Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Trike Riders! Stand up and be counted!
Seat, backrest, suspension, windshield  I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Today at 8:06 pm

» Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning
Seat, backrest, suspension, windshield  I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 2:50 pm

» Introduction.
Seat, backrest, suspension, windshield  I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 6:02 am

» Temperature Gauge Norm
Seat, backrest, suspension, windshield  I_icon_minitimeby Slugg Today at 2:05 am

» Hello from North Florida
Seat, backrest, suspension, windshield  I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 7:25 pm

» Radiator Removal
Seat, backrest, suspension, windshield  I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 6:31 am

» Crumpled...........
Seat, backrest, suspension, windshield  I_icon_minitimeby KurtPerthWA Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:46 pm

» Parting out 2004 Silverwing 600
Seat, backrest, suspension, windshield  I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:18 pm

» Stator wire gauge
Seat, backrest, suspension, windshield  I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:54 pm

» Overheat problem
Seat, backrest, suspension, windshield  I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:39 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Seat, backrest, suspension, windshield

Go down 
+11
Dramhunter
exavid
toolboxjesse
billc.
DaveR
model28a
DickO
john grinsel
dspevack
JeffR
flylow
15 posters
AuthorMessage
flylow
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
flylow

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2014-11-22

Seat, backrest, suspension, windshield  Empty
PostSubject: Seat, backrest, suspension, windshield    Seat, backrest, suspension, windshield  I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 29, 2014 4:40 pm

Hope everyone had a good Turkey Day, for those of you not in the USA--you really missed good eats. As a recent SW owner (previous R1100R, R1200RT, Goldwing) this scooter is fun, 600 miles this past week.  My recent purchase, 2012 SW--I had a feeling I would want to do a few things to improve my ride.  I've had custom saddles on previous bikes, very good but expensive.  So my real each started. The forum has been very informative and many good ideas tossed around.
1. As a approach 60, I want a comfortable seat.  No reason for my butt to to regret riding. I fly a Gulfstream 550 for a living and use a pad on the long flights.  Not wanting to spend a fortune-- first removed the butt bumper, instantly more comfortable.  Next I installed an Airhawk R inflatable pad ($137) First ride today, awesome.
2.  Backrest kit coming in from http://www.3brothersperformance.com.  $60.  Spoke with them. It it looks like a nice system. Many are out there.  Should arrive this week, but I will be out of the country.  Install is easy
3. Givi Airflow 214AF being ordered this week..$250
4.  Front suspension being reworked by http://www.traxxion.com
Traxxion Dynamics in Atlanta, actually a little town north-Woodstock.  This is the big hit, about $600. I had my Goldwing modified and it made a huge difference and believe it made the bike safer.  They said the difference to the SW is fantastic- of course I was talking with a salesman.
I will update with pictures as I get things done.
Ride safe and "flylow"
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2600
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Seat, backrest, suspension, windshield    Seat, backrest, suspension, windshield  I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 29, 2014 5:06 pm

Malcolm,

Looks like you will have one really nice SWing when you are done. Here is a link on how to posts pics on the site:

https://www.silverwing600.com/t850-posting-pictures-in-the-main-forum-in-any-topic

I'm curious about the Traxxion suspension and I have never heard of them before. I had the springs replaced with Hyperpro's when is a great mod for only about $155.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
flylow
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
flylow

PostSubject: Re: Seat, backrest, suspension, windshield    Seat, backrest, suspension, windshield  I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 29, 2014 7:32 pm

Seat with Air HawkR and parts for front suspension

Seat, backrest, suspension, windshield  Img_0910

Seat, backrest, suspension, windshield  Fullsi10
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Seat, backrest, suspension, windshield    Seat, backrest, suspension, windshield  I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 29, 2014 11:44 pm

Flylow,

Nose dive is a common problem with the Silverwing.
Those that want to resolve it use the hyperpro progressive springs as Jeff said.
Its a common upgrade.
Other than springs, what are you having done?
Back to top Go down
flylow
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
flylow

PostSubject: Re: Seat, backrest, suspension, windshield    Seat, backrest, suspension, windshield  I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 30, 2014 12:38 am

From Traxxion Dynamics--We use RT Emulators, but we manufacture damper rods to specifically to work
with them, instead of having you drill and braise holes, etc. Better
performance, and if you do the install yourself, no chance of messing up
your damper rods so you have to buy new ones, go back inside the forks four
times because it doesn't work right, etc.

