Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Rear shock longevity
Seat Modification: Automatic opener I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 2:50 am

» Final Drive Noise banished
Seat Modification: Automatic opener I_icon_minitimeby dovahkiin Today at 1:29 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Seat Modification: Automatic opener I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
Seat Modification: Automatic opener I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks
Seat Modification: Automatic opener I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Seat Modification: Automatic opener I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Seat Modification: Automatic opener I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Seat Modification: Automatic opener I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Seat Modification: Automatic opener I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Seat Modification: Automatic opener I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:16 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Seat Modification: Automatic opener

Go down 
+16
Art
Bcook01
gremlin
Easyrider
JeffR
Kenjj50
sctr199
john grinsel
Bash On!
MikeO
oldwingguy
DerrillW
Cosmic_Jumper
Gustafa
fgaiazzi
new7man
20 posters
AuthorMessage
new7man
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2015-08-05

Seat Modification: Automatic opener Empty
PostSubject: Seat Modification: Automatic opener   Seat Modification: Automatic opener I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2016 9:59 am

I saw a video on youtube in which some guy had installed an automatic (remote) seat opener and I was intrigued because I hated to have to use the key to unlock and open the seat. He wouldn't tell me how he did, in fact wanted to sell me the info. So I searched this forum and found that no one had done it or at least no one had published the fact that they had done it. (And then there was the rude guy that had nothing but opinion to add) anyway I searched the net and found a couple of mods of this type but none to a S'wing. So I dabbled with it over several months and finally put all of the pieces together and installed it. I'll post some video of it in action if there is enough interest in seeing it. Otherwise, just wanted to post this for anyone in the future who might want to know how I did it.
Back to top Go down
fgaiazzi
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
fgaiazzi

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2013-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Seat Modification: Automatic opener   Seat Modification: Automatic opener I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2016 10:07 am

Good! I want to see it!
Back to top Go down
Gustafa
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Gustafa

Number of posts : 218
Registration date : 2015-10-10

PostSubject: Re: Seat Modification: Automatic opener   Seat Modification: Automatic opener I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2016 10:52 am

Post it up!
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Seat Modification: Automatic opener   Seat Modification: Automatic opener I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2016 10:57 am

new7man wrote:
<>(And then there was the rude guy that had nothing but opinion to add) <>

Try no to take it personal. We do need our resident curmudgeons & cynics to keep balance on the forum --just as we need the enthusiasm of new owners. I'm looking forward to seeing your mod.

Yes, Virginia, there are gargoyles...

Tim
Back to top Go down
DerrillW
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
DerrillW

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2013-09-28

PostSubject: Re: Seat Modification: Automatic opener   Seat Modification: Automatic opener I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2016 10:58 am

This is an idea that could be quite useful. Would love to see it.
Back to top Go down
new7man
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Seat Modification: Automatic opener   Seat Modification: Automatic opener I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2016 11:51 am

Here it is.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Seat Modification: Automatic opener   Seat Modification: Automatic opener I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2016 12:52 pm

It's probably a good video of a nice idea but it won't open for me, it says must be logged on, well I'm logged on but no dice, plus when I go back to the top it says on, if I click on the post header it will go back to off, no combination seems to work. Mad
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3788
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Seat Modification: Automatic opener   Seat Modification: Automatic opener I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2016 1:32 pm

I've just tried and on the screen it says, 'This video is private'.

Back to top Go down
new7man
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Seat Modification: Automatic opener   Seat Modification: Automatic opener I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2016 1:37 pm

Oops, yes someone just told me that. So I went back in and made it public. I believe that should do it now. Sorry about that.
Back to top Go down
new7man
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Seat Modification: Automatic opener   Seat Modification: Automatic opener I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2016 1:38 pm

Oops, yes someone just told me that. So I went back in and made it public. I believe that should do it now. Sorry about that.
Back to top Go down
Bash On!
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2015-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Seat Modification: Automatic opener   Seat Modification: Automatic opener I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2016 2:35 pm

I think it's a cool idea.  It would be nice to have one method for unlocking the seat on all my bikes.

Opening the seat is one of those little annoyances that arises from switching between the PCX and Silver Wing.  Silver Wing, of course, uses a key at the back of the seat.  The PCX, OTOH requires that the key remain in the ignition, be turned one click between off and on, and then a button depressed on the dash.  

