Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Trike Riders! Stand up and be counted!
Givi Airflow fault? I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Today at 8:06 pm

» Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning
Givi Airflow fault? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 2:50 pm

» Introduction.
Givi Airflow fault? I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 6:02 am

» Temperature Gauge Norm
Givi Airflow fault? I_icon_minitimeby Slugg Today at 2:05 am

» Hello from North Florida
Givi Airflow fault? I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 7:25 pm

» Radiator Removal
Givi Airflow fault? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 6:31 am

» Crumpled...........
Givi Airflow fault? I_icon_minitimeby KurtPerthWA Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:46 pm

» Parting out 2004 Silverwing 600
Givi Airflow fault? I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:18 pm

» Stator wire gauge
Givi Airflow fault? I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:54 pm

» Overheat problem
Givi Airflow fault? I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:39 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Givi Airflow fault?

Go down 
+4
sonuvabug
bikerboy
Meldrew
limpinggeoff
8 posters
AuthorMessage
limpinggeoff
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
limpinggeoff

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2015-11-03

Givi Airflow fault? Empty
PostSubject: Givi Airflow fault?   Givi Airflow fault? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2016 3:44 pm

Hi,

Just returned from 4 hot days in Northern/Southern Ireland. On day 2 at about 60 mph on the A2 causeway route, I went around a bend on the dip of a hill turning right and in the middle of the road then hit a hole (think it was a missing cats eyes fixture). The result was the suspension bottoming out and a loud bang with the screen cracking from the bottom central area to the area near the right hand guard (not near any bolt holes).

My question to all - has anyone else had the same issue?

I've tried to contact Givi to voice my disappointment as I use Givi products with every bike I buy and have previously had no issues, but still no reply.

My next purchase will have to be hyperpro springs as my SWing only comes second in the handling stakes to the old Honda CX500 which handled like a Camel when cornering.

Thanks Geoff

Ps. The people of Northern Ireland are the most friendly and helpful I have ever had the pleasure to come across and I would recommend everyone to tour Ireland should they have the opportunity.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4192
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Givi Airflow fault?   Givi Airflow fault? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 15, 2016 7:04 am

Believe it or not there isn't a country called Southern Ireland, there's Northern Ireland up at the top which is part of the U.K. and the rest is the country is just Ireland, or the Republic of Ireland.

Now that's enough of the smart arse from me, I've been over Northern Ireland a few times on BMW's, MZ's and last time on a 650 Burgman. As you say folk over in Norn' Iron are very friendly, it's the fine rain over there that I dislike.

The way you fit the Airflow has been subject to a lot of discussion here. Especially drilling through the plastic to reveal the two captured nuts that are utilised to fit the two metal brackets when mounting the Airflow lower screen. Most fit them, some don't and just utilise the mounting holes that the rubbish Honda screen uses. Givi instructions are as usual, badly printed and vague. The mounting instruction that came with my Airflow were for the non adjustable Givi DT 214 screen which adds to the confusion.

All this waffle leads up to my question, did you use the two metal brackets when fixing your Airflow to your Silver Wing?
Back to top Go down
bikerboy
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2011-05-12

PostSubject: Givi Airflow fault >   Givi Airflow fault? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 15, 2016 4:33 pm

Slight thread hijack but I have to comment that the locals are friendly and helpful all over Ireland, I had a particularly good experience recently when I had a problem with my Grinnall trike in Donegal and also with the Swing way down in Killarney.  Now back to the subject !!!
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 930
Registration date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Givi Airflow fault?   Givi Airflow fault? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 15, 2016 4:37 pm

Meldrew wrote:
... snipped ... All this waffle leads up to my question, did you use the two metal brackets when fixing your Airflow to your Silver Wing?

Anyone have a pic of these metal brackets installed?

I know I don't have them installed and do not recall them being included as part of the installation kit.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1013
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Givi Airflow fault?   Givi Airflow fault? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 15, 2016 11:54 pm

I believe that you have to order the brackets separately from GIVI. It is strongly recommended to use the brackets for the Airflow screen. The bracket installation recommends that a third hole be drilled. Using the bracket as a template, grill out the middle hole, but be very CAREFUL not to go beyond the plastic. There is a threaded hole already there on the underlying frame. You do not want to ruin the thread. The GIVI installation come with the two additional screws you will need. If your screen was not secured with six screws, then you or the prior owner choose not correctly secure the screen. The OEM screen comes with four mounting points. The GIVI screen comes with six mounting points.
Back to top Go down
bikerboy
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2011-05-12

PostSubject: Givi Airflow fault   Givi Airflow fault? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2016 4:18 am

My screen came with the metal bracket and replacement screws.  IIRC there is a small circle mounded into the plastic where the hole needs to be drilled.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3810
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Givi Airflow fault?   Givi Airflow fault? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2016 6:50 am

I drilled a pilot hole through the plastic with a hex-headed pilot drill-bit in an electric screw-driver (slow revolutions).
Then I opened up the hole with a sharp drill-bit (the correct size) held in my hand.

My first Airflow screen came complete with the brackets.
Back to top Go down
Seadog
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2016-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Givi Airflow fault?   Givi Airflow fault? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2016 5:21 pm

Easyrider wrote:
I believe that you have to order the brackets separately from GIVI.

bikerboy wrote:
My screen came with the metal bracket and replacement screws.

MikeO wrote:

My first Airflow screen came complete with the brackets.

My recently purchased (in UK) Givi Airflow came complete with brackets, too.

Whether the brackets have anything to do with the OP's screen failure I've no idea.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Givi Airflow fault?   Givi Airflow fault? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2016 11:48 pm

Last GIVI windshield I installed, about 8 months or so ago came without the brackets. I had to order an installation kit at the time I ordered the windshield. Same installation kit for the AF and the Adjustable GIVI screens.
Back to top Go down

Givi Airflow fault?
Page 1 of 1