Our kit will be custom setup for your weight and how you ride, spring rates,
preload spacers cut to the right length, emulators set up properly, etc. If
you would like us to do the installation, we charge $200 including a full
fork service, and seals.

This will be a big improvement, much better handling, better grip, less
brake dive, and more compliance for a comfortable ride.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3306
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Seat, backrest, suspension, windshield    Seat, backrest, suspension, windshield  I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 30, 2014 9:11 am

I would not waste too much money on mods----SilverWing is what it is.....and does a pretty good job of it---it is a scooter. To me at over 1.5 million 2 wheel miles---custom seat/ rider back rest waste of money. Seat trick is hot....wear no underwear.....and get off every 50 miles or one hour and walk around. I rode my SilverWing to 46 states 2014, the other 3, my TU250----so plenty of seat time---no butt damage. 75 yr old butt-----but feet forward not best to spine or control.

Probably correct tires/fresh and keeping load low will keep handling in the good scooter range. I am on second new SilverWing------even though I use my Givi box, E-45 about 99% of the time---I think it is a minus on handling
Back to top Go down
flylow
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
flylow

PostSubject: Re: Seat, backrest, suspension, windshield    Seat, backrest, suspension, windshield  I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 30, 2014 12:08 pm

I agree about not putting too many $$$ in a scooter. The modification are for my riding style and comfort. I have a cabin in north Georgia which is 90 miles from my home in Atlanta, or the very scenic route on some of the best riding in the state is about 130. My comfort is predicated on the range of the tank. Better handling=safety in my opinion. I don't ride the curves as I use too, would be foolish. But I do enjoy better handling and enjoy projects. I haven't decided about a top case because of handling issues at higher speeds. Unfortunately my new helmet will not fit in the seat storage. I'm getting as much enjoy from the SW or more than I did from my previous rides. Fortunately I purchased the SW at a very very good price which has allowed me to spend around $1000 on the additions.
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

PostSubject: Re: Seat, backrest, suspension, windshield    Seat, backrest, suspension, windshield  I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 30, 2014 1:16 pm

Some here say the upgraded springs aren't worth it but I did it and I think after getting an after market shield, that the springs should be the next mod. It gives it more of a m/c feel in my opinion. I also had the 3 brothers backrest and it was nice but made it more difficult for my wife to get on the back with it. But it was nice.
Back to top Go down
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1019
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Seat, backrest, suspension, windshield    Seat, backrest, suspension, windshield  I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 30, 2014 5:46 pm

Hi All,
I'm not an everyday rider and thus not a high mile rider like many on this site; getting out on Patriot Guard and American Legion missions plus occasional pleasure jaunts and short runs into town on errands, is the bulk of my riding.  Still, my personal take on mods is that, "if it feels good, do it".  It's your own personal transportation so you should enjoy it any way you want to make it.  Money ???  Well you can't take it with ya'.  Do what makes you happy. Still, I know one of these days I'll be adding to my ride also and will make good use of the info to be found here.  End of Rant...
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Seat, backrest, suspension, windshield    Seat, backrest, suspension, windshield  I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 30, 2014 8:30 pm

flylow most top boxes are removable and come off easy. I would get one and if you feel the need to take it off when you go for a ride that you feel your scooter would handle better without it leave it at home. A top box can make the difference between taking the car to pick up a few groceries or having a reason to use your scooter. Be careful, sometimes it's best to get the groceries on the way home after a ride so things won't spoil. Then again if something spoils you can go for another ride oops, I mean the grocery store. Wink Also when you ride without the top box be sure to keep some bungee cords under the seat to hold stuff on the top box mount if needed.
Back to top Go down
flylow
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
flylow

