Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
Real World riding, weight question I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 1:54 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Real World riding, weight question I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Real World riding, weight question I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Real World riding, weight question I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Real World riding, weight question I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Real World riding, weight question I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Real World riding, weight question I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Real World riding, weight question I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Real World riding, weight question I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
Real World riding, weight question I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Real World riding, weight question

Go down 
+3
exavid
tinman
Mayprop
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Mayprop
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Mayprop

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2015-02-28

Real World riding, weight question Empty
PostSubject: Real World riding, weight question   Real World riding, weight question I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 28, 2015 8:07 pm

I would like some info on riding two up, both Heavy people.
The Manual states a limit of 392lbs all in, but if the Wife gets on, it will put us overweight by around 80lbs and thats without any luggage.
The Wife is an experienced pillion, but would it make the bike unsafe and unstable?
Any help and advice would be helpful.
Mike
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

PostSubject: Re: Real World riding, weight question   Real World riding, weight question I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 28, 2015 9:39 pm

There are more swings on the road with  over the limits of Honda recommended weight limits. Go on Utube Swing videos ,look at the riding clubs members having a good time.  Set your preload to #5,and tire pressures ,and go for a short spin to get the feel of the handling. My Pillion ,my Rat terrier ,and myself did just fin in the handling department ( well over the limit) LOL . I triked my Swing for health reason,and I still ride above the weight limit.when the family comes along. Smile Welcome to the Club.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Real World riding, weight question   Real World riding, weight question I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 01, 2015 12:20 am

I had no problem with the Mrs. on the back which combined with my bulk put us about 60+lbs over gross weight. I always ride very conservatively with long following distance when riding two up. The scoot's handling wasn't badly affected by the overload.

On my C650GT the two of us don't put the over the bike's max gross weight.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3291
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Real World riding, weight question   Real World riding, weight question I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 01, 2015 7:58 am

Overweight not good idea==bike can handle weight. Tires? Braking??

Rear Tire check max.weight at what pressure?

After 2 SilverWings,I find extra weight above and behind rear axle as min. screws up low speed handling/precision.....on bike that ain''t so good in that area in the 1st place.

Loaded bike goes down highway ok----Note: since 1990, 1st Maxiscooter purchased, I have had several rear tire failures----from either working the tire too hard,or bad tire , probably not overweight, I am very careful on correct tire air pressure, seldom overweight-----Bridgestone.....on Helix and later more than once with Reflex. Never went down-----but real thrill in Japan in wide/high speed sweeper tire came apart------in the days of non linked brakes....was safely able to slow down using front under MY Control. Currently on my SilverWing, on second or third Michelin Power Pure SC rear---on these note, max load at lower pressure (33 I think) than other makers the spec max load at up to 42psi. Following makers' recommendation on pressure, got over 10,000 miles on last rear----bike loaded but not overloaded on return run from Alaska-----just extra careful in rain/wet on my part as tire wore down.

Be careful!!

Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Real World riding, weight question   Real World riding, weight question I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 01, 2015 9:11 am

Had many different mc tires on my Swing ,and like Mr Grinsel the Michelin pure sport dual compound  was the best for ware when tire pressure is at recomended max load. ( IMO do not get the Avon Stryker, replace mine at less  then 4 k kl.)
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Real World riding, weight question   Real World riding, weight question I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 01, 2015 2:31 pm

It's surprising how little difference there is in the payload comparison of various bikes and scooters. If you chase down the legitimate payload (bike, passengers, luggage)-(fueled curb weight) the result is very similar even between the Silverwing and a Goldwing. Hard to believe but if you look up the numbers that's a fact using the 2013 models for a comparison. I know that at low speed in parking lots I feel a lot more relaxed on my C650GT than I did on my Goldwing with a pillion passenger. And that's with about 300,000 miles total on several GWs. On my 650GT the factory payload limit is 414lbs. By the book the GW has a 412lb. load limit.

When you think about it, it's not so odd. Both bikes have similar brake sizes in the GT and Goldwing comparison. both have nearly the same contact patch on the road as well. But the big GW has a lot more mass and momentum to deal with, more stress on tires, much more work for the brakes, etc. The maxi scooters may not be as large but their mass x velocity loads are a lot less. Same for the tires the weight load limits aren't all that much different either. In many ways the big bike is operating closer to it's limits than the scooters are.

I really can't find a good write up of the risk to riders and passengers on scooters compared to big road bikes but doubt the large heavy bike is really much safer in an accident. The only real advantage I can see on the big bikes like a Goldwing is a smoother ride, a bit less fatigue for the riders and a bike that can easily go 500,000 miles with minimal maintenance.

