Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Silverwing Brakes
Disappointed in high speed hiway travel - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Yesterday at 11:57 pm

» Hello from Illinois!
Disappointed in high speed hiway travel - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 5:50 pm

» LF extended back rest
Disappointed in high speed hiway travel - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Mon May 13, 2024 7:57 pm

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
Disappointed in high speed hiway travel - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Mon May 13, 2024 12:53 pm

» checking the oil
Disappointed in high speed hiway travel - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Mon May 13, 2024 10:11 am

» Left brake micro-switch
Disappointed in high speed hiway travel - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
Disappointed in high speed hiway travel - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

» Greetings from a 'Wing' newbie
Disappointed in high speed hiway travel - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Fri May 10, 2024 8:11 am

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Disappointed in high speed hiway travel - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Wed May 08, 2024 12:11 pm

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
Disappointed in high speed hiway travel - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Tue May 07, 2024 6:46 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Disappointed in high speed hiway travel

Go down 
+40
oldwingguy
ItBeMe
The Bern
SlvrwngTraveler
Easyrider
westgl
compguy
Jinglebob
Bash On!
Az Kicker
FLY_DMy
vmaximus
clivewalsh
MikeO
oldgwingguy
DanB
"Hi Yo"
Chris Olson
hotwings
Sidewinder Pilot
Meron
Riggers
RickV
GHM-PM
tinman
gremlin
model28a
Old Limey
john grinsel
Meldrew
ScottO
Winger61
HORNBLOWER
dspevack
Dale N.
exavid
NWSSC
Cosmic_Jumper
JeffR
dalehazelton
44 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
dalehazelton
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
dalehazelton

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2015-08-18

Disappointed in high speed hiway travel - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Disappointed in high speed hiway travel   Disappointed in high speed hiway travel - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2015 8:00 pm

First topic message reminder :

Okay, bought the Silverwing a few weeks ago and around town it's great. Went camping up in Watkins Glen this past weekend and it packed well with a big tent under the seat and GIVI scooter saddlebags and a top bag on the pillion seat. I took secondary roads the whole way up and was pleased. On the way home I took the interstate and at a true 65mph the bike was all over the place. There was a sound between 60-65 that I could only describe as a rhythmic frequency oscillation that might come from the Bridgestone HOOPS. It was annoying but I had to stay at that speed or get run over.

I had a Burgman Exec and it never handled as squirrely as this bike. The Silverwing followed tar snakes and going over a couple of steel deck bridges was frightening. My air pressure was correct.

Also this motor buzzes like crazy compared to the Burgman 650. Rolling on the throttle on an on ramp and the mirrors were just about useless.

I could also use more room in the cockpit. On the Burgman I could stretch out my legs perfectly straight and lock them there. I need a couple more inches on the Silverwing but the backrest is all the way back.

I was hoping this would be my long distance tourer but I think it's just under powered and undersized for that. Please tell me what can be done to change my mind.
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
oldgwingguy
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 247
Registration date : 2015-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Disappointed in high speed hiway travel   Disappointed in high speed hiway travel - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 16, 2015 8:07 am

exdavid true that and I'll start a new thread with my next question about the down hill free wheeling.
Back to top Go down
westgl
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2014-04-11

PostSubject: Re: Disappointed in high speed hiway travel   Disappointed in high speed hiway travel - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2016 11:15 pm

When riding any bike it's better loosen your grip and relax tightening up and really griping the bike will make it a less comfortable ride make sure the rear shocks are set right for the freeway and the rest will work it self out
Back to top Go down
westgl
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2014-04-11

PostSubject: Re: Disappointed in high speed hiway travel   Disappointed in high speed hiway travel - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2016 11:22 pm

Going to a car tire help make the ride more comfortable

Last edited by westgl on Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
gremlin
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
gremlin

Number of posts : 227
Registration date : 2015-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Disappointed in high speed hiway travel   Disappointed in high speed hiway travel - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2016 2:56 am

westgl wrote:
Going to a car tire help make the ride more comfortable
I put in about 2 - 4 ounces of ATF (Automatic Transmission Fluid) in the gas tank as it cleans as good as seafoam. BUT  ATF also LUBES as it cleans like the fuel pump injectors valves rings pistons the engine vibes really smooth out the vibes you normally feel through the bars grips seat floor boards is noticeably reduced

yes, I have a few ounces of it from time to time, lubricates the throat, lines the stomach, helps digestion and works even better further down. geek geek

I am glad you put this on the forum as a personal habit and not a recommendation for others to follow. I have read a lot of good advice on this forum, but i don't think this is based on any science and I pity anyone who will replicate your fuel mixture.