PostSubject: Re: Seat, backrest, suspension, windshield    Seat, backrest, suspension, windshield  I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 08, 2014 8:04 pm

This morning I had the front suspension modified, all new parts, by Traxxtion Dynamics here in Atlanta. A few pictures of the "parts". The stock rod on the right is pressed metal, notice the shape and hole size compared to the new precision machined rods. The weight difference of the materials is substantial. The new rods allow for better more even fluid flow. New springs and valves. Adjusted for my weight and riding style. I ride one up 95% of the time. The shop is 25 miles from the house, a cool ride this morning at 41 degrees. The difference on the return trip was well worth the cost ($536). Much crisper feedback, handling and overall ride.

I also installed the backrest, ($50), wow what a difference. Just taking off the bumper made a huge difference in available seat room. Downside of the backrest is rear passenger room, this can be solved in 60 seconds with an allen wrench. The picture was taken before I installed the provided shims which position the backrest a little more upright which made a more comfortable riding position for me at 5'9". Legroom has increased with the removal of the bumper. For me, I feel much more comfortable and stable. With the Airhawk R ($137) and the backrest I have no more pressure points in my seat or lower back. Two back surgeries in 2010, I need comfort and support.

Next up Givi 214AF and probably a top case ( looking for suggestions). Modifications are not for everyone and we all have different budgets, riding requirements. But we all share the enjoyment of riding. Yes, it is a scooter!! Having as much fun as ever riding. For me, this will add to "my" riding experience.
Back to top Go down
flylow
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
flylow

PostSubject: Re: Seat, backrest, suspension, windshield    Seat, backrest, suspension, windshield  I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 08, 2014 8:17 pm

Photos- Obviously I didn't attach properly
Seat, backrest, suspension, windshield  Img_0917

Seat, backrest, suspension, windshield  Img_0918

Seat, backrest, suspension, windshield  Img_0919

Seat, backrest, suspension, windshield  Img_0920

Seat, backrest, suspension, windshield  Img_0921

Back to top Go down
DaveR
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2009-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Seat, backrest, suspension, windshield    Seat, backrest, suspension, windshield  I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 08, 2014 10:47 pm

On my 2005, I have the Hyper-pro's, Givi 214A, and a Bestem T-Box. Replaced the "Rollers with the Sliders. To each his own but I like the mod's I have and wouldn't be without them. I have 47,500 smiles on the Silverwing am 78 years old a little decrepit but still riding. God has blessed!
Back to top Go down
DaveR
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

PostSubject: Re: Seat, backrest, suspension, windshield    Seat, backrest, suspension, windshield  I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 08, 2014 10:50 pm

P.S. I likewise made the exhaust extensions out of chrome sink drain pipe. It looks much like the picture above but is a gun metal gray. I also have the chrome guard trim. . .
Back to top Go down
billc.
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
billc.

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2010-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Seat, backrest, suspension, windshield    Seat, backrest, suspension, windshield  I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 09, 2014 9:34 am

BESTEM top boxes is located in Tucker, GA. Very convenient for you and a good "value" in topbox.

Made my chrome exhaust extensions cut at 45 degree angle from sink drain pipes from Home Depot.
Back to top Go down
toolboxjesse
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
toolboxjesse

Number of posts : 330
Registration date : 2011-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Seat, backrest, suspension, windshield    Seat, backrest, suspension, windshield  I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 09, 2014 12:24 pm

Regarding Bestem- I have personal experience picking up directly from them. I bought the 929 top box, which looks like it would fit on a GIVI monokey rack, however the latching mechanism is reversed from the GIVI version so not compatible. The JCwhitney box which used to be compatible with GIVI is no longer compatible due to changes in latch design.
A few weeks ago with the BESTEM 929 mounted on my Reflex- I drove over a pothole and the topbox flew off. Thank goodness nobody was behind me.
3 weeks ago I bought a large Kappa box for around $250, which fits perfectly to the GIVI monokey rack on my 3 bikes, so now I can keep the 1 trunk for 3 bikes.

