Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Trike Riders! Stand up and be counted!
How do I lift a dropped Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Today at 8:06 pm

» Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning
How do I lift a dropped Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 2:50 pm

» Introduction.
How do I lift a dropped Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 6:02 am

» Temperature Gauge Norm
How do I lift a dropped Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby Slugg Today at 2:05 am

» Hello from North Florida
How do I lift a dropped Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 7:25 pm

» Radiator Removal
How do I lift a dropped Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 6:31 am

» Crumpled...........
How do I lift a dropped Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby KurtPerthWA Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:46 pm

» Parting out 2004 Silverwing 600
How do I lift a dropped Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:18 pm

» Stator wire gauge
How do I lift a dropped Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:54 pm

» Overheat problem
How do I lift a dropped Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:39 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

How do I lift a dropped Silverwing

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
masontx
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
masontx

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2015-04-01

How do I lift a dropped Silverwing Empty
PostSubject: How do I lift a dropped Silverwing   How do I lift a dropped Silverwing I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2015 2:57 am

My first day with my SW, I parked at my house on a slight up slope, so put on the parking brake after I got it on the center stand. Unfortunately the next day senility kicked in and I forgot there was such a thing as a parking brake. Repeated efforts to get off the center stand resulted in one last massive effort to fight the slope and get off the center stand. It worked, but left me off balance, and I dropped it on the right side. I couldn't seem to get the proper grip in the traditional back to the bike stance, so faced the bike, squatted and lifted.
I know there has to be a better way to lift a Silverwing. And I know it must be here somewhere, but my search term "dropped silverwing", "Lifting Silverwing", etc didn't produce any on topic results. Looking in the owners manual index didn't turn up anything either. So my question to the group is, How do you lift a Silverwing with top box attached and loaded? Don't want to strain the back or anything else important if I have to do it again.
Thanks for your collected wisdom.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4192
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: How do I lift a dropped Silverwing   How do I lift a dropped Silverwing I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2015 4:58 am

Hello mate, sorry to hear you dropped your Silver Wing. There's plenty of YouTube clips to view on 'how to lift a motorcycle' correctly without doing your back in or giving yourself a hernia. Smile
Back to top Go down
Cookie
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Cookie

Number of posts : 233
Registration date : 2011-10-03

PostSubject: Re: How do I lift a dropped Silverwing   How do I lift a dropped Silverwing I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2015 5:24 am

Hi Mason, sorry you dropped your Wing - it's easily done and I suppose part of the acclimatisation process.
I wouldn't use the centre stand if the bikes pointing uphill as getting it off again can be pretty 'hernia inducing' - although you know that now!
You don't need to use the handbrake with the centre stand since the back wheel is off he ground anyway. It's more for stopping the bike rolling off the side stand.
Anyway, it's upright now so enjoy your ride and have fun.
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 757
Registration date : 2013-06-27

PostSubject: Re: How do I lift a dropped Silverwing   How do I lift a dropped Silverwing I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2015 9:12 am

Mason, I dropped my bike after getting it off the centrestand. I was on a city street that had a slight incline towards the right, and as soon as it came off the centerstand it just fell away from me. I did not have to do anything: a young fellow saw what happened and came right over and up it went. At 62, most people look younger than myself.
A second time, I was doing a L U-turn in a driveway that looked like packed dirt and it was loose. Front wheel got mired and down it went. No harm done, I waited for some likely help to show up, and after 5 minutes, decided to give it a shot by myself. Wasn't loaded down, no top case, it was fairly easy to pick up on the left side. I just squatted down and got good grips and heaved up with my leg muscles.
If you have any doubts about your own ability to lift it, then I advise waiting or calling for help. I thought of flagging down a car, or going to the first house I could see.
Back to top Go down
masontx
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
masontx

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2015-04-01

PostSubject: Re: How do I lift a dropped Silverwing   How do I lift a dropped Silverwing I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2015 8:56 pm

I lifted it ok, but the traditional back to the cycle, grip the hand grip and grab rail, just didn't feel right. The weightlifter type stance felt more natural and it came up in one jerk. Hopefully it won't happen again, but as a brand new rider it is a distinct possibility. Thought maybe there was special Silver wing method that worked better than traditional motorcycle lift. Thanks for the advice.
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 757
Registration date : 2013-06-27

PostSubject: Re: How do I lift a dropped Silverwing   How do I lift a dropped Silverwing I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2015 11:51 am

The rear of the SWing is definitely heavier. My left arm is weaker than my right and I don't think I'd attempt it from the right side if it ever went down.
Back to top Go down

How do I lift a dropped Silverwing
Page 1 of 1