Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Sinko De Mayo
scooter new at right price I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 3:33 pm

» May 2024 forum picture
scooter new at right price I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Today at 10:44 am

» checking the oil
scooter new at right price I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:13 pm

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
scooter new at right price I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
scooter new at right price I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
scooter new at right price I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
scooter new at right price I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
scooter new at right price I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:28 am

» Silver Wing for sale - UK
scooter new at right price I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:15 am

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
scooter new at right price I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:54 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

scooter new at right price

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3298
Registration date : 2009-08-18

scooter new at right price Empty
PostSubject: scooter new at right price   scooter new at right price I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2016 8:14 pm

Probably due to dead maxi-scooter sales in US market Kymco has lowered price of Kymco GT300i by $500 and then military discount of another $500 good thru end of March.

Their stuff is good---BMW uses their engines as Dealim does in Korea using Kymco power train in their 250 scooter.

I like riding new machines,Kymco with 2 year warranty, Low price-----goofy looks, bigger wheels ok with me. Kymco has accessory windshield, that probably be cut for safe look over and tip of shield close to nose for buffet free ride.

300cc fine for me. I really don't need another scooter/bike at this time.....planning on another 20,000 miles with SilverWing, but?????
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: scooter new at right price   scooter new at right price I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2016 9:07 pm

John,

Looks like a nice scoot and it has 28 hp so it will be plenty of power for the interstate doing the speed limit. I know my Honda Reflex (250cc) only had 20 hp and could only get a top speed of about 72 mph actual. Have you checked out the the Kymco Downtown 300? They have a few more hp and would have more weather protection. Kymco is good stuff though and I almost bought a Exciting 500 once but then found out the dealer was closing.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: scooter new at right price   scooter new at right price I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2016 12:07 am

I can't fault Kymco engines, there's one in my BMW 650GT that's running like a clock. The power to weight ratio of the Kymco is about the same as my BMW 650GT at 20 hp/lb so performance ought to be pretty good.
I'd prefer a bit more weather protection especially a real windshield. You're going to need some good rain gear too. I do think that machine would be better than mine in town with its lighter weight.
I like my scooter for it's cargo space since I often use it for grocery runs and such, how much room does that bike have?
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: scooter new at right price   scooter new at right price I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2016 8:27 am

Kymco accessory windshield is large and should be able to cut to look over size. As there is little under seat storage, top box is standard.

People 300 to me another maxi-scooter---plastic maybe hard to get off. Nose to tip of windshield distance great=same buffeting problem as the other 9 new maxi-scooters I purchased since 1990. I do not find all day rides pleasant with buffeting present.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: scooter new at right price   scooter new at right price I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2016 1:17 pm

Is the engine on this scooter solid mounted or does it move with the swing arm?
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: scooter new at right price   scooter new at right price I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2016 3:15 pm

Am planning on going to look at one tomorrow, will look carefully, I think I already know, no ABS yet.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: scooter new at right price   scooter new at right price I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2016 3:24 pm

Lack of ABS would be something that might stop me on a new scooter. If one rides mostly in town it might not be as much of a loss but I'd sure miss ABS on wet roads and sand/gravel ones. I often go up a gravel mountain road near town here just for the view. Coming down the road from the top is a lot less tense on that loose gravel thanks to the ABS.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: scooter new at right price   scooter new at right price I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2016 4:48 pm

Visited local Kymco dealer today.... no new stock on floor, some used, lots of old Italy stuff and sign on door"back at 4:30". So the Kymco idea goes bye bye for me.

Down the road stopped at Yamaha/Suzuki dealer---lots of new left over scooters on floor. So if I need new scooter/bike in a hurry, know where to go.
Back to top Go down
Kenjj50
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 220
Registration date : 2015-09-28

PostSubject: Re: scooter new at right price   scooter new at right price I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2016 8:16 pm

I've not rode the Yamaha Tmax, but from the reviews I read and the specs on the bike, it seems like a good choice if you can't find a Swing worth the money. I think they started making them in 2012, so you might find one with less than 10,000 miles. If it's been maintained, it should run like new. Just sayin'...
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: scooter new at right price   scooter new at right price I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2016 8:33 pm

I had new TMAX----sold as miles piled up---could be maint. nightmare. Really fun to ride

I don't buy used bikes, more fun to use new ones up. I am on second SilverWing, 2013 leftover, 30,000 miles now and plan is to ride it out to 50,000 and no problems and with luck no expense other than 2 more rear tires and one more belt change. Would not buy a third.

Suzuki Burgman 400''s work well for me, had 2 new ones-----and they have some features Honda doe not----but they need some bright colors!! 650 Burgman, not cheap/heavy but would work for me,have ridden one.

Yamaha SR400 left over, reduced price, looked good today---Had new SR500 in '78, so know what to expect.
Back to top Go down
Art
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 272
Registration date : 2015-12-25

PostSubject: Re: scooter new at right price   scooter new at right price I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2016 10:18 am

I like that SR400 too, but I'd want a few more ccs and an electric leg
kickstarts are no real problem, but if you're going a bunch of different places that are all fairly close by, it gets old, and I want some passing power on the freeway at 70
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: scooter new at right price   scooter new at right price I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

scooter new at right price
Page 1 of 1