Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Oil screen stuck
Really Hot Weather I_icon_minitimeby Nolabel10935 Yesterday at 11:20 pm

» Trike Riders! Stand up and be counted!
Really Hot Weather I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning
Really Hot Weather I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 2:50 pm

» Introduction.
Really Hot Weather I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 6:02 am

» Temperature Gauge Norm
Really Hot Weather I_icon_minitimeby Slugg Yesterday at 2:05 am

» Hello from North Florida
Really Hot Weather I_icon_minitimeby landisr Thu Jul 25, 2024 7:25 pm

» Radiator Removal
Really Hot Weather I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Thu Jul 25, 2024 6:31 am

» Crumpled...........
Really Hot Weather I_icon_minitimeby KurtPerthWA Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:46 pm

» Parting out 2004 Silverwing 600
Really Hot Weather I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:18 pm

» Stator wire gauge
Really Hot Weather I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:54 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Really Hot Weather

Go down 
+10
masontx
cerve137
oldgwingguy
MikeO
Meldrew
Lazyfox
Greysilver
exavid
Cosmic_Jumper
john grinsel
14 posters
AuthorMessage
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3306
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Really Hot Weather Empty
PostSubject: Really Hot Weather   Really Hot Weather I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 01, 2015 2:05 pm

This hot weather in the US South is killing my riding fun.

Changed oil on July 30---60days after last change-----1700 miles=not so much for me in summer. 100 degree F and high humidity are killers....then add bad southern food and dirty bathrooms, takes the fun out of it.

About 4 weeks ago I decided to ride to Key West again, SilverWing and new dog Jake.
Got about half way to Miami, got sick from heat/bad food/bad water----turned around, headed North, sick able to ride only 100-150 miles a day----Motel 6 to Motel 6, getting right into bed after checking in.

For me as rider FL has nothing to offer, so I missed nothng by turning around.

Do plan one ride to UP of Mich this summer and one to New Found Land/New BR. this summer, though.....as soon as it cools down
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Really Hot Weather Empty
PostSubject: Re: Really Hot Weather   Really Hot Weather I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 01, 2015 3:08 pm

Newfoundland, Mr Grinsel? Canada's best kept secret.

I've ridden there a couple of times. Gotta tell ya though that nowhere on The Rock is further than 60 miles from the ocean, so do come prepared for foul weather. Wind too. The wind is born in Newf'n'land. The people are great, but the roads are in sorry shape once off the TCH.

If you aren't budgeting for a "room" on the ferry then do spend a couple of extra bucks for a Reserved seat. The reserved seats are more spacious and comfortable and the reserved deck is less crowded than the general seating decks. Do take the "midnight" ferry too. You get a night's rest and the ferry docks about 07:00. That 07:00 arrival hold true coming from either direction, so if you're arriving back in Nova Scotia that arrival time would give you the opportunity to ride the Cabot Trail before continuing on the rest of your day's journey.

There is a hostel in Rocky Harbour, and while it isn't cheap it is a lot less expensive than any motel accommodations you'll find --and you get to enjoy the company of a few of the friendly local folks who live adjacent to the hostle too. Rocky Harbour is in Gros Morne National Park and is about half the way up the north west arm. If you are going all the way up to L'Anse aux Meadow or St Anthony area Marilyn's Hospitality House comes highly recommended by a couple of BMW ridersi met up that way.

And, hey, the further north you get the cooler the weather.

I'd go back in a new york minute.

Tim
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

Really Hot Weather Empty
PostSubject: Re: Really Hot Weather   Really Hot Weather I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2015 1:40 am

Been a bit warm the past few days here. 108F a couple days ago. Add to that the dense smoke we're getting from a forest fire about forty miles north of here and it's less than pleasant. Some flights have bypassed our airport due to low visibility at times the past two days. That doesn't stop us scooter boys, I've been on my scooter several times including a 100 mile run on Saturday.
Back to top Go down
Greysilver
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Greysilver

Number of posts : 494
Registration date : 2014-04-08

Really Hot Weather Empty
PostSubject: Re: Really Hot Weather   Really Hot Weather I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2015 11:19 pm

Tucson here, 109 yesterday, 107 today. Definite sting in the air. It does take the thrill outa the afternoon ride.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Really Hot Weather Empty
PostSubject: Re: Really Hot Weather   Really Hot Weather I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2015 10:28 pm

Getting somewhat tired of the smoke here. Today visibility at the airport was 1.7 miles. It does keep the temperature down to the low 90s though.
Back to top Go down
Lazyfox
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2015-04-07

Really Hot Weather Empty
PostSubject: Re: Really Hot Weather   Really Hot Weather I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 07, 2015 1:15 am

In my neck of the woods (Poland) the forecast for today is 37C(98.6F). This is pretty hot summer in Europe.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4192
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Really Hot Weather Empty
PostSubject: Re: Really Hot Weather   Really Hot Weather I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 07, 2015 5:30 am

It's currently about 16°C here in York and it may reach the giddy heights of 19°C / 66°F this afternoon. I've just baked a couple of bara brith and I'm off out for a ride when they'be cooled.

