12:53 pm

Most manufacturers say change the oil rings, fit new gasket, only use this thing 3 times. I never change the "O" ring  when  changing the oil and did four oil changes on my last Silverwing with no problems. If it is oil tight with what you have now, it will most likely continue to be oil tight when put back. This is assuming you do the changing yourself.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: oil change erronious washer change   oil change erronious washer change I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2016 1:54 pm

There is no crush washer to be replaced, nor does the O-ring require replacement --unless they screwed it up. Yet another example of why you should learn to DIY. The Silverwing is easy to work on.

Ya know, the courteous thing to do would be to introduce yourself on the, ahem, Introduction section of our forum.

Tim
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 929
Registration date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: oil change erronious washer change   oil change erronious washer change I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2016 2:02 pm

Hey winged warrior. First, welcome aboard this board from a fellow SWing rider an hour west of you.

Second, please take a moment and introduce yourself in the "Introductions" forum. Tell us a bit about yourself, your riding history, your SWing etc.

Regarding your question. I've never put a crush washer on my SWing. There was one scooter we owned that required one (it could have been our Reflex) but it sure isn't the SWing.

I perform my own oil changes (4 or 5 so far) and have yet to observe any leaks. Therefore, I have not replaced the O-ring. I do inspect all the bits when I perform an oil change and if anything looks worn, I would replace it.

I say if you're not getting a crush washer installed (and I don't believe you are or even need one), you shouldn't be paying for one.
Back to top Go down
gremlin
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
gremlin

Number of posts : 227
Registration date : 2015-04-09

PostSubject: Re: oil change erronious washer change   oil change erronious washer change I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2016 7:40 pm

hi Winged Warrior, welcome to the forum. As to your experience for being charged for a washer, which was not supplied; most workshop make a bit of extra money this way. Whether they service a car, bike or scooter, there is always a few dollars added on for " sundry workshop supplies, environmental charge" or any other description. I recently was charged for a electronic diagnosis not only the usual hourly rate, but also $ 46 for software.
That is why so many of us do it themselves; with the added bonus of having the knowledge that it has been done properly!
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2555
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: oil change erronious washer change   oil change erronious washer change I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2016 8:58 pm

I have changed my oil 7 times so far without replacing the o-ring. No leaks so far. Will probably get one for the next change and be safe!!! As to the crush washer, the stock Honda oil filter works in several other models, including the Goldwing, and I have gotten the crush washers when buying filters from Honda. No problem as I can use them. But with other brands of filter no crush washer is included.
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

PostSubject: Re: oil change erronious washer change   oil change erronious washer change I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 01, 2016 6:05 am

Your more likely ware out the oil plug socket then ware out the O ring . The mating surface of the plug and motor casing,has a tight fitting surface,and a bit of pipe dopp will seal any oil leaks ,in a emergency.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: oil change erronious washer change   oil change erronious washer change I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 07, 2016 5:47 pm

If they use a computer invoice system, just gets billed as part of service.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: oil change erronious washer change   oil change erronious washer change I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 08, 2016 1:36 am

One thing about 'crush' washers. They are different than the aluminum sealing washer commonly used on various oil plugs. Crush washers properly called are the hollow copper washer which use to be used on spark plugs. The aluminum sealing washers don't 'crush'. They are just soft enough to make a oil tight seal between a crankcase and the plug. I often use them if the oil plug hasn't been over tightened. A light rub on a fine file or sandpaper will flatten and smooth them out nicely like new.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: oil change erronious washer change   oil change erronious washer change I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 08, 2016 5:37 pm

Honda oem washers have a flat side and a rounded side. Flat side faces drain plug, round toward pan.
Once tightened round side is flattened, it does compress after use both sides are flat. Just two different type washers.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: oil change erronious washer change   oil change erronious washer change I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

oil change erronious washer change
Page 1 of 1