Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New to Me Swing
Touching up panels... I_icon_minitimeby john grinsel Today at 5:41 pm

» I said Farewell...
Touching up panels... I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Today at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Touching up panels... I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Touching up panels... I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Touching up panels... I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Touching up panels... I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Touching up panels... I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Touching up panels... I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Touching up panels... I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Touching up panels... I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Touching up panels...

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2009-01-10

Touching up panels... Empty
PostSubject: Touching up panels...   Touching up panels... I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2009 2:34 pm

I am asking for any advice from someone that has used the color rite pens to touch up scratches. I use to drop my scoot every day just getting on it.. have learned that is not a requirement now... bought the color rite pens 10 months ago and just now taking the time to do the touching up. The instructions that came with the pens gives the steps for different "Stage" colors. One, two and three stage. For my 03, they sent two pens. The base and candy apple red color. I am a little confused (lets all together say "dah!"). The base is a metalic color may dry white. Then the other pen is suppose to be the color of the scoot. Sounds like a two stage color to me. BUT, the instructions refer to a "base" only in the three stage color description. I don't got the clearcoat. The web site for color rite only suggests two applications. No clearcoat is mentioned. I am going to apply the base (20 mins between coats) two coats. Then apply the apple red color. If I am messing up, please stop me. I am going to be grilling some burgers before the red is applied, so I have a little time for you to help me.
Thanks again...
Gary
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Touching up panels...   Touching up panels... I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2009 5:44 pm

Gary,

That sounds right, but I would try it on something else first, to make sure it works right. Any kind of bare metal should be ok to test on. Let me know how it goes.

Mandy
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

PostSubject: Re: Touching up panels...   Touching up panels... I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2009 9:24 pm

Well, I followed the instructions and applied the base and color to the scratched panel. I have to say that it doesn't look any worse than it did. But it doesn't look a whole lot better either. I would not recommend this product for deep scratches like I had. The scratches are covered but the coverage is very sloppy looking. My scratches are along the bottom of the panel, so I am hoping they are less noticeable with the reddish color instead of the white plastic showing the deep scratches. The pens might work with slight ones, but I doubt it. I will take my panel to a professional painter soon and get it done right.

Gary
Back to top Go down
KurtPerthWA
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
KurtPerthWA

Number of posts : 1709
Registration date : 2009-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Touching up panels...   Touching up panels... I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2009 10:45 pm

Gary, from my early days in bikes we only ever repainted entire panels if they were "Candy Apple" colours as they were impossible to match. This developed my tendency to go for black as my friends nicknamed me "Autumn Leaves" for a while.
My MZ is a deep shade of metallic green and it fell off the stand and scarred the lower fairing. I found a very close spray touch up paint, but these oxidise/ fade much quicker than the original and now looks yuck. The CA red Vmoto lost value at trade in time on the Swing due to a minor altercation with the asphalt and leaning too hard in the corners.
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

PostSubject: Re: Touching up panels...   Touching up panels... I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2009 10:52 pm

I have heard of a professional painter just 20 miles from me that I will go see soon. I want one of two colors. To go back to the original 03 Candy Apple Red or the Pearl White. I also want to look at adding the new dash style. This is not going to happen in the next week. May be a few months while I save up some nickels. I am a whole lot less likely to drop my scoot again.
Gary
Back to top Go down
KurtPerthWA
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
KurtPerthWA

PostSubject: Re: Touching up panels...   Touching up panels... I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2009 11:12 pm

MMMMMMmmmm mmmmmm translucent pearl white...
Back to top Go down
Cornishman
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Cornishman

Number of posts : 181
Registration date : 2009-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Touching up panels...   Touching up panels... I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2009 2:07 am

A tip my dealer mentioned was to get some ladys' nail polish/varnish for the repair. Apparently it comes in just about every conceivable colour. Take your panel/scooter to a nail bar. it's pretty thick stuff and fills deep scratches.
Back to top Go down
KurtPerthWA
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
KurtPerthWA

PostSubject: Re: Touching up panels...   Touching up panels... I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2009 11:16 am

Hey I used that method back in the sixties, forgot all about it Cornishman.
I coated the stone chips on the lower fork legs and minor scratches on the old T20 Suzi with a black felt tip marker and used clear nail polish on it. It sets hard and blends into the basic colour like you say, as well as that it can be built up to various thickness. Its great for those niggly little scratches. Thanks for the reminder, now where is that silver polish?

elephant elephant elephant
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Touching up panels...   Touching up panels... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Touching up panels...
Page 1 of 1