From the Meldrew collection I've chosen the black Klim Overland suit and a rather snazzy neon red hi-vis vest from Olympia.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3810
Registration date : 2009-06-29

Really Hot Weather Empty
PostSubject: Re: Really Hot Weather   Really Hot Weather I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 07, 2015 6:44 am

18 at the moment with fluffy white clouds obscuring the sun.
It was beautiful at 8.00. this morning when I went out - no clouds and azure-blue sky.
The temperature is expected to reach 21 for a few hours after 3.00. this afternoon.
Back to top Go down
Lazyfox
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Really Hot Weather Empty
PostSubject: Re: Really Hot Weather   Really Hot Weather I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 07, 2015 7:02 am

Meldrew wrote:
It's currently about 16°C here in York and it may reach the giddy heights of 19°C / 66°F this afternoon. I've just baked a couple of bara brith and I'm off out for a ride when they'be cooled.

From the Meldrew collection I've chosen the black Klim Overland suit and a rather snazzy neon red hi-vis vest from Olympia.

Thank you for the UK weather report.
We in Europe will suffer this heat for at least a week or so. Still riding after all.
Back to top Go down
oldgwingguy
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 247
Registration date : 2015-02-08

Really Hot Weather Empty
PostSubject: Re: Really Hot Weather   Really Hot Weather I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 07, 2015 7:41 am

For me as rider FL has nothing to offer, so I missed nothng by turning around.<<<<<< John have you been to the Clermont, Zepherhills, Plant City area? at least there are a dew hills and some curves there, granted pretty much else is flat and once you have seen the swamp the rest is pretty much the same.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3306
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Really Hot Weather Empty
PostSubject: Re: Really Hot Weather   Really Hot Weather I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 07, 2015 1:37 pm

Since I have already ridden to Key West several times, and tried back roads on one trip there, I still think, not a place to ride----trailer bikers love it when they come to Daytona, though.
Back to top Go down
cerve137
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2011-03-26

Really Hot Weather Empty
PostSubject: Re: Really Hot Weather   Really Hot Weather I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 08, 2015 3:20 pm

Hey John, when on your trip to the U.P. this summer, I strongly recommend copper peak in western u.p. above ironwood. Painted Rocks is epic, Ashland is beautiful. Check out some waterfalls and eat yourself silly.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Really Hot Weather Empty
PostSubject: Re: Really Hot Weather   Really Hot Weather I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 08, 2015 4:07 pm

cerve137 wrote:
Hey John, when on your trip to U.P. <>Painted Rocks is epic, Ashland is beautiful. Check out some waterfalls and eat yourself silly.

Oh?... There's good Road Food in the UP? Please tell me more. Hmm, maybe start a new Topic rather than hijack this one.

Tim
Back to top Go down
masontx
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
masontx

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2015-04-01

Really Hot Weather Empty
PostSubject: Re: Really Hot Weather   Really Hot Weather I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 08, 2015 8:56 pm

Having 100+ temps in my part of Texas right now, but heat rash is better than road rash, so ATGATT.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Really Hot Weather Empty
PostSubject: Re: Really Hot Weather   Really Hot Weather I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 08, 2015 11:47 pm

I find wearing my mesh jacket cooler than riding wearing a tee shirt. The mesh keeps the sun off your skin and lets the wind blow through.
Back to top Go down
gremlin
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
gremlin

Number of posts : 227
Registration date : 2015-04-09

Really Hot Weather Empty
PostSubject: Re: Really Hot Weather   Really Hot Weather I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 09, 2015 2:10 am

exavid wrote:
I find wearing my mesh jacket cooler than riding wearing a tee shirt. The mesh keeps the sun off your skin and lets the wind blow through.

What type / brand mesh jacket are you wearing? I am still looking for some sensible, safe gear to wear in the Australian summer and haven't seen anything locally. And having grown up somewhat from the days of riding in singlets, shorts and sandals I am desperately looking for some hot weather riding gear. sunny
Back to top Go down
oldgwingguy
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 247
Registration date : 2015-02-08

Really Hot Weather Empty
PostSubject: Re: Really Hot Weather   Really Hot Weather I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 09, 2015 7:03 am

First Gear mesh is what I've had for years, held up well, has the padded protection areas, would by another if needed. Frog Togs and Dry Rider for wet / cold rides.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Really Hot Weather Empty
PostSubject: Re: Really Hot Weather   Really Hot Weather I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 09, 2015 10:48 am

Same here, my First Gear jacket has held up well for about eight years so far. It did shrink a bit in my closet last winter but still fits well enough. I carry the liner in my bike because it takes up little room. That way if it does get chilly the liner helps quite a bit. One other good feature of the First Gear mesh jacket is that it does have some armor in strategic places in case of an unplanned dismount.

I also carry a small stuff bag with my Frogg Toggs, they don't take up much room. Around these parts one is apt to be hit by a shower any time of the year.
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

Really Hot Weather Empty
PostSubject: Re: Really Hot Weather   Really Hot Weather I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 09, 2015 7:33 pm

"I also carry a small stuff bag with my Frogg Toggs, they don't take up much room. Around these parts one is apt to be hit by a shower any time of the year."