The longevity is nice but for the price of a Goldwing you can buy nearly three maxi scooters. After being a long time GW rider I can really appreciate the advantages of maxi scooters. I've tried all three of the main brands and like all of them but so far the GT is the best for me. I wish Honda had kept on with the SW in the US and updated it. BMW does have a 2015GT out in the US, I don't see much change from my '13 other than paint color. It appears they've dropped the C600 Sport. Too bad a lot of riders in this country think scooters are a bit 'sissy'. They'd be surprised if they tried one. But without a real good marketing campaign like Honda had with the "You meet the nicest people on a Honda motorcycle" scooters sales are always going to be hurt by the macho Harley marketing.
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Real World riding, weight question   Real World riding, weight question I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 01, 2015 4:27 pm

The big difference from a new Gwing, and new scooters is air gags,and $25 k bucks,plus the xtra taxes. Smile
Back to top Go down
Mayprop
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Mayprop

PostSubject: Re: Real World riding, weight question   Real World riding, weight question I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 01, 2015 4:52 pm

Thank you all for the advice, and after speaking to the Wife, she has decided it's not worth the risk, she has other hobbies and interests and is leaving the biking to me Smile
The roads in the UK are not the same as the US or Canada where you have long highways that go on for miles with very little traffic compared to over hear where it is very congested, and you can't ride for more than a few miles without encountering heavy traffic, roadworks and cars with drivers who are blind to bikes Crying or Very sad sorry about the negativity over here, but we are a small Island with far to many people and vehicals to make touring a pleasure.
I envy the the space to roam you have, although I'm sure it's not all perfect.
Stay safe
Mike cheers
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Real World riding, weight question   Real World riding, weight question I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 01, 2015 5:50 pm

You can always get a after market removable trike kit install.My Trigg trike kit was the only way I could still ride with my pillion riding in stop and go traffic . It takes 10 minutes to remove if I want to go 2 wheeling when riding solo,but I have no intention to ride without the trike .Balancing my Swing is no longer a problem in my case.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4170
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Real World riding, weight question   Real World riding, weight question I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 01, 2015 6:11 pm

Any negativity is your own mate, there's great riding roads up here in North Yorkshire, we've the Yorkshire Wolds, the Yorkshire Dales where I go to eat pie and mash of a quality that Cockneys can only dream about, and the North Yorkshire Moors over to Whitby and the coast. My home county of Cumbria also has miles of quiet biking roads, have you ridden over Hardknott or Wrynose Passes or any of the Lakeland fell roads? The biggest hazard there is not heavy traffic and dozey drivers, but dozey Herdwick sheep wandering out into the road.

There's also the long highways that you're were on about too, they're not horizon to horizon long like in Arizona, but they've been here since the Romans originally built them, and there's one follows the route of Hadrian's Wall. I can also be over the border into the South of Scotland in about three hours riding which includes the scenic ride over the Pennines.

So where I live I'm spoiled for choice, you're simply living in the wrong part of the UK.
Back to top Go down
Mayprop
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Mayprop

PostSubject: Re: Real World riding, weight question   Real World riding, weight question I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 02, 2015 4:05 am

You are right Meldrew, can't go South without getting the bike wet Laughing you are really lucky to have such great roads.
Back to top Go down
bikerboy
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2011-05-12

PostSubject: Real world riding weight question   Real World riding, weight question I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 02, 2015 4:52 am

Don't tell everyone Meldrew, we do not want invading by all the Southern softies !!
Back to top Go down
Mayprop
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Mayprop

PostSubject: Re: Real World riding, weight question   Real World riding, weight question I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 02, 2015 6:39 am

Bikerboy
Why on Earth would we want to invade the North, when we have better weather, people that can actually speak English, and something called jobs:lol:
Back to top Go down
bikerboy
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2011-05-12

PostSubject: Real world riding weight question   Real World riding, weight question I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 02, 2015 4:25 pm

I didn't hear a lot of English being spoken last time I was darn sarth !
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Real World riding, weight question   Real World riding, weight question I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 02, 2015 5:50 pm

Mayprop wrote:
Bikerboy
Why on Earth would we want to invade the North, when we have better weather, people that can actually speak English, and something called jobs:lol:  

Yes we've all heard that one before, and they're constantly queuing up in Calais to sneak into the South for the good weather and jobs aren't they.
Back to top Go down
Mayprop
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Mayprop

PostSubject: Re: Real World riding, weight question   Real World riding, weight question I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 02, 2015 5:59 pm

bikerboy wrote:
I didn't hear a lot of English being spoken last time I was darn sarth !

English translation would be down South, you made my point for me Laughing
Back to top Go down
Mayprop
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Mayprop

PostSubject: Re: Real World riding, weight question   Real World riding, weight question I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 02, 2015 6:05 pm

Meldrew wrote:
Mayprop wrote:
Bikerboy

Yes we've all heard that one before, and they're constantly queuing up in Calais to sneak into the South for the good weather and jobs aren't they.

I have no idea what imigration has to do with the topic of riding, maybe your age has caught up with you.
Get well soon, and I will end this thread before it gets silly Smile
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Real World riding, weight question   Real World riding, weight question I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 02, 2015 6:30 pm

Ah, the universal differences between the North and South.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Real World riding, weight question   Real World riding, weight question I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 02, 2015 7:04 pm

Mayprop wrote:
I have no idea what imigration has to do with the topic of riding, maybe your age has caught up with you.
Get well soon, and I will end this thread before it gets silly Smile

It's spelled immigration not imigration, and it had as much to do with the topic of riding as your comment had to bikerboy about the North.

I'm not ill and age hasn't caught up with me as you've no idea what it is, you're just assuming I'm like the Meldrew character off the telly. My waistline hasn't caught up with me either, as myself and Mrs M together don't exceed the maximum weight limit on the Silver Wing 'Real World riding' at home or abroad.  Smile
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2540
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Real World riding, weight question   Real World riding, weight question I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 02, 2015 8:58 pm

And off we go chasing rabbits! Let me get me gun! Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Real World riding, weight question   Real World riding, weight question I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Real World riding, weight question
Page 1 of 1