Jesse in Atlanta
Back to top Go down
DaveR
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

PostSubject: Re: Seat, backrest, suspension, windshield    Seat, backrest, suspension, windshield  I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2014 2:02 pm

I would "suggest" if you purchase a Bestem top box: 1. When you first mount it, check and make sure the latch is adjusted so it latches properly. I had to do that with both of the boxes I have had. It is not a big deal but it will save you from having it come off by hitting a pot hole or some hard jolt.
Back to top Go down
toolboxjesse
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
toolboxjesse

Number of posts : 330
Registration date : 2011-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Seat, backrest, suspension, windshield    Seat, backrest, suspension, windshield  I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2014 2:08 pm

I don't know DaveR's comment was directed at me. Prior to the ride that day, and every day I ride, one of my safety checks includes shaking the top box on it's mount. It was solid, and I had not removed the box from the bike for months. I think it was a combination of factors including that cheap Bestem stamped steel mounting plate.

Jesse in Atlanta
Back to top Go down
DaveR
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

PostSubject: Re: Seat, backrest, suspension, windshield    Seat, backrest, suspension, windshield  I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 12, 2014 11:29 am

No, it wasn't directed at anyone in particular. I just said, "what I do when I put the Bestem on my Swing," when I get it NEW. I had the same experience one time of the box coming off and was fortunate it was empty and didn't cause any problems. I do think the mounting latch (combination) needs to be re-designed.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3306
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Seat, backrest, suspension, windshield    Seat, backrest, suspension, windshield  I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 12, 2014 1:39 pm

Box flying off be it Givi or cheaper. I drill box and rear of rack, use security bolt---my GIVI E-46 now has about 500,000 miles on various bikes/scooters and has not fallen off. Think the added bolt nice insurance.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Seat, backrest, suspension, windshield    Seat, backrest, suspension, windshield  I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 12, 2014 11:41 pm

I installed a Bestem box on my last SW. Since the tail piece had such a tipped up angle I made a 3/16" aluminum plate to fit the Bestem mounting plate then cut four spacers with appropriate angles to mount the plate on the tail piece so the aluminum plate was level or parallel with the floor boards. Then the Bestem plate was mounted on top of the aluminum one I'd fabricated. All bolts were SS and all nuts were SS elastic stop nuts aided by a wee drop of blue Loctite. I connected the Bestem lights with a plug and socket pigtail that was well hidden under the box. Installed like that the box was easy off and on, I never carry one unless I know I'll need it. I really gave it the yank, tug and shake test before riding and then rode the bike with it over some really nasty roads to see how much it wiggled. Mirror extensions helped with that, I could actually adjust the mirrors to watch the box for security. It was much easier with the BMW it came with one already installed.
Back to top Go down
Dramhunter
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Dramhunter

Number of posts : 132
Registration date : 2012-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Seat, backrest, suspension, windshield    Seat, backrest, suspension, windshield  I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 18, 2014 7:46 am

I've owned two Silver Wings, a 2001 and my current 2010 bought with less than 3000 miles on. Bikes immediately previous were a trio of airhead ex-police BMW R80RT's and I loved them but fancied a change of direction.

The Silver Wing is one great machine though like all machines it has some downside though, for me, these are few. Haven't yet done a sustained long trip but plenty of short and medium ones. I fitted the Givi Airflow screen - DO IT!! It is such a worthwhile modification. I try to keep mod's to a minimum thugh for mainly financial reasons.