Then there's the reversal of the horn and turn signal buttons between the two bikes to also contend with, but I digress.
Back to top Go down
new7man
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Seat Modification: Automatic opener   Seat Modification: Automatic opener I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2016 2:36 pm

I used the following parts:

1) 12V MOMENTARY REMOTE CONTROL 0V OUTPUT SWITCH RP11 (found it on Ebay $17.95)
2) Steel Helical Compression Spring - 5 1/8” x 2" Outer Diameter (NOS) (Ebay $12.99)
3) 20kg 44lb Lift Support Gas Strut Shock Spring Prop 11" (Ebay $14.07)
4) Omega DS-2.4 Universal Single Door Lock Actuator Motor Solenoid | NEW! (Ebay $8.00)

I also purchased 16 gauge black wire for the split connection that is required in the wiring instructions that come with item #1. Additionally, I used various wire to wire connectors which are standard. Specifically I used:

2 Electrical Cable Connectors 18-14 gauge Quick Splice Lock Wire Terminals Crimp Blue which I bought at Radio Shack for ~$4.00 (It's critical to get the right gauge as I learned from trial and error)

2 Car Ground Wire Hook Terminals 16-14 gauge (Radio Shack)

2 Network Cable Cord Wire BLACK Tie Straps 40 Lbs Zip Nylon

Optional:
Electric tape
Small Network Cable Cord Wire BLACK Tie Straps Zip Nylon
Back to top Go down
new7man
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Seat Modification: Automatic opener   Seat Modification: Automatic opener I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2016 4:44 pm

I don't get why there are these haters on this forum. I just did something fun and interesting. It would seem that if someone is not edified by this application them don't read it and let it be. First the hater when I was seeking information and now this hater John Grinsel. If you don't like it then don't read about it. I certainly don't need the commentary and frankly it just makes you look bad, like perhaps you couldn't do it so hate on it. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3294
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Seat Modification: Automatic opener   Seat Modification: Automatic opener I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2016 5:13 pm

Iam not a hater but rather a rider. I recommend putting a quick 5-10,000 miles on the SilverWing before screwing with it. AND I have no interest in electric seat opener.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3788
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Seat Modification: Automatic opener   Seat Modification: Automatic opener I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2016 5:22 pm

Everyone has the right to express an opinion on this forum.
I freely admit to having found some opinions in the past to be bordering on the offensive.
However, that is my opinion of them and, in this case, those who have expressed negative views on remote seat-openers and gas struts have made large numbers of positive and helpful views throughout their long memberships of this forum.
Those who have been here for a while know each other well and generally, although not always, sit on our hands when we feel it necessary.

I think, too, the negative views have been about the ideas, not the person who has had them; to counter with attacks on individuals is not acceptable nor is it acceptable to Report posts and then follow up with aggressive remarks about the people/posts one has reported.

I write as a Moderator.
Back to top Go down
sctr199
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
sctr199

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2013-07-29

PostSubject: Re: Seat Modification: Automatic opener   Seat Modification: Automatic opener I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2016 6:04 pm

Watched the video and found it to be a pretty slick addition.  Also could double as a way to discourage neighborhood cats from sleeping on your Swing too What a Face
Back to top Go down
Kenjj50
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 220
Registration date : 2015-09-28

PostSubject: Re: Seat Modification: Automatic opener   Seat Modification: Automatic opener I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2016 6:47 pm

This is a great idea! Say you want to rob and bank and left your helmet in the seat storage. With this remote device, you can open the seat storage while you run for your Swing, grab your helmet and stuff the money into storage without stopping to use a key. Voila! You're off and running. I think there may be other applications, too! Good job!!
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Seat Modification: Automatic opener   Seat Modification: Automatic opener I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2016 7:07 pm

What you did is pretty cool and thanks for posting. But please read MikeO's post above about reporting posts. Please don't let any of this stop you from posting more of your cool modifications but you will need to know that there are some who don't alter the SWing too much other than windshields and things. Again, thanks for posting.