Sorry mate, I honestly did not know whether to laugh or cry when I read that.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4179
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Disappointed in high speed hiway travel   Disappointed in high speed hiway travel - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2016 5:21 am

If you read up about adding ATF to gasoline/petrol there's differences of opinion whether it does any good or is an old wives tale, depending on who you believe. I read a few comments saying it knackers O2 sensors, not a problem on the OP's ’05 Silver Wing as it won't have one. But the '08 onwards models do and that helps improve fuel efficiency, so you might eventually lose up to 10mpg and increased fuel bills for adding that slug of ATF. Then if your exhaust is tested for emissions like ours are in the UK annual MOT Test you could get an Advisory or even a Failure.

Back to top Go down
dalehazelton
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
dalehazelton

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2015-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Disappointed in high speed hiway travel   Disappointed in high speed hiway travel - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2016 7:11 am

I use a squirt of Marvel Mystery oil in my fuel which is speculated on the web to be transmission fluid and oil of clove to make it smell purty. I can see a small amount of ATF being used similarly. ATF and acetone is supposed to be a fantastic penetrating fluid so I don't see how it would clog anything, but I've never pulled an engine apart.
Back to top Go down
gremlin
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
gremlin

Number of posts : 227
Registration date : 2015-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Disappointed in high speed hiway travel   Disappointed in high speed hiway travel - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2016 7:57 am

I suppose there will always be those who know better than the manufacturers of their vehicles, tires, oils and fuels, despite the billions those guys invest in research. Some believe in conspiracies and others just think they are smarter. Takes all sort to make the world spin! Myself I have found that if I follow the manufacturers instructions and use good oils and fuels, my cars and bikes/scooters have always fared well.
I certainly respect anyone's right to do with their gear as they like, but I reserve the right not to believe until I have seen proof.

( I have a friend who puts a shot of Bundaberg Rum in his fuel, because he thinks it's better than Ethanol. I think he is right; but only for drinking)
Back to top Go down
Bash On!
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2015-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Disappointed in high speed hiway travel   Disappointed in high speed hiway travel - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2016 10:30 am

I use elixir of horned toad, stewed slowly in an iron pot over an open fire while reciting incantations from the shop manual.  Only works, though, if you're dressed in black robes leathers.  Oh, and only if done when the moon is full--so you have to plan ahead if you run low.

Last edited by Bash On! on Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

PostSubject: Re: Disappointed in high speed hiway travel   Disappointed in high speed hiway travel - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2016 1:46 pm

Reminds me of a time in the 60's, when, coming home from Wales in a car I ran out of petrol,( in those days petrol stations were not open twenty four hours). I was about four miles away from home and it was two o'clock in the morning. Nearby was some road works again, in those days, they used to put paraffin lamps around the works. I poured some Paraffin into my tank, from the lamps, and it got me home. Nobody ever believes me but that is what happened. Needless to say that was a one off.Smile
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Disappointed in high speed hiway travel   Disappointed in high speed hiway travel - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 16, 2016 5:21 am

I use to pour ATF down the carburetor throat(s) while running the motor at a high RPM to unstuck hydraulic lifters. This was done on cars and trucks.
Back to top Go down
SlvrwngTraveler
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
SlvrwngTraveler

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2017-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Disappointed in high speed hiway travel   Disappointed in high speed hiway travel - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 21, 2017 1:59 pm

This might help http://www.ride-on.com/ Once I filled my front tire with this product, my scoot now feels more "planted" than ever allowing me to moderately explore speeds higher than 75-80mph and still feel safe.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1987
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Disappointed in high speed hiway travel   Disappointed in high speed hiway travel - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 21, 2017 10:39 pm

I have Ride-On in both my tires. Rides smooth.
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2014-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Disappointed in high speed hiway travel   Disappointed in high speed hiway travel - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 22, 2017 11:36 am

Easyrider wrote:
I use to pour ATF down the carburetor throat(s) while running the motor at a high RPM to unstuck hydraulic lifters. This was done on cars and trucks.

scratch How does that work bud scratch if what you're pouring into the carburetor throat(s) manages to get to the hydraulic lifters you have a serious problem

By putting ATF into the carb' throats while the engine is running at high rev's all you're doing is UCL 'decoke' as recommended by Redex back in the days of side valve engines
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2014-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Disappointed in high speed hiway travel   Disappointed in high speed hiway travel - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 22, 2017 11:41 am

Old Limey wrote:
Reminds me of a time in the 60's, when, coming home from Wales in a car I ran out of petrol,( in those days petrol stations were not open twenty four hours). I was about four miles away from home and it was two o'clock in the morning. Nearby was some road works again, in those days, they used to put paraffin lamps around the works. I poured some Paraffin into my tank, from the lamps, and it got me home. Nobody ever believes me but that is what happened. Needless to say that was a one off.Smile  

Yep, that will work so long as the engine is good & hot before running it on parrafin, same system was used on some tractors in the UK during WW2 due to the lack of petrol, iirc it was Fergason that made a tractor with a two section fuel tank, 2 gallons petrol & 10 gallons parrafin (kerosene) i think.
Back to top Go down
ItBeMe
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 169
Registration date : 2017-09-29

PostSubject: Re: Disappointed in high speed hiway travel   Disappointed in high speed hiway travel - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 22, 2017 6:02 pm

Dale N. wrote:
I have Ride-On in both my tires. Rides smooth.