A also thought of a top box but have concernes about the handling. Handling noticeably changes with a passenger up the back and my wife doesn't think she'd like the look of the bike with a box on. Sometimes I like the look and sometimes I don't. With my last beemer I had Givi Monokey luggage and sometimes I just preferred to ride without the box. I do, though, have another great wee adition - a "tank" bag!! It's a custom shaped, usefully sized weather proof tank bag style bag that fits between the riders seat and the dashboard using webbing straps and clips. It's absolutely brilliant, I never take it off. I use it for things I may want quick access to without having to switch off and open the seat or things I want to take with me when I park, perhaps when I use it to go to work. It also enhances the look of the machine I feel.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i57svrfmkhlzizr/210814_4390.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5y1y84prw3cvvnp/210814_4392.JPG?dl=0

Last edited by Dramhunter on Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://northlight.artistwebsites.com/index.html
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4192
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Seat, backrest, suspension, windshield    Seat, backrest, suspension, windshield  I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 18, 2014 10:54 am

I can assure you a top box doesn't affect the handling on a Silver Wing, solo or with a passenger and I ride with a Givi E55 attached all the time. It's fitted with the Givi back rest in the correct place (on the lid), and Mrs M is very comfortable sitting there and she say's it far better than the 650 Burgman I had previously. She's enjoyed Euro trips with me on both the Burgman and the Silver Wing so I value her opinion on these matters

In my experience as long as you adjust tyre pressures and rear suspension settings the added weight of a passenger to the handling of a Silver Wing. Even a passenger getting on and off the Silver Wing is a lot easier for the rider than the weight shift of a passenger doing the same on the big lardass Burgman.

If you or your wife don't like the idea of having a large top box fitted, you must prefer clumping round places you visit on hot days carrying your helmets or riding jackets because there isn't enough storage space under the seat to stow away everything.
Back to top Go down
Dramhunter
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Dramhunter

Number of posts : 132
Registration date : 2012-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Seat, backrest, suspension, windshield    Seat, backrest, suspension, windshield  I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 18, 2014 11:15 am

Thank you for your insight but I think you jump to a rather unfair conclusion, Meldrew. It's quite a leap to decide that I or my wife prefer to be uncomfortably encumbered with kit simply because we are unsure if we like the look of a top box fitted to our Silver Wing. I could conclude that, because you do use one, that you enjoy bearing far too much stuff with you on any given journey. And I always adjust tyre pressure and suspension settings when carrying a passenger.

To date I have never felt encumbered without a top box. I have, on many occassions, parked up and stowed my helmet and two piece riding suit under the seat, no problem. Sometimes to the amazement of others. I've even carried my professional photography equipment in the underseat compartment and a partially dissasembled rifle when going to a competition. It's for those reasons also that I hesitate about a top box, wondering if it may just encourage the carriage of too much stuff just because I can. I'd also be concerned that the maximum weight could be easily exceeded with a top box filled as well as under the seat, a tank bag and a Bride on the back. But sometimes I feel it looks good.......
Back to top Go down
http://northlight.artistwebsites.com/index.html
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Seat, backrest, suspension, windshield    Seat, backrest, suspension, windshield  I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 18, 2014 12:39 pm

Dramhunter wrote:
<> I ... have another great wee adition - a "tank" bag!! It's a custom shaped, usefully sized weather proof tank bag style bag that fits between the riders seat and the dashboard using webbing straps and clips. It's absolutely brilliant, I never take it off. I use it for things I may want quick access to without having to switch off and open the seat or things I want to take with me when I park, perhaps when I use it to go to work. It also enhances the look of the machine I feel.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i57svrfmkhlzizr/210814_4390.JPG?dl=0

The Tank Bag in the photo looks like it might be a DJ Ellis tank bag (aka Silverwingstuff.com). I've been using my DJ Ellis bag since 2003 and, with 90,000 miles, it still gives great service. If the tank bag you're using is another brand please share some photos and information. I'm sure that others here would appreciate the knowing that there are other tank/tunnel bag options available.