You may want to join www.maxi-scoots.com and post this there as well. That is a site for many other scooters and they may want to do the same thing. You may even be able to make some money putting the entire kit together and selling it. If you do you can tell others here you are selling the kit. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Seat Modification: Automatic opener   Seat Modification: Automatic opener I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2016 8:57 pm

I like it, whether or not I do it, necessity may be the mother of invention but ideas move the world needed or not.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Seat Modification: Automatic opener   Seat Modification: Automatic opener I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2016 2:16 am

I like it also. We all make our Swing our own. I enjoy seeing mods riders are making on their ride. It is in our nature to try to improvement things despite what others may feel. Telephones evolved into cell phones. Abacus evolved into calculators then into computers. Candles evolved into the light bulb. If not for people like new7man we may still be living in the stone age. Good job new7man! Please don't let the opinions of others stop you from posting on this forum. This forum needs more people like you. You have got several positive responses from other members.
Back to top Go down
gremlin
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
gremlin

Number of posts : 227
Registration date : 2015-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Seat Modification: Automatic opener   Seat Modification: Automatic opener I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2016 2:43 am

yes I would also encourage you to keep modifying and to contribute, even though I kept my SW pretty standard. I understand that it is quite difficult, when you are enthusiastic, to get what seems like a hostile response from a member who has got a different relationship to his SW. But that by no means is a hate mail. Some of these riders have ridden lots of different scooters and bikes over the decades and ride them for different purposes. I am only a casual rider, but I take my hat off to them and respect their accomplishments and I am grateful for their advice, even if it is not sugar coated.
It is the diversity which makes the forum great and I learn a lot from those who have a different opinion.
Back to top Go down
Bcook01
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2015-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Seat Modification: Automatic opener   Seat Modification: Automatic opener I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2016 8:53 am

New7man

I appreciate the effort you have taken to inform us of your accomplishment. I wouldn't let any adverse comments affect you from future posts. In many cases, on these forums, the ones that talk the most have the least to contribute.
I have a tunnel bag I use on the pillion seat and needed a larger gas shock to compensate. Now I know which one to look for.  Thank you for the info

Bob
Back to top Go down
DerrillW
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
DerrillW

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2013-09-28

PostSubject: Re: Seat Modification: Automatic opener   Seat Modification: Automatic opener I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2016 5:30 pm

Love it! It's at least as useful as the remote locks on my Goldwing and I use those frequently.
Back to top Go down
Art
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 272
Registration date : 2015-12-25

PostSubject: Re: Seat Modification: Automatic opener   Seat Modification: Automatic opener I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2016 11:04 am

It's not something I would do, but it does seem well done
As for the curmudgeons, don't let it get to you, it's the interwebs
there are a lot of guys on here who call the stock screen 'useless'
I don't agree with this assessment, since I didn't arrive at the S wing via G wing, but via small cruiser, and recall very well what 'no weather protection' feels like
I do however see room for a lot of improvement
so to me it 'needs improvement' while to them it's 'useless'
I don't take it personal, and I'm sure they could give a rat's posterior if I did
do what you do, and give opposing opinions the weight they're due
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4174
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Seat Modification: Automatic opener   Seat Modification: Automatic opener I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2016 1:02 pm

Art wrote:
I don't agree with this assessment, since I didn't arrive at the S wing via G wing, but via small cruiser, and recall very well what 'no weather protection' feels like

The stock screen is useless, this curmudgeon knew that within a few miles of riding it out off the dealers forecourt on the 50 miles rainy ride home. It was noisy even with a quiet Schuberth helmet and custom made earplugs, and offered no wind or rain protection for my hands. So I changed it and have never regretted it just like everyone who has junked it for the Airflow.

Are you aware the number 1 and 2 topics on here are about the Airflow, fitting it and reviewing it. Have a look at some of the posts. Maybe we should take a poll of all the forum members who have fitted an Airflow and now have that useless Honda screen/shield gathering dust in their garage or workshop.

Since breaking and damaging Airflow screens is topical at the moment, you're a lot luckier because if you ever break that Honda one you like so much, I'm sure lots of Airflow owners would give you their OE one. Pay for the postage and handling to the US and you can have mine free.

I also think anyone that's ridden motorcycles for a few years will have spent time on naked cruisers, roadsters, unfaired tourers etc knows what riding wlth no weather protection is like. Especially those who don't have a "riding season".

Personally I've changed the OE screens on all my previous maxi scooters because they're no better than the Silver Wing one Currently keeping my Silver Wing OE screen company is the as new OE screen off my 400 Burgman K6, and a higher Secdem screen I used on my 650 Burgman K8. I put the stock screen back on when I sold it. I also sold the Sprint Manufacturing I used on my 250 Helix and the Givi I replaced the OE screen with on a '94 250 Majesty.

