Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» What were they thinking?
Weekend In Whitby I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 3:11 am

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Weekend In Whitby I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 8:05 pm

» Earth cable stress
Weekend In Whitby I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 7:29 pm

» Happy St. Patricks Day!
Weekend In Whitby I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Yesterday at 5:11 pm

» Hello from Ontario, Canada
Weekend In Whitby I_icon_minitimeby PerryH Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:05 pm

» LED Headlights
Weekend In Whitby I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:52 am

» Cylinder Head Replacement
Weekend In Whitby I_icon_minitimeby 95konig Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:50 pm

» Cooling fan still running
Weekend In Whitby I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:18 pm

» March 2024 Forum Picture
Weekend In Whitby I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:38 pm

» Hyperpro Fork Springs
Weekend In Whitby I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:31 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Weekend In Whitby

Go down 
+2
Old Limey
MikeO
6 posters
AuthorMessage
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3780
Registration date : 2009-06-29

Weekend In Whitby Empty
PostSubject: Weekend In Whitby   Weekend In Whitby I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2016 12:07 pm

The X9OC have an 'Anniversary Weekend' every year - the first was in 2003 if I recall correctly.
We usually decide on a venue for next year after the rideout on the Saturday although it's never fixed at that point.
We have visited many of the corners of England and Wales, trying to find places reasonably accessible to most members.

This year we are meeting in Whitby, a seaside town and port popular with tourists, situated on the North-East coast in the county of North Yorkshire.

Its fishing fleet, once very important, is somewhat diminished but is still thriving, catching lobsters, crabs, cod, haddock and salmon. Herring and whales featured in the past!

Whitby has a ruined abbey and is mentioned in 'Dracula' amongst other literary works, film and television.

I've ridden part of the way, having the time to spend two days on the journey, and am staying in a hotel/motel in Newcastle-under-Lyme in Staffordshire.
It's 199 miles from home to here.

Tomorrow's ride is about 160 miles, part of which is over the Pennines, the oft-named Backbone of England.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitby#Economy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pennines
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

Weekend In Whitby Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weekend In Whitby   Weekend In Whitby I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2016 1:27 pm

The pennines is my neck of the woods (well the Lancashire part). I doubt you will get that far though as, I hate to admit it, but, the best riding is definitely in Yorkshire. Smile
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 990
Registration date : 2016-05-15

Weekend In Whitby Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weekend In Whitby   Weekend In Whitby I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2016 3:10 pm

Nah, the best riding is a bit further north in the Durham dales :-)

Whicherver way you go enjoy Whitby. And if you havent been there ride down to Robin Hoods Bay, park at the top and have a wander round the village. Lots of little alleys leading between the cottages, gorgeous place.
If your feeling brave / daft check out the Boggle Hole ford :-)
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3780
Registration date : 2009-06-29

Weekend In Whitby Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weekend In Whitby   Weekend In Whitby I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2016 3:35 pm

Thanks.

Robin Hood's Bay is on Saturday's Rideout.

I'll pass on the ford. I dropped the blue Silverwing in one near Ware. I wouldn't have used it but the road through the village was closed and there was no alternative. I had to be rescued as I was trapped under the bike. I got rather wet!
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4169
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Weekend In Whitby Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weekend In Whitby   Weekend In Whitby I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2016 4:28 pm

Sorry mate, North Yorkshire aces your Durham Dales, an obscure area I had to Wikipedia to find out where it was. Now I know what part of County Durham it's in bleak comes to mind, it's OK around Barnard Castle way but in contrast there's nowt muchonce you're up in the windy wilds of Tow Law.

North Yorkshire has the proper Dales the Yorkshire ones, the North Yorkshire Moors, the Howardian Hills, the afore mentioned Whitby, and Robin Hoods Bay, great little market towns like Thirsk, Pickering, Northallerton, Ripon, and Skipton. Apart from getting through the seemingly permanently traffic congested spa town of Harrogate, riding here is good fun. Off the scoot Harrogate is well worth a wander round.

Then there's York with the Minster and almost intact city walls, Fountains Abbey, Ampleforth, there's great food, restaurants, cafés, farm shops, breweries, shopping etc. We've got some great little breweries here in North Yorkshire like Black Sheep in Masham, and even Newcastle Brown is now brewed a few miles down the road in Tadcaster.

There's a couple of us from York ride for a pot of tea and a Fat Rascal to one of the branches of Bettys Café Tea Rooms fairly regularly, no bikers cafes for us. But if you're into that scene then Squires is also just a few miles past Tadcaster in Sherburn-in-Elmet.
Back to top Go down
Chilliwing
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Chilliwing

Number of posts : 146
Registration date : 2011-09-03

Weekend In Whitby Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weekend In Whitby   Weekend In Whitby I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2016 8:58 pm

My wife and I will be spending the month of July in Yorkshire visiting most of the places that you and Mildrew mention in your posts. A few Betty's tea rooms are no doubt on my wife's list. I am really looking forward to the trip as I have spent very little time in the north having spent most of my formative years living in Surrey.
We are renting a small car but I am tempted to bring my helmet over, or buy a new one there and seek out a two wheeled rental to take in some of the roads. In 2007 I rode from North Allerton to Heysham to catch the ferry to the Isle of Man. It was one of the best rides I have ever had. The Yorkshire Dales and Moors have been calling me ever since!
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 990
Registration date : 2016-05-15

Weekend In Whitby Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weekend In Whitby   Weekend In Whitby I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 03, 2016 2:47 am

Aye Meldrew,
Well I do conceed that some areas of Durham are a little rough and the natives still eat their first born. But that's just cultural differences, it doesn't make them a bunch of inbred trolls bad people.
Then again there again there are parts of Yorkshire that the missionaries never got to... or if they did they never came back :-)
Back to top Go down
Cookie
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Cookie

Number of posts : 233
Registration date : 2011-10-03

Weekend In Whitby Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weekend In Whitby   Weekend In Whitby I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 03, 2016 5:42 am

I haven't been to Whitby for many years now but it was one of my favourite places and I must make the trip up there again soon.
Great part of the country and good fish and chips too!
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Weekend In Whitby Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weekend In Whitby   Weekend In Whitby I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 03, 2016 11:11 am

I visited Goatland in Yorkshire where they filmed Heartbeat, a really interesting place, just like the film set ( or it was). Trouble was, coming back, I took a wrong turn and ended up in a forest and then on a moorland. Eventually I found the main road back, a very interesting day that was.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4169
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Weekend In Whitby Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weekend In Whitby   Weekend In Whitby I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 03, 2016 11:30 am

You should have stopped and stood on your wallet to get your bearings! Smile
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Weekend In Whitby Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weekend In Whitby   Weekend In Whitby I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 03, 2016 1:06 pm

What would I see, with my head in the clouds. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Weekend In Whitby Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weekend In Whitby   Weekend In Whitby I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Weekend In Whitby
Page 1 of 1