Tim
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Seat, backrest, suspension, windshield    Seat, backrest, suspension, windshield  I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 18, 2014 12:47 pm

I don't think I've jumped to any conclusions at all, on a two up tour we can get all personal clothing for the tour into a 15 litre Eagle Creek pack each and carry it under the seat. Our overnight kit for the ferries goes in a daysack into the top box, on the ferry our helmets go into box replacing the rucksack. Waterproofs go into a tunnel bag and I've been using one since I originally modified a Chase Harper tank bag for my Helix back in the Nineties. As for carrying too much kit, I've regularly Euro toured for over 30 years now and constantly refined my kit list over the years.  I wear a lot of Rohan and similar lightweight gear and I rinse my small clothes through in hotel bathrooms. I wouldn't waste underseat space lugging camera gear around either, a point and shoot camera and an iPad are sufficient these days.

A lot of the other stuff I use is below on my Signature which seems to have disappeared. I only need to use soft panniers on two up trips for stuff we buy over in Germany or elsewhere, and Ortlieb bags are useful on solo trips. I can also secure boots and other kit in an Ortlieb bag covered in a Pacsafe net so we can walk round in t shirts and shorts.

You may be able to get a bike jackets under the seat along with your helmet, I can get my HG Air jacket in along with a helmet, but that depends on whether you can fold it or bend it depending on the amount of armour fitted, or if you wear a separate back protector. Apart from the usual under seat junk, first aid kits and spare bulbs required in Europe. You certainly won't get two helmets and jackets in there.

When I came back from my last trip from Germany in September, I had fully loaded seat storage, top box, tunnel bag, and two packed Ortlieb bags strapped to the passenger seat behind me. In fact I had no room to pack away the Klim Overland jacket I made a detour to buy on the way home and had it sent by UPS. I experienced no handling problems at all and was even getting 65+ mpg.

Last edited by Meldrew on Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:12 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

PostSubject: Re: Seat, backrest, suspension, windshield    Seat, backrest, suspension, windshield  I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 18, 2014 9:37 pm

Dramhunter what do I see on the right side of the front wheel? At first I thought it was a reflector but I don't see one on the left side.
I couldn't get by without a top box as I use my scooter 99.999% of the time. Last year I put 17 miles and this year I went wild and put 65 miles on my car. At first I agreed with what you said about the looks of scooter with the top box and I would remove it when I didn't need it. After awhile I started thinking it looked odd without the top box and now I leave it on all the time. I try to leave it empty so if I decide to stop at a store I know I have room for for most anything I may want to buy.
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

Number of posts : 876
Registration date : 2012-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Seat, backrest, suspension, windshield    Seat, backrest, suspension, windshield  I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 19, 2014 5:03 am

model28a wrote:
Dramhunter what do I see on the right side of the front wheel? At first I thought it was a reflector but I don't see one on the left side.
Obviously its a flux capacitor!
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Seat, backrest, suspension, windshield    Seat, backrest, suspension, windshield  I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 19, 2014 6:00 am

It's a UK Road Tax Disc holder and for at least the last 50 or 60 years all UK motor vehicles had to display a current paper Road Tax disc pre-paid for either 6 months or 12 months. Cars could easily display them through the windscreen in an adhesive plastic holder.

Motorbikes and scooters used plastic or metal holders to display the tax disc and a fork leg was one of the easiest places to fit one. A couple of months ago the paper disc was scrapped and we now road tax vehicles online. The Police can easily check if we're taxed using the licence plate number and a database.

Millions of road users still have the tax discs on display even now they're obsolete, and motorcycle tax disc holders are still on the shelves in some stores. scratch
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

PostSubject: Re: Seat, backrest, suspension, windshield    Seat, backrest, suspension, windshield  I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 19, 2014 4:15 pm

Thank you Meldrew for explaining that for me. I guess it shows that I've never been over the pond. I also noticed you must not need the reflectors we are required to have here. Even though they are required a lot of people remove them.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Seat, backrest, suspension, windshield    Seat, backrest, suspension, windshield  I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 19, 2014 5:37 pm

