Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Trike Riders! Stand up and be counted!
Overheating Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Today at 8:06 pm

» Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning
Overheating Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 2:50 pm

» Introduction.
Overheating Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 6:02 am

» Temperature Gauge Norm
Overheating Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby Slugg Today at 2:05 am

» Hello from North Florida
Overheating Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 7:25 pm

» Radiator Removal
Overheating Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 6:31 am

» Crumpled...........
Overheating Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby KurtPerthWA Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:46 pm

» Parting out 2004 Silverwing 600
Overheating Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:18 pm

» Stator wire gauge
Overheating Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:54 pm

» Overheat problem
Overheating Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:39 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Overheating Silverwing

Go down 
+5
Porkie
JeffR
Old Limey
The Bern
Ofer Rothmann
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Ofer Rothmann
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Ofer Rothmann

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2013-05-06

Overheating Silverwing Empty
PostSubject: Overheating Silverwing   Overheating Silverwing I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 14, 2014 6:22 am

Hi Guys,

Recently when I'm standing in one place for a long time without driving the Silverwing start overheating.
While driving everything is ok and the engine is cooling down to the normal temp.
I checked the fan and it's working correctly,coolant level is ok but i saw a little bit of green residue between the two peaces of thermostat casing.

I am suspecting that the thermostat is not opening all the way while the engine is hot, and I already bought a new one just to be on the safe side, should i check for anything else?

Thanks,

Ofer Rothmann
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2014-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Overheating Silverwing   Overheating Silverwing I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 14, 2014 6:37 am

I would say that is normal, with the machine stationary there is no wind passing through the radiator to help dissipate heat, so long as the fans are coming on & taking the temperature back down all will be fine.
Back to top Go down
Ofer Rothmann
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Ofer Rothmann

PostSubject: Re: Overheating Silverwing   Overheating Silverwing I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 14, 2014 6:47 am

The Bern wrote:
I would say that is normal, with the machine stationary there is no wind passing through the radiator to help dissipate heat, so long as the fans are coming on & taking the temperature back down all will be fine.

Thanks for the reply,
The problem is that when the silverwing is standing and the fans are working, the engine temp continue to climb up and the engine is not cooling down.
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

PostSubject: Re: Overheating Silverwing   Overheating Silverwing I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 14, 2014 10:02 am

Ahhh I see in that case check/change the 'stat as is possibly the fault, but if it were mine I would first take off the vented plastic panel & thoroughly soak the radiator fins with a hose pipe (not a pressure washer), then give them a clean with a wet soft brush then wash again, any dirt/sand  build up on the fins &/or cores will drastically reduce the efficiency of the fans.
Back to top Go down
Ofer Rothmann
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Ofer Rothmann

PostSubject: Re: Overheating Silverwing   Overheating Silverwing I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 14, 2014 10:32 am

Sorry,
Didn't know what the marks on the right-hand side mean and accidentally pressed the "-", how can i change it?
Back to top Go down
Ofer Rothmann
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Ofer Rothmann

PostSubject: Re: Overheating Silverwing   Overheating Silverwing I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 14, 2014 11:58 am

The Bern wrote:
....but if it were mine I would first take off the vented plastic panel & thoroughly soak the radiator fins with a hose pipe (not a pressure washer), then give them a clean with a wet soft brush then wash again, any dirt/sand  build up on the fins &/or cores will drastically reduce the efficiency of the fans.
My thoughts exactly Laughing
Any reason not to flush the radiator like this guy?
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

PostSubject: Re: Overheating Silverwing   Overheating Silverwing I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 14, 2014 4:02 pm

Yep, that's a good example Smile
Back to top Go down
Ofer Rothmann
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Ofer Rothmann

PostSubject: Re: Overheating Silverwing   Overheating Silverwing I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 15, 2014 4:35 am

The Bern wrote:
Yep, that's a good example Smile
Did you see that he's using vinegar to flush the system? any bad reaction can be caused by using vinegar in an aluminium engine?
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

PostSubject: Re: Overheating Silverwing   Overheating Silverwing I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 15, 2014 12:18 pm

On my Last Silverwing i had an overheating problem whilst in standing traffic. In my case the lower fan grill had gotten full of dead insects etc. A good power jet of water(from a hosepipe) on the grill cleared bugs and it was okay from then on. Smile
Back to top Go down
Ofer Rothmann
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Ofer Rothmann

PostSubject: Re: Overheating Silverwing   Overheating Silverwing I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 21, 2014 7:33 am

So.. on Friday morning I drained the old coolant, released and took apart the Thermostat housing and I saw that there was a residue of calcium on the inner side of the thermostat, case and O-ring.
It looks like the previous owner filled tap water in the cooling system Shocked .
Because this is an aluminum part I didn't want to scratch by using a sand paper or screwdriver, so i soaked it in hot water with vinegar and citrus salt to remove all the residue.

Then I replaced the thermostat to a new one+O-ring and flushed the system with water and vinegar, then i filled the cooling system with new coolant- now it looks fine. cheers
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2600
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Overheating Silverwing   Overheating Silverwing I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 21, 2014 1:53 pm

Ofer,

Congrats on finding the problem and then telling us what how you fixed it. Some here will report a problem but not come back later to tell us what they did. Good news for you.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
Porkie
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Porkie

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2014-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Overheating Silverwing   Overheating Silverwing I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 01, 2015 9:32 am

I looked all over for a 'Hosepipe' and couldn't find one? Smile

Sam:)
Back to top Go down
http://www.carthageelectronics.com
AlyD
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2019-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Overheating Silverwing   Overheating Silverwing I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2019 5:30 pm

Ofer Rothmann can you please share with us what you did by either a video or photos on what you actually did to overcome the overheating problem ? Feel free to send me a message or email waiting your reply thank you.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Overheating Silverwing   Overheating Silverwing I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2019 11:16 pm

AlyD, Since you've only 1 post you are not going to be able to send or receive PMs. However, if you read this entire thread I think that you'll understand the steps to take with an overheating problem.
Back to top Go down
terrier
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
terrier

Number of posts : 300
Registration date : 2015-08-12

PostSubject: Re: Overheating Silverwing   Overheating Silverwing I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2019 2:19 pm

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
AlyD, Since you've only 1 post you are not going to be able to send or receive PMs. However, if you read this entire thread I think that you'll understand the steps to take with an overheating problem.

ALSO, an introduction would be nice before asking for help  Mad Mad Mad
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4192
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Overheating Silverwing   Overheating Silverwing I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2019 2:40 pm

AlyD wrote:
Ofer Rothmann can you please share with us what you did by either a video or photos on what you actually did to overcome the overheating problem ? Feel free to send me a message or email waiting your reply thank you.

You'll have a long wait, have you not noticed this topic was started way back in December 2014 by Ofer Rothmann, and the last time he logged onto the forum was two years ago.
Back to top Go down

Overheating Silverwing
Page 1 of 1