Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Final Drive Noise banished
BBC weather didnt forecast this! I_icon_minitimeby dovahkiin Today at 1:29 am

» Rear shock longevity
BBC weather didnt forecast this! I_icon_minitimeby dovahkiin Yesterday at 10:55 pm

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
BBC weather didnt forecast this! I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
BBC weather didnt forecast this! I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks
BBC weather didnt forecast this! I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
BBC weather didnt forecast this! I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
BBC weather didnt forecast this! I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
BBC weather didnt forecast this! I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
BBC weather didnt forecast this! I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
BBC weather didnt forecast this! I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:16 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

BBC weather didnt forecast this!

Go down 
+2
Bash On!
phils a winger
6 posters
AuthorMessage
phils a winger
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
phils a winger

Number of posts : 179
Registration date : 2014-09-27

BBC weather didnt forecast this! Empty
PostSubject: BBC weather didnt forecast this!   BBC weather didnt forecast this! I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 03, 2015 5:04 pm

Been using the car since last friday, as it was dry this morning for a change and all the wheelie bins and trampolines had landed, thought i'll take the 'wing to work. Nice ride in, got a txt at work just before i left 'didnt you check the weather this morning ? its been raining all afternoon and the high street looks like a river !'

Replied i'll take it steady and off i went. 3 mile down the road and instead of rain it was sleet, some cars coming the other way had snow on the roof and bonnet, gulp! Another couple of miles, the snows on the road and a blizzard is blowing. Four miles later I've gone over the Breich Braes roller coaster, 1 medium hill with a bend, 4 humps over half a mile then a long hill with a bend at the top, then a long straight and its downhill. At this point i'm halfway home and just passing a garage that i know the owner of, do i leave it or carry on and assume the snow changes to rain, took a chance and sure enough it changed to sleet. Got drowned by a flooded road at a field entrance and ended up with a mouth full of water.

Got home just as the sleet turned to snow.

Last time i road in the snow was 1973, coming back from the east coast in yorkshire, just outside York it started to snow and within 2 miles it was 6 inch deep, slow ride to Leeds on a Honda 250. This time speed was around 30 mph and she never flinched once, she was probably more confident than i was, never going to advocate riding in the snow if you dont have to but it is sure nice to know she can do it. Anyone got a snowplough ?
Back to top Go down
Bash On!
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2015-08-24

PostSubject: Re: BBC weather didnt forecast this!   BBC weather didnt forecast this! I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 04, 2015 8:47 am

An epic story for the grandkids, Phil! Glad you and bike are safe.

Been wet here in Dallas (record rainfall this year) but no snow--yet.
Back to top Go down
oldgwingguy
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 247
Registration date : 2015-02-08

PostSubject: Re: BBC weather didnt forecast this!   BBC weather didnt forecast this! I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 04, 2015 9:07 am

BTDT with the change. When you live in the Great Lakes region and the southern shores of lake Erie you could count on those conditions as part of the lake effect AKA the snow belt.
It's happened to us on the BRP and going into Cody Wy. A bluebird day turns to a wintry mess not much to do except ride it out or park n pray.
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

PostSubject: Re: BBC weather didnt forecast this!   BBC weather didnt forecast this! I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 04, 2015 12:56 pm

My weekly ride to the coast on Wednesday was in the rain. Light rain when I left home, still light when I stopped. Heavy rain and fading light on the way home, quite unnerving at times as I couldn't see very well for the rain. I enjoyed every minute of it. Made me think of the little patches you can get in the USA which says "I ride in the Rain". really? wow!.Smile
Back to top Go down
oldgwingguy
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: BBC weather didnt forecast this!   BBC weather didnt forecast this! I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 04, 2015 2:49 pm

I ride in the Rain". really? wow!.Smile LOL, beats I ride bar to bar or pub to pub.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: BBC weather didnt forecast this!   BBC weather didnt forecast this! I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 05, 2015 12:02 am

The only gripe I have with riding in the rain is the bother of wiping the scooter down afterward. I've got warm dry gear for riding so it's not a matter of comfort, just the effort of cleaning up the bike afterward.
Back to top Go down
oldgwingguy
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: BBC weather didnt forecast this!   BBC weather didnt forecast this! I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 05, 2015 8:23 am

Today's dish is fog, left overs from last night which made a very slow drive home with visibility in some areas less than 500 feet.
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 757
Registration date : 2013-06-27

PostSubject: Re: BBC weather didnt forecast this!   BBC weather didnt forecast this! I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 05, 2015 9:03 am

Last summer we were on a long ride ( 250 miles) and we got caught in the driving rain for about 10-15 miles. I thoroughly enjoyed it. My buddies were not pleased at all. They are the type that only ride in fair weather, and any hint of rain, they either stay in or run for shelter. Only this time there was no shelter on the highway except for a couple of bridges that were already taken.
I wouldn't mind riding all the time, regardless of weather, but without a companion it's not fun for me.
Jay.
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

PostSubject: Re: BBC weather didnt forecast this!   BBC weather didnt forecast this! I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 05, 2015 12:29 pm

I'm just the opposite. I prefer to ride alone. I tried riding with others, but, it does not work for me. Others either, ride too fast ( breaking speed limits), or too slow, suddenly breaking on a curve. I like to be at my own pace and stop, or, change destination as the mood takes me. I ride most days and cannot be doing with othersĀ  saying, it's too cold, it's too wet or it's too windy. I do have a car but that is mainly used by my wife.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: BBC weather didnt forecast this!   BBC weather didnt forecast this! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

BBC weather didnt forecast this!
Page 1 of 1