Side reflectors aren't required, you do see the odd 'grey import' cruiser or US spec import bike with them fitted. I had a new BMW R100/7 back in the Seventies with amber reflectors moulded into the fork legs which were probably there for the US market, and my US spec Helix had the front indicators constantly lit as running lights which I liked.
Back to top Go down
flylow
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
flylow

PostSubject: Re: Seat, backrest, suspension, windshield    Seat, backrest, suspension, windshield  I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 24, 2014 4:34 pm

I've put about 350 miles on SW since I had the front suspension done. What a difference. Smoother, responsive, almost no dive, curves are more fun. Overall I feel the stability has increased at all speeds. Only had it up to 85 so far. Hope to put on the Givi AF in the next couple of weeks. Givi has a huge showroom and distribution center in Charlotte, NC, about 300 miles from Atlanta. Sounds like a good ride to me on the backroads. They will also install for free anything that is purchased at the showroom. Good excuse to run an errand or two. Thanks so much from everyone on inputs. Have a Merry Christmas.
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

PostSubject: Re: Seat, backrest, suspension, windshield    Seat, backrest, suspension, windshield  I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 24, 2014 4:39 pm

flylow,

That sounds great that you like it. I had the Hyperpro springs installed and it gave the SWing a much better ride. You should really like the Givi AF as well. I had 4 screens and the AF was the best IMO. Tell us how you like it when you get it installed.
Back to top Go down
flylow
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
flylow

PostSubject: Re: Seat, backrest, suspension, windshield    Seat, backrest, suspension, windshield  I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 24, 2014 4:46 pm

Also, the backrest and AirHawkR are great. My backside can go for a full tank. The extra room gained from removing the butt bumper is great for the legs. More more leg extension and much better riding position.
Back to top Go down
flylow
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
flylow

PostSubject: Re: Seat, backrest, suspension, windshield    Seat, backrest, suspension, windshield  I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 31, 2014 9:28 pm

Well, Santa delivered to me a brand new Corbin Saddle and backrest. Look great, feels great, smells great. Just doesn't fit too well. Won't latch. I am/was extremely happy with my modifications to my seat as mentioned previously. Now, do I go through the PITA modifications to the Corbin or just ship it back. For the price my wife paid, I personally think it should fit perfectly. I've tried calling them, but with the holidays they closed. Monday will be the deciding factor when I talk with them. Sure looks good though, but I will take function at this point. I'm also concerned about the weight and the ability of the hydraulic lift being capable of supporting the saddle. Standby
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

PostSubject: Re: Seat, backrest, suspension, windshield    Seat, backrest, suspension, windshield  I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 31, 2014 11:01 pm

flylow,

Congrats on the new Corbin seat and I'm sure it is very comfortable. You might do a search here about the latching of the Corbin. I know that there is a post or two about the latch for the Corbin seat on the SWing. If I remember they put a spacer or something like that to get it to latch properly. But do a search and I'm sure you will find the solution. It seems everyone who has installed a Corbin really liked it.
Back to top Go down
sctr199
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
sctr199

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2013-07-29

PostSubject: Re: Seat, backrest, suspension, windshield    Seat, backrest, suspension, windshield  I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 31, 2014 11:06 pm

I bought myself a Corbin seat & backrest for Xmas and although I haven't ridden a lot of miles with it yet, I àm very pleased so far with the improved support it gives my backside. Mine also won't latch without a firm slap of the hand, but I think it will loosen up over time. I read somewhere here of another Corbin owner shimming the rear latch so it will engage the locking mechanism.

I also had been using an Air hawk - R on the old seat, will see if I can do without it on the Corbin. Really works great on my V-Strom though.
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

PostSubject: Re: Seat, backrest, suspension, windshield    Seat, backrest, suspension, windshield  I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 31, 2014 11:08 pm

I found the topic about putting a washer/spacer at the latch:

https://www.silverwing600.com/t1841-just-installed-a-new-corbin-seat?highlight=corbin
Back to top Go down

Seat, backrest, suspension, windshield
Page 1 of 1