We have similar whether here and I swear by Frogg Toggs too. But be warned Frogg Toggs will melt easy, real easy. Evil or Very Mad I will not ride anywhere without my Frogg Toggs.
Back to top Go down
Greysilver
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Greysilver

Really Hot Weather Empty
PostSubject: Re: Really Hot Weather   Really Hot Weather I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2015 11:15 pm

HMMMM Meldrew, whats a bara brith ?
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Really Hot Weather 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

Really Hot Weather Empty
PostSubject: Re: Really Hot Weather   Really Hot Weather I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2015 11:57 pm

Greysilver wrote:
HMMMM  Meldrew, whats a bara brith ?

Googled it up and one definition was "kind of like a fruitcake" which is redundant considering the baker. Laughing

Just kidding Meldrew. Your home must be wonderful with all the baking you do. cheers
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Really Hot Weather Empty
PostSubject: Re: Really Hot Weather   Really Hot Weather I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 11, 2015 5:12 am

Bara brith is a type of tea bread from Wales and bara brith means speckled bread. If you have Irish heritage Barm Brack also translates as speckled bread too. There seems to be many recipes for bara brith, my Welsh mother in law gave me a traditional recipe but it seemed to be very dense and heavy, so I used one using chopped up fresh apple and plums to replace some of the dried fruit. I'll let her decide if my version is any good.

Today I'm baking Pain de Mie, I've made two versions of this bread since I bought a Pullman bread tin in Las Vegas three months ago. One version uses butter and make a softer brioche tasting loaf and is very good for making a classic Grilled Cheese Sandwich. Today I'm making the plainer version which I prefer for toast and sandwiches.

I have to say that my Pullman bread tin which is made by USA Pan which I bought in Sur La Table is a quality item which I'm very pleased with. If you haven't already given up on this post you maybe thinking what's the old fool on about? A Pullman loaf tin is long and straight sided and has a sliding cover so the dough bakes to a perfectly symmetrical shape. The tin got it's name as it's supposed to look like a Pullman railway carriage.
Back to top Go down
Lazyfox
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Really Hot Weather Empty
PostSubject: Re: Really Hot Weather   Really Hot Weather I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 11, 2015 7:42 am

Meldrew wrote:
Bara brith is a type of tea bread from Wales and bara brith means speckled bread. If you have Irish heritage Barm Brack also translates as speckled bread too. There seems to be many recipes for bara brith, my Welsh mother in law gave me a traditional recipe but it seemed to be very dense and heavy, so I used one using chopped up fresh apple and plums to replace some of the dried fruit. I'll let her decide if my version is any good.

Today I'm baking Pain de Mie, I've made two versions of this bread since I bought a Pullman bread tin in Las Vegas three months ago. One version uses butter and make a softer brioche tasting loaf and is very good for making a classic Grilled Cheese Sandwich. Today I'm making the plainer version which I prefer for toast and sandwiches.

I have to say that my Pullman bread tin which is made by USA Pan which I bought in Sur La Table is a quality item which I'm very pleased with. If you haven't already given up on this post you maybe thinking what's the old fool on about?  A Pullman loaf tin is long and straight sided and has a sliding cover so the dough bakes to a perfectly symmetrical shape. The tin got it's name as it's supposed to look like a Pullman railway carriage.

You seems to be a very good candidate for a wife. Are you available by any chance? Laughing
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Really Hot Weather Empty
PostSubject: Re: Really Hot Weather   Really Hot Weather I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 11, 2015 9:51 am

I've already been PM'd by an American guy offering me a Green Card, but if nothing comes of that I'll brush up on my sourdough, rye, and caraway seed breads! Smile
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

Number of posts : 876
Registration date : 2012-04-29

Really Hot Weather Empty
PostSubject: Re: Really Hot Weather   Really Hot Weather I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 11, 2015 2:42 pm

Meldrew wrote:
I've already been PM'd by an American guy offering me a Green Card, but if nothing comes of that I'll brush up on my sourdough, rye, and caraway seed breads! Smile

If those offers don't work out I'm the next in line. How are you at poutine, butter tarts, anything with maple syrup, at least a Timmies coffee from the Keurig??  I love you I love you Wink
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

Really Hot Weather Empty
PostSubject: Re: Really Hot Weather   Really Hot Weather I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 11, 2015 8:20 pm

Pullman bread tin.
Really Hot Weather 41vlsfffW8L._AC_UL320_SR272,320_
Back to top Go down
Greysilver
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Greysilver

Really Hot Weather Empty
PostSubject: Re: Really Hot Weather   Really Hot Weather I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 15, 2015 12:47 am

Thanks Meldrew for a very informative baking lesson and for answering my question.
Back to top Go down
Greysilver
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Greysilver

Really Hot Weather Empty
PostSubject: Re: Really Hot Weather   Really Hot Weather I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 15, 2015 12:48 am

I forgot to say.........107 today here in Tucson and ............ 117 in Phoenix. Barf

Will be 111 here tomorrow. Not much riding in those temps. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down

Really Hot Weather
Page 1 of 1