Last edited by Meldrew on Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
the_mad_rshn
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
the_mad_rshn

Number of posts : 121
Registration date : 2016-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Seat Modification: Automatic opener   Seat Modification: Automatic opener I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2016 2:14 pm

Great idea. It reminds me that I need to continue working on the same system for my truck's bed lid (tonneau cover). The remote start/alarm system that I installed there has about 3 more available configurations I can use and this idea was one of them. I doubt I will do the same with the SWing seat, but the idea is GREAT. Don't pay any attention to the naysayers. Just be proud of the fact that you can do more with your hands than just hold the handle bars or type negative comments on your keyboard Laughing

Cheers,
Mad
Back to top Go down
Art
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 272
Registration date : 2015-12-25

PostSubject: Re: Seat Modification: Automatic opener   Seat Modification: Automatic opener I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 09, 2016 11:17 am

Meldrew wrote:
Art wrote:

The stock screen is useless, this curmudgeon knew that within a few miles of riding it out off the dealers forecourt on the 50 miles rainy ride home. It was noisy even with a quiet Schuberth helmet and custom made earplugs, and offered no wind or rain protection for my hands. So I changed it and have never regretted it just like everyone who has junked it for the Airflow.

Are you aware the number 1 and 2 topics on here are about the Airflow, fitting it and reviewing it. Have a look at some of the posts. Maybe we should take a poll of all the forum members who have fitted an Airflow and now have that useless Honda screen/shield gathering dust in their garage or workshop.

Since breaking and damaging Airflow screens is topical at the moment, you're a lot luckier because if you ever break that Honda one you like so much, I'm sure lots of Airflow owners would give you their OE one. Pay for the postage and handling to the US and you can have mine free.

I also think anyone that's ridden motorcycles for a few years will have spent time on naked cruisers, roadsters, unfaired tourers etc knows what riding wlth no weather protection is like. Especially those who don't have a "riding season".

Personally I've changed the OE screens on all my previous maxi scooters because they're no better than the Silver Wing one Currently keeping my Silver Wing OE screen company is the as new OE screen off my 400 Burgman K6, and a higher Secdem screen I used on my 650 Burgman K8. I put the stock screen back on when I sold it. I also sold the Sprint Manufacturing I used on my 250 Helix and the Givi I replaced the OE screen with on a '94 250 Majesty.

Excuse me, I did not say I 'like it so much' i said it's 'better than no screen at all' and I stand by that, having gone directly from a naked cruiser, with the wind actually trying to remove me from the bike at 70, to the S wing, where there's less buffeting and noise than there was on the naked cruiser with the same helmet
the 70-80 MPH trip to the dealer to buy the bike was much worse than the return trip with the S wing, in my opinion
I am very aware how much everyone loves the Airflow and it's off brand equivalent, and intend to get one when funds allow, however, what I have IS better than not having a screen, and since it is better than nothing, it isn't 'useless' in my opinion
But we are definitely far off topic here
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4174
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Seat Modification: Automatic opener   Seat Modification: Automatic opener I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 09, 2016 3:08 pm

Sleep Wake me up when you've fitted an Airflow and have some idea how useless that OE screen is.
Back to top Go down
cooperthebeagle
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2015-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Seat Modification: Automatic opener   Seat Modification: Automatic opener I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 09, 2016 4:44 pm

That is great. I would pay you to do this for me, but we are a good distance from each other.

If I tried to wire this up myself I would get the following result: the seat would not move; the the fuel door would pop open; and the fuel cap would fly off.

Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Seat Modification: Automatic opener   Seat Modification: Automatic opener I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 09, 2016 8:38 pm

If I tried to wire this up  myself I would get the following result: the seat would not move; the the fuel door would pop open;  and the fuel cap would fly off.

[/quote]

ROFLMSAO, at least that would solve that pesky key problem for some folks
Back to top Go down
vader1701
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
vader1701

Number of posts : 106
Registration date : 2015-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Seat Modification: Automatic opener   Seat Modification: Automatic opener I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2016 10:09 am

I myself like the feature, I have made my Swing my own by changing the mirrors and also changed the dash illumination to Blue etc...The seat remote is one that I am really interested in. Thank you for the list of do-dads to buy looks like a fun project.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Seat Modification: Automatic opener   Seat Modification: Automatic opener I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Seat Modification: Automatic opener
Page 1 of 1