Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
Clutch spring modification I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 4:47 am

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Clutch spring modification I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Clutch spring modification I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Clutch spring modification I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Clutch spring modification I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Clutch spring modification I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Clutch spring modification I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Clutch spring modification I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Clutch spring modification I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
Clutch spring modification I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Clutch spring modification

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
arskal
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
arskal

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2017-07-13

Clutch spring modification Empty
PostSubject: Clutch spring modification   Clutch spring modification I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2018 2:31 pm

I found from SWCI Italia forum Honda SW-T clutch springs modification guide. The guide instructs you to stretch the clutch springs 1.6mm. The guide begin like this: (Italia language)

Lo scopo della modifica è di cercare di ottenere:

- una frizione che attacca a un regime più basso, e di conseguenza distacca ad una velocità più bassa. Ciò allo scopo
di mantenere il freno motore anche a basse velocità nelle discese di montagna ed evitare il continuo distaccoriattacco frizione in folle nelle code cittadine a bassa velocità.
- un rapporto di trasmissione con regime di giri motore più basso di circa 500 rpm rispetto all'originale, per migliorare il comfort di marcia specialmente in città.

I made this modification to my SWT-600 and I am so happy now. I ordered a new springs for this project. The clutch start engage now about 2050rpm and are full engaged about 2500 rpm. Above this rpm clutch start shifting. Very comfortable now. After this mod I set idle speed to 1200-1300rpm because when engine is cold enrichter rise rpm to 1800rpm. If idle speed is 1500, the rear wheel spin little with cold engine but I can stop it by hand. Here is link.

http://vaqdellelica.altervista.org/SWT400/TrasmissioneTranquillaHondaSWT400_2010.pdf
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Clutch modification   Clutch spring modification I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2018 11:33 am

arskal wrote:
I found from SWCI Italia forum Honda SW-T clutch springs modification guide. The guide instructs you to stretch the clutch springs 1.6mm. The guide begin like this: (Italia language)
                                            < Snip >

I made this modification to my SWT-600 and I am so happy now. I ordered a new springs for this project. The clutch start engage now about 2050rpm and are full engaged about 2500 rpm. Above this rpm clutch start shifting. Very comfortable now. After this mod I set idle speed to 1200-1300rpm because when engine is cold enrichter rise rpm to 1800rpm. If idle speed is 1500, the rear wheel sping little with cold engine but I can stop it by hand. Here is link.

http://vaqdellelica.altervista.org/SWT400/TrasmissioneTranquillaHondaSWT400_2010.pdf

That is an informative link. Unfortunately I'm unable to get Google Tanslate to, um, translate it into english. But by imagining my way thru the charts & illustrations there is a lot of information there.

Can anyone confirm that the OEM clutch springs were tested and rated at 1.6 kg? Neither Honda nor anyone else has ever published a rating on those clutch springs.

If the OEM spring rating was known then it would be so much easier to compare and know where to start with sorting Dr Pulley's HiT clutch. I am planning on resurrecting the HiT clutch I removed from my wrecked 2003 SW and would like to set it up correctly with a minimum of fuss.

Glad to hear that stretching the OEM springs lowered the clutch-in to your satisfaction. Has it eliminated 'clutch squeal' as well?

Tim
Back to top Go down
arskal
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
arskal

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2017-07-13

PostSubject: Re: Clutch spring modification   Clutch spring modification I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2018 5:35 pm

Hi.

I noticed that the springs used in this guide are different product number than SW-T600 use.
SWT-600 used product 22401-MCT-000 and those lenght are 31,80mm. I streched these to 33,00mm. Little less than guide recommend, 1.2mm. Older Silverwing use little shorter springs. Anyway, regardless of model, stretch 1.2-1.6mm.
Interesting would be if you can use SWT600 spring on your older Silverwing model. Newer model use  0,6mm longer than older model. Then you dont need to do anything. Just, bought newer , SWT600, clutch springs.

About clutch squeal. I think that this mod help for this because clutch pads take a full contact faster. My SWT600 squeals when I bought it but I sanding clutch pads and clutch bell. It never come out after that. Even with this mod.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Clutch spring modification   Clutch spring modification I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2018 10:26 am

Then, as I understand it, the original FJS/FSC 600 clutch springs (22401-MCT-000) are are 31.8mm long while the clutch springs as used on the FJS400 (22401-MEF-000) are 30.6mm long. So the trick "performance" upgrade would be to remove the "MCT" springs and install the shorter "MEF" springs.

Unfortunately those "MEF" springs aren't available in North America.

Tim
Back to top Go down
Sidewinder Pilot
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Sidewinder Pilot

Number of posts : 200
Registration date : 2015-05-21

PostSubject: Re: Clutch spring modification   Clutch spring modification I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2018 10:43 pm

https://www.motorcyclespareparts.eu/en/honda-parts/22401mef000

Says Worldwide Shipping....

As far as obtaining earlier clutch in, I had a set of 30gr Dr Pulleys which brought engagement down to about 1900 rpm. This made it MUCH more controllable at slow speeds like parking lots and U-turns.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Clutch spring modification   Clutch spring modification I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Clutch spring modification
Page 1 of 1