Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
Locked up motor / Looking for 2 S'Wings I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 4:47 am

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Locked up motor / Looking for 2 S'Wings I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Locked up motor / Looking for 2 S'Wings I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Locked up motor / Looking for 2 S'Wings I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Locked up motor / Looking for 2 S'Wings I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Locked up motor / Looking for 2 S'Wings I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Locked up motor / Looking for 2 S'Wings I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Locked up motor / Looking for 2 S'Wings I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Locked up motor / Looking for 2 S'Wings I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
Locked up motor / Looking for 2 S'Wings I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Locked up motor / Looking for 2 S'Wings

Go down 
+6
Old Limey
john grinsel
Gustafa
cliffyk
Cosmic_Jumper
docjones
10 posters
AuthorMessage
docjones
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2011-10-12

Locked up motor / Looking for 2 S'Wings Empty
PostSubject: Locked up motor   Locked up motor / Looking for 2 S'Wings I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2016 9:04 pm

What is the easiest way to determine if the motor is locked or seized up? Starter motor won't turn it over. Can I get to the flywheel fairly easily to see if it will turn? Getting to the belt side looks like it could take some time if one was in a hurry.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Locked up motor / Looking for 2 S'Wings   Locked up motor / Looking for 2 S'Wings I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2016 10:24 pm

Remove the spark plugs then take off the belt case and try to turn the variator bolt (17mm). The variator is directly bolted to the crankshaft. The flywheel is considerably more difficult to access.

ADDENDUM: If the variator wont turn with the spark plugs removed the next step would be to remove the Starter Motor. If the Starter has jammed the works locking up the flywheel then removing it should allow the variator should turn freely.

Tim

Last edited by Cosmic_Jumper on Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
cliffyk
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
cliffyk

Number of posts : 182
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Locked up motor / Looking for 2 S'Wings   Locked up motor / Looking for 2 S'Wings I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2016 10:35 pm

Only the front plastic CVT cover has to come off to get at the crank bolt, however the passenger foot peg bracket must be removed first--5 to 10 minutes tops...
Back to top Go down
Gustafa
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Gustafa

Number of posts : 218
Registration date : 2015-10-10

PostSubject: Re: Locked up motor / Looking for 2 S'Wings   Locked up motor / Looking for 2 S'Wings I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 26, 2016 10:12 am

I hope youre not frozen up, just a starter or plug fail, best of luck!
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3291
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Locked up motor / Looking for 2 S'Wings   Locked up motor / Looking for 2 S'Wings I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 26, 2016 10:51 am

How about weak/old battery?
Back to top Go down
docjones
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Locked up motor / Looking for 2 S'Wings   Locked up motor / Looking for 2 S'Wings I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 26, 2016 11:29 am

Thanks you guys. This info will help a lot.
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

PostSubject: Re: Locked up motor / Looking for 2 S'Wings   Locked up motor / Looking for 2 S'Wings I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 26, 2016 1:15 pm

Don't assume the worst. Do as advised First Battery. Then checks. Why do you think seized motor? was it running okay before?
Back to top Go down
docjones
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Locked up motor / Looking for 2 S'Wings   Locked up motor / Looking for 2 S'Wings I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 26, 2016 5:50 pm

I don't know yet. The previous owner said he was riding along and it just quit. Won't start or even turn over with a brand new battery. Just feeling out my options before I pull the trigger on this new to me Swing.
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

PostSubject: Re: Locked up motor / Looking for 2 S'Wings   Locked up motor / Looking for 2 S'Wings I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 26, 2016 7:10 pm

Remove the drive clutch cover off put a socket on the drive face bolt and see if there is rotation ,if so motor not seized .If motor is seized find another motor on E bay.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Locked up motor / Looking for 2 S'Wings   Locked up motor / Looking for 2 S'Wings I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 26, 2016 9:41 pm

Could possibly be that it's nothing more than that the drive belt shredded and jammed up the transmission --a very rare occurrence, but it has happened. Again, you'd have to remove the belt case to determine that. The belt is not that expensive and it's a pretty easy DIY job. However I sure wouldn't buy it without knowing exactly what the problem is.

As Tinman said, you can find engines on eBay so you'd need to factor that expense (+ shipping) as well as the expense of a Honda dealer's labor to disassemble the scoot to R & R the engine.

It's your game; no one is going to buy it as it is, so go with an extremely low bid. The sellers alternative is to salvage it (for maybe $500) or fix it.

Tim
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Locked up motor / Looking for 2 S'Wings   Locked up motor / Looking for 2 S'Wings I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2016 7:33 am

Anyone check the oil? just a thought, how many miles on the bike? any maint. records?
Back to top Go down
Modernman1953
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 379
Registration date : 2016-06-01

PostSubject: Re: Locked up motor / Looking for 2 S'Wings   Locked up motor / Looking for 2 S'Wings I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2016 5:00 pm

I bought a 06 Silverwing with 7500 miles on it, all of the tupperware off the bike for $900. When they are not running, they don't bring much value. I reassembled the bike and it is really not worth more than $2500.

So, what is a seriously broken one worth?

By the way, I do have a spare bottom half of a motor. If you need a starter, I have one.

Back to top Go down
Kennylxix
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 156
Registration date : 2016-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Locked up motor / Looking for 2 S'Wings   Locked up motor / Looking for 2 S'Wings I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 10, 2016 6:06 pm

I just finished a motor swap on mine newly acquired wing. If the motor is bad I suggest just swapping the whole thing. I got mine locally(ish) for 325. It has 6000 miles on it and came with the Trans and everything. It's a pretty involved job but doesn't require and special tools and is doable by one person in a weekend.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Locked up motor / Looking for 2 S'Wings   Locked up motor / Looking for 2 S'Wings I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Locked up motor / Looking for 2 S'Wings
Page 1 of 1