Well if that old fart Dale N says it is good stuff it must be so I ordered a jug of it for my front tire.
No going to put any in the rear tires just yet. chickendance
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Disappointed in high speed hiway travel   Disappointed in high speed hiway travel - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 22, 2017 6:05 pm

The Bern wrote:
Old Limey wrote:

Yep, that will work so long as the engine is good & hot before running it on parrafin, same system was used on some tractors in the UK during WW2 due to the lack of petrol, iirc it was Fergason that made a tractor with a two section fuel tank, 2 gallons petrol & 10 gallons parrafin (kerosene) i think.
That was a once a year thing done to my old Ford 8N back in 62.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Disappointed in high speed hiway travel   Disappointed in high speed hiway travel - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 22, 2017 11:23 pm

There's no doubt in my mind that the best touring two wheeler is the Honda Goldwing (BMW 1600GTL) probably an equal. I've owned the GL1000, GL1100, GL1200, GL1500 and two GL1800s. I've ridden a couple of 900 mile days on the 1500 and 1800 without physical pain. I wouldn't want to do a 900 mile one day ride on any of the maxi-scooters I've had (SW, B650, BMW C650GT). I have ridden a 300 mile round trip on a SW as well as on my BMW GT. No problem cruising 65-70mph comfortably on the freeway and better two lane roads where allowed. Admittedly they aren't as smooth as the 950lb big Wing but they weren't bad. I felt comfortable the times I've checked out the top speed of my scooters either. The smaller wheels aren't going to roll as smoothly as larger ones but really the radius of the tire and wheel isn't all that much smaller than the Goldwing.
If there is something that makes a SW squirrelly it's not the bike, something is out of whack.
Back to top Go down
SlvrwngTraveler
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
SlvrwngTraveler

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2017-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Disappointed in high speed hiway travel   Disappointed in high speed hiway travel - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 23, 2017 5:48 pm

@ exavid ... I agree with your statement...I also think SW's squirrelly behavior comes from inadequate suspension, smaller size wheels, angle of the front fork, total body length (it's a small boat of a scooter cyclops) and probably engine+belt vibrations. Don't get me wrong, I'm actually amazed that this scoot can achieve speeds higher than 70mph and still be somewhat stable and safe to ride. small moped
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1987
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Disappointed in high speed hiway travel   Disappointed in high speed hiway travel - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 23, 2017 9:53 pm

I will never admit that I had the speedo on my SWing reading 105 one time. But I will admit that it handled great then.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1568
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Disappointed in high speed hiway travel   Disappointed in high speed hiway travel - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 25, 2017 12:46 pm

Thought I'd drop in on this one.

I find my 2001 SW handles rather well for a scooter. Yeah, a bit squirrelly on some long corners although a new front tyre and front fork oil change recently helped with that. It feels fine on duals and motorways even with my Girlie on the back. My rear shocks need replacing so I'm hoping that will improve things even more.

I scrape the stand on left-handers rather more often than I would like but it proves that the handling can't be that bad. I would suggest that these beasts need good tyres, well-kept forks and decent rear shocks. Don't let things get old, apart from the rider, that can't be helped !
Back to top Go down
BarryH
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2017-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Disappointed in high speed hiway travel   Disappointed in high speed hiway travel - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 08, 2018 5:54 pm

When I bought my 05 Silverwing the riding position was cramped so I took off the butt rest and put on a back rest took care of the cramped riding position. As for riding I run 80 to 90mph on the beltway here in Houston and have no problem with strange handling or vibration, perhaps check your steering neck bearings. I ride hard and it is a decent city or short trip ride, got the new hip in and will be riding a Yamaha Venture for touring...Honda is a good buy for the money and very quick, could use a fuel tuner bogs down a bit on the low end, forksprings and better rear shocks..would help the ride. I installed a drink holder best mod you can make..hot down here in Texas
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Disappointed in high speed hiway travel   Disappointed in high speed hiway travel - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 08, 2018 7:56 pm

Dale N. wrote:
I will never admit that I had the speedo on my SWing reading 105 one time. But I will admit that it handled great then.

cheers That is the top speed on a SW.. I've done it myself but don't want take any turns at that speed on scooter. I tend to keep it below 75 suspension has its issues and tires are the other. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Modernman1953
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 379
Registration date : 2016-06-01

PostSubject: Re: Disappointed in high speed hiway travel   Disappointed in high speed hiway travel - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 08, 2018 11:19 pm

This is an old thread that took many turns before it was left idle. It went to the 3rd page before a car tire was mentioned.

It was an interesting read.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Disappointed in high speed hiway travel   Disappointed in high speed hiway travel - Page 3 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Disappointed in high speed